Official Thread For Pioneer VSX-9120TXH-K( For all you canadians out there) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 11-28-2007, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, thought I would start a seperate thread for the receiver which holds this name, I've heard that this is only available in Canada, but is essentially the same as the VSX91TXH Elite, which you will find in the States.

I will start off by saying this, after being totally stoked after picking this unit up for it's HDMI properties, I was quite dissapointed to find out that there is no way to get it to decode DTSHD-Master Audio using a PS3, due to the fact the PS3 doesn't support this format in any way shape or form. It can't even send out the bitstream to your receiver, so no HD Master for me. Bummer!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-29-2007, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
What made you think the PS3 did support DTS Master?
post #3 of 22 Old 11-29-2007, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post

What made you think the PS3 did support DTS Master?

Because you would figure with all the firmware updates the PS3 has had so far including, deep colour, Super White HDMI, Dolby TrueHD etc... that this was just a gimme, obviously the PS3 can bitstream, since it will bitstream dolby digital, DTS etc... It can also output 96khz/24bit fidelity for playback on audio cd. So to answer your own question with a question, why wouldn't it?????????
post #4 of 22 Old 12-23-2007, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So - anyone else up here in Canuck land care to comment on this receiver? How does it do as a video scaler? Can you bi-amp your fronts with the rear channels with this unit? Is it a high current amp - the measurement of 130watts/ channel - all channels driven or one at a time?

How does this unit compare with the Yamaha 6080, the Denon 888, the H/K 347?

Lot of questions, but not much info here so there ya have it.

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #5 of 22 Old 12-27-2007, 03:31 PM

I just bought this today and was trying to find out if it upscales to 1080p with the hdmi. I know it will scale through the HDMI to the tv but im not sure if it was p or i.

Also, this receiver is the same as the elite? So does that mean it was built to elite standards or regular pioneer standards?
post #6 of 22 Old 01-18-2008, 08:08 AM

does this do hdmi pass through so i can get 1080p/24hz?
post #7 of 22 Old 01-18-2008, 09:01 PM

Hi all,

I would like to run something by you that I just come across while watching this movie. I have the following equipment:

Samsung BD-1400 with the latest firmware that enables bitstreaming of all HD audio codecs i.e. DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD and HDMI bitsream is enabled on this player.

My reciever is Pioneer VSX-9120TXH-k which is equivalent of the Pioneer VSX-91TXH US model ( I am based in Canada)

Here is where I experience a problem. When I start playing Pan's Labirynth, at the very beginning, there is a short section of audio, like a jingle, that has my receiver "light up" all the icons for all the speakers i.e. 7 speakers including both left and right surround speakers plus LFE (subwoofer) This is what I would call and expect from DTS HD MA 7.1 soundtrack.

However, this lasts only maybe a minute and when I start playing teh movie itself, both back surround speakers (left and right) are not lit anymore on the reciever ???!!! Which means I am back to DTS-HD MA 5.1 not 7.1 ??? Did you experience the same problem or is this a problem with my setup ? I have to mention that I have not hooked up 2 back surround speakers as of yet - just getting everything setup

However, I would understand that you need all the speakers to be present, if it wasn't for that 1 min audio the beginning of the disc that has all the speakers icons lit up on the reciever, What gives ??? Is this disc simply DTS HD MA 5.1 instead of 7.1 throughout the whole movie ?

A few reviews on the net mention that " the film's Spanish DTS HD Master Audio 7.1 surround track is inarguably exceptional.Simply put, this mix is all about dynamics and immersion. The rear speakers rarely rest, populating the quietest scenes with the ambient hum of insects in the wind-swept forest."

Please let me know and keep up the good work with your portal ! I am also interested if other have seen a similar behaviour or their setup simply works as expected. Either way, I would appreciate your response.

Regards,

Nikonowski
post #8 of 22 Old 03-03-2008, 10:52 AM

I just bought this receiver and am very happy with my purchase so far.

I also own a PS3, and was also disappointed with the lack of DTS-MA (PS3 problem, not Pioneer).

