the "official Denon AVR-2308ci / AVR-888 owners thread - Page 24 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #691 of 830 Old 03-08-2011, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, everyone. I am having a problem with the volume control for zone 2 on my avr-888. I have two speakers hooked up to the surround back/amp assign outs for my zone 2 setup. Sometimes I am able to change the volume for zone 2 and sometimes not, even for the same inputs (CD, aux, phono, etc.). When it's working I push the "zone 2 / rec select" button to the left of the screen, then adjust the volume knob. When it's not working the volume knob only adjusts the main zone volume even after pushing the zone2/rec button. Note that I still get volume out in zone 2, I just can't control it. I cant figure out any settings that are accidentally getting changed or any menu options to allow turn on/off this function.
Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 830 Old 03-08-2011, 03:58 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
^^
Have you tried using the remote control with the switch set to Zone 2?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #693 of 830 Old 03-10-2011, 10:26 AM

Thanks, I don't know why I didn't think of that. That fixes the problem. . . .
though I am still perplexed that I can only intermittently control zone2 volume on the receiver itself.
post #694 of 830 Old 03-21-2011, 08:58 PM

Greetings. I have an interesting problem with my HDMI input #1. Last week, my Cox Cable/Scientific Atlanta DVR crashed, and the regular cable was toast as well. The next day a cable technician swapped out the sci/atl box, and everything was good...for a day. A day later the DVR goes "tits up" and I can barely watch oh sweet tv. I hold out for a new DVR (not a Cox refurb) but relent for a loner refurb. A technician spends 2 hours at my home and goes through 3 DVRs (I couldn't be there in person). It turns out that the problem wasn't in the DVRs, but is centralized in the 888's HDMI input #1, where each DVR that was fried went into. The loaner DVR is plugged into the HDMI #2 and works error free. I've swapped out the HDMI cables plugged into input #2 and they both work fine.

Any ideas regarding how to check HDMI #1 without gernading the source device ?
post #695 of 830 Old 03-22-2011, 03:07 AM
585-645-1006

Other than resetting the AVR's microprocessor, your only other option would be to ship it off to a repair facility.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #696 of 830 Old 04-10-2011, 12:28 PM

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help,

I have a Denon AVR-2308ci Receiver that I am getting a static (white noise) issue with through all sources. The last time I had it working I played with the audio setup some to get an optical cable working for sound from the TV. I played with the menus for over an hour and finally reset the microprocessor without success. Below is my setup and what I have found playing with the system.

System Seup:
* The setup in my den is two front speakers, a center channel and a subwoofer.
* The subwoofer is connected using the LFE connection and the center channel and front speakers are direct from the receiver (Subwoofer is a Polk Audio, speakers are Pioneer - its all the leftovers from my Family, Game and master bed room systems).
* BluRay Player is a PS3, from there its going to a Samsung 46" LCD, all using HDMI.

Issue:
* All worked fine last I used it until I tried to switch back from rigging an optical setup to watch the world series while working (wanted it in surround so used my TV's audio out).
* I tried all settings with just the static, then unplugged the optical and reset the microprocessor. I then tried the automatic setup with the Denon mic and it played static through all three speakers and the mic did not recognize any speaker being setup.
* The video plays fine through the TV while this static is happening.
* In HDMI setup if I switch to "TV" instead of "Amp" the audio plays fine though the TV.

Any/All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Todd
post #697 of 830 Old 04-27-2011, 02:20 PM

I've had my AVR-888 for three or four years and it remains a mystery to me. I've had it set up to do two things only: 1) play DVDs on my PS3 connected with an HDMI cable out of PS3 to AVR-888 and 2) play analog audio from a netbook via mini stereo out to a cable splitter to L and R inputs connected AUX. I have it set to 5 speakers (no sub) for the audio out and video out is HDMI to the Sony TV.

I did some screwing with the remote for something and can't get back my analog input working again.

I regret purchasing this receiver. It is too complicated for my needs.

It doesn't appear that Denon has any phone support that could guide me out of confusion and answer some simple questions, like why do I have to open the door on the back of the remote to select my Aux input? I know I must be doing something very wrong and it must be designed better than I think it is.

