the "official Denon AVR-2308ci / AVR-888 owners thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 830 Old 08-01-2009, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Wait, are you joking? How did you gather from the manul and/or my website that the 2308 doesn't suppert hdmi switching? What do you think the hdmi inputs on the back are for?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 830 Old 08-02-2009, 05:23 AM
tc1
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Italian...,

I see that you have only two posts. If you are also that new to this subject you have many hours of reading/study to get the most from your equipment. If you have a good understanding it will require at least a couple hours of reading to be aware of all the options you have with the 2308 or any other decent AVR. That is because you have many options which also means decisions. If that seems like a pain in the butt it can be. But in my experience "user friendly" usually means no reading because there are no options or decisions to be made. Plug it in where it says and turn it on and take what you get because you have no choice meaning No options. I am not trying to be a smart a$$ here just telling it the way I see it. Your question indicates that you did not read and/or understand all the material provided. Direction and pointers can be found here but not unless one has done some reading first.

HTPC With OTA only, HD with Surround is so AWESOME!
post #543 of 830 Old 08-13-2009, 03:53 PM

Liked: 10
Hey, Im trying to hook up my Xbox to this bad boy, but it isn't working. I can hook up standard audio and video just fine, but the HD video is a little more difficult. I've tried every HD input on this thing and nothing works. Can someone help me? I have the AVR-888. This system is so complicated, I'm not going to have to buy an HDMI cable or something like that, am I?
post #544 of 830 Old 08-13-2009, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

first, is it a regular Xbox or a 360?

second, is it an older 360 with component only or is it HDMI capable?

third, are you trying to hook it up so that it goes out to your TV via an HDMI cable (e.g. converted in the receiver?)

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #545 of 830 Old 08-13-2009, 04:58 PM

It is an Xbox360. It is the elite version, relatively new, and is HDMI capable. It has the HD RBG chords and RYW chords, if that is what you are asking. I am trying to hook it up to the AVR-888 which in turn is wirelessly connected to my DVD, Projector, Cablebox etc. Im hooking it up with just the RBG chords and the standard Yellow and White Audio, I did not put the Yellow standard video chord in. The name of the Xbox360 cable I am using is the "Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable"
post #546 of 830 Old 08-13-2009, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

the AVR-888 which in turn is wirelessly connected to my DVD, Projector, Cablebox etc.

you have wireless connections! how does that work?

OK, I am assuming you want to go from the AVR 888 via an HDMI cable to your display, right? The AVR 888 will convert analog video to HDMI output.... the problem is that it will NOT do it with 1080p video. Honestly, if you have a spare HDMI input on the 888 I would just grab an HDMI cable (under 10 bucks from monoprice) and call it a day.

But, here's how you do it with component (RGB) cables. What you want to do is hook up the Xbox 360 via the component cable (plus an optical audio cable for digital audio) into a spare input on the Denon.

Then, the critical step is you need to find an unused "name" like "VCR" or "HDP" or something, and then ASSIGN THE INPUTS you used to that name. For example, if you plugged into the Component #2 spot and Optical #1, and you want to use "VCR", you would need to go to the INPUT SETUP menu, select "VCR" at the top, and then go to ASSIGN and set it to "RCA-2" and "OPT-1" and everything else to "None". You can of course rename it to say "XBOX 360" instead of "VCR". Then, when you select the "VCR" input, it will say "XBOX 360" on the display and it will use the video from comp #2 and the audio from opt #1. (If you don't have an optical cable and are just going to use the red/white analog audio for now, make sure to plug it into the same name you just used, e.g. "VCR" inputs, or else it won't match up).

Now, the final step relates to what I said above: the Denon will NOT convert component video that is 1080p. So you need to set the Xbox 360 to output at a lower resolution (720p or 1080i) and then it will output over HDMI to your display.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #547 of 830 Old 08-13-2009, 05:12 PM

Thanx! Ill try that right now!
post #548 of 830 Old 08-23-2009, 10:21 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1 View Post

I have a 2308 but they are supposed to be the same. You said the laptop has S-video out and the denon has S-video in so that should be covered. If it has a stereo jack out for external speakers you can get a converter cable to go to RCA jacks.

That could work! Based on your experience, what a/v setting does the Denon need to be on?
post #549 of 830 Old 08-23-2009, 11:31 AM
tc1
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridbug View Post

That could work! Based on your experience, what a/v setting does the Denon need to be on?

