the "official Denon AVR-2308ci / AVR-888 owners thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 830 Old 11-25-2007, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay having just bought this new system and setting it up, kinda ..lol..

running 5.1 speaker set up
energy rc mini fronts and rear surrounds
energy rc center
energy S10.3 sub

I used the Audyssey setup and only left the mic in one place through the 6 tries it goes through. It was late at night and just wanted to see what it was gonna do. Here`s what it came up with

channel level check
FL +1.5 db
FL + 1.5 db
C -2.0 db
SW -1.0db
SL -1.0 db
SR +1.0db

Cross over frequency check
Front 120hz
Center 150hz
surround 110hz

my dvd is a sony blu ray BDPS-300 and my t.v is a sony KDL40W3000
I have the blu ray going into the receiver with only the HDMI cable and watched a movie last night with it.

I dont know much about the home theatre thing and as much as I read it seems to be more confusing. So please feel free anyone to post about there settings or even comment on mine as I dont know what it really means thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 830 Old 11-25-2007, 09:52 AM

I am thinking about getting the AVR-888 today! What do you think about it. How is the sound quality? Have you had any issues with it so far....i have a Harmon Kardon AVR-247 but have had issues since the start yesterday. My old Denon was better.

Denon AVR-988
RTi8(fronts)
CSi A6(Center)
RTi4(surrounds)
eD A2-300
PS3 160gb
post #3 of 830 Old 11-25-2007, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Money well spent, I really love this amp coming from an older pioneer. I just did the Audyssey setup again and moved the mic around a bit and it sounds even better this time around. You can see the set up on the tv and after it`s all done calibrating you can see the results. I was considering yamaha and harmon kardon also but after listening to denon it was the one for me. I have my sony blu ray player connected through the reciever hdmi cable and the video and audio has been flawless so far, and only one cable which was another plus for me.
post #4 of 830 Old 12-02-2007, 04:36 PM

My setup includes a 2308CI connected using the HDMI to a BENQ PE7700 (720P) projector, an Xbox 360 (bought before I knew about the Xbox elites with HDMI), the Xbox HD DVD player, Definition speakers, with some older BOSE speakers for rear surround and a KEF center channel. A real mix and match.

The audyssey setup amazed me, and sounds great to me, even in a really peculiar room.

Do I have to go back to school to learn to use the Denon remote control? I have to abandon the remote to switch between my ipod and the xbox, and even then i don't know what i'm doing. Seriously, what is the best way for a complete AVR newbie to learn about the Denon's features?

12-08-2007...
Source Control Left.. AUDIO.... check
Source Control Right.. IPod/NETWORK... check
Open Secret Back Door... check
Press button 7... DVR.. check

That is how I can get the HD movie back on the screen if someone presses the wrong button on the remote....

Beyond the mysterious remote design, though, is pure gold... Pure listening pleasure...
post #5 of 830 Old 12-02-2007, 07:35 PM

Liked: 11
My 2308CI arrives Wednesday, replacing my 3300 which replaced my 2500. Both the 3300 and the 2500 are still working.

Mark
post #6 of 830 Old 12-05-2007, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

The Odyssey setup amazed me also. I kinda thought it was a gimmick thing but it`s the real deal and for some people like me who don`t know enough about set up manually etc... The audyssey sounds great with my energy system
post #7 of 830 Old 12-09-2007, 05:16 PM

any links that spell out the difference between the 2308 and 888?
post #8 of 830 Old 12-09-2007, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

888 is the big box stores version of the 2308. Only other difference is 2308 comes with an extra smaller remote.
post #9 of 830 Old 12-10-2007, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hows the upconverting of the 2308ci?

Thats the only thing that would make me get the 2308ci over the 1908.
post #10 of 830 Old 12-11-2007, 04:00 PM

How's the SD quality after upconverting via AVR-888 to your W3000 ? Any improvement ?

I assume that there would be no noticable difference with the HD quality ?

