Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 830 Old 01-27-2008, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have my system setup this way.....

Comcast cable DVR to Denon 2308 to Pioneer PDP5070 all via HDMI 1.3

When I first start up the system to wathc TV using a Harmony remote it takes the 2308 about 45 seconds to get the signal to the tv correctly. It will bounce around during that time from a black screen to the show and back to a black screen and then the show. It might do this four or five times before it settles in.

After that all works fine.

Any thoughts on settings that might correct this?

Thanks

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 830 Old 01-27-2008, 03:56 PM

To all the owners...

Why did you choose the 2308/888 over Onkyo 605?
post #63 of 830 Old 01-27-2008, 04:53 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by amynob View Post

To all the owners...

I didn't look at the Onkyo. I've had (still have) a Denon AVR 2500, an AVR 3300, and now the 2308CI. I've had great experiences with Denon and didn't see a reason to change. I did consider the Marantz, I think the 7002 but I'm not sure.

Mark
post #64 of 830 Old 01-27-2008, 11:50 PM

Ok, first post. I hope you guys can help me out here. I'm pulling my hair out trying to make my 2308 work.

The 2308 has HD cable coming in via HDMI and out via HDMI to the 52" Sony XBR4. Picture is beautiful, sound is amazing pumped into the giant Definitive speakers. No complaints, very happy.

Here's my problem. I can't seem to get anything else to work. In particularly, my XM inno in a home dock (via RCA) or PS2 (via RCA, I know I need to upgrade). I can't get audio from either one. Video is getting through on the PS2, but no sound.

Here's the setup:
The xm is plugged into the CD input (tried AUX, V.Aux, even Phono...no sound). Input mode is "analog". Even tried "EXT IN" (even though I'm still not sure what that is) it still didn't work. Under the Input set up "Assign" menu, Digital In:None, Ipod Dock:None. Same with the PS2, no sound.

I have verified these components work by plugging them into the TV. Am I missing something? My wife would appreciate any advice cause I'm about to turn green and throw this thing into the street

Thanx
post #65 of 830 Old 01-28-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:

To all the owners...

I looked at the Onkyo 705 vs. the Denon and chose the Denon because:

1. Puts out less heat. Read a lot about the Onkyo's heat problems.
2. Onkyo lip synch and popping problems. Had no direct experience with this but again read a lot about it.
3, Build quality. My personal opinion was that I would get better build quality with Denon.

Having said all that, I did recommend that my parents purchase the 605 when they asked which receiver they should get. For their needs it was the best price/performance ratio.
post #66 of 830 Old 01-29-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick152 View Post

Ok, first post. I hope you guys can help me out here. I'm pulling my hair out trying to make my 2308 work.

The 2308 has HD cable coming in via HDMI and out via HDMI to the 52" Sony XBR4. Picture is beautiful, sound is amazing pumped into the giant Definitive speakers. No complaints, very happy.

Here's my problem. I can't seem to get anything else to work. In particularly, my XM inno in a home dock (via RCA) or PS2 (via RCA, I know I need to upgrade). I can't get audio from either one. Video is getting through on the PS2, but no sound.

Here's the setup:
The xm is plugged into the CD input (tried AUX, V.Aux, even Phono...no sound). Input mode is "analog". Even tried "EXT IN" (even though I'm still not sure what that is) it still didn't work. Under the Input set up "Assign" menu, Digital In:None, Ipod Dock:None. Same with the PS2, no sound.

I have verified these components work by plugging them into the TV. Am I missing something? My wife would appreciate any advice cause I'm about to turn green and throw this thing into the street

Thanx

Well I bit the bullet and took the receiver to BB where the Magnolia guys were very helpful and quite confused by my problem. We plugged it up in the sound room right next to the working display model. It was somewhat of a bittersweet revelation... I was hoping that the receiver I chose based on it's reputation of being well-engineered wasn't proving to be a bad decision... but then I didn't want to look like an amateur by not being able to add a simple component.

The AVR-2308ci was defective. I felt better about my abilities and still had enough faith in Denon to exchange for the same unit. Problem solved. If this one goes TU, I'll change brands. Anyone here have any problems with there Denon?
post #67 of 830 Old 01-30-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:

Well I bit the bullet and took the receiver to BB where the Magnolia guys were very helpful and quite confused by my problem. We plugged it up in the sound room right next to the working display model. It was somewhat of a bittersweet revelation... I was hoping that the receiver I chose based on it's reputation of being well-engineered wasn't proving to be a bad decision... but then I didn't want to look like an amateur by not being able to add a simple component.

The AVR-2308ci was defective. I felt better about my abilities and still had enough faith in Denon to exchange for the same unit. Problem solved. If this one goes TU, I'll change brands. Anyone here have any problems with there Denon?

