the "official Denon AVR-2308ci / AVR-888 owners thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 830 Old 09-24-2008, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I select Stereo, Direct or Pure Direct modes on my 988, I get output -only- to the subwoofer, not to any other speakers. All other surround modes work fine - all sources to all speakers, including SW.

Sources:
o Sony DVD/CD player -> HDMI cable -> HDMI2
o Windows media center extender -> optical cable -> OPT1
o Playing regular audio CD (2 channel) in the DVD/CD player and 2 channel stereo .mp3 files in the extender.

Speakers:
o 3.1 system: small FL, FR, Center, subwoofer LFE+MAINS

Am I missing something? I just want regular, 2-channel stereo from the 2-channel sources to the FL and FR speakers.

Thanks for any insights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 830 Old 09-24-2008, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 1576
is this the case with all 2-channel sources? e.g. CD's from the CD player, 2-channel DD on standard def cable, etc.?

what happens when you select "5/7 CH STEREO"? on a 3.1 setup (I also run 3.1) the 5 CH STEREO mode should effectively be identical to STEREO mode, but with the center channel mixed in. Does sound come out of the L/R mains correctly in that mode?

go into the AUDIO SETUP and then 2 CH DIRECT/STEREO setup. make sure the settings there aren't screwy -- maybe switch it back to "Basic" if you've customized it, this will put 2-channel sources at your default crossover/level settings.

also, just as a double check since you're all-digital, try hooking up your CD player with analog red/white audio cables and use the "Input Mode" button to force "Analog" playback.... does it still happen with analog?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #183 of 830 Old 09-24-2008, 11:44 AM

Batpig, thank you for the quick response. You are quite a resource on this forum.

When in doubt reboot. Microprocessor reset on the 988 fixed all the issues.
post #184 of 830 Old 09-24-2008, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

awesome, glad to hear it

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #185 of 830 Old 09-24-2008, 02:43 PM

Batpig,

Seems your quite a resource here. Would you be able to test the issue I was having with my receiver posted earlier?
Quote:

The issue is if I turn off the TV to listen to music (without the TV being on) the Denon will kill the audio but then give 1 to 2 second spurts of sound like its constantly searching for the signal source. I thought it could have been an issue with some setting for for the audio in being set to "auto" so I changed it to "Digital In" the issue is still occurring. I wanted to know if anyone else has been seeing this issue.

It's been bothering me quite a bit and can't seem to find any assistance on it.
post #186 of 830 Old 09-24-2008, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I honestly have no idea, that's pretty unusual. Have you tried to test to see if the same thing happens with analog audio?

Are you listening to music from cable channels, or are you talking about listening to music from another source (CD, ipod, etc)?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #187 of 830 Old 09-24-2008, 03:37 PM

I have to admit I've only tested this on Digital Coax Connections since I was not using analog. Might be worth a shot. I think it must have some relation to the HDMI cable since when I turn of the TV this is when the audio is lost. Then the receiver seems to find the audio every few seconds. It's like its scanning when there is no video signal. I'll have to try a few things and see how it goes, but I wanted to know if anyone has even tried turning off their TV when listening to something. It occurs on both DVD and Cable. So its tough to know whats going on inside. But I will dig a little bit deeper.
post #188 of 830 Old 09-24-2008, 03:47 PM

I did read the manual, plug in all my connections, turned on the AVR-888, did some configurations, and had the HDMI output working for 1 day... then nothing.

Here's the setup:
Inputs -->
DVD player via composite and digital coax for audio
Home Theatre PC via component and optical Toslink for audio. The PC is set to 720p resolution. The PC has input from cable box and has multiple tuners to act as a DVR, hence all my TV content is consumed through this device.
Output -->
HDMI to DVI cable to LCD TV
also Component output to LCD TV (as backup for the HDMI that's not working!)

Both the DVD and the Home Theatre PC worked well over the HDMI to DVI connection to the TV screen for 1 day. Now I can't get it to work! Tried to play with the colors, with the i/p convert, with the manual assignments, remove the component wire, tried to reset the AVR-888... all to no avail. Please help.

On the other hand, I can get the audio to work perfectly.

Small other glitch: even with component output to TV, I sometimes get a reset of the screen. TV loses the signal for a second then comes back on. I tried with different cables, but still the same issue.

