the "official Denon AVR-2308ci / AVR-888 owners thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 830 Old 08-28-2008, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just made the jump to HD and went with the Sharp 46SE94U, Denon AVR-888 and a Shaw HD box. Did the audissey setup, no problems. I can get great sound from the speakers, but I cannot get anything from the TV speakers. I have gone into the manual setup, HDMI, Audio setup, and set it to TV. I get nothing. When I checked the menus in the TV, I cannot change any audio settings in the TV. Like as if it's not getting any audio signals at all. I also get no sound when I try to hook up PC into the audio input on the TV via the 3.5 jack. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 830 Old 09-04-2008, 12:11 AM

Okay, I have searched this thread as well as others and have not found this anywhere so I am assuming that my problem is unique. This makes me feel better, except the fact that it has happened at all.

I was watching the news when I first noticed it, but just thought that it was the channel I was watching.. The noise resembled an FM radio tuned to nothing, with the upper frequencies cut off.. So I get done watching the news - annoyed at this sound and switch the reciever to my PS3 via HDMI.. Noise is there again, but louder now.. at -30 it filled all channels and the entire room. I go to change the input to analog for my mp3 player.. Noise is there again.. Radio, didn't even play sound.. Back to mp3 player in direct mode... Noise is gone.. HMMMM... Radio - direct mode.. radio working.. Ah now I am starting to get it.. Okay.. Time for a processor reset.. reset... lose all my settings.. Turn radio on - distortion major distortion.. Turn on PS3 - noise even louder now.. Turn back to radio - nothing.. direct mode it works..

I do believe that the DSP portion of my reciever has died.. I took reciever back to Ultimate (didn't buy the extended warranty - come on!!! It's DENON).. They are shipping it out to Denon for repairs for me (I wanted a replacement damnit!! I have had the damn thing for less than 6 months).. I will keep everyone posted how long it takes and what the problem was.. Gah.. I am stuck with my old "undependable, cheap" Technics SA-DX930 again.. BTW - how the hell did I get 8 years out of the Technics without any problems and only 6 months with my Denon??
post #153 of 830 Old 09-08-2008, 05:13 PM

Was thinking of getting this one (AVR-888) since it is 50% off with no tax/ shipping at an online retailer. I will be using a PS3 as blu-ray player, separate CD player, and connecting using HDMI/DVI cable to a DVI-D display.

Since I have PS3, I don't care that it won't do the decoding of HD sound. The 2 HDMI inputs isn't great but meets my needs. The only other downside I have heard is that it seems there are issues with these (788/888/988) models and not automatically playing LFE.

Anyone else have any concerns or feedback on this model? Thanks!
post #154 of 830 Old 09-08-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghflyer View Post

Was thinking of getting this one (AVR-888) since it is 50% off with no tax/ shipping at an online retailer. I will be using a PS3 as blu-ray player, separate CD player, and connecting using HDMI/DVI cable to a DVI-D display.

Since I have PS3, I don't care that it won't do the decoding of HD sound. The 2 HDMI inputs isn't great but meets my needs. The only other downside I have heard is that it seems there are issues with these (788/888/988) models and not automatically playing LFE.

Anyone else have any concerns or feedback on this model? Thanks!

Even though I have mine in the shop right now - I miss it and love it to death.. I have had no issues with it not playing the LFE channel.. You just have to make sure you have the setup of the reciever done correctly.. With mine, I chose the automatic setup and it worked just fine.. The only exception is that I set all the speakers to crossover at 80hz and turned up the subwoofer a little bit.. Everything else was a snap..

Edit

post #155 of 830 Old 09-09-2008, 07:08 AM

I purchased an AVR-888 from Circuit City on clearance 2 days ago for the ridiculous price of $380. I can't believe i got it so cheap, this model isnt even 1 year old yet ( supposedly released on 10/07 )..

Anyway I have a few questions..

First my setup

1. LG 47LC7DF TV
2. Xbox 360 running component 1080i, output on HDMI through receiver, audio through optical
3. PS3 running 1080p HDMI to receiver
4. Comcast cable box running 1080i through HDMI to receiver

Everything is output on 1 HDMI to the TV

Here are my questions.

1. On the Xbox and Cable box, i have the option to choose DolbyDigital + PLIIx , to upconvert the 5.1 signals from those to 7.1... On the PS3 I do not get the option for Dolby PLIIx at all.. Why is that? What should the output be if i am trying to have the PS3 be always 7.1?