Glad it worked out for you in the end. I've had my Denon for about two months now and haven't had any problems. So far I'm happy with the quality.
post #68 of 830 Old 01-30-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:

To all the owners...

Yeh I was reading about the heat/popping issues with the Onkyos and since I live in a tropical climate I cant take the risk, since we have no Onkyo dealers here and shipping back and forth if there is a problem can be a killer for us here.

I bought my Denon from a dealer on the island here, seems to have the least issues out of the lot, I had also considered Harman Kardon.
post #69 of 830 Old 02-02-2008, 03:41 AM

Quote:

Thanx

Same deal for me. Just trying to get the Surround speakers tested out
and just trying analog in for TV/VCR and other inputs. No Sound.
I will have to go the best buy like you and have them validate that a new one
it workson site.
post #70 of 830 Old 02-03-2008, 12:35 AM

I just picked up this unit, and everything seems work work well except for an annoying click/pop sound that happens every couple minutes when watching satellite (via optical) as well as listening to music via my ps3 (hdmi). Anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? Denon's site didn't have much in the way of kb articles on this issue. I have power cycled the entire system, and am running everything through a Panamax line conditioner.

Thanks in advance.
post #71 of 830 Old 02-03-2008, 09:11 AM

Debating whether or not to get the 888 or 1908 (788). Does the upconversion really help if I have a dvd player that already upconverts?
post #72 of 830 Old 02-03-2008, 10:59 AM

I realize that this is probably not the right place to ask this question but this my first time on any forum and my first time buying a receiver and I'm just looking for some guidance. If there is better place to post this then please let me know.

I am looking at the Yamaha RX-V1800, the Denon AVR-2808CI and the Marantz SR-5002. I could also consider something from Pioneer or something lower down on the Denon or Yamaha lines.

I don't want to spend more than $1300 on a receiver (preferably less) and I want to be able to run everything i have into the receiver and then one HDMI cable out to the TV (Toshiba 50HP66 720p). Right now I'm actually running S-video from my Direct TV box so I need to make sure that that can be sent back out through the HDMI. This will be my second purchase (after the TV) on the long road to the home theater I want. I have cheapo speakers and dvd/surround sound right now but will be replacing it all eventually and I want to make sure that the receiver will support everything I want it to do in the future.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
post #73 of 830 Old 02-04-2008, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

so what would people consider halfway point on the volume? the - to + thing is confusing coming from old school 1990 gear..lol
post #74 of 830 Old 02-04-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJ51 View Post

Debating whether or not to get the 888 or 1908 (788). Does the upconversion really help if I have a dvd player that already upconverts?

The 1908/788 will not upscale analog to HDMI. So if you have some component/s video inputs that you want to output over HDMI (i.e. single cable to the TV) then the cheapest you're going to need is a 2308/888.
post #75 of 830 Old 02-04-2008, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by hori07 View Post

so what would people consider halfway point on the volume? the - to + thing is confusing coming from old school 1990 gear..lol

If you want it "old school," just subtract the full throttle number: i.e. my AVR3300 maxes at +14dB, so just subtract 14dB and you get volume readings referenced to full gain (or minimum attenuation.)

It ain't rocket science.
post #76 of 830 Old 02-07-2008, 10:05 PM

We have a Canon HV20 Hi Def camcorder on order, due for delivery on 2/12. Our Sony 555ES A/V unit has no HDMI ports, nor does the TV - a Sony XBR 42" plasma - only Component input. So, I'm about ready to pop an order for a new Denon 2308ci receiver. We also have a Denon 3910 DVD player, which has been most excellent. My plan is to run the camcorder into the HDMI on the 2308ci and then Component DVI out over to the TV.

Has anyone here connected an HD camcorder (Canon or other) via HDMI to this 2308ci A/V unit? Was it ugly getting it to work? Am I gonna need a 2008 edition of the curse book on this project?

Jim, in the city of Folsom, CA. (NOT the prison!)
post #77 of 830 Old 02-07-2008, 10:21 PM

An AV amp is not the best way to convert HDMI to component. And the 2308CI simply won't do it. Your best bet would be to go to Walmart and get a PS3 component cable ($20 or so), assuming of course that the Canon has a regular HDMI male connector on it.
post #78 of 830 Old 02-07-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cansp6 View Post

An AV amp is not the best way to convert HDMI to component. And the 2308CI simply won't do it. Your best bet would be to go to Walmart and get a PS3 component cable ($20 or so), assuming of course that the Canon has a regular HDMI male connector on it.

So, the 2308ci pdf manual I downloaded shows on page 8 that the unit does NOT convert HDMI digital signals into analog (Component). That's just wonderful. Looks like none of them do it, not just the 2308.

