the "official Denon AVR-2308ci / AVR-888 owners thread - Page 29 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #841 of 857 Old 02-12-2016, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
No, you should be fine. These older non-network models could only update firmware via serial interface and generally would only have an update if there was a major bug that needed fixing.
Ok, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 857 Old 05-06-2016, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,

I have a problem with my AVR-888 device.
Yesterday I tried (for the first time) to connect an analog source, in particular a CD player and a Turntable (with a MM cartridge).
Obviously I interfaced them as per manual (phone and CD analog inputs).
But, in brief: no sound from the speakers

After, I tried to connect an headphone and it was fine.
On the unit display was correctly reported H/P ON and OFF when the H/P was connected and disconnected (so I don't think that it's a contact, dust, problem).

I don't have any problem with the HDMI signals.

Is there some analog menu setting that I miss? Any idea?

I opened a ticket on Denon website and I'm waiting for their response.

Thank you in advance for the help.
post #843 of 857 Old 05-07-2016, 07:33 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10291 Post(s)
Liked: 4765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kova78 View Post
Hi all,

I have a problem with my AVR-888 device.
Yesterday I tried (for the first time) to connect an analog source, in particular a CD player and a Turntable (with a MM cartridge).
Obviously I interfaced them as per manual (phone and CD analog inputs).
But, in brief: no sound from the speakers

After, I tried to connect an headphone and it was fine.
On the unit display was correctly reported H/P ON and OFF when the H/P was connected and disconnected (so I don't think that it's a contact, dust, problem).

I don't have any problem with the HDMI signals.

Is there some analog menu setting that I miss? Any idea?

I opened a ticket on Denon website and I'm waiting for their response.

Thank you in advance for the help.
Ensure the "INPUT MODE" setting = "Analog" and then simply raise the master volume higher.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Authorized dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, SVS, Oppo

Ask me how to get a FREE HEOS 1 HS2 wireless/Bluetooth speaker.
post #844 of 857 Old 07-11-2016, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HD Audio / Settings / Calibration

Greetings

I've been reading this thread since 2009 when I first purchased my AVR-888. The thing is still running strong and I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon. However, since moving to my new home and rebuilding my setup, for some reason I can't get quality sound out of the DTS NEO:6 or Dolby PLII cinema settings. The sound is pretty good on matrix but I know it can sound better.

The problem is mainly with my center channel -- a Definitive CLR 2002. When set to DTS or Dolby PLII, my center channel audio sounds extremely flat and the sound from my bi-polar towers (also DT speakers) is barely audible.

I used to use the Audyssey system to calibrate my speakers but I've since lost the mic. Does this sound like a simple calibration issue that I can tackle inside of the AVR settings, or is this something else?
post #845 of 857 Old 07-11-2016, 12:49 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixon08 View Post
Greetings

I've been reading this thread since 2009 when I first purchased my AVR-888. The thing is still running strong and I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon. However, since moving to my new home and rebuilding my setup, for some reason I can't get quality sound out of the DTS NEO:6 or Dolby PLII cinema settings. The sound is pretty good on matrix but I know it can sound better.

The problem is mainly with my center channel -- a Definitive CLR 2002. When set to DTS or Dolby PLII, my center channel audio sounds extremely flat and the sound from my bi-polar towers (also DT speakers) is barely audible.

I used to use the Audyssey system to calibrate my speakers but I've since lost the mic. Does this sound like a simple calibration issue that I can tackle inside of the AVR settings, or is this something else?
Just buy a replacement DM-A405 mic and get back to the better audio quality you were used to.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DENON-MICROP...4AAOSw2GlXEmIL

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Authorized dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, SVS, Oppo

post #846 of 857 Old 07-11-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Just buy a replacement DM-A405 mic and get back to the better audio quality you were used to.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DENON-MICROP...4AAOSw2GlXEmIL
I'll do that. Still, it bothers me that I can't seem to adjust the EQ manually. I mean, I can, but it makes no difference in the sound. I can jack all of the Hz up and down and it makes no difference. What gives?
post #847 of 857 Old 07-11-2016, 01:11 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
I'll do that. Still, it bothers me that I can't seem to adjust the EQ manually. I mean, I can, but it makes no difference in the sound. I can jack all of the Hz up and down and it makes no difference. What gives?
You'll never be able to manually do what Audyssey is capable of doing.

------------

post #848 of 857 Old 07-24-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
You'll never be able to manually do what Audyssey is capable of doing.
Ok so the mic came, and I ran through the audyssey as I have in the past but for some reason when I set the amp to multi ch in or multi ch direct (this is what I want, no?), my center channel still sounds way off -- it's completely flat, no tone at all. But when I switch it over to matrix it sounds crisp and clear.

On the other hand, when on multi ch in or direct, the surround is much better.

How can I adjust my center channel, or have audyssey do that? Why isn't it automatically?
post #849 of 857 Old 07-25-2016, 05:18 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Ok so the mic came, and I ran through the audyssey as I have in the past but for some reason when I set the amp to multi ch in or multi ch direct (this is what I want, no?), my center channel still sounds way off -- it's completely flat, no tone at all. But when I switch it over to matrix it sounds crisp and clear.

On the other hand, when on multi ch in or direct, the surround is much better.

How can I adjust my center channel, or have audyssey do that? Why isn't it automatically?
MULTI CH IN means the source device is decoding the DD/DTS audio to PCM. If you haven't already try resetting the microprocessor (p. 49 Owner's manual) which will restore all settings to factory default and wipe out the current Audyssey settings as well. Run Audyssey again.