On the PS3 i have all of the sound decoding options checked off if that matters.

2. On the On Screen Display Menu, under the Parameters option, According to the manual I should have options 1,2,3,4,5 and possibly more past 5.. On none of my inputs do I have Option 4, and I am not sure if there are any options below 5 but if there are, I don't have those either.. Why is that?

Honestly other than this, everything else works perfectly..I had some HDMI issues with my cable box, but these were solved by changing the HDMI output from RGB to YCC, since I did that, HDMI has worked perfectly with my Comcast box. For those of you that don't know how to change that, turn off your cable box, then hit the Menu button on your comcast remote, it will launch a white/gray screen where you can change your HD output settings and HDMI settings..Just hit menu again once you're done.
post #156 of 830 Old 09-09-2008, 07:37 AM

I have last year's AVR-788 and LOVE IT. I have to pick up one of these for my second theatre room because the price is just right ($399 Canadian). The thing is that none of the Futureshops in Canada have them in stock. Has this receiver already been discontinued?

Noel.
post #157 of 830 Old 09-09-2008, 10:02 AM

Thanks for all the feedback - it may be time to pull the trigger!!
post #158 of 830 Old 09-09-2008, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 1277
Quote:
Originally Posted by spockling View Post

I can get great sound from the speakers, but I cannot get anything from the TV speakers.

when the avr is connected to the TV via HDMI, it can either play sound through the surround sound speakers OR it can send the audio to the TV, but it's either/or, you can't do both at the same time.

this is changed in the HDMI setup, you need to change HDMI AUDIO from "AMP" to "TV".

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #159 of 830 Old 09-09-2008, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghflyer View Post

The only other downside I have heard is that it seems there are issues with these (788/888/988) models and not automatically playing LFE.

where did you hear that? what exactly do you mean by "not automatically playing LFE"?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #160 of 830 Old 09-09-2008, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepone View Post

1. On the Xbox and Cable box, i have the option to choose DolbyDigital + PLIIx , to upconvert the 5.1 signals from those to 7.1... On the PS3 I do not get the option for Dolby PLIIx at all.. Why is that? What should the output be if i am trying to have the PS3 be always 7.1?

this is something with your PS3 setup, you should check out the PS3 FAQ stickied at the top of the blu ray forum. Did you look at the left side of the Denon's display, and see what boxes are lit up? This indicates how many channels you are receiving. If the Denon is seeing a 7.1 input from the PS3, it will not do PLIIx. I think there is a thing where if you tell the PS3 you have a 7.1 setup, it always send 7.1 channels and if it's a 5.1 soundtrack the rear surrounds are "blank" channels, so the Denon may not know it's actually getting 5.1.

I don't have a PS3 though, so I recommend you investigate that PS3 FAQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepone View Post

2. On the On Screen Display Menu, under the Parameters option, According to the manual I should have options 1,2,3,4,5 and possibly more past 5.. On none of my inputs do I have Option 4, and I am not sure if there are any options below 5 but if there are, I don't have those either.. Why is that?

The parameters menu varies depending on what surround mode you are in. There will be different adjustible parameters with, say, Dolby Pro Logic Music mode than there will be in 5 CHANNEL STEREO mode.

Check out the little note on page 38 of the manual, upper left: "The adjustable parameters differ for the different surround modes".

The chart on page 61-62 of the manual details which parameters are adjustable depending on which surround mode you are in.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #161 of 830 Old 09-10-2008, 09:22 PM

I have a question for you AVR-888 owners...

Is it possible to listen to FM radio while watching HD DirecTV? The DirecTV is hooked up via HDMI to the receiver, then via an HDMI -> DVI cable to the TV. The process of switching to FM, then pressing video select and selecting the DirecTV input has been followed and there is a flash or flicker on the screen, but no DirecTV signal (FM radio continues playing). On-screen display continues working as well (shows volume level, etc). Any ideas?
post #162 of 830 Old 09-11-2008, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

no, check your manual. HDMI signals cannot be combined with other non-HDMI sources using the "video select" button. If this is something you want to do often, just hook up the dTV box with component instead of hdmi.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #163 of 830 Old 09-11-2008, 07:27 PM

