the "official Denon AVR-2308ci / AVR-888 owners thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 830 Old 02-22-2008, 08:23 PM
Member
 
W6JHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euqruob View Post

Question, I am looking at the 888 and the Onkyo 705.


Does the 888 allow my 1080i input via component to pass through as 1080i?

Thanks!

I understand that the 888 is pretty much the same as the 2308ci. I plug our Canon HV20 HD camcorder into the 2308ci via component cables, then HDMI/DVI over to our HD TV - it comes through as 1080i just fine.

Jim, in the city of Folsom, CA. (NOT the prison!)
W6JHB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 830 Old 02-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Member
 
Euqruob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cool, I'll check it out, Fry's has it for $599, and Fry's takes everything back if I don't like it.
Euqruob is offline  
post #93 of 830 Old 02-23-2008, 11:36 PM
Member
 
Euqruob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I bought the Denon. Had to buy another HDMI cable, did I listen to the salesman who wanted me to buy the $150 one? Hell no...I bought the $15 one, which works exactly the same...

Took a bit of time to install, and had to get some new speaker wire for a balky speaker. Have the cable installed via component, DVD burner/player via HDMI, and sat dish via component.

Did a audessy setup, need to do it again, as I think I didn't complete it right (didn't see the secret remote compartment). I am listening to a fantastic DVD audio which is in DTS 96/24 and is amazing (Frank Zappa Halloween, also FZ's Quaudiophrenia).

Only problem is that in looking at the remote codes, there is nothing for Vizio (TV), or RCA (DVD), Motorola (Cable), or Pansat (sat dish) 0 for 4.

Are there more codes out there?

Thanks!
Euqruob is offline  
post #94 of 830 Old 02-24-2008, 07:34 AM
Member
 
YMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euqruob View Post

Only problem is that in looking at the remote codes, there is nothing for Vizio (TV), or RCA (DVD), Motorola (Cable), or Pansat (sat dish) 0 for 4.

Are there more codes out there?

Thanks!

If I was you, I'd buy a universal remote such as the Harmony 880 or the Harmony One. Then put the next to worthless Denon remote in a drawer.

Mark
YMark is offline  
post #95 of 830 Old 02-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Member
 
Euqruob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, I figure that someday I will buy one, they are expensive as heck though!
Euqruob is offline  
post #96 of 830 Old 02-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Newbie
 
djmcnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I own a new 2308 and have a few questions, somebody might be able to help.

My setup is (basically): Sat -> (Component/Optical) -> 2380 -> (HDMI) -> Monitor

When using the Tuner, v.select (video source) does not work for the Satellite input (no picture, Tuner OSD remains). I suspect this is because 'Sat' is being upscaled to 720p and the Tuner is using OSD. So, can I turn off the Tuner OSD so that I can use v.select when listening to the radio? v.select works however for any source that does NOT have OSD from the 2308.

I can't get the Tuner OSD to work for Zone 2. Should I be able to?

HDMI won't sync with Sony Bravia monitor unless receiver is on and initialised _before_ the monitor. Any work arounds?

Thanks in anticipation.
djmcnz is offline  
post #97 of 830 Old 02-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Member
 
W6JHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmcnz View Post

Hi all,

I own a new 2308 and have a few questions, somebody might be able to help.

My setup is (basically): Sat -> (Component/Optical) -> 2380 -> (HDMI) -> Monitor

When using the Tuner, v.select (video source) does not work for the Satellite input (no picture, Tuner OSD remains). I suspect this is because 'Sat' is being upscaled to 720p and the Tuner is using OSD. So, can I turn off the Tuner OSD so that I can use v.select when listening to the radio? v.select works however for any source that does NOT have OSD from the 2308.

I can't get the Tuner OSD to work for Zone 2. Should I be able to?

HDMI won't sync with Sony Bravia monitor unless receiver is on and initialised _before_ the monitor. Any work arounds?

