Denon 3808CI Users: Thoughts On This Telnet Control Software I Wrote (Command3808)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 437 Old 12-03-2007, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Version History:

- 02/05/2010, v0.0.5.11
- 03/03/2009, v0.0.5.0
- 02/19/2009, v0.0.4.22
- 01/05/2009, v0.0.4.11
- 01/04/2009, v0.0.4.0
- 02/28/2008, v0.0.3.44 unofficial release
- 01/01/2008, v0.0.3.33 (?) unofficial release
- 12/27/2007, v0.0.3.1
- 12/26/2007, v0.0.3.0
- 12/25/2007, v0.0.2.171
- 12/24/2007, v0.0.2.170
- 12/24/2007, v0.0.2.169
- 12/09/2007, v0.0.1.169
- 12/03/2007, v0.0.0.169

Change history:

http://www.nicetaco.com/Command3808/Current/ReadMe.html

-----

Hello fellow Denon AVR-3808CI users.

You can go to http://www.nicetaco.com/Command3808/ to download the following files:

- Command3808vNNN.zip
- Command3808vNNNInstaller.zip
- Command3808vNNNSource.zip

See the ReadMe.html at the above location to learn the difference between each file.

Connection speed may be slow. Be patient.

One of the reasons I bought the 3808CI was because of all of its networking functionality. I knew it had a web server in it, but I especially liked the fact that it could be controlled via telnet and that Denon had an openly published spec for the control set.

So I set out to build a Windows-based application that would allow me to interact with the 3808CI.

Command3808 is the result.

The "no install" version of the program is included in the Command3808vNNN.zip file. This program is free to use for non-commercial use. The source code for the program is included in the Command3808vNNNSource.zip file. The source code might serve as the basis for your own program, or you may wish to help improve Command3808. The source code is free to use for non-commercial use provided you cite Command3808 as the source. Command3808vNNNInstaller.zip is a ClickOnce installer to help you install Command3808 if you prefer that over the "no install" version. See the ReadMe.html at the above location to learn the difference between each file.

Here's a quick FAQ:

Q. What does Command3808 do?

- It let's you send commands to your Denon 3808CI through the pre-configured controls, manual command entry, and through use of scripts that can be scheduled or run manually.
- It let's you receive status updates from your Denon 3808CI.
- Reports also seem to suggest it works with the 4308CI and various other Denon models as well, but since I don't have those other models my focus in aimed at the 3808. If you want to target other models, why not join the programming effort?

Q. What commands can be sent?

- Power On / Off
- Master Volume
- Mute
- Source Selection
- Channel Level
- Video Select
- Record Out Select
- Audio Input Mode
- Digital Audio Mode
- Surround Processing Mode
- Surround parameters: Cinema EQ, AFDM, LFE, D.Comp, DRC, Surround Mode, Surround Back Mode, DSP Panorama, DSP Dimension, DSP Center Width, DSP Center Image, DSP Effect, DSP Effect Level, DSP Delay, DSP Room Size, Subwoofer Attenuation (EXT. IN), Subwoofer On / Off (Direct / Stereo)
- Video parameters: Resolution, Aspect Ratio, Contrast, Brightness, Chroma, Hue, Audio Delay
- Other parameters: Tone Defeat, Bass, Treble, Restorer Mode, Night Mode, Room EQ
- Tuner control: Change station (AM & FM) directly (by frequency), use tuner preset, define tuner preset
- Zone 2 control: Power, volume, source, channel level, bass, treble, channel setting (stereo / mono), HPF
- Zone 3 control: Power, volume, source, channel level, bass, treble, channel setting (stereo / mono), HPF
- Menu Controls (GUI On / Off, Cursor Up / Down / Left / Right, Enter, Return)
- NET Controls (Shuttle controls, navigation, display)
- iPod Controls (Shuttle controls, navigation, display)
- Panel Lock / Remote Lock

Q. Can other commands be sent?

- There is a function that allows you to manually send any valid command to the Denon and view the response from the Denon.

Q. Will other commands be added in the future?

- Yes. I intend to implement the entire control set.

Q. What major commands are missing?

- XM Control - currently not intending to implement anytime soon since I don't have an XM receiver or account.
- A few commands for NET and iPod control (like shuffle and repeat)

Q. Does the command set have any missing features or bugs?

- SVSOURCE and SRSOURCE commands, though documented, do not appear to work.

- Most commands appears to work, but the documentation from Denon is not always accurate

- There could be others.

Q. Does Command3808 use my custom source names? In other words, if I changed the source name of "DVR" to "Tivo Series 3" will "Tivo Series 3" show up in Command3808?