What will that PS3 cable do for me - how will the digital HDMI signal get converted into analog?

post #79 of 830 Old 02-08-2008, 09:20 AM

I think I've had too many late nights & not enough sleep - what was I thinking? The TV has a DVI-D input port - I believe that all I need is an HDMI>DVI adapter on the cable that would run from the 2308ci to the Sony TV.

Am I correct in "assuming" that any device connected to the 2308ci via HDMI will have the audio sent to my speakers and the vidio signal (perhaps with audio) sent along its merry way to the HDMI output port?

post #80 of 830 Old 02-08-2008, 09:43 AM

The HDMI signal will not so much get "converted" to analog as the cable will simply ignore some of the pins and do a very loosy-goosy downsampling on the rest of the pins. It's not actually that difficult or expensive to go from digital to analog. The difficulty comes in play when you want to have a lossless or mostly lossless conversion.

As for the 2308 doing HDMI audio, yes it will process audio over HDMI. However, be prepared to try a few different HDMI-DVI cables before getting an acceptable picture out of your TV. They're not all created the same and HDCP (the copyright protection scheme in HDMI) adds extra wrinkles into the mix.
post #81 of 830 Old 02-08-2008, 11:23 AM

I think Av receivers and other components won't convert HDMI to analog because that would allow someone to bypass copy protection on a signal and make a decent digital copy of an HD source. Of course in the case of something from your own HD Camera there's no copy protection and you own it but unfortunately that doesn't matter.
post #82 of 830 Old 02-08-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyQuattro View Post

Ugh i really hope this is a user error on my part.

I cant seem to get ANY sound out of my Denon AVR-888.

Its hooked up through HDMI for video and audio. Only two sources hooked up is my PS3 and Comcast HD box.

Heres the kicker, if i change the Denon to play audio through the TV, then i get sound from the TV speakers. Once i change it to play through the AMP, then i get no sound at all. I even tried it with optical cable and still no sound at all.

Even when i try to Auto Setup, it says theres no speakers connected.

Someone please tell me my receiver isnt bad (bought is refurbished from Damart) and that its a simple fix....

I'm having this same problem with my "open box" 2308CI - won't recognize speakers or produce any sound. I guess it's going back. Maybe I'll try the Onkyo 705.
post #83 of 830 Old 02-08-2008, 01:45 PM

Got a Noob question... Im debating between this and the Onkyo 705. Will any of these receivers with HDMI upconverting actually upscale the video from you cable box to a better quality picture?
post #84 of 830 Old 02-08-2008, 04:23 PM

Now that the question about HDMI connections has been resolved, back to the main point of my original question - has anyone attached an HD camcorder (Canon or other brand) to the 2308ci?

post #85 of 830 Old 02-12-2008, 03:26 PM

How does upscaling from standard def look on the 888? Is it worth it or should I keep my Onkyo 605?
post #86 of 830 Old 02-15-2008, 02:33 PM

Just ordered the AVR-888 from J&R for $599. I don't have it yet but I am wondering.....does it simultaneously output a video signal from HDMI AND any of the other video outputs (such as component video or S-video)?? Or is it just one or the other? Reason being....I am planning on having a PS3 in my system & having a projector hooked up the HDMI output and then wanted another small little monitor hooked up to another video output. That way, I could make "on-screen" adjustments and change PS3 setups without always having to turn on the projector everytime.

I'm assuming it does all simultaneously but wanted to confirm with those of you that own it or the 2308ci. Thanks much!
post #87 of 830 Old 02-15-2008, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Are there any deals on this receiver floating around out there? Like the awesome deal people are getting on the 3808 and 4308 at 6ave and EE? If so, could a few of you please pm me with where and what price. Thanks

electron
post #88 of 830 Old 02-19-2008, 12:36 PM

Call 6th Ave and tell them you heard about the 3808 deal and ask for the best price on the 2308. That's what I did and got a pretty good deal (picked up Kef 3005s for $1k too).
post #89 of 830 Old 02-20-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx711yam View Post

How does upscaling from standard def look on the 888? Is it worth it or should I keep my Onkyo 605?

DVD comp. in HDMI out at 1080p looks really good.
post #90 of 830 Old 02-22-2008, 06:10 PM

Question, I am looking at the 888 and the Onkyo 705.

My cable output is not HDMI, it is component and I have HD cable. On the Onkyo, if I plug the cable output into the receiver via component and run it to the TV via HDMI, it downscales everything to 720P, including my 1080i input.

Not cool.

Does the 888 allow my 1080i input via component to pass through as 1080i?

Thanks!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 888 7 1 Channel 5 1 2 Channel Independent Zone Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi I O And Ser

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page