Look forward to hear from the experience in this thread
post #189 of 830 Old 09-24-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmp3 View Post

Sources:
o Sony DVD/CD player -> HDMI cable -> HDMI2
o Windows media center extender -> optical cable -> OPT1

Have you been able to program the Denon remote (find a proper preset code) to operate your MCE extender?

I have a full MCE HTPC connected to the AVR-888 but have not found how to do away with the Microsoft remote...
post #190 of 830 Old 09-24-2008, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Hi everyone, I just purchased a new 888 from Big River for the nice price it's going at right now. Honestly that's a steal for a quality AVR. Obviously the drawbacks are lack of HD audio processing and only 2 HDMI, but those are easily amendable considering I have a PS3 to do the HD audio processing and can always get a HDMI switcher. Anyways I can't wait to post my experience with this AVR. I'm coming from a cheap Sony HTIB for the last 2 years so any upgrade is going to be an improvement.

One quick question though. I'm planning on using 2 subwoofers with my sound system, but I've never done this before so I'm not completely sure how to go about this. Now I know one will be through the subwoofer out, but the second subwoofer I'm guessing will be through the "Front-B" speaker outlets on the 888. Is this correct? Then I figure I would have to set this speaker to "Large" on the AVR and then manually adjust the crossover point directly on the subwoofer. Let me know if that's the wrong way to do it. I'll ask the question in the subwoofer forum if no one knows. Thanks.
post #191 of 830 Old 09-25-2008, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

the only HD audio you can get on the 888/2308 is multichannel PCM decoded by the player.

for a 5.1 setup, if you hit "STANDARD" it will say "MULTI CH IN" ... this is basically the default setting for hi-res audio and allows for tone control, bass management, etc. For most people this is the correct setting.

if you hit "DIRECT", the display will say "MULTI CH DIRECT" ... this is analogous to DIRECT vs STEREO on 2-channel music, when in MULTI CH DIRECT mode all unnecessary processing is turned off, so no tone controls or bass management. whatever comes in on a channel is played on that channel, so don't use MULTI CH DIRECT unless your speakers can handle a more full-range signal as speakers will get full-range signals even if set to SMALL.

those are pretty much your only options for multichannel HD audio from a blu ray or hd dvd on the 888/2308, outside of crappy DSP modes like "jazz club". If you have a 7.1 setup, the only difference is that you will see "+ PLIIx" at the end of the text display to indicate it is matrixing the back two channels.

Thanks batpig. I watched a TrueHD5.1 last night, and when I hit the STD button, the display says "MULTI CH DIRECT PLIIx C", which I am guessing means that the Dolby Pro-Logic IIx (Cinema) is taking the PCM of the 5.1HD track and making it a 7.1HD track.

I like this model so far, but I am having a little problem hearing dialogue and am going to have to adjust the level of the Center speaker up from the Audyssey setting.

Does everyone have their SB CH OUT (Surround Back) set to Auto?
post #192 of 830 Old 09-25-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvanus View Post

Have you been able to program the Denon remote (find a proper preset code) to operate your MCE extender?

I have a full MCE HTPC connected to the AVR-888 but have not found how to do away with the Microsoft remote...

sylvanus:

No, I've not even tried because I hate the Denon remote. I have a HP MediaSmart TV with integrated WMC extender. The HP has a decent programmable remote that controls the extender and also controls the volume and mute on the Denon, I just wish I could get it to control the Denon source.

I suppose you've looked at the Harmony remotes - don't know how well they do with extenders. Good luck
post #193 of 830 Old 09-28-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple1234 View Post

Hi Experts,
I have recently setup home theater system with AVR-888 and Klipsch synergy3 5.1 setup. everything was working great until today.

After changing the placement of the speakers to different position (got a new sofa) and switched ON the Denon, there is no sound coming now! I was scared if i connected the wires wrong and checked each of them... everything looks fine. I can hear noise buzz (radio rattle noise) in all the speakers but no music.

I tried using HDMI hookup to DVD player. I can see the picture in the TV but no sound. Please help as I am not sure if i burnt it....

Tried to reset it but does not help....

Okay I have an update on my Denon.. It's not something I like to hear, and it sounds like the same thing that happened to your reciever.