I'm noticing that the volume is very low. I have to set the volume at -16 to -30 when watching movies. Is that normal?
post #9 of 22 Old 03-05-2008, 09:13 PM

I have also got this receiver, it is a good receiver, however it doesn't upconvert i.e. 480i to 1080p, other than that it is a receiver with a mind of its own, the remote hand unit is very confusing, though it doesn't compare to my previous Harman Kardon unit which was a high current receiver.
Ofcourse the Pioneer VSX-9120TXH is more up to date receiver, in a given time I will get used to it I suppose. I am using the Bose Accoustimass active woofer as well as 7, Bose 191 Virtually Invisible speakers that are installed in the wall. I am happy with the sound and yes when I am alone in the house, I 'd crank up my Volume so that it is -6db
post #10 of 22 Old 03-19-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stand_1998 View Post

I just bought this receiver and am very happy with my purchase so far.

I also own a PS3, and was also disappointed with the lack of DTS-MA (PS3 problem, not Pioneer).

I'm noticing that the volume is very low. I have to set the volume at -16 to -30 when watching movies. Is that normal?

Yes that is normal volume level. On the PS3 you can hit the options button and boost the volume output if you want.
post #11 of 22 Old 03-19-2008, 12:06 PM

Optical bitstream this is what you get:

DTS = DTS 758 kbps
DTSHD-MA = DTS core 1.5 kbps
DD = DD 448/640 kbps
TRUHD = DD Hidden track 640 kbps
2.0 - 7.1PCM = 2.0 PCM

PLUS ANY POST PROCESSING YOU HAVE THE RECEIVER DO.

2.0 PCM over optical sounds louder but not nesscessarily better.

NOTE: When watching BD the default track could be anything, so always check & set it before playing.
NOTE: Optical is ALWAYS from the PS3 to Receiver. Not TV to receiver

RECEIVER CONNECTION:
>>>>OPTICAL = BITSTREAM ON PS3 PCM = 2.0 TRUHD NOT POSSIBLE.

>>>>HDMI = BITSTREAM ON PS3 WILL SEND ALL (EXCECPT TRUHD)
AND LET MOST RECEIVERS DO POST PROCESSING.

>>>>HDMI = PCM ON PS3 ONLY NEEDED FOR TRUHD (AND DTSHD-MA
WHEN AVAILABLE)

General reference, and you can sub (player) for any PS3 reference.
I love my Receiver.
post #12 of 22 Old 03-22-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonowski View Post

My reciever is Pioneer VSX-9120TXH-k which is equivalent of the Pioneer VSX-91TXH US model ( I am based in Canada)

I couldn't find this model on the Pioneer site but comparing just the image with the VSX-91TXH-K model leads me to believe that they are not the same though maybe one of the actual VSX-9120TXH-K owners could confirm. If the image on the FS and BB site is acurate this does not look like the Elite model
post #13 of 22 Old 03-23-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakfreak View Post

I couldn't find this model on the Pioneer site but comparing just the image with the VSX-91TXH-K model leads me to believe that they are not the same though maybe one of the actual VSX-9120TXH-K owners could confirm. If the image on the FS and BB site is acurate this does not look like the Elite model

Same specs. different faceplate. Find it on Pioneer Canada site and BB, Futureshop.
post #14 of 22 Old 04-19-2008, 01:37 AM

Reply to Nikonowski... I used the same Update on my Samsung BD-UP5000 Duo Player, and IF you don't have ALL 7.1 speakers hooked up - "Quote" - (I have to mention that I have not hooked up 2 back surround speakers as of yet) - "Unquote", - then of course only 5.1 channels will Output. It may show " initially " that 7.1 are being " de-coded " but not ALL can be output. And be aware that a number of DTS MA Lossless Soundtracks are listed as ONLY 5.1 soundtracks. To de-code ALL , ALL ( 7.1 ) must be hooked up for any 7.1 soundtrack. Needless to say, DTS MA , Uncompressed 5 or 7.1 LCPM, are IMHO far superior to almost ALL other " Dolby " options. With the new firmware update, enjoy along with 1080P , the BEST Audio options a Man could Want in your own Home !

w00t !!

Jericho
post #15 of 22 Old 04-30-2008, 06:09 PM

I'm thinking to buy this one, is there any known issue with this model?

Regarding the HDMI video pass through, does it support deep color, BTB, WTW, xvColor etc.?