Sorry, I got all my variables worked out over a year ago and have not been down that road since. For details you will have to go to the manual unless batpig has a quick answer.

post #550 of 830 Old 08-23-2009, 11:39 AM
tc1
Advanced Member

Can tell you this. If it were me I would just pretend it was an analog vcr when looking at setup on the Denon.

post #551 of 830 Old 09-07-2009, 11:31 AM

Hello All, first post.

Just purchased an AVR-888 and so far it seems to have a lot of potential.

Currently I am configured as a 2.1 setup. Fronts JBL N38II. Sub is a TSC ASW-10 connected through line input from the sub out.

The Denon replaced a Sony receiver, and although it lacked quality, technical and power features, it seemed to sound much better, especially on the bass end. Which brings me to this forum...

I don't have any bass it seems, no punch, nothing from my iPod connected through any input. Movies sound okay but are lacking from the bottom end. Followed the manual exactly and tweaked with the manual eq, all parameters. I even lowered all eq bands to -10db and left the 60hz band at +6, still not what I am looking for. Also, maximized the sub level to +12, which when the tone was running through it sounded fine, but not the case when playing audio. Also, fronts set to Large and Sub in LFE+Main mode. Front cutoff is 40hz. Even gave in to the Audyssey setup with mic 3 times with a tripod, but no go.

Am I missing something? I do not want to advance my system any further, maybe eventually run 3.1.

Thank you all, looking forward to adding what I can and learning even more!
post #552 of 830 Old 09-07-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I am fairly sure the problem is that your crossover is too low, your speakers are only spec'd to 45Hz but probably don't even get THAT low, so with a 40Hz crossover there is a hole in the bass response and almost no bass is being redirected to the sub.

let's get down to manual setup for a second:

1. reset the microprocessor so you clear out everything (e.g. restoring all the EQ bands and levels).

2. set the receiver in SPEAKER CONFIG to your 2.1 setup (e.g. make sure center and surrounds are turned off).

3. set the fronts to SMALL

4. scroll down to CROSSOVER FREQ and set the crossover to 100Hz

5. go to CHANNEL LEVELS and run the test tones, manually dial in the subwoofer volume knob on the subwoofer until it is giving a nice level of rumble.

6. back out of Speaker Setup, and then go to the AUDIO SETUP menu and check the 2CH DIRECT/STEREO menu and make sure the settings are still on BASIC (so they use the parameters you just set up).

Now, play some content -- is the subwoofer working? Tweak up the bass levels with the tone controls (forget about manual EQ for now), just go to standard Bass/Treble and boost the bass up a few dB's. Play around with crossovers (e.g. try 80Hz also) and tone controls and try and get the sound right.

Once it sounds good, note what you needed for crossover frequency, SW channel level (relative to the mains), and tone controls and then re-run Audyssey. After running Audyssey, go to Manual Setup and reset these settings to the ones you dialed in manually.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #553 of 830 Old 09-09-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

I am fairly sure the problem is that your crossover is too low, your speakers are only spec'd to 45Hz but probably don't even get THAT low, so with a 40Hz crossover there is a hole in the bass response and almost no bass is being redirected to the sub.

let's get down to manual setup for a second:

1. reset the microprocessor so you clear out everything (e.g. restoring all the EQ bands and levels).

2. set the receiver in SPEAKER CONFIG to your 2.1 setup (e.g. make sure center and surrounds are turned off).

3. set the fronts to SMALL

4. scroll down to CROSSOVER FREQ and set the crossover to 100Hz

5. go to CHANNEL LEVELS and run the test tones, manually dial in the subwoofer volume knob on the subwoofer until it is giving a nice level of rumble.

6. back out of Speaker Setup, and then go to the AUDIO SETUP menu and check the 2CH DIRECT/STEREO menu and make sure the settings are still on BASIC (so they use the parameters you just set up).

Now, play some content -- is the subwoofer working? Tweak up the bass levels with the tone controls (forget about manual EQ for now), just go to standard Bass/Treble and boost the bass up a few dB's. Play around with crossovers (e.g. try 80Hz also) and tone controls and try and get the sound right.

