Unusual Denon Link Issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 11-28-2007, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Denon 4308CI AVR (Latest Firmware) along with Denon's DVD-3910 (Latest Firmware). They both have Denon Link connections so I am using that hookup for my audio chores between the DVD / Audio Player and my receiver.

The problem is that the 4308CI cannot recognize the Denon Link signal unless some other digital audio connection is made between the two - such as also connecting the DVD player to the receiver with an HDMI cable or Coax cable.

I have set the receiver to assign Denon Link to the DVD input and forced the input mode to Digital rather than auto. And, as a matter of fact, I do need to connect an HDMI cable as well to use the receiver as my switch with my display, so, in a sense, this problem is moot as I need that second cable connection anyway. With this setup, the Denon Link works very well for my SACDs and the like.

I just think it is odd that as soon as I remove the HDMI cable, Denon Link fails to function. I also tried this with a coax cable with the same results - even more weird here since in this case, the digital assignment is still Denon Link and NOT coax and yet the Denon Link is only recognized by the 4308CI with the second digital cable connected from the DVD player. And yes, when the second cable is connected, the digital output from the DVD player is via Denon Link. I know this due to the Multi Channel In that I hear from my SACDs that wouldn't be possible over coax.

So is this much ado about nothing? Or does this signal a problem with the receiver, DVD player, or perhaps some missed setting on one or the other or both?

Thanks for any ideas or advice.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page