Would anyone in this Denon forum that has knowledge of the 888 be willing to walk me through this on the phone or on skype to educate me about this stuff?

Thanks.
Regfman
post #698 of 830 Old 04-27-2011, 04:14 PM
585-645-1006

^^
You likely just pressed the INPUT AUDIO button on the back of the remote so it changed to "HDMI". Select the netbook source (V. Aux) and then press the INPUT AUDIO button again until either "AUTO" or "Analog" is displayed on the front panel display.

post #699 of 830 Old 04-30-2011, 11:51 AM

I have bigger problems than that. I can't change the volume from the remote while watching a DVD, can't turn off Night mode, and can't get onscreen menu to display to the TV when I press the "A. Menu Setup" button like it used to. I have no idea what I did but I think it started when I was pushing some buttons on the front panel of the unit. I know that sounds pitiful, but reading the manual doesn't seem to help to get an overall understanding of the logic of the architecture. Ughh.

and hitting Input Audio button on the remote doesn't change anything on the front panel display.
post #700 of 830 Old 04-30-2011, 11:59 AM
585-645-1006

Try resetting the microprocessor (p. 49) and start over from scratch setting it up. You'll need to run AUTO SETUP again as well.

post #701 of 830 Old 05-04-2011, 10:55 AM

It took me a few different tries to figure out that the instructions for processor reset in the manual aren't very good. They say "Press while simultaneously pressing and ." There is no Power button but there is an "ON/Standby" and an "ON/OFF". Finally I got that figured out and was able to reset the processor using the ON/OFF, not the On/standby.

Now I have this problem: With the unit in Standby (red light on around that button) I can start the receiver with the "On/Source" button on the remote. But I can't control volume from the remote until I move the slider switch on the remote from Audio to Video. And I can't start or turn of the receiver from the switch without having it set back to Audio.

This is different behavior than how this unit used to work. I have no idea
what the Source Control slider switches are supposed to do. I don't understand the theory of operation.
post #702 of 830 Old 05-04-2011, 03:29 PM
585-645-1006

Have you tried changing the batteries in the remote?

post #703 of 830 Old 05-04-2011, 03:49 PM

okay. I just tried new batteries. Same symptoms.

What is the function of the two slide switches at the lower end of the remote? Why should the red on and off buttons at the top work differently when the slide switch is in Audio or Video? When slide to Audio the up/down volume buttons work, but not on/off, but when switched to Video it is the opposite.
post #704 of 830 Old 05-04-2011, 03:58 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Please review p. 50 of your owner's manual for better understanding of the audio/video switch on the remote. The "audio" setting is for audio only source devices (eg. CD) and the "video" setting is for those source devices that provide video as well as audio.

post #705 of 830 Old 05-05-2011, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
double post

post #706 of 830 Old 05-05-2011, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member

I'm the amateur. I am supposed to pick up a used Denon AVR-2308CI on Saturday and after reading a few pages of this thread I am having second thoughts.

Is this the wrong AVR for someone without a clue? Is there a 2308ci for Dummies handbook?

Thanks

post #707 of 830 Old 05-05-2011, 02:42 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Depending on what features and inputs you need, you would likely be much better served picking up one of the newer XX12 models just being released now ... either the 1612 or 1712 or 1912 all of which will include a much easier to understand GUI/menu system as well as being comparable or better than the 2308.

post #708 of 830 Old 05-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Depending on what features and inputs you need, you would likely be much better served picking up one of the newer XX12 models just being released now ... either the 1612 or 1712 or 1912 all of which will include a much easier to understand GUI/menu system as well as being comparable or better than the 2308.

Thanks for the advice. I guess a good deal is only a good deal if you don't have to bang your head against a wall if frustration to use it.