Once it sounds good, note what you needed for crossover frequency, SW channel level (relative to the mains), and tone controls and then re-run Audyssey. After running Audyssey, go to Manual Setup and reset these settings to the ones you dialed in manually.

You nailed it, my crossover was set too low... and boy did things come to life. Movies haven't sounded this good at home. The staging is very nice and I have to say the speakers I have really match well, the voice tones are nicely detailed. Audyssey beefs up the lower-mid and upper-high bands it seems but just by a few decibels. That's fine with me as I prefer things to be closer to unchanged and sounding just as good naturally. Well done Denon. And of course, big thanks to the batpigman.

Now onto sub placement. I have hardwood floors and a down-firing sub. This is going to be tricky.
post #554 of 830 Old 11-22-2009, 11:56 AM

I have recently added a Sonos system to the house with a satellite in the living room that is plugged into the 2308ci there. I am running digital line out of the Sonos into Digital CD in on the 2308. I've defined an entry on the Harmony remote that gives me the Sonos with 5ch stereo and it works just fine.

The 2308 is setup with a single HDMI line to the TV, so that I am able to watch TV (directv DVR goes into 2308 thru HDMI) or DVD (component) thru the 2308.

What I want to do, tho, is to have the picture from the directv on the TV while I'm listening to the Sonos and I have NOT been able to figure out how to get this to work.

I have tried setting up the VCR input to handle this, but am not being offered the "digital" input option when I do this.

I've poked around in the manual and amp for 2 days now and just can't get this working.

Is it possible to do this?? If so, what part am I getting wrong??

If it can't be done, that's OK. Right now, I just turn the downstairs Sonos zone up so that I can hear it upstairs.

Any help or suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.

Keith
post #555 of 830 Old 11-22-2009, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

sorry, Keith, not possible with HDMI.

see the fifth question in my FAQ:
http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #556 of 830 Old 11-23-2009, 03:15 PM

Thanx for the info, batpig.

I looked thru the FAQ, but obviously missed that.

Keith
post #557 of 830 Old 11-26-2009, 02:22 PM

I've got the AVR-888 receiver and have not gotten into the blu-ray world since I still have an older Toshiba 36" CRT HDTV. It's capable of receiving 1080i through the component cables but but does not have DVI or HDMI inputs. With blu-ray players getting lower in price, I was wondering if I could take advantage of my current equipment to view and upconvert DVD's with the blu-ray player. I know you have to use the hdmi output of the DVD player for the upconvert feature. I thought about running the HDMI output from the blu-ray to the AVR-888. Then using the component outs of the avr-888 going into my TV. On paper it sounds like it should work but I know you always have internal things that can go wrong. I know I should upgrade my tv and I'd love to. But my current TV (which I paid way too much for years ago) still has a beautiful picture and I'm not taking advantage of the HDTV portion of it. Will this setup work and if not, please explain why. Thanks!
post #558 of 830 Old 11-26-2009, 06:19 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 1333
Sorry, but it will not work as the AVR cannot do HDMI --> component down conversion. There are, however, HDMI--> component converters available such as this one.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #559 of 830 Old 11-26-2009, 08:36 PM

I figured it was going to sound too easy. Thanks jdsmoothie!
post #560 of 830 Old 12-05-2009, 10:05 AM

Hey guys, have any of you ran across this problem.

I have a Denon AVR-888 and when I run stereo (2 channel) it sounds good, with plenty of loudness. I've tried multiple sources, HDMI, RCA, etc and it the same story -- 2 channel = loud, surround = quiet

When I switch to 5 channel sound the volume drops, were I have to crank it up all the way just to hear sound. I'm hoping there's a setting that's messed up that I just can't find....I'll keep fiddling with it hope I can find the solution.

Things it could be, but I doubt it....and I'll try playing with now...
1) all my speakers aren't hooked up (the rears and sub)
2) the fronts towers are have bi-amp connections with the short circuiting boards in place...but I'm not driving them as bi-amp...again shouldn't be a problem as the stereo sound is great.

Thanks.
post #561 of 830 Old 12-05-2009, 10:23 AM
585-645-1006

Agreed. Neither 1 nor 2 should be an issue at all. Have you run AUTO SETUP? So you've got a 3.0 setup? When you say 5-Channel sound ... do you mean DD, PLII or 5 channel stereo?