- Yes. As of version 0.0.2.169, all source names will reflect your custom names. In addition, "deleted" sources will not appear in any of the source lists.

Q. If I make a change to a setting at the receiver directly or through the remote control, will the change be reflected in Command3808?

- Yes! As long as Command3808 is running and connected to the receiver, Command3808 will receive and process all events as they occur and reflect those changed in Command3808 user interface.

Q. How quickly will changes made at the receiver be reflected in Command3808?

- This depends on a few things, but generally in under a second - but more likely < 100ms

Q. Can I see the command being sent to and received from the Denon?

- Yes. The 'Debug' tab shows every command sent and received by Command3808.

Q. Will it work with any other Denon models, say the 4308CI? How about European or other non-US versions?

- Some people have reported that it does work for other models / countries. I would imagine that for many commands it might. But since I only have a US-version of the 3808CI, I can't really test. Where bugs are reported to me I will try to fix them if possible.

Q. Are there any bugs?

- Oh, I bet there are!

Q. What language is Command3808 written in?

- VB.NET. I choose VB.NET because I felt that more people would be familar with a "BASIC" language that most others.

Q. What are the system requirements?

- Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista (Windows Vista may require you to run the program as an 'Administrator' if you have User Account Control (UAC) enabled (which is the default for Vista).
- Microsoft .NET Framework v2.0.
- Starting with v0.0.4.0, Microsoft SQL Server Compact Editon 3.5 SP1 is required. The zip file with the software should contain the appropriate files for 32 bit versions of Windows and you should not need to install SQLCE. But there seems to be some problems in certain cases with the "no install" version of SQLCE. If you run into problems with the app from the start and can't seem to get anything done, please try downloadng and intstalling SQLCE from Microsoft. It is free and it is a very small download. You can get it at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en . As of v0.0.4.11, I believe this issue has been corrected and the download should no longer be required unless you are using 64 bit windows. See the ReadMe.html at the above location for more info.

Q. Will it work with 64 bit versions of Windows?

- Versions prior to 0.0.4.0 were reported to have worked with 64 bit versions of Windows.
- Version 0.0.4.0 and beyond use Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition (SQLCE). The program includes the 32 bit binaries in the zip file. If these don't work for you, you may try to download the 64 bit version from Microsoft. It is free.

Q. How do I run the program?

- Unzip Command3808vNNN.zip
- Move the files into an empty directory - this is important.
- Run Command3808.exe

Q. Do I need to install the program prior to running it?

- Nope. Running Command3808.exe starts the program directly. There is nothing to install.
- As of version 0.0.4.0, the program now uses Microsoft SQL Compact Edition (SQLCE) for certain functions. SQLCE is included with the program, but does should not require an install.
- As of version 0.0.5.0, an installer is available if you wish to use it, but it is not required.

Q. Does this program have spyware or viruses?

- Nope. But I strongly suggest that you run your spyware scanner / virus scanner on it anyway. This is simply best practice.

Q. Any other things I need to be aware of?

- Certain commands are only valid in certain situations. For example, if you aren't listening to a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack then the DRC surround parameter is not valid. If you send a command to the Denon that is not valid for the current situation, the Denon simply ignores the command and provides no response. This may cause a command to remain "red" as Command3808 never receives the response it is expecting. As of version 0.0.4.0, "red" commands are eliminated once a response hasn't been received in five seconds. This is also logged to the Debug tab. In the future, we hope to add the ability to "lock" commands that are not valid for the current situation.

- After your enter your IP address you need to click the 'Save' button.

- Prior to v0.0.4.0, the program saves your settings for you (IP Address, etc.), but the settings are saved based on where you run the program from. So if you run it from C:\\ and then move it to C:\\Program Files, your settings will be lost. THIS IS NO LONGER THE CASE IN v0.0.4.0 and after as settings are now stored in SQLCE.

Q. Where can I ask questions or provide comments / suggetions?

- I suppose this thread will be okay.

- Note that the debug window will contain details of any errors or exceptions. If you have a problem, it might be helpful to copy / paste that information here for review.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks,
SpankyInChicago

Command3808 is free software (with source code) that lets you control your Denon 3808CI and 4308CI via the telnet protocol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 437 Old 12-03-2007, 02:51 PM

Liked: 28
Is there any reason why this wouldn't work with the 4808ci?

post #3 of 437 Old 12-03-2007, 03:58 PM

Very nice spanky. Basic function looks to be working well. I look forward to future releases ( NET/USB support ).
post #4 of 437 Old 12-03-2007, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentiman View Post

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work with the 4808ci?

I would assume that some of the commands would work, perhaps most.