Thanks in anticipation.

DJMCNZ: I'm basically a newbie with the 2308 myself, but I did manage to get it working. When you say SAT - do you mean DirecTV SATellite? I kinda thought that the SAT input on the 2308 was for XM satellite service. I have an HD DirecTV Satellite receiver that plays very nicely with the 2308. When I first got the 2308 I didn't have HDMI cables, so I ran component cable to the 2308 and then HDMI back to the Sony HD Plasma TV. But I didn't hook up the component cables into the SAT jack on the 2308 - I plugged 'em into the "TV/CBL" input. And, I ran an optical cable for the audio into the TV/CBL optical input

That being said, if you DID mean the XM SAT service, then never mind the above, 'cause my drivel doesn't apply! :-)

Jim, in the city of Folsom, CA. (NOT the prison!)
W6JHB is offline  
post #98 of 830 Old 02-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Newbie
 
djmcnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by W6JHB View Post

That being said, if you DID mean the XM SAT service, then never mind the above, 'cause my drivel doesn't apply! :-)

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, I meant "Satellite Dish Input", as in just a standard AV input (Dish -> Set Top Box -> 2308 -> Monitor) as opposed to DirecTV or XM.

Basically, any AV input (including XBOX 360) demonstrates this behaviour on my setup.
djmcnz is offline  
post #99 of 830 Old 02-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Member
 
jtivat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euqruob View Post

Yeah, I figure that someday I will buy one, they are expensive as heck though!

Just picked up a Harmony 659 for $45 shipped at Amazon (refurbish) but full warrantee it looks like new and it works great I love it.
jtivat is offline  
post #100 of 830 Old 02-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Member
 
Euqruob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the tip! I just ordered my remote.

$45 is a much easier pill to swallow than $100+
Euqruob is offline  
post #101 of 830 Old 02-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Senior Member
 
nin1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
does anyone know a good place online with a great price to get the AVR-888? PM me if u want, thanks
nin1974 is offline  
post #102 of 830 Old 02-28-2008, 03:35 AM
Newbie
 
drvette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question ... I am the owner of a Denon 2308ci that does not support Dolby TrueHD, DD+ and dts-HD Master Audio.
I want to purchase a Blue-Ray player either the Panasonic BD30 or possibly the BD50 which support this format. Now does this mean that the Blue-Ray player has the decoders and my problem will be solved???
drvette is offline  
post #103 of 830 Old 02-28-2008, 07:28 AM
Member
 
YMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvette View Post

Now does this mean that the Blue-Ray player has the decoders and my problem will be solved???

Yep. The Blu-Ray will decode and the 2308 will pass it on. Just don't expect to see TRUE-HD light up on your Denon display. It will probably say Multi-Channel or something similar.

Mark
YMark is offline  
post #104 of 830 Old 02-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Member
 
broomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nin1974 View Post

does anyone know a good place online with a great price to get the AVR-888? PM me if u want, thanks

J&R has it for $599 plus they are an authorized dealer. I think it'd be tough to find an authorized dealer sell it any cheaper than that. I just got mine hooked up and am very impressed.....sounds great, tons of flexibility in setup & such, no disappointments. The remote is just ok but I just got a Harmony One to take its place (very cool remote btw!).
broomet is offline  
post #105 of 830 Old 03-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Member
 
broomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone experienced this one....

Just recently bought that AVR-888 and I do love it. Unfortunately, I'm experiencing one hiccup that's probably due to operator error!

I cannot get a video signal to display out of the front panel V.AUX video input (the RCA/composite video input). We hooked up a karaoke system to those inputs and are able to get the audio to be output fine but no video along with it. (checked the outputs of the karaoke system & they're working fine) I only use the HDMI monitor out to my Mits HC4900 projector. Manual says that the receiver is capable of this video conversion (composite video input -> HDMI output).

