the "official Denon AVR-2308ci / AVR-888 owners thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 830 Old 08-10-2010, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 1248
sounds like an HDMI handshake problem with the new HD box. Unfortunately pretty common with cable/sat boxes and HDMI.

you may want to switch the box to component + optical instead of HDMI, or run the HDMI cable direct-to-TV (bypassing the receiver for video) with an optical audio cable to the AVR for audio.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 830 Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would getting a new cable box rectify the problem? Cause I had no conflict with the DVR that I had prior.
post #633 of 830 Old 08-12-2010, 09:14 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Unless you switched back to the same model DVR you had previously, there's no guarantee that another model or unit would work any better. Try connecting to the other HDMI jack if not already tried. Also, if you are able to resolve the issue by moving some knobs, then I would spend time figuring out what works and use that. Otherwise, as bp suggested, consider connecting the HDMI directly to the TV w/optical to the 2308 or go component video/optical audio from the cable box to the 2308.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #634 of 830 Old 08-12-2010, 09:40 AM

Hey guys...as it turns out I actually have the 2309. Going to try switching to a different hdmi port. I do have another question...probably a simple answer. Here is my set up...

Component 3 (Cable/Tv) Apple TV
HDMI 1 (DVD) Comcast Cable Box
HDMI 3 (VCR) PS3

I skipped the HDMI 2 (HDP) cause on the remote they share a button. If I use this input is there a way via the remote where you could toggle between DVD/HDP.
post #635 of 830 Old 08-12-2010, 09:44 AM
585-645-1006

Sure. Either use the HDP button on the back of the remote or simply assign that HDMI jack to another input source name.

"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #636 of 830 Old 09-03-2010, 12:48 AM

Hello,
Just wondering if anyone can suggest a fix for my issue with no sound from the Zone 2 Out RCA connections?

I have wired the Zone 2 Out RCA connections to a Quest in-wall QVCII 75 watt impedance matched volume control, but can't seem to get any output to Zone 2.

The source works in Main but not in Zone 2. I have confirmed continuity and polarity of the wires between the AVR and Volume Control.

I checked the Amp Assign settings and I'm using setting 1: 5.1 Main + Zone 2 stereo, which should work.

Any thoughts?
post #637 of 830 Old 09-03-2010, 07:15 AM
585-645-1006

Are you aware that only "analog" sources can be sent to Zone 2?

"JD" –

post #638 of 830 Old 09-03-2010, 08:29 AM

Yes. I'm only trying to send Stereo to Zone 2.

I'm using a Rothdock wireless iPod dock, connected to the AUX input, as my Source.

I would assume that since the Rothdock receiver has only 1 pair of RCA connections that I'm using Analog.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
post #639 of 830 Old 09-03-2010, 08:42 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelster View Post

I checked the Amp Assign settings and I'm using setting 1: 5.1 Main + Zone 2 stereo, which should work.

Any thoughts?

The AMP Assign setting won't matter as you're using the Zone 2 pre-outs. Do you have the V. AUX input source selected for Zone 2? Try connecting your side surround speakers to the surround back speaker posts and see if you can get the Zone 2 audio to them.

"JD" –

post #640 of 830 Old 09-03-2010, 10:03 AM

thanks jds...

I just realized that I have a 'speaker control' not a second amp. I should be using the B speakers posts for Zone 2. I'll stop by Radio Shack and pick-up a pair of RCA to spade adapters and wire my speaker control to the B speakers. That should do it... I hope.

Thanks Again.
post #641 of 830 Old 09-03-2010, 10:53 AM
585-645-1006

If you're not using an external amp, then you should be able to connect the Surround Back/Amp Assign speakers to the QVCII with speaker wire directly.

"JD" –

post #642 of 830 Old 10-03-2010, 12:17 PM

I have my tv hooked up directly to the receiver with an HDMI cable. This is my only connection between the tv and the receiver. The volume was working last night for my tv and this morning...nothing. My vido works, I get a picture but no sound for my tv. I get volume for my tuner, dvd, etc just don't have volume now for my tv. Does anyone have any idea what could have happened??
post #643 of 830 Old 10-03-2010, 03:07 PM
585-645-1006

This question is related a bit to your last post back in July (which was confusing to say the least), however, as you never bothered to respond to bp's answer back then, what you're trying to do is a bit confusing for this question as well. It seems you're apparently still confused about how audio connections work. The HDMI cable that connects the AVR to the TV passes HDMI video ONLY "TO" the TV, unless the HDMI Audio Out setting is set to TV, then it will pass HDMI audio "TO" the TV as well. If you're having a problem with audio through your TV speakers, it's likely an issue with your TV, although again, without more information it's hard to know what you're trying to do.

"JD" –

post #644 of 830 Old 10-17-2010, 10:57 AM

Hello
I have lurked here a little, and read most of this thread, and now I have a problem that prompts me to ask for help.

I have 2308 that I've never gotten to work really well. I have been unable to get surround sound from the DVD player trough hdmi. That is, I could get set the output so there was sound from the back speakers, but I did not get the actual 5.1 sound track. I have assumed this is because of the EDID problems described at avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1012239 (I'm not allowed to post the full url, it seems.)