There really wouldn't be any harm in trying it.

But, since I don't have a 4808ci I have not tested it.

Try it out and let us know.

Command3808 is free software (with source code) that lets you control your Denon 3808CI and 4308CI via the telnet protocol.
post #5 of 437 Old 12-03-2007, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoBoy58 View Post

Very nice spanky. Basic function looks to be working well. I look forward to future releases ( NET/USB support ).

Thanks.

The interface is actually fairly easy to implement. So I suspect I will make pretty quick progress.

The most complex thing will probably be figuring out the surround mode stuff, what options are available for what source, bitstream type, etc.

post #6 of 437 Old 12-03-2007, 05:11 PM

Very cool! I have a 4308 on the way and should be able to play with this sometime over the weekend. Right now I have Saturday planed for the "big" tear down and upgrade project. Once I have it setup and working this will be the next thing I’ll play with.
post #7 of 437 Old 12-03-2007, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.womble View Post

Very cool! I have a 4308 on the way and should be able to play with this sometime over the weekend. Right now I have Saturday planed for the "big" tear down and upgrade project. Once I have it setup and working this will be the next thing I'll play with.

Hopefully it will work. I've only tried it on the 3808.

I will be interested to get your feedback.

post #8 of 437 Old 12-03-2007, 11:50 PM

wow,
that is great
One question is it possible to add a command to see tha actual firmware on the 3808 ?
Many thanks
g_flash
post #9 of 437 Old 12-04-2007, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_flash View Post

wow,
One question is it possible to add a command to see tha actual firmware on the 3808 ?

Yeah - this would be GREAT
(It's always uncertain if one manages to get the firmware version visible when trying to do so.)

Criticism is just optimism looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. -
Yin26 (http://apolyton.net/forums/)
post #10 of 437 Old 12-04-2007, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_flash View Post

wow,
that is great
Many thanks
g_flash

That would be a great feature. Unfortunately, the published Denon spec does not provide any manner of doing this.

However, it has crossed my mind that this unit does have a special mode that can be enabled by custom installers. I heard that some guys have taken special Denon training on this. It makes me wonder if there are "hidden" commands.

Anyway, I'll keep it in mind. When I have the whole spec implemented, I'll start investigating whether or not such hidden features exist.

post #11 of 437 Old 12-04-2007, 06:30 AM

great, many thanks
post #12 of 437 Old 12-04-2007, 06:41 AM

Hi Spanky, very nice and thanks. With the latest FW update of main=1.60 (Aus Model), I notice that now when the 3808 is set to standyby, the net interface shuts down (light on router goes out). This did not happen on the previous FW 1.05. Is this the case with the US FW versions?

Reason I ask is that now I cannot turn the 3808 on from the PC anymore, likewise from your nifty program.
post #13 of 437 Old 12-04-2007, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c22600 View Post

Hi Spanky, very nice and thanks. With the latest FW update of main=1.60 (Aus Model), I notice that now when the 3808 is set to standyby, the net interface shuts down (light on router goes out). This did not happen on the previous FW 1.05. Is this the case with the US FW versions?

Reason I ask is that now I cannot turn the 3808 on from the PC anymore, likewise from your nifty program.

My US AVR has the latest FW and I was able to turn off/on with no problems using CMD3808.
post #14 of 437 Old 12-04-2007, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c22600 View Post

I believe there is a setting in the GUI at:

Manual Setup --> Network Setup --> Other --> Power Saver (or something similar).

This need to be set to "off." Check that setting and see what it says. It's possible that the new firmware update changed it.

post #15 of 437 Old 12-04-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpankyInChicago View Post

Manual Setup --> Network Setup --> Other --> Power Saver (or something similar).

This need to be set to "off." Check that setting and see what it says. It's possible that the new firmware update changed it.

Tks, hit the nail on the head. Would have defaulted to ON when I reset the AVR prior to the update.
post #16 of 437 Old 12-04-2007, 09:11 PM

Good news Spanky. I got my 4308 today. All I've done with it so far is update the firmware with nothing but a network cable attached. Once that was done I tried your program and it works!! I can turn it on and off and change the inputs with no problem. So to answer the question if this will work on the 4308 the answer is a big yes!
post #17 of 437 Old 12-05-2007, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Good news Spanky. I got my 4308 today. All I've done with it so far is update the firmware with nothing but a network cable attached. Once that was done I tried your program and it works!! I can turn it on and off and change the inputs with no problem. So to answer the question if this will work on the 4308 the answer is a big yes!