Any advice? Thanks much
broomet is offline  
post #106 of 830 Old 03-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Newbie
 
Jeff F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought this receiver and did the Audyssey EQ set up, and it turned out pretty well. However, I noticed that my center and main speakers still needed a little punch - they sounded a bit flat (Klipsch Synergy Series). When I went into Manual EQ to tweak it, I discovered that all of my speakers are set at 63hz, with the levels at 0. The levels sound okay, but as I change the frequencies, I don't seem to hear any difference. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to turn Audyssey off?
Jeff F is offline  
post #107 of 830 Old 03-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Newbie
 
Skorteus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the 2308CI and I can't get the digital audio inputs to work. I have the Soundblaster SB0002 digital IO device with a coax coming out of the spdif out port goint into coax1 DVD/HDP assignable input. I went into setup menu and assigned audio input to coax1 for DVD/HDP. I've verified that good sound is making it to the SB digital I/O device but still no audio through the 2308ci , any help would be appreciated.
Skorteus is offline  
post #108 of 830 Old 03-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Member
 
NamelessMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay someone here said that the Denon 2308CI doesn't support DD HD or DTS HD. Does it or doesn't it? Because I am thinking of getting this receiver as it's the lowest price point receiver with DTS/DD HD but I see mixed responses about it.

My other question is- Does this receiver have enough power to push the Klipsch Quintet 3 speakers?
NamelessMC is offline  
post #109 of 830 Old 03-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Newbie
 
maxstachow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the denon 2308 can play both dd hd and dts hd. it just cant decode them. that means you need a player that can decode them and send it to you amp decoded. i'm currently using a ps3 which decodes dd hd but not dts hd so i can only listen to one of the two. and i yes think that the 2308 can power those speakers w/out a problem. hope that helps.
maxstachow is offline  
post #110 of 830 Old 03-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Member
 
Beer Magazine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys thanks for posting lots of information here. I'm looking at the 2308Ci and was wondering if the 888 is the better choice.

I'm looking for:

Analog/Component HDMI conversion

I want a decent quality component that will help me get rid of the rats nest of wires behind my TV and have a nice sound.

I went to Best Buy and I guess I didn't look into what I needed before I went. They sold me on Denon, but now I really need to know which fits my needs the best.

Is there a major difference between the 888/2308 and 2808. I don't mind spending a little more if the 2808 is the better piece.


Also where is the best place to buy? I don't want to have any issues and buy online and deal with "unauthorized resellers" so if somebody has a "you should buy it here" suggestion...I'd love it.
Beer Magazine is offline  
post #111 of 830 Old 03-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Member
 
Beer Magazine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I just ordered the 2308 from 6th ave...good price. After I spoke with Denon I think the 2308 was my best choice. Just waiting for UPS ground to show up.
Beer Magazine is offline  
post #112 of 830 Old 03-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
Pinstripe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just pick-ed up an 888, brand new at 25% off at BB. Just waiting for my cables from monoprice.
Pinstripe is offline  
post #113 of 830 Old 03-25-2008, 12:54 AM
Newbie
 
maverick152's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by broomet View Post

Has anyone experienced this one....

Just recently bought that AVR-888 and I do love it. Unfortunately, I'm experiencing one hiccup that's probably due to operator error!

I cannot get a video signal to display out of the front panel V.AUX video input (the RCA/composite video input). We hooked up a karaoke system to those inputs and are able to get the audio to be output fine but no video along with it. (checked the outputs of the karaoke system & they're working fine) I only use the HDMI monitor out to my Mits HC4900 projector. Manual says that the receiver is capable of this video conversion (composite video input -> HDMI output).

Any advice? Thanks much

I haven't had this problem, but I did have some problems adding additional components (other than tv). Turns out the AVR-2308 was defective (see page 3). If you can't get it to work, take it back. There aren't many complaints about this receiver out there, but here are a couple... it's not user friendly and it's not immune to defects!
maverick152 is offline  
post #114 of 830 Old 03-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Newbie
 
RIAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need some help . . .