After simply ignoring the problem for a year or two I recently tried upgrading the firmware. But that only made the the problem worse. I have gone from being able to watch movies with stereo sound, to getting no sound at all and an image with completely wrong colors.

The firmware upgrade program did not report any errors. The DVD player is a rather cheap one called Denver. I have hdmi from it to the amp, and hdmi from amp to tv.

When everything is connected the way I think it should be, including all variations I can think of to the setup of both amp and dvd player, the colors on the TV is all wrong and there is no sound. The left side of the LCD display shows a little box with "ana", but no channel indicators below.

If I change to a different source on the TV, there's suddenly sound out. The LCD display now indicates a 2 channel digital input.

If I set the HDMI Audio input to "TV" instead of Amp, I get sound from the TV speakers, and the picture turns correct.

I have my TV decoder hooked up to the other HDMI input, and that works flawlessly. Bypassing the amp completely with an HDMI cable directly from the DVD player also works. I have switched around the cables and tried the DVD player in both inputs. I have done a reset of the reciever, and also a reset of hdmi that I found described some pages ago in this thread.

Have anybody heard of similar problems, or have suggestions on what else I should try?
post #645 of 830 Old 10-17-2010, 11:39 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fringilla View Post

The left side of the LCD display shows a little box with "ana", but no channel indicators below.

Denver makes a 2 Channel/Stereo only DVD player so check your model to confirm whether it can do DD 5.1 or not, otherwise, the AVR will use DD PLII to simulate 5.1 (ie audio to your rear speakers) from the 2 channel audio signal received. When you see "ana" displayed on the front panel, it means there is no signal being received from the HDMI cable. Check to make sure the DVD source input setting is correct and that INPUT MODE for the DVD source is set to AUTO.

"JD" –

post #646 of 830 Old 10-18-2010, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Denver makes a 2 Channel/Stereo only DVD player so check your model to confirm whether it can do DD 5.1 or not, otherwise, the AVR will use DD PLII to simulate 5.1 (ie audio to your rear speakers) from the 2 channel audio signal received.

The spec says it should do 5.1, and it's equipped with 6 rca plugs for 5.1 as an alternative to hdmi. (I've never tested them, though.) Anyway, at the moment I'm most anxious to figure out why the sound is completely gone and colors are wrong.

Quote:

When you see "ana" displayed on the front panel, it means there is no signal being received from the HDMI cable. Check to make sure the DVD source input setting is correct and that INPUT MODE for the DVD source is set to AUTO.

The input ("3-1 input mode" in the menu) is on auto. And the receiver manages to pick up a sound signal when I turn the TV to another source.

Does anybody have experience with upgrading the firmware? The file I used is FWCV_AVR_AVC-2308_V0052. Should I try to run the upgrade again, or is that likely to cause problems? Is it possible to downgrade again? I can't find older firmware anywhere on Denon's support pages.
post #647 of 830 Old 10-18-2010, 04:43 AM
585-645-1006

AFAIK, once you install a new firmware version, there's no going back to a previous version.

What does "when I change to a different source on the TV there's suddenly sound out" mean? Sound from where?

"JD" –

post #648 of 830 Old 10-18-2010, 06:33 AM
tc1
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
"The input ("3-1 input mode" in the menu) is on auto."

?? If you are talking about the 2308 that should be the HDMI input. Haven't messed with mine in a long time but I don't remember a "3-1" input.

HTPC With OTA only, HD with Surround is so AWESOME!
post #649 of 830 Old 10-18-2010, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1 View Post

?? If you are talking about the 2308 that should be the HDMI input. Haven't messed with mine in a long time but I don't remember a "3-1" input.

Hi tc1, I believe the OP is speaker about the Input Mode button that cycles through Auto > HDMI > Digital.
post #650 of 830 Old 10-18-2010, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The input ("3-1 input mode" in the menu) is on auto. And the receiver manages to pick up a sound signal when I turn the TV to another source.

Hi Fringilla, need to clarify your connection because it appear audio is from Tv to receiver (see bold) and not DVD player to receiver.

If you are running audio from tv to reciever than that may explain why its only getting 2CH stereo.
post #651 of 830 Old 10-18-2010, 07:45 AM
tc1
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Fringilla, need to clarify your connection because it appear audio is from Tv to receiver (see bold) and not DVD player to receiver.

If you are running audio from tv to reciever than that may explain why its only getting 2CH stereo.

Yes do clarify Fringilla. DVD via HDMI to 2308 right? Then 2308 HDMI video out to TV and tell 2308 to keep the audio from the DVD HDMI input.

HTPC With OTA only, HD with Surround is so AWESOME!
post #652 of 830 Old 10-18-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:

AFAIK, once you install a new firmware version, there's no going back to a previous version.

OK, so I'm stuck there.

Quote:

What does "when I change to a different source on the TV there's suddenly sound out" mean? Sound from where?