Cool. Thanks for the info.

post #18 of 437 Old 12-05-2007, 04:12 PM

This is very cool. Could you add Zone 2 support?
post #19 of 437 Old 12-05-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:

Spanky. Sounds like you need to rename the program now. DenonCTL ???
post #20 of 437 Old 12-06-2007, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkoflea View Post

This is very cool. Could you add Zone 2 support?

Should be in the release this weekend. I added zone 2 & zone 3 power yesterday. But need to get the other controls.

The surround modes are a real bear to figure out. Wanted to get those done this weekend, but not sure that will happen.

post #21 of 437 Old 12-06-2007, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoBoy58 View Post

Spanky. Sounds like you need to rename the program now. DenonCTL ???

I was thinking the same thing, but since I don't have any thing other than the 3808 it might be hard to me to be sure it all actually works on other units.

Maybe if a few more people start to use it with other units, people might volunteer to do some more thorough testing.

post #22 of 437 Old 12-09-2007, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

New version released.

-----
12/3/2007, v0.0.0.169:

- Initial release

---

-----
12/9/2007, v0.0.1.169:

- Implemented various "parameter" settings.
- Added zone support for both zone 2 and zone 3
- Modified UI layout a bit.
- Added status box that shows last control updated / update time
- Improved IP address handling. Also moved the IP address field to the Settings tab.
- Changed default behavior so the program does not query the Denon when the program starts unless the option is specifically set on the Settings tab.
- Added a Query menu to force a query of all settings or a subset of settings
- Added a UI cue that changes the text of an option to red when a value change has been initiated. When the Denon acknowledges the change, the text returns back to its default color. If the value does not change back to the default color and remains red it indicates that the Denon did not acknowledge the change. You can try resending the command or force a query to rectify the problem.

---

post #23 of 437 Old 12-09-2007, 11:13 PM

wow, I can only say again wow
post #24 of 437 Old 12-10-2007, 12:16 AM

It looks very good, but the only command I can perform more then once is the mute button and the query.
e.g. Once I changed the source I'm not able to chance it again.
Also the volume doesn't react on -1dB, -3dB, ... (only mute on en off)
Changing volume sends the following commands:
2007-12-10 09:16:04.616 - SEND: MV43,0
2007-12-10 09:16:15.570 - SEND: MV44,0
2007-12-10 09:16:16.203 - SEND: MV45,0
2007-12-10 09:16:16.834 - SEND: MV46,0
2007-12-10 09:16:17.574 - SEND: MV47,0
2007-12-10 09:16:18.314 - SEND: MV48,0
2007-12-10 09:16:18.951 - SEND: MV49,0
2007-12-10 09:16:19.691 - SEND: MV50,0
2007-12-10 09:16:51.384 - SEND: MV49,0
2007-12-10 09:16:52.125 - SEND: MV48,0
2007-12-10 09:16:52.439 - SEND: MV47,0
2007-12-10 09:16:52.750 - SEND: MV46,0
2007-12-10 09:16:53.060 - SEND: MV45,0
2007-12-10 09:16:53.369 - SEND: MV44,0
2007-12-10 09:16:53.679 - SEND: MV43,0
2007-12-10 09:16:54.096 - SEND: MV42,0
2007-12-10 09:16:54.626 - SEND: MV41,0
2007-12-10 09:16:55.258 - SEND: MV40,0

When I approach my receiver via Internet Explorer everything works.

I also wonder how you put the receiver on by remote ? Is this some kind of WOL ? When my receiver is in standby I can't put it on via web/your application (perhaps this is only possible with the latest firmware which I don't have).

Best regards,
Pete
post #25 of 437 Old 12-10-2007, 07:56 AM

Hi spie2,
when the power save is on, then it is not possible to wake upe the Denon from standby.
Best regards,
g_flash
post #26 of 437 Old 12-10-2007, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spie2 View Post

It looks very good, but the only command I can perform more then once is the mute button and the query.
e.g. Once I changed the source I'm not able to chance it again.
Also the volume doesn't react on -1dB, -3dB, ... (only mute on en off)
Changing volume sends the following commands:
2007-12-10 09:16:04.616 - SEND: MV43,0
2007-12-10 09:16:15.570 - SEND: MV44,0
2007-12-10 09:16:16.203 - SEND: MV45,0
2007-12-10 09:16:16.834 - SEND: MV46,0
2007-12-10 09:16:17.574 - SEND: MV47,0
2007-12-10 09:16:18.314 - SEND: MV48,0
2007-12-10 09:16:18.951 - SEND: MV49,0
2007-12-10 09:16:19.691 - SEND: MV50,0
2007-12-10 09:16:51.384 - SEND: MV49,0
2007-12-10 09:16:52.125 - SEND: MV48,0
2007-12-10 09:16:52.439 - SEND: MV47,0
2007-12-10 09:16:52.750 - SEND: MV46,0
2007-12-10 09:16:53.060 - SEND: MV45,0
2007-12-10 09:16:53.369 - SEND: MV44,0
2007-12-10 09:16:53.679 - SEND: MV43,0
2007-12-10 09:16:54.096 - SEND: MV42,0
2007-12-10 09:16:54.626 - SEND: MV41,0
2007-12-10 09:16:55.258 - SEND: MV40,0

When I approach my receiver via Internet Explorer everything works.