TIA
post #16 of 22 Old 05-15-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho Taylor View Post

Reply to Nikonowski... I used the same Update on my Samsung BD-UP5000 Duo Player, and IF you don't have ALL 7.1 speakers hooked up - "Quote" - (I have to mention that I have not hooked up 2 back surround speakers as of yet) - "Unquote", - then of course only 5.1 channels will Output. It may show " initially " that 7.1 are being " de-coded " but not ALL can be output. And be aware that a number of DTS MA Lossless Soundtracks are listed as ONLY 5.1 soundtracks. To de-code ALL , ALL ( 7.1 ) must be hooked up for any 7.1 soundtrack. Needless to say, DTS MA , Uncompressed 5 or 7.1 LCPM, are IMHO far superior to almost ALL other " Dolby " options. With the new firmware update, enjoy along with 1080P , the BEST Audio options a Man could Want in your own Home !

w00t !!

Jericho, what firmware are you referring to? for this receiver or sammy duo player?

I have all 7.1 speakers hooked up, still having the same issue as Nikonowski, not sure if it's my LG BH200 player...
post #17 of 22 Old 05-25-2008, 10:31 AM

I just recently purchased a 9120TXH amplifier and am having a slight issue that may drive me to return the product if I cannot find a solution. I tried contacting pioneer through their website but the canadian support section is 404 - page cannot be found.

Everything works fine in the amp.. all surround modes for blueray, dvd etc work perfect.

However... How the %$^# can a person use simple two channel stereo sources with the sub to fill the sound in? The salesman at futureshop told me to plug either coax, optical or analogue from any standard dvd player into the "cd" inputs and it will automatically asign the subwoofer to fill in for two channel audio. This however is not the case as it is with my old 5.1 Kenwood amp.

This really bites because the thing sounds so weak and empty compared to my old school surround amp for playing music. I tried using stereo expanded mode but it sounds like garbage compared to what a two channel track should. No definition, subwoofer overpowered by the rears and center trying to fill in. I bought this amp so I could enjoy Bluray True-HD and get a better stereo music power output. I don't think it's worth the money if I can't enjoy music.

Is there a way that I can run two channel audio cd sources with the sub just to fill in with NO surround modes enabled?

Thanks for anyone's reply.
post #18 of 22 Old 05-25-2008, 11:03 AM

ok nevermind haha.

Figured it out on another forum. Go figure I would find the info after I gave up and posted for help lol

Turn your sub setting to "plus" or set all your speakers to "small". I chose plus instead to get more thump to my two front L and R speakers in adition to activating the subwoofer.

Happy amping..
post #19 of 22 Old 11-24-2009, 05:32 PM

I have tried three different iPods with the VSX-9120THX-K
Classic Gen5, Gen6 and a Nano Gen3

With the Gen 6 and the Nano, after the Loading....., the song title will flash on the receiver display. On the TV, the song is listed as well as it looks like the pause button is activated. None of the receiver remote buttons work for the iPod,,,but all other buttons are functional (I can change to CD or BluRay and work discs as an example)

With the Gen 5, the up/down arrow icon and "Playlist" is on the receiver display. The TV shows the iPod options..... but again, none of the receiver remote buttons work for the ipod.

Unplugging the iPod and the song in the queue has not been playing.

The manual says that the iPod controls will not work on the iPod when connected and that the word Pioneer will be displayed on the iPod. This is the case with all three.

The manual also gave a Gen3 as the earliest usuable iPod version and all are past this date. All iPods have latest software loaded and the receiver was also updated at install. Company that sold me and installed this system is out of business and is of obvious no help.

Maybe you can tell me what I am doing wrong?
post #20 of 22 Old 09-01-2011, 09:32 AM

Hey Mark thanks for the info on Pioneer doing the update on the DTS problem.
(Rango- Bluray.com) Had my vsx-9120/91TXH updated for free; listened to Rango again twice with no bombs. Old version firmware 1.006 to new 1.012.
post #21 of 22 Old 09-01-2011, 11:43 AM

Vsx-90txh no update available

vsx-91txh/vsx-9120txh old 1.006 new 1.012

vsx-9130txh old 1.004 new n/a

vsx-9140txh old 1.052 new n/a

vsx-92txh & 94txh old ? New 1.005

Go to Pioneer Canada or USA website. Find out which is your closest repair depot. You need to have your original receipt or ask Pioneer to send you an authorization letter to get your receiver updated at that facility. Pioneer will pay for the firmware update even if it is out of warranty.Take a copy of your receipt or letter and take it or send it to that facility. It should be done hassle free.
Kelly

Firmware above is how Pioneer lists them for the full version file update.
Add to the info if you have any.
post #22 of 22 Old 09-01-2012, 10:33 AM

New firmware available v1.013 for you DIY's
http://www.pioneerfaq.info/click/click.php?id=546
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page