Great! Thanks for your help. It is actually for a client of mine and after a couple minutes of looking at the manual online, I decided to defer to the owner's! Much appreciated.
post #164 of 830 Old 09-11-2008, 08:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

yeah, it's a little note buried in the manual. it's a bummer though, HDMI never likes to play nice with other stuff... it's one of the many reasons I run my cable box via component (so I can listen to music while watching the game)

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #165 of 830 Old 09-14-2008, 09:54 AM

I've had my AVR-888 for about six months. I am using it with a Sony PS3 and a Sony 46" KDL-2500, and a non upscaling Panasonic DVD player. I also have an Apple Airport Express plugged into the CD input and the 2-channel audio from a PC plugged into another input. I can't figure out how to do even 1% of what I suspect the AVR-888 is capable of. I blame it on the crappy manual, the strange user interface and a bizarre remote that comes with this unit. I've read the manual but it appears to be written as an afterthought and definitely not for someone unfamiliar with Denon's way of doing things.

- last night my brother was over and asked if I could turn up the treble and I couldn't even figure out how to do that. Can somebody explain this most basic of functions to me step by step.

Thanks

-
post #166 of 830 Old 09-15-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

when the avr is connected to the TV via HDMI, it can either play sound through the surround sound speakers OR it can send the audio to the TV, but it's either/or, you can't do both at the same time.

this is changed in the HDMI setup, you need to change HDMI AUDIO from "AMP" to "TV".

Hey, Thanks, but I knew that one...but I can only get the sound to come out of the "amp". Switching to TV gives me silence! Is the Tv fried? Or a problem with the AVR-888?
post #167 of 830 Old 09-16-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

that's really weird... sounds like you have everything set up right then. have you tried running the HDMI directly to the TV and seeing if you get sound that way?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #168 of 830 Old 09-19-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regfman View Post

I've had my AVR-888 for about six months. I am using it with a Sony PS3 and a Sony 46" KDL-2500, and a non upscaling Panasonic DVD player. I also have an Apple Airport Express plugged into the CD input and the 2-channel audio from a PC plugged into another input. I can't figure out how to do even 1% of what I suspect the AVR-888 is capable of. I blame it on the crappy manual, the strange user interface and a bizarre remote that comes with this unit. I've read the manual but it appears to be written as an afterthought and definitely not for someone unfamiliar with Denon's way of doing things.

- last night my brother was over and asked if I could turn up the treble and I couldn't even figure out how to do that. Can somebody explain this most basic of functions to me step by step.

-

I have the same question - how does one "turn up the treble and bass," so to speak.
post #169 of 830 Old 09-19-2008, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

MENU > PARAMETERS > TONE CONTROL

see pg 40 of the manual

also, try the "restorer" function when listening to music, it does a nice job of "warming up" the sound

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #170 of 830 Old 09-21-2008, 11:37 AM

So far I have to say this is a nice amp. Took a little time to realize that turning on the SB channels involved getting into the Zone-2 settings.

Now I am looking at the SB CH OUT settings and confused about what to do here. I have 2 SB speakers, and it sounds like if the "flag" isn't properly set (how often does this happen?), then you won't get any SB sound as the default for SB CH OUT is set to "OFF".

What do others with a 7.1 set-up use for this setting?
post #171 of 830 Old 09-22-2008, 01:56 PM

I've had my AVR 888 for about 3 months and have been very pleased with it.

I just picked up my first HDTV and hooked it up via an HDMI cable. The DVR/cable box worked great. We then watched a DVD, and the audio/video worked great. Very nice picture on the Samsung plasma.

The next day I switched turned everything on to watch something via the DVR/cable, and I cannot figure out how to switch the video. The 888 correctly switches the audio, but the video is "stuck" on the DVD. I tried for a couple hours to correct this, but I am stumped. I know that the TV is getting a signal, as the on-screen menus appear, and I only have the HDMI cable hooked up from the 888 to the tv. No DVR signal, though. The manual is no help.

This is probably an easy cure, but I sure can't figure it out. Why does the receiver switch audio and not video? How do I tell the 888 to switch what is going to the TV?

Anyone?

Thank you in advance.
post #172 of 830 Old 09-22-2008, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

how exactly is everything hooked up? DVD to 888? TV to 888? You mentioned you are going HDMI to the TV....