I talked to the guy in the shop that is fixing my receiever, and he said that he had to replace 3 voltage regulators. One of which ran the digital board that carries all the digital sound processors. He told me that recently, almost everytime he gets a Denon in, its a voltage regulator that has failed in it. He believes that Denon recieved a bad batch and this is the result. In my receivers case, it fried the board and that needed to be replaced (he said that it was one of the most expensive parts in the reciever as well). This could happen to any one, but as manufacturers try to cut costs...........
post #194 of 830 Old 10-04-2008, 08:41 PM

I have an AVR-888 and when watching BD on my PS3 it kept powering off. . Probably due to certain audio, the sounds were pretty low. I am connected through HDMI. If I played the segment again, it would die in the same spot every time.

Any ideas?
post #195 of 830 Old 10-05-2008, 09:22 AM
tc1
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Don't have the same setup but unless it dies within seconds of starting I would first suspect bad disc.

HTPC With OTA only, HD with Surround is so AWESOME!
post #196 of 830 Old 10-06-2008, 07:19 AM

Well I took the plunge into the Amazon River and came up with an AVR888. It'll get here on Wed ( so they say) so I am a bit pumped! It's my birthday present to me. At first I'll have to use it as a two channel system but am hoping to expand to a 5.1 depending on how good Santa is to me. I'll give the report when I get it set up and give it a listen. It even has a phono preamp so I might get the old TT out and spin some vinyl. That'll bring back the memories.

"What is truth?" - Pontius Pilate
"I am the way and the truth and the light" - Jesus Christ
post #197 of 830 Old 10-09-2008, 08:32 AM

Hi.

I've got a problem connecting my XBOX 360 through HDMI to a DENON 2308CI receiver, and this receiver to a NEC projector VT595 using HDMI too (via HDMI to DVI adapter connected in the projector's DVI input).

When I don't use the DENON receiver and connect the XBOX 360 directly to the NEC projector, I got image no matter the resolution (playing games in High Definition, or watching video DVDs in 480p).

But, when I use the receiver, I only got image in HD. When I try to watch some DVD in the XBOX the image desappears. I got only a lot of color pixels...

And when I use a Panasonic DVR via HDMI to the receiver (and of course HDMI from the receiver to the projector), I can't watch videos too. And again if I connect the Panasonic directly to the projector everything works.

So, the problem is trying to watch video in 480p passing the signal through the receiver using HDMI.

Anyone knows how to solve this problem ?

Thanks a lot.
Rosinaldo Fonseca
post #198 of 830 Old 10-09-2008, 09:41 AM
tc1
Advanced Member

Go to "HDMI Video Setup" in the manual and I believe you want "Auto" for HDMI out

post #199 of 830 Old 10-09-2008, 09:47 AM
tc1
Advanced Member

Also read "Connecting equipment using HDMI connectors" and you can upconvert the resolution

post #200 of 830 Old 10-09-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1 View Post

Go to "HDMI Video Setup" in the manual and I believe you want "Auto" for HDMI out

I've already did that.

The options for "HDMI Video Setup" that I've chosen are:
i/p Scaler: A to H
Resolution: Auto
Progressive Mode: Auto
Aspect: Full
Color Space: RGB
RGB Range: Normal

And I've tried to change these settings, but the problem have persisted.

It looks like some kind of "handshake" problem. Someone can help me here ? There is some way to "update" the firmware of the DENON 2308CI ? Note: it doesn't have Ethernet port.

Thanks.
post #201 of 830 Old 10-11-2008, 09:30 AM

I am using one HDMI connection from the receiver to the panasonic plasma, and have Scientific Atlantic HD cable box connected with component cables to the receiver that upconverts to HDMI just fine with a normal aspect picture, but the composite video connection from the (cheap) DVD player to the receiver yields a very rectangular and narrow picture on the plasma no matter what settings I change. Extra large black bars above and below the picture with only about 1/3rd of the display and 2/3rds black bars. Is there some other setting that I am missing?......I have played with many combinations including the aspect zoom on the panny plasma. Same effect no matter the movie as well.
post #202 of 830 Old 10-14-2008, 12:42 PM

ok...another set of questions....

from my understanding, this receiver does upconvert all video signals to hdmi, correct? meaning i can connect my source box to the receiver via component cables and send the video to my tv set via hdmi and everything would be fine, right? no video loss or distortion?

second, my question is does the audio also get passed through via hdmi in this case. asking because there will be times when some viewers would prefer to just use the tv speakers as oppose to the surround speakers. if not analog audio, does other digital audio connected via coaxial or fiber optic pass through to hdmi?
post #203 of 830 Old 10-14-2008, 02:00 PM
tc1
Advanced Member

Q#1 yes, I am doing that from component. Don't know about others.