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #562 of 830 Old 12-05-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Agreed. Neither 1 nor 2 should be an issue at all. Have you run AUTO SETUP? So you've got a 3.0 setup? When you say 5-Channel sound ... do you mean DD, PLII or 5 channel stereo?

Actually I have a 5.1 set up...I turned it on to listen before I did more work and found that when DD, PLII, or 5 channel stereo, etc are very quiet (video pass through works fine) when the 2 channel stereo is very loud.

I did not run the auto set up, as I don't have the mic. I did go through the complete manual set up, but didn't find anything that made a difference. Maybe I'll try and find a mic and run the auto set up, but the delta in sound between multi channel and stereo seems very wrong and I be surprised if the auto set up fixes it...but maybe it will. thanks for the reply.

UPDATE: it's anything digital that's really quiet. All my analog sources in stereo are great, anything with digital processing is super quiet (including the analog sources). Super quiet means at +18db its very quiet.

The speakers are 8ohm, so that's not the prob.
post #563 of 830 Old 12-06-2009, 11:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

reset the microprocessor. If that doesn't fix it, unfortunately, you may have a defective unit...

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #564 of 830 Old 12-07-2009, 12:55 PM

thanks, i'm pretty sure it's defective, was unplugged for over 12 hours.

Now to buy or fix....hmm.

Thanks again all.
post #565 of 830 Old 12-14-2009, 10:32 AM

Here's the setup. I've got a Panny 42" pz77u running an OTA antenna. I'm sending the audio back over optical to the 888. Lately the audio has been cutting out - like it's having trouble locking on to the optical signal and stutters in and out. I've had the setup for about a year and three months with no problems until the last couple of weeks. The TV has no problems with it's own speakers and the picture is fine. Has anyone else run into this problem?

"What is truth?" - Pontius Pilate
"I am the way and the truth and the light" - Jesus Christ
post #566 of 830 Old 12-14-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottachopwood View Post

thanks, i'm pretty sure it's defective, was unplugged for over 12 hours.

Now to buy or fix....hmm.

Thanks again all.

Did you actually do the micro-processor reset? That can fix things that leaving it unplugged will never fix. I've even fixed a Denon receiver that someone threw out once with a reset.
post #567 of 830 Old 12-14-2009, 12:23 PM
tc1
Advanced Member

tvtommy, I have had the same connection on a 2308 for over 2 years and no problem. I have optical from my TV and from HTPC.

Do you have more then one port to try on the 888?

Even if you have not moved anything I would disconnect and vacum ports at both ends and reconnect as a first step.

Is it only on certain channel(s)? Remember DTV is either recieving or Not.

Cables kinked?

post #568 of 830 Old 12-14-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1 View Post

tvtommy, I have had the same connection on a 2308 for over 2 years and no problem. I have optical from my TV and from HTPC.

Do you have more then one port to try on the 888?

Even if you have not moved anything I would disconnect and vacum ports at both ends and reconnect as a first step.

Is it only on certain channel(s)? Remember DTV is either recieving or Not.

Cables kinked?

I can try the other optical port on the 888. The sound is dropping out and coming back in - similar to the picture on my little tv with the coupon box and a crappy indoor antenna. It freezes and gets all blocky and then comes back. On the 888 it's only on the optical. I'll change some things around and clean it up a bit.

Cheers!

"What is truth?" - Pontius Pilate
"I am the way and the truth and the light" - Jesus Christ
post #569 of 830 Old 12-26-2009, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I currently am using a Denon AVR-2802 and an Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray player connected through the 6 channel analog inputs to process the DTS-MA, DD-HD and DVD-Audio and SACD muti-channel. I am looking at moving this receiver to replace a Denon 3200 in another room. I found a AVR-2308 and am trying to determine if I can connect the Oppo player through the HDMI and allow the player to decode the DTS-MA and DD-HD which from what I have read the receiver will do. What I need to know is if the HDMI input will allow me to play the DVD-Audio and SACD in multi-channel without having to connect the analog Ext-in. Any help would be apprecitated.
post #570 of 830 Old 12-26-2009, 06:31 AM
585-645-1006

AFAIK, although it will process DVD-A, it will not do SACD-DSD as the 280X is the lowest level that will do SACD over HDMI.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 888 7 1 Channel 5 1 2 Channel Independent Zone Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi I O And Ser

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page