post #91 of 203 Old 12-27-2007, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by trxjwb View Post

Hello all, I just got a Ps3 for Christmas and I having problems getting a picture, I hooked the Ps3 up via Hdmi to my Onkyo 875 in the hdmi 3 spot and set the hdmi 3 spot to Game mode, I am getting sound though.

I looked in the Onkyo manual and it only mentions componet, s video , or rca jacks.

I have also always got pops through my speakers when powering on, when a dvd starts a menu etc.

Please help

I have a PS3 connected to an 875 with a Pioneer 5080. The PS3 is sending 1080p and it's passing through my 875 to my TV without problem. Try disabling 1080p on your PS3 and see if that works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 203 Old 12-27-2007, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

You're not supposed to have to make a lot of changes after running Audyssey, but sometimes a couple tweaks are in order. Audyssey will set you speakers to Full band if the -3 db is 80hZ or lower. In that case, you might want to change them from Full Band to somewhere between 60hZ and 80hZ.

Also make sure it didn't set your sub levels to something too extreme. See #7 on the first page of this thread.

Thanks kflex. Is there any way to do this without buying that meter from Radio Shack?

edit: Never mind I should have read the whole thing! Thanks
post #93 of 203 Old 12-27-2007, 04:50 PM
JVi
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trxjwb View Post

Hello all, I just got a Ps3 for Christmas and I having problems getting a picture, I hooked the Ps3 up via Hdmi to my Onkyo 875 in the hdmi 3 spot and set the hdmi 3 spot to Game mode, I am getting sound though.

I looked in the Onkyo manual and it only mentions componet, s video , or rca jacks.

I have also always got pops through my speakers when powering on, when a dvd starts a menu etc.

Please help

I have this setup and love it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post12594973
post #94 of 203 Old 12-28-2007, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice Thread!!!
post #95 of 203 Old 12-29-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

What are you using to output video from the 604 to your TV? If you're using HDMI, the 604 doesn't convert signals from a composite input to HDMI. You'd have to use composite, component or svideo out from the receiver to TV.

well since i am using hdmi to my tv, i think that is really dumb. is that the case with all of the onkyo receivers or just the 604? if i use the composite input and then run a composite cable to my tv (one of the other inputs), in addition to the hdmi, would that fix the problem for when i want to run a wii or ps2 through my receiver to the tv?
post #96 of 203 Old 12-30-2007, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
About # 4 - I had made sure that i wasnt touching adjacent speaker terminal but my bare wire was touching the rear panel- which also turned on the protection circuit- Which sucked. It took me awhile to figure out what was wrong as i didnt know touching the rear panel can "turn the protection circuit on also" and because of this i got a loud pop on my speakers and the circuit turns on (Which is normal i suppose).

Anyways this is the first time I am ever hooking up my video to HDMI and then my TV to the HDMI out, can tripping the protection circuit damage my TV or sources at all??

I dont think it can but i dont know everything about this stuff....

Thanks for any help
post #97 of 203 Old 01-03-2008, 04:43 AM

Do anyone know what the max watt output is with the 805?
post #98 of 203 Old 01-04-2008, 06:03 AM

Need some help with HDMI audio signal from my HD-A3 to my Onkyo TX-SR605. Just FYI, my speakers are setup for 5.1. When I play a Dolby Digital HD movie (Bourne Identity) I do not get a Dolby signal at my SR605 receiver, only PCM multichannel. However, if I connect an optical cable between the HD-A3 and my Onkyo it senses the dolby signal. I don't understand why I have to connect a seperate audio cable to process the dolby. Any ideas? Thanks!
post #99 of 203 Old 01-04-2008, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post

Need some help with HDMI audio signal from my HD-A3 to my Onkyo TX-SR605. Just FYI, my speakers are setup for 5.1. When I play a Dolby Digital HD movie (Bourne Identity) I do not get a Dolby signal at my SR605 receiver, only PCM multichannel. However, if I connect an optical cable between the HD-A3 and my Onkyo it senses the dolby signal. I don't understand why I have to connect a seperate audio cable to process the dolby. Any ideas? Thanks!