I just got the KDL52W3000, BDPS-300 and AVR-888 but haven't hooked up the AVR yet...very intimidating !
post #11 of 830 Old 12-12-2007, 06:09 AM

My 2308ci arrived yesterday along with a set of Kef 3005SE speakers and a RocketFish wireless system for the rears. Pioneer 5010FD arrives today. Looks like I'm going to have a busy day today setting everything up - looked at the 2308ci user manual yesterday and the manual doesn't look too user friendly
post #12 of 830 Old 12-12-2007, 09:49 AM

can you post some more things you like and dont like about this receiver? I am stuck between this and a pioneer elite vsx-90. thanks.
post #13 of 830 Old 12-12-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techboydino View Post

can you post some more things you like and dont like about this receiver? I am stuck between this and a pioneer elite vsx-90. thanks.

I've only had the unit set up for a few hours so I can't really comment in depth on what I like or don't like yet, but so far I like that it runs fairly cool (unlike Onkyos) and it sounds pretty darn good to my ears. I don't like that it has only two HDMI inputs (unlike comparable Onkyo which has 3). I'm sure though that I'll have more likes and dislikes as I get to know the 2308.
post #14 of 830 Old 12-13-2007, 06:10 AM

OK, so I am having some HDMI issues and I'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting- I'm not sure if the issues are with the 2308 or with my Pioneer 5010FD. I have an HD cable box and Oppo 980 running HDMI into the Denon 2308ci and then single HDMI into the Pioneer. Both cable box and DVD were working fine for about 30 minutes after setting them up but then the video signal dropped and the pioneer just had a blank screen (but the audio continued to play through the 2308ci). I switched everything on and off and still nothing then the picture randomly came back for a few minutes then disappeared and now it will play for a few minutes and then drop out again. The 2308 is brand new and I'm still learning both it and the Pioneer so I'm not sure I've got everything set properly. Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
post #15 of 830 Old 12-13-2007, 06:35 AM

Can someone verify whether this works OK or not? I was reading the in the Onkyo TX-SR705 forum that they need to switch the tv on to play a cd through their dvd player. Is that really true for the Denon as well? I want to buy a receiver and would like to know if this works OK with the Denon. Thanks.
post #16 of 830 Old 12-13-2007, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbellius View Post

OK, so I am having some HDMI issues and I'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting- I'm not sure if the issues are with the 2308 or with my Pioneer 5010FD. I have an HD cable box and Oppo 980 running HDMI into the Denon 2308ci and then single HDMI into the Pioneer. Both cable box and DVD were working fine for about 30 minutes after setting them up but then the video signal dropped and the pioneer just had a blank screen (but the audio continued to play through the 2308ci). I switched everything on and off and still nothing then the picture randomly came back for a few minutes then disappeared and now it will play for a few minutes and then drop out again. The 2308 is brand new and I'm still learning both it and the Pioneer so I'm not sure I've got everything set properly. Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

The first thing I would do is bypass the Denon and verify your source (including the HDMI cable) is working.

If everything is OK with that, I would hook up only the cable box to HDMI 1 on the Denon. Verify your input settings on the Denon using the setup. Remember that in order to get the on screen setup display on your TV, you must be using component (or maybe S-video), HDMI does not work for on screen setup. Using the setup, verify that the HDMI 1 is set to or whatever the option is. (I'm not at home so this is from memory)

If this works OK, connect your DVD player using HDMI 2, and verify the settings again using the setup.

Please post your results. Good luck.

Mark
post #17 of 830 Old 12-13-2007, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmeli View Post

Can someone verify whether this works OK or not? I was reading the in the Onkyo TX-SR705 forum that they need to switch the tv on to play a cd through their dvd player. Is that really true for the Denon as well? I want to buy a receiver and would like to know if this works OK with the Denon. Thanks.

I have a dedicated CD player now, but on my old Denon 3300, I used to play CDs using my DVD player and I did NOT have to have the TV on. That makes no sense.