Q#2 You can choose to audio out via HDMI or 2308 but it probably would be inconveniant to change back and fourth

post #204 of 830 Old 10-18-2008, 03:51 PM

My current setup:
Pio 6010 1080p plasm
Denon 2308i AVR
Oppo 980 upconverting DVD
Panasonic BD35 BluRay

I originally chose to connect my Oppo by running HDMI to the TV for vid and digital coax to AVR for audio. Now I want to connect my BD35. I also connect my TV to cable DVR via HDMI for vid and run coax to AVR. I like this setup and do not wish to change it.
I have connected BD35 to AVR via HDMI and AVR to TV via HDMI because I want to take advantage of the advanced audio decoding of the BD35. I set my original system a year ago and am having trouble. There is only one input selection for DVD/HDP so how do I keep my original setup for my OPPO; how do I use the Input Setup and Input Mode to setup my BD35 so it uses separated settings? I'm very confused and need help getting started.

Thanks Dennis
post #205 of 830 Old 10-19-2008, 06:32 AM
tc1
Advanced Member

The confusion will continue but I can point you in a direction to start. Put the BD35 on the VCR button and change settings on the VCR accordingly. You can change the input name on the display to reflect this. The manual provides the factual data you need but not the guidance but it would take one of those Dummies books to convey the info that the average person needs. Depending on your knowledge it could be a long day.

I have upconverting DVD w/HDMI on DVD/HDP, DVD w/Component on TV/CBL , HTPC w/HDMI on VCR and TV audio in on AUX.

post #206 of 830 Old 10-19-2008, 07:04 AM

tc1:

Are you saying that I should use the Input Select of Auto on the Input Source the AVR switches to HDMI when I turn on the BD35 but I cannot get the Setup Menu to appear on the TV. I was thinking I had missed a step somewhere in the link. It sounds like you are saying that I need to to put the BD35 on its own Input Select (VCR). Correct?

Dennis
post #207 of 830 Old 10-19-2008, 07:33 AM

tci:

I tried using the VCR/Ipod setting and am still not getting the Menu on the TV. I assigned it to HDMI1 on AVR setup. I tried both HDMI 1 and Auto for Input Mode and tried both Auto and PCM for Decode. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Dennis
post #208 of 830 Old 10-19-2008, 07:45 AM
tc1
Advanced Member

I don't remember the exact definitions of all the terms. My knowledge level? I would gladly have paid double for a "Dummies" book. But I did get it all to work as stated above.

"I need to to put the BD35 on its own Input Select (VCR). Correct?"

I am concerned about miscommunication but the way I understand that statement the answer is yes. Does this make sense: Pretend the "VCR" button on the remote is instead labeled "BD35" and make connections and settings accordingly.

You can use any of the inputs that have audio and video. Note that I have a DVD on "TV/CBL" and actual TV digital audio in on "AUX" in and HTPC on VCR. The label does not make it be that, the function/feature does. Also you want most used units on the Front of the remote not the back buttons.

post #209 of 830 Old 10-19-2008, 07:54 AM
tc1
Advanced Member

I found it easier to use a composit or Svd out from 2308 monitor to one of the comparble TV video inputs. Set the TV input to that choice and then you can always see your 2308 menu there. make your choices and then switch and check results. There is a setting to tell the 2308 to display menu and it depends on the video out as to weather it actually will. That is why I just went to a composit text mode display and then made changes cause that combo always allowed me to see the menu. Clear as mud?

post #210 of 830 Old 10-19-2008, 07:56 AM

I have now got the menu up, yea! Did you use 16:9 or 16:9 Full?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 888 7 1 Channel 5 1 2 Channel Independent Zone Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi I O And Ser

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page