------------

post #850 of 857 Old 07-25-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
MULTI CH IN means the source device is decoding the DD/DTS audio to PCM. If you haven't already try resetting the microprocessor (p. 49 Owner's manual) which will restore all settings to factory default and wipe out the current Audyssey settings as well. Run Audyssey again.
I appreciate the help. I reset to factory and ran Audyssey again. Still the same. Here's my setup, if it helps:

5.1 with Front L/R Definitive bi-polars, center ch is a Definitive C/L/R, L/R surrounds are just a pair of small Bose speakers, and the SW is a Sony, not that it matters here.

My BD is a PS3 set to output Linear PCM with all of the right 5.1 ch options selected in the audio output menu. This, I guess, is why I'm getting "multi-ch in" rather than "Dolby DTS-HD" on the Denon display.

I'm playing a bluray (Frozen -- it's what happens to be in there) which I believe is DTS-HD. When set to Matrix, the center channel is crisp and clear, but surround is not stellar. When set to multi-ch in, the surround is stellar but the center channel tone is way off.

So I go into the Denon menu >> manual EQ and notice that the Audyssey Flat settings are a bit odd. The DB +/- seem good for all speakers but the center, where 1kHz - 16kHz is at 0.0. And when I adjust those which are 0.0, even all the way to +6.0, there is no audible difference.

So, the few facts that I do have are...

-Nothing wrong with speaker or speaker wiring (I don't think) since it sounds good on Matrix
-Nothing wrong with Audyssey since it does seem to be working
-Nothing wrong with PS3 settings

Any ideas?
post #851 of 857 Old 07-25-2016, 11:57 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
I appreciate the help. I reset to factory and ran Audyssey again. Still the same. Here's my setup, if it helps:

5.1 with Front L/R Definitive bi-polars, center ch is a Definitive C/L/R, L/R surrounds are just a pair of small Bose speakers, and the SW is a Sony, not that it matters here.

My BD is a PS3 set to output Linear PCM with all of the right 5.1 ch options selected in the audio output menu. This, I guess, is why I'm getting "multi-ch in" rather than "Dolby DTS-HD" on the Denon display.

I'm playing a bluray (Frozen -- it's what happens to be in there) which I believe is DTS-HD. When set to Matrix, the center channel is crisp and clear, but surround is not stellar. When set to multi-ch in, the surround is stellar but the center channel tone is way off.

So I go into the Denon menu >> manual EQ and notice that the Audyssey Flat settings are a bit odd. The DB +/- seem good for all speakers but the center, where 1kHz - 16kHz is at 0.0. And when I adjust those which are 0.0, even all the way to +6.0, there is no audible difference.

So, the few facts that I do have are...

-Nothing wrong with speaker or speaker wiring (I don't think) since it sounds good on Matrix
-Nothing wrong with Audyssey since it does seem to be working
-Nothing wrong with PS3 settings

Any ideas?
Try setting the PS3 to "bitstream" instead.

------------

post #852 of 857 Old 07-25-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Try setting the PS3 to "bitstream" instead.
When I do that, I get no audio. Also, I thought that the PS3 (not an original model, I think I have a slim, but it's about 7 years old) would not output bitstream to the 888?
post #853 of 857 Old 07-25-2016, 12:26 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
When I do that, I get no audio. Also, I thought that the PS3 (not an original model, I think I have a slim, but it's about 7 years old) would not output bitstream to the 888?
Although the PS3 slim can output both bitstream HD DD/DTS audio, the 888 cannot decode it; however, it can decode standard DD/DTS.

------------

post #854 of 857 Old 07-25-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Although the PS3 slim can output both bitstream HD DD/DTS audio, the 888 cannot decode it; however, it can decode standard DD/DTS.
But it isn't standard DD/DTS audio I want. It's HD DD/DTS audio. Forgive me for asking, but why would I set my PS3 in such away that would prevent the 888 from outputting HD audio?

Besides, I tried it and get no audio from the blu-ray unless it is set to PCM.

I really feel like this is a tone issue, specifically on the center channel. Why, when I adjust my center channel settings via the manual EQ, does it make no difference in the sound output?

Perhaps more puzzling is why channel tones vary from Matrix to Multi. Why does the center tone sound great on Matrix but not on Multi?
post #855 of 857 Old 07-25-2016, 03:15 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
But it isn't standard DD/DTS audio I want. It's HD DD/DTS audio. Forgive me for asking, but why would I set my PS3 in such away that would prevent the 888 from outputting HD audio?

Besides, I tried it and get no audio from the blu-ray unless it is set to PCM.

I really feel like this is a tone issue, specifically on the center channel. Why, when I adjust my center channel settings via the manual EQ, does it make no difference in the sound output?

Perhaps more puzzling is why channel tones vary from Matrix to Multi. Why does the center tone sound great on Matrix but not on Multi?
You obviously wouldn't, rather simply trying to suggest you test bitstreaming standard DD/DTS to see if the same issue presents.

------------

post #856 of 857 Old 07-25-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
You obviously wouldn't, rather simply trying to suggest you test bitstreaming standard DD/DTS to see if the same issue presents.
Ah, ok, I'll try that out and report back. And if it does (or doesn't)?
post #857 of 857 Old 07-25-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Ah, ok, I'll try that out and report back. And if it does (or doesn't)?
Ok so I'm a dummy. After all of this, my center speaker was only half-wired. I'd forgotten but it has 4 terminals. Whoops. Thanks though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 888 7 1 Channel 5 1 2 Channel Independent Zone Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi I O And Ser

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page