On the A3:
Digital HDMI Out set to Auto

On the 605:
HDMI Audio Out=Off
post #100 of 203 Old 01-08-2008, 11:53 AM

Hello out there. Need some simple set-up help for Onkyo TX-SR604 as part of a Onkyo 709 HTIB. I am connecting the 604 to a Sony 52W3000 LCD TV via HDMI. Attempting to install digital optical cable on the TV digtal optical output to the 604 digital optical input using 6 foot monoprice tolink digital digital optical cable - I could not get the optical cable connector to fit into either the TV nor 604 connector - - tried pressing pretty hard but did not want to break anything (yes - I believe they were aligned in the proper orientation) - - what am I doing wrong?? Thanks for the advice
post #101 of 203 Old 01-08-2008, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTCAMPER View Post

Hello out there. Need some simple set-up help for Onkyo TX-SR604 as part of a Onkyo 709 HTIB. I am connecting the 604 to a Sony 52W3000 LCD TV via HDMI. Attempting to install digital optical cable on the TV digtal optical output to the 604 digital optical input using 6 foot monoprice tolink digital digital optical cable - I could not get the optical cable connector to fit into either the TV nor 604 connector - - tried pressing pretty hard but did not want to break anything (yes - I believe they were aligned in the proper orientation) - - what am I doing wrong?? Thanks for the advice

Did remove the little plastic protector caps off the connectors on the optical cable?
post #102 of 203 Old 01-08-2008, 12:26 PM

kplex - this is embarrasing - but I did not know there were plastic protector caps - I just went out to my car, where the "cable that did not fit" is setting and removed the plastic protector cap - - Thanks for helping me. Since you are so helpful - can I ask another question - - I am using HDMI from DVD/CD player to 604 and HDMI from 604 to TV (plus composite video so I can see on-screen programming from 604). I have cable NTSC and some ATSC/QAM, into the tV, but no cable box. I assume that this digital audio cable (which you have so kindly made operable for me) is the way I can get quality audio from the TV (comcast cable) to the 604. Thank you so much
post #103 of 203 Old 01-08-2008, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTCAMPER View Post

kplex - this is embarrasing - but I did not know there were plastic protector caps - I just went out to my car, where the "cable that did not fit" is setting and removed the plastic protector cap - - Thanks for helping me. Since you are so helpful - can I ask another question - - I am using HDMI from DVD/CD player to 604 and HDMI from 604 to TV (plus composite video so I can see on-screen programming from 604). I have cable NTSC and some ATSC/QAM, into the tV, but no cable box. I assume that this digital audio cable (which you have so kindly made operable for me) is the way I can get quality audio from the TV (comcast cable) to the 604. Thank you so much

Don't be embarrased, I did the same thing the first time I tried to plug in an optical cable. I have an optical cable from my Pioneer TV to my receiver and when I select the Ant input on my TV, I get DD for HD channels and 2 channel PCM for analog channels. You should get something similar.
post #104 of 203 Old 01-08-2008, 01:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltefanden View Post

Do anyone know what the max watt output is with the 805?

Yes

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #105 of 203 Old 01-08-2008, 01:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
and if you're interested in what watts it outputs, you could check Onkyo's website, the AVS Forums 805 Owners' Thread, or

Product Review: Onkyo TX-SR805 THX Ultra2 7.1 A/V Receiver

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #106 of 203 Old 01-08-2008, 01:31 PM

Good stuff. There are many of us on this forum looking for a solution to #3. The problem is some sources only output digital or analog but not both at the same time, example being the PS3. I was hoping with the Onkyo 605 I could output via the pre-out into one of the analog source outs to get Zone 2 sound from my PS3. I understand I'd be limited to whatever the main source is playing but that's fine by me.

Do you know if this works or if there is a better work around?
post #107 of 203 Old 01-08-2008, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djroberts View Post

Good stuff. There are many of us on this forum looking for a solution to #3. The problem is some sources only output digital or analog but not both at the same time, example being the PS3. I was hoping with the Onkyo 605 I could output via the pre-out into one of the analog source outs to get Zone 2 sound from my PS3. I understand I'd be limited to whatever the main source is playing but that's fine by me.