I also wonder how you put the receiver on by remote ? Is this some kind of WOL ? When my receiver is in standby I can't put it on via web/your application (perhaps this is only possible with the latest firmware which I don't have).

Best regards,
Pete

Hmmmm. I see you are from Belgium. I suspect this problem has something to do with your Windows culture settings stating that the fractional portion of a decimal number is separated by commas (,) as opposed to periods (.) like we do in the US.

I represent a volume like 44 as 44.0. But the Denon just wants 44, so I trim off the .0 using a string replace function. But a cast of a decimal to a string with your cultural settings will result in 44,0 instead of 44.0, so the string replace fails.

I'll fix this in the next release.

As for turning the receiver on while it is in standby, you need to make sure that you have the power saver feature off.

This need to be set to "off." Check that setting and see what it says.

post #27 of 437 Old 12-10-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpankyInChicago View Post

Hmmmm. I see you are from Belgium. I suspect this problem has something to do with your Windows culture settings stating that the fractional portion of a decimal number is separated by commas (,) as opposed to periods (.) like we do in the US.

I represent a volume like 44 as 44.0. But the Denon just wants 44, so I trim off the .0 using a string replace function. But a cast of a decimal to a string with your cultural settings will result in 44,0 instead of 44.0, so the string replace fails.

I'll fix this in the next release.

As for turning the receiver on while it is in standby, you need to make sure that you have the power saver feature off.

This need to be set to "off." Check that setting and see what it says.

Indeed, I just changed "," to "." in my regional settings and the volume works fine. Also, setting the Power Saver to off did the truck...now I can power on my Denon via Web/Command3808.

The only thing that doesn't work is changing to tuner
=> log returns only
2007-12-10 10:10:34.141 - SEND: SITuner
no RECV: ...

Other sources work just fine: cd, phone, dvd, hdp, ...
=> e.g. source dvd gives me
2007-12-10 10:09:09.455 - SEND: SIDVD
2007-12-10 10:09:13.564 - RECV: SIDVD
2007-12-10 10:09:13.567 - RECV: MSDOLBY PL2 C
2007-12-10 10:09:13.570 - RECV: SDAUTO
2007-12-10 10:09:13.574 - RECV: SVSOURCE
2007-12-10 10:09:13.577 - RECV: DCAUTO
2007-12-10 10:09:13.580 - RECV: CVFL 53
2007-12-10 10:09:13.585 - RECV: CVFR 505
2007-12-10 10:09:13.590 - RECV: CVC 52
2007-12-10 10:09:13.594 - RECV: CVSW 43
2007-12-10 10:09:13.599 - RECV: CVSL 50
2007-12-10 10:09:13.604 - RECV: CVSR 51
2007-12-10 10:09:13.609 - RECV: CVSBL 50
2007-12-10 10:09:13.615 - RECV: CVSBR 50
2007-12-10 10:09:13.620 - RECV: CVSB 50
2007-12-10 10:09:13.626 - RECV: MVMAX 60
2007-12-10 10:09:13.632 - RECV: MSDOLBY PL2 C
2007-12-10 10:09:13.639 - RECV: MSDOLBY PL2 C

btw: love the program !!
post #28 of 437 Old 12-10-2007, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spie2 View Post

The only thing that doesn't work is changing to tuner
=> log returns only
2007-12-10 10:10:34.141 - SEND: SITuner
no RECV: ...

Other sources work just fine: cd, phone, dvd, hdp, ...

btw: love the program !!

Okay. This is a bug. Thanks. It should be SITUNER and also SIPHONO (not SIPhono). Will fix in next release.

Thanks for your help.

FYI: Posting the output of the debug screen is VERY helpful. Thanks!

post #29 of 437 Old 12-11-2007, 01:01 PM

Hi,

Would it be possible to controle your streaming music, like the web gui ?
I.e. go to the next song, show the title of the song, ....
post #30 of 437 Old 12-11-2007, 02:06 PM

Also is it possible to pull the custom names I have assigned versus the Denon default's. As an example I renamed the SAT to D*TV.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page