1. have you actually assigned the correct inputs to the TV/CBL source? Go to the INPUT SETUP menu, at the top scroll left/right till you hit "TV/CBL", and then go down to "ASSIGN" and make sure everything is assigned correctly. (pg 34-35 of the manual)

2. assuming it's assigned correctly, in that same menu (INPUT SETUP) go down to "OTHER" and under "VIDEO SELECT", make sure that the video for the TV input is set to "SOURCE".

hope that helps

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #173 of 830 Old 09-22-2008, 02:41 PM

I have a question regarding the AVR-888 that all my searches could not find.

I built a friends system for them recently and they were using an AVR-888.

The setup is the following

-DVD player (Samsung DVD-1080P) connected to Denon using Component Video and Digital Coax for Audio.

-Shaw Digital Cable Box (5200 Series) connected to Denon using S-Video and Digital Coax for Audio.

-Denon is set to up convert video and send to a Samsung 40" 1080p LCD using HDMI.

Everything was configured in the menu's according to the instructions in the manual and "should" be correct. But still could have missed something making this an obvious quick fix.

The issue is if I turn off the TV to listen to music (without the TV being on) the Denon will kill the audio but then give 1 to 2 second spurts of sound like its constantly searching for the signal source. I thought it could have been an issue with some setting for for the audio in being set to "auto" so I changed it to "Digital In" the issue is still occurring. I wanted to know if anyone else has been seeing this issue.

Regardless of the issue I have to say this receiver is incredible for 400$. I couldn't find a better bang for the buck anywhere and when you're making a system on a budget this one could not be passed by.
post #174 of 830 Old 09-22-2008, 04:57 PM

What "mode" are most of you listening to your HD movie audio on? I know there is "Stereo", "Direct", etc, etc............
post #175 of 830 Old 09-22-2008, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

the only HD audio you can get on the 888/2308 is multichannel PCM decoded by the player.

for a 5.1 setup, if you hit "STANDARD" it will say "MULTI CH IN" ... this is basically the default setting for hi-res audio and allows for tone control, bass management, etc. For most people this is the correct setting.

if you hit "DIRECT", the display will say "MULTI CH DIRECT" ... this is analogous to DIRECT vs STEREO on 2-channel music, when in MULTI CH DIRECT mode all unnecessary processing is turned off, so no tone controls or bass management. whatever comes in on a channel is played on that channel, so don't use MULTI CH DIRECT unless your speakers can handle a more full-range signal as speakers will get full-range signals even if set to SMALL.

those are pretty much your only options for multichannel HD audio from a blu ray or hd dvd on the 888/2308, outside of crappy DSP modes like "jazz club". If you have a 7.1 setup, the only difference is that you will see "+ PLIIx" at the end of the text display to indicate it is matrixing the back two channels.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #176 of 830 Old 09-23-2008, 10:19 AM

iam looking to sell my avr 888 it cost me 749.99 so i dont be good price to sell it at
post #177 of 830 Old 09-23-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

considering they are now selling for $375 with free shipping on Amazon, and are being replaced by new '09 models, I would think $300 is a fair price, give or take 25 bucks depending on the condition, if you have the original box, and what accessories you have.

assuming it's mint and you have all the accessories (remote, setup mic, manual, etc), if I were selling it on craigslist I'd post it at $350 and take the first good offer above $300.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #178 of 830 Old 09-23-2008, 11:46 AM

Hi Experts,
I have recently setup home theater system with AVR-888 and Klipsch synergy3 5.1 setup. everything was working great until today.

After changing the placement of the speakers to different position (got a new sofa) and switched ON the Denon, there is no sound coming now! I was scared if i connected the wires wrong and checked each of them... everything looks fine. I can hear noise buzz (radio rattle noise) in all the speakers but no music.

I tried using HDMI hookup to DVD player. I can see the picture in the TV but no sound. Please help as I am not sure if i burnt it....

Tried to reset it but does not help....
post #179 of 830 Old 09-23-2008, 11:59 AM

Did you touch the receiver at all during the moving of speakers. If no you may have a short on the speaker wires and that can cause the security feature to stop all sound production till the issue is found.
post #180 of 830 Old 09-23-2008, 12:51 PM

ok i put at 4oo give or take on craiglist here were i live
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 888 7 1 Channel 5 1 2 Channel Independent Zone Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi I O And Ser

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page