The amp changes behaviour depending on whether the TV is connected. When the TV shows the movie picture coming from hdmi out on the amp, the amp does not recognize an audio signal. (And the colours in the picture are wrong.) When I turn the TV off, or set it to show a different source, the amp suddenly starts picking up an audio signal, and I get sound from the amp speakers. I do not change anything in the setup on the amp or dvd, I only turn the TV on or off.

To others who asked about the same part: I have one cable from hdmi out on the dvd player, to hdmi 1 on the amp. Then one cable from hmdi out on the amp, to hdmi in on the TV. No cables from the DVD directly to the TV, and no cables from an out port on the TV to an input on the amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1 View Post

"3-1" is the numbering in the menu, not the name. Only I see I somehow got it wrong, the correct number is 3-2. I.e on the main menu it's option 3 input setup, then option 2 input mode. And there's a choice that cycles auto-hdmi-digital-analog-ext.in. Mine is on Auto. (And I've tried the others too just to make sure, without any improvement.)
post #653 of 830 Old 10-18-2010, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I turn the TV off, or set it to show a different source, the amp suddenly starts picking up an audio signal, and I get sound from the amp speakers. I do not change anything in the setup on the amp or dvd, I only turn the TV on or off.

Ok, clarify "or set it to show a different source"? Is this setting to a "different source" on the Tv or on the receiver?
post #654 of 830 Old 10-18-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

When I turn the TV off, or set it to show a different source, the amp suddenly starts picking up an audio signal, and I get sound from the amp speakers. I do not change anything in the setup on the amp or dvd, I only turn the TV on or off.

Ok, clarify "or set it to show a different source"? Is this setting to a "different source" on the Tv or on the receiver?

That's setting the TV to a different source.

And yes, this is odd, so I understand why noone seems to believe me.
post #655 of 830 Old 10-18-2010, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

No odd at all just trying to understand your setup to help out.

What model tv do you own and have you try connecting to other HDMI Input on the tv?

Don't know if it makes a difference but some tv HDMI-1 Input is also setup to accept DVI and this may be the cause of the problem.
post #656 of 830 Old 10-18-2010, 02:27 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

And yes, this is odd, so I understand why noone seems to believe me.

Others in last year's Denon AVR threads posted of this same issue (loss of audio) with connection to the TV; however, in their cases it was because they were using an HDMI-DVI connection to their TV. A firmware update has since been issued for those models which resolved that issue.

You said you changed around the HDMI cables. You might want to just get a whole new set of HDMI cables through forum sponsor Monoprice ($5 ea).

I would bring your DVD player over to a friend's house who has an AVR and using your cable first and then their cable see if you can get DD 5.1 to play correctly. This would resolve whether it's a cable issue, DVD issue, or AVR issue.

"JD" –

post #657 of 830 Old 10-26-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:

No odd at all just trying to understand your setup to help out.

What model tv do you own and have you try connecting to other HDMI Input on the tv?

Don't know if it makes a difference but some tv HDMI-1 Input is also setup to accept DVI and this may be the cause of the problem.

I had it in HDMI1 which is also DVI, but moving it didn't change anything.

But: I went and bought a PS3, and with that both picture and sound is correct. It seems like a bit of a cockup from Denon's side that a firmware update on the amplifier would make the amp and DVD player less able to communicate, but as long as it works now I guess I'm content.
post #658 of 830 Old 12-06-2010, 01:25 PM

Would I be able to use the zone 2 feature to play MP3s through an HTPC connected to my AVR-888 via HDMI? Would this be a digital source and not the analog required for zone 2?

Also, can you toggle back and forth using the 2 channels as rear surrounds (7.1), or zone 2 without having to rewire everything?
post #659 of 830 Old 12-06-2010, 01:31 PM
585-645-1006

No ... only analog to Zone 2. Although you could likely toggle between the two setups, you would lose Audyssey.

"JD" –

post #660 of 830 Old 12-26-2010, 01:51 PM

I am trying to help my father-in-law get the most from his AVR-888 Surround Sound system, but every time I go over to his house, he has the sound mode set to "7 Channel Stereo". When I switch it to the Dolby Digital Source, It sounds like garbage. The speakers sound muffled, no bass, and you can barely hear the voices. He is running a 6.1 system with Polk Audio in-wall speakers (I am not at his house now so I don't have the model numbers, but I can get them if deemed necessary).

I have gone over every setting and I have tried making several adjustments, but nothing seems to make the Dolby Digital or decoding modes sound even remotely good. When I turn the system back to a Stereo setting, the speakers again sound clear which leads me to believe that this is not an issue with the speakers. I also notice that the issue happens on all sources, DirecTV, Samsung BD-C5500, and AppleTV. I have everything running through HDMI to the receiver and 1 HDMI running to the Toshiba TV.

Has anyone seen any similar issues and know of any possible fixes to this problem. I am at my wits end and I'm about ready to chuck the whole thing and get him another receiver. Thank you for your help in advance.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 888 7 1 Channel 5 1 2 Channel Independent Zone Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi I O And Ser

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page