I just installed my AVR-888, did the Audyssey setup (as outlined in the user's manual), and am really dissapointed with the bass output to my Boston Acoustics Powered Sub. My old Yamaha had much better results. The output is way WAY lower with the Denon. I am hoping that I have something set wrong. I did notice that it was set like at -15 dB after the Audyssey setup. I am also noticing that the sub doesn't auto-sense the output as easily as the Yamaha did. I've got the output turned on in the Denon, low pass set to 250 Hz (highest posible). I was thinking of running Audyssey again with the sub gain at the lowest (or lower) setting - instead of half way (where the manual said to set it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon
RIAVS is offline  
post #115 of 830 Old 03-31-2008, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
Pinstripe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone tell me what the 'S' is on the display in terms of audio input?
Pinstripe is offline  
post #116 of 830 Old 03-31-2008, 08:57 PM
Member
 
Beer Magazine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIAVS View Post

Need some help . . .

I just installed my AVR-888, did the Audyssey setup (as outlined in the user's manual), and am really dissapointed with the bass output to my Boston Acoustics Powered Sub. My old Yamaha had much better results. The output is way WAY lower with the Denon. I am hoping that I have something set wrong. I did notice that it was set like at -15 dB after the Audyssey setup. I am also noticing that the sub doesn't auto-sense the output as easily as the Yamaha did. I've got the output turned on in the Denon, low pass set to 250 Hz (highest posible). I was thinking of running Audyssey again with the sub gain at the lowest (or lower) setting - instead of half way (where the manual said to set it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon

I had the same issue and I had to go in an manually bump the output on the sub up to where i could hear it. I'm still learning how to use the menus, but after i turned it up (I also re adjusted the actual sub output on it) it sounds great.
Beer Magazine is offline  
post #117 of 830 Old 04-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Member
 
Beer Magazine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anybody know if there is a way to stop it from losing the signal when you switch channels on the cable box? If I browse it's fine but when I select a new channel it goes blank for a long period.
Beer Magazine is offline  
post #118 of 830 Old 04-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Member
 
regfman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone explain the door on the back of the RC-1080 remote?

I think if I had a better understanding of why the buttons on the remote are arranged the way they are I'd understand the functioning of the AVR-888. (of maybe not.)

Why do I have to open the door on the back of the remote to select the CD or Aux inputs? Seems an AVR would have that on the front side.

And what is the Source Control slider swtich section on the lower section of the front all about?
regfman is offline  
post #119 of 830 Old 04-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Newbie
 
djmcnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by regfman View Post

Can someone explain the door on the back of the RC-1080 remote?

I think if I had a better understanding of why the buttons on the remote are arranged the way they are I'd understand the functioning of the AVR-888. (of maybe not.)

Why do I have to open the door on the back of the remote to select the CD or Aux inputs? Seems an AVR would have that on the front side.

And what is the Source Control slider swtich section on the lower section of the front all about?

Did you get a manual with your 888?
djmcnz is offline  
post #120 of 830 Old 04-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Newbie
 
Awonderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a new 888 and have spent the week fiddling with it. Despite this, I am unable to get a picture from cable box to my TV through the 888. I have read through the history of this group and noticed that there is a small but significant number of people who have had trouble getting video from HDMI1 or HDMI2 out HDMI3 to the TV. When I connect the cable box directly to the TV with HDMI, I have no problem seeing the video (I am not even trying to get audio at this point...) I have changed pretty much every setting I can see related to video, have switched the input from HDMI2 to HDMI1, with no luck. WHen I first turn on the system, I see a brief flash of the picture and then it goes blank and doesn't come back on. Acts a bit like a sync problem. Any help would be appreciated as my kids are about to kill me for not being able to make this work...

SI
Awonderer is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 888 7 1 Channel 5 1 2 Channel Independent Zone Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi I O And Ser

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off