How do you feel about the Denon 1911? Has there been a significant upgrade to the GUI/menu system from the 1911 to the 1912? I have been seriously been considering this for my first system (along with a decent sub) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ALAQLAKJ574UN

post #709 of 830 Old 05-06-2011, 03:35 AM
585-645-1006

Both the 2308 and 1911 offer the same archaic block text OSD/menu system while all the new XX12 models will offer a color, easier to understand GUI menu system. The 2308 also won't offer Audyssey Dyn EQ or Dyn Vol (think taming loud commercials). I would suggest taking a look at Denon's website and reviewing the 1612, 1712 and 1912 to see which model offers the features you require as either of them will be more user friendly. That Jamo/1911 setup is sold by authorized reseller 6Ave ... check with them and see if they will be offering a similar setup with one of the new XX12 models as well, otherwise you can just buy the Jamo setup on it's own.

post #710 of 830 Old 05-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you for all the information JDSmothie.

post #711 of 830 Old 05-14-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddnMiss View Post
Hello, I'm hoping someone can help,

I have a Denon AVR-2308ci Receiver that I am getting a static (white noise) issue with through all sources. The last time I had it working I played with the audio setup some to get an optical cable working for sound from the TV. I played with the menus for over an hour and finally reset the microprocessor without success. Below is my setup and what I have found playing with the system.

System Seup:
* The setup in my den is two front speakers, a center channel and a subwoofer.
* The subwoofer is connected using the LFE connection and the center channel and front speakers are direct from the receiver (Subwoofer is a Polk Audio, speakers are Pioneer - its all the leftovers from my Family, Game and master bed room systems).
* BluRay Player is a PS3, from there its going to a Samsung 46" LCD, all using HDMI.

Issue:
* All worked fine last I used it until I tried to switch back from rigging an optical setup to watch the world series while working (wanted it in surround so used my TV's audio out).
* I tried all settings with just the static, then unplugged the optical and reset the microprocessor. I then tried the automatic setup with the Denon mic and it played static through all three speakers and the mic did not recognize any speaker being setup.
* The video plays fine through the TV while this static is happening.
* In HDMI setup if I switch to "TV" instead of "Amp" the audio plays fine though the TV.

Any/All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Todd

I've still had no luck with this and the nearest Denon repair center is over 2 hours away. I really used to be a proud Denon owner, but I cannot see myself buying another of their receivers. In short, this one has failed twice in about 2 years of usage (depending on when it failed for the original owner - I bought it a a Refurb from Dakmart). I think a $1k (original price) receiver shouldn't fail twice in less than 3 years. Sigh, I guess its on to HK or Onkyo
post #712 of 830 Old 05-14-2011, 05:56 AM
585-645-1006

^^
As you have reset the microprocessor with no improvement, your next steps would be to check your cabling ... perhaps disconnecting the entire setup and reconnecting might help. Do you have another set of speakers you can use to confirm the issue is the AVR or perhaps connect it to a neighbor's speakers?

Your 2308 is now 4 years old actually and should you have to replace it you would benefit from the better version of Audyssey MultEQ XT, networking, and Audyssey Dyn EQ and Dyn Vol on the newer Denon models. The 2112CI should be available next month for < $500 which would be more cost effective then a likely $200-$300 repair bill if out of warranty.

post #713 of 830 Old 05-19-2011, 09:10 AM

Original (Working Great!) SetUp:
Denon AVR-2308ci
Samsung DLP HLT5676SX/XAA
Comcast Scientific Atlanta HD-DVR
XBox 360
Harmony 630 Remote

New Add-On:
Apple TV

Since the 2 HDMI inputs are taken with the Comcast DVR and XBox, I was vexed when hooking up the Apple TV. I decided to plug the HDMI from the Apple TV into the HDMI 2 on the Samsung DLP (HDMI 1 has the output from the Denon). Then I used the Optical Audio out from the Apple TV to head to the Denon.

I do not know which Optical port to use so I randomly plugged it into #3 (I think). Since the Denon only shows "inputs" that are active, the AUX now shows up. The only thing is, I cannot get the audio from the Apple TV. I have the Harmony Remote setup to get to the Apple TV video output on the Samsung and AUX on the Denon, but I hear nothing. I went into the A.Menu and assigned AUX to "OPT 3" (even tried the others in case).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks a ton in advance
post #714 of 830 Old 05-19-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 963
there is no "OPT-3" on the back of the unit. OPT-3 refers to the optical input on the FRONT of the unit.