Mark
post #18 of 830 Old 12-13-2007, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

I have had the 888 for a few weeks now and it love it. It totaly blows my old pioneer away. My setup was very easy, hdmi from tv to 888 and sony bluray to 888 via hdmi also. I have had no problems at all, none. The sony blu ray player is slow to start up but thats just way is bdps-300. I can tell you that I heard my same speakers energy rc mini system with a yamaha amp and with the denon 888 I am getting louder cleaner sound at lower level. I dont have my sat connected to it yet as I am waiting to get a hd sat receiver. The hdmi so far has been perfect.
post #19 of 830 Old 12-13-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMark View Post

The first thing I would do is bypass the Denon and verify your source (including the HDMI cable) is working.

If everything is OK with that, I would hook up only the cable box to HDMI 1 on the Denon. Verify your input settings on the Denon using the setup. Remember that in order to get the on screen setup display on your TV, you must be using component (or maybe S-video), HDMI does not work for on screen setup. Using the setup, verify that the HDMI 1 is set to or whatever the option is. (I'm not at home so this is from memory)

If this works OK, connect your DVD player using HDMI 2, and verify the settings again using the setup.

Please post your results. Good luck.

When I get home tonight I'm going to bypass the Denon and run the HDMI directly to the Pioneer to see if that connection works. If it does, then I can focus on figuring out why the Denon is having problems. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to just run HDMI video directly from each component into the Pioneer (it has 4 HDMI inputs) and then Optical from each component to the Denon for sound?

I've read that the cable box I have (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR) has some HDMI issues and that HDMI itself is a troublesome standard. I've also read that sometimes replacing the HDMI cables works, but I don't want to go waste more money on cables if they won't make a difference... a lot of potential failure points for troubleshooting!
post #20 of 830 Old 12-13-2007, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmeli View Post

They probably have their 705 configured incorrectly.

Quote:

I have a dedicated CD player now, but on my old Denon 3300, I used to play CDs using my DVD player and I did NOT have to have the TV on. That makes no sense.

Irrelevant ... you were using an optical or coax SPDIF connection, not HDMI.
post #21 of 830 Old 12-13-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Irrelevant ... you were using an optical or coax SPDIF connection, not HDMI.

Good point. I didn't even think of that. My oversight.

Mark
post #22 of 830 Old 12-14-2007, 10:26 AM

Well I tried everything (short of purchasing $150 worth of new HDMI cables) to try to get the Denon to switch the 2 HDMI sources I mentioned in my original post, but no luck. I tweaked all the settings, etc. to no avail- as soon as I switch from one input to the next the HDMI loses the handshake or something and I get a blank screen. I tried the Cable box alone and after a while if you change channels and the resolution is different or if you use the program guide it loses connection and gives a black screen.

So the final solution was to run the HDMI video directly from each component into the Pioneer (it has 4 HDMI inputs) and then Optical Audio from each component to the Denon for sound. It works flawlessly now and the Pioneer has no problem switching HDMI.

The set up will work this way but it's a bit disappointing to spend the extra on an HDMI switching receiver and then not be able to use it for this function. other than that the sound on the 2308 is great and I'm pretty happy with it.

PS- YMark posted above that the onscreen display works only with S-Video or Component, but it actually worked for me over HDMI with no other outpout to the TV connected. Thanks for the other info though Ymark.
post #23 of 830 Old 12-14-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMark View Post

Remember that in order to get the on screen setup display on your TV, you must be using component (or maybe S-video), HDMI does not work for on screen setup.

Wow, is this a new "feature" of the 888?
My 887 outputs the OSD via hdmi fine. There is some screen blinking and etc as the resolution is adjusted, but I've seen the OSD, and I only have one cable going to my tv.
post #24 of 830 Old 12-14-2007, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbellius View Post

The set up will work this way but it's a bit disappointing to spend the extra on an HDMI switching receiver and then not be able to use it for this function. other than that the sound on the 2308 is great and I'm pretty happy with it.

Save those HDMI inputs for something that really matters ... like HD-DVD or Blu. Of course there's no guarantee ... life on the bleed'n' edge.
post #25 of 830 Old 12-15-2007, 08:07 PM

I'm having the same problems with the AVR-788. I can't get the HDMI to work through the Denon 788. I'm not really sure what is going on, but this is what I've found. I bought HDMI cables from walmart after plugging and unplugging everything several times to no avail. I borrowed a cable from a friend and everything worked fine for a few days, now nothing works except for the sound. I get no picture to a new Samsung plasma. The Samsung can see an HDMI connection but it will not produce a picture. The Samsung works fine if I connect the Dishnetwork DVR directly to the Samsung(I'm getting 1080P according to the TV status). I can't get anything through the Denon-788. I agree with you, I'm disappointed if I can't use the Denon-788 for HDMI switching. When everything was working the Dishnetork box could see both the Denon and the Samsung as it reported the connections in the status, now it can't "see" anything. Have you learned anything else?
post #26 of 830 Old 12-16-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickerlee View Post

I'm having the same problems with the AVR-788. I can't get the HDMI to work through the Denon 788. I'm not really sure what is going on, but this is what I've found. I bought HDMI cables from walmart after plugging and unplugging everything several times to no avail. I borrowed a cable from a friend and everything worked fine for a few days, now nothing works except for the sound. I get no picture to a new Samsung plasma. The Samsung can see an HDMI connection but it will not produce a picture. The Samsung works fine if I connect the Dishnetwork DVR directly to the Samsung(I'm getting 1080P according to the TV status). I can't get anything through the Denon-788. I agree with you, I'm disappointed if I can't use the Denon-788 for HDMI switching. When everything was working the Dishnetork box could see both the Denon and the Samsung as it reported the connections in the status, now it can't "see" anything. Have you learned anything else?

I read that it can have a lot to do with the order in which you turn the components on- i.e. TV, then Receiver, then DVR - do it in a different order and the HDCP handshake won't work and you get no picture. Also if you switch HDMI inputs and switch back it can lose the handshake and again no picture. I gave up on trying to troubleshoot it and didn't want to have to be concerned with start up order and be constantly troubleshooting random drop outs, so now I just run video direct to TV and audio to AVR.
post #27 of 830 Old 12-22-2007, 05:11 AM

Hi guys/gals my 2308 also shows the OSD via HDMI as well. Remote really takes some time to get used to it then there is the secret hidden panel on the back of it LOL.

Instruction manual seems pretty clear to me. Just you gotta really take some time with this receiver and learn the ins and outs, I only had mine two days now.

I have to finish mounting my speakers then try out the Audyssey setup.
post #28 of 830 Old 12-27-2007, 07:58 AM

I'm trying to use my iPod on my Denon 2308. I do not own the Denon iPod dock (it's neat, but I don't feel like spending $150). I'm trying to run it through the CD input using RCA cables. I thought I had everything configured correctly, but I don't get any audio. (As an aside, I'm a noob but I managed to set up my Blu-Ray and Cable/DVR via HDMI without any difficulty.)

Can someone (who has this set up correctly) describe the settings you used on the 2308 used to make this work? Any troubleshooting suggestions? Thanks.
post #29 of 830 Old 12-27-2007, 09:29 AM

I talked to a rep and 6th ave yesterday and they still had this receiver at 798.00 with no shipping and the 3808 for 1099.00 with no shipping. The rep told me that this deal supposedly ends on the 28th of this month. Hope this helps
post #30 of 830 Old 12-27-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiness4me View Post

I talked to a rep and 6th ave yesterday and they still had this receiver at 798.00 with no shipping and the 3808 for 1099.00 with no shipping. The rep told me that this deal supposedly ends on the 28th of this month. Hope this helps

Sorry this was meant for the 2808 thread
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 888 7 1 Channel 5 1 2 Channel Independent Zone Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi I O And Ser

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page