On the back there are two inputs and one output... so if you think you plugged into "number 3" then you probably accidentally plugged into the output!

so first step is to figure out which optical input you actually are plugged into!!

once you know that (OPT-1 or OPT-2), do the following:

1) decide which "name" you want to use for the ATV. AUX is fine if you want but note that (1) the AUX input is audio-only, no video assignment is allowed and (2) there is both an AUX input (audio only) and a V-AUX input (the front panel inputs) so don't confuse them. So if you can, use one of the other names (DVR, VCR, DVD, TV/CBL) that isn't being used by the HD-DVR or 360.

2) once you know what "name" you are using, make sure it is not deleted in "Source Delete" (Manual Setup > Option Setup).

3) now you have the name and the optical input ready... go to INPUT SETUP, make sure you have selected the correct input at the top, and then go to "Assign" and make sure the correct optical input is assigned to the name.

4) go down to "RENAME" and rename the input to "APPLE TV" or whatever you want.

That should do it!

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #715 of 830 Old 05-19-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

there is no "OPT-3" on the back of the unit. OPT-3 refers to the optical input on the FRONT of the unit.

On the back there are two inputs and one output... so if you think you plugged into "number 3" then you probably accidentally plugged into the output!

so first step is to figure out which optical input you actually are plugged into!!

once you know that (OPT-1 or OPT-2), do the following:

1) decide which "name" you want to use for the ATV. AUX is fine if you want but note that (1) the AUX input is audio-only, no video assignment is allowed and (2) there is both an AUX input (audio only) and a V-AUX input (the front panel inputs) so don't confuse them. So if you can, use one of the other names (DVR, VCR, DVD, TV/CBL) that isn't being used by the HD-DVR or 360.

2) once you know what "name" you are using, make sure it is not deleted in "Source Delete" (Manual Setup > Option Setup).

3) now you have the name and the optical input ready... go to INPUT SETUP, make sure you have selected the correct input at the top, and then go to "Assign" and make sure the correct optical input is assigned to the name.

4) go down to "RENAME" and rename the input to "APPLE TV" or whatever you want.

That should do it!

Totally perfect! I used the CD and "undeleted" it as a source.

Thank you so much!
post #716 of 830 Old 06-07-2011, 07:35 PM
msn

I installed a new Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Blu-Ray player last Tuesday via HDMI to my Denon AVR888 and onward also via HDMI to my Sony KDS-55A2000. I connected to the internet wirelessly, updated the firmware, played a disk, all with no problems, picture or sound.

When I stream from the internet side of the box I get no sound at all except from VUDU.

I spent about an hour with Panasonic tech support trying multiple setting variations (bitstream vs. PCM, etc.) Nothing worked.

If I bypass the AVR888 and connect the Panasonic directly to the TV everthing works, leading me to believe it's the Denon that losing its mind.

At Panasonic's recommendation I exchanged the player for a new one. Tried again with no success. Changed the HDMI cables. Tried analog cables. Still no audio except for VUDU. (No Netflix, Pandora, youtube, etc.)

My understand is that the HDMI handshake determines the final connectivity.

Can anyone please explain, in plain english, what the correct settings should be?

Thanks.
post #717 of 830 Old 06-07-2011, 07:51 PM
585-645-1006

Just as with the VUDU, the other audio inputs should be received as well without issue. What does the 888 front panel display read when the other inputs are connected? Try resetting the microprocessor as listed in your Owner's manual. Also try turning on the TV first, then 888, then BDP to ensure a proper handshake along the HDMI path. First try to get it to work in the PCM setting so the BDP decodes the audio and passes it on to the 888.

post #718 of 830 Old 06-24-2011, 04:21 PM

I cannot get apple tv to play through zone 2 speakers. Other sources play fine. I have it hooked up with hdmi. Any ideas why?
post #719 of 830 Old 06-24-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 963
post #720 of 830 Old 06-24-2011, 05:57 PM

Can you elaborate.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 888 7 1 Channel 5 1 2 Channel Independent Zone Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi I O And Ser

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page