Do you know if this works or if there is a better work around?

The 605 doesn't have pre-outs. If you move up to the 705 you could probably do that, but it would only be effective if you used the Stereo listening mode to downmix to 2 channel in the main zone.
post #108 of 203 Old 01-08-2008, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Thanks for all the good setup info, Kplex. I just bought the 805 and am about to undertake the setup...wish me luck.
post #109 of 203 Old 01-08-2008, 02:42 PM

My Yamaha RX-V1400 has pre-outs but it doesn't work even when set to stereo. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong but thanks for the advice. I'll start looking at the 705.
post #110 of 203 Old 01-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Im glad to see someone else forget to remove the plastic caps on the cable. I did the same thing the first time i used one. LOL

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
post #111 of 203 Old 01-09-2008, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

HA! I should've measured this thing before I bought it, it required some serious carpentry while the wife was away on business.

Anyway, I'd like to preface this question by saying that I have read the manual cover to cover but I'm coming from an ONkyo 603 so I thought I could just feel my way through...this thing is complex.

I've read through the top 10 list and I think my problem is more baisc even than any of that. First off, I have gone through the Audessey setup and everything seemed to work fine. My problem is, I can't get video out from the 805 to my TV via HDMI (and I tried an analogue connection for the setup screen to the side input on my TV). I have a PS3 connected via HDMI 2 (and I have the "game" input assigned to the correct HDMI port) and an HD-DVD player connected via HDMI 3 to the DVD input and it also is assigned to the correct HDMI port. I'm getting no video signal to my TV (though when I cycle through inputs it pauses on the input from the receiver and the screen flickers a little-it does this on my old DVD player when the player wasn't sending a strong enough signal). The setup of this thing is impossible to do in the menu system on the front of the receiver, its a way too complex menu structure for the 15 space display.

So, in short, can anyone tell me what turns the HDMI/out to "ON"? Is the setup screen supposed to display through HDMI or only analogue connection.
post #112 of 203 Old 01-09-2008, 07:59 AM
JVi
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

HA! I should've measured this thing before I bought it, it required some serious carpentry while the wife was away on business.

Anyway, I'd like to preface this question by saying that I have read the manual cover to cover but I'm coming from an ONkyo 603 so I thought I could just feel my way through...this thing is complex.

I've read through the top 10 list and I think my problem is more baisc even than any of that. First off, I have gone through the Audessey setup and everything seemed to work fine. My problem is, I can't get video out from the 805 to my TV via HDMI (and I tried an analogue connection for the setup screen to the side input on my TV). I have a PS3 connected via HDMI 2 (and I have the "game" input assigned to the correct HDMI port) and an HD-DVD player connected via HDMI 3 to the DVD input and it also is assigned to the correct HDMI port. I'm getting no video signal to my TV (though when I cycle through inputs it pauses on the input from the receiver and the screen flickers a little-it does this on my old DVD player when the player wasn't sending a strong enough signal). The setup of this thing is impossible to do in the menu system on the front of the receiver, its a way too complex menu structure for the 15 space display.

So, in short, can anyone tell me what turns the HDMI/out to "ON"? Is the setup screen supposed to display through HDMI or only analogue connection.

Look at page 80 of the owner's manual for an outline of the menus.
What you likely want is Menu 1. Input/Ouput Assign. Then 1.1 Monitor Out. Select that with the enter button (remote or panel) and choose HDMI Monitor -> YES.

Check out page 60 for the On Screen Display (OSD) setup. This is in menu 6.2 (Miscellanuous). I think you would want immediate display set to Yes.

My set up screen (OSD) shows up through HDMI. I have not tried it any other way.
post #113 of 203 Old 01-09-2008, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVi View Post

Look at page 80 of the owner's manual for an outline of the menus.
What you likely want is Menu 1. Input/Ouput Assign. Then 1.1 Monitor Out. Select that with the enter button (remote or panel) and choose HDMI Monitor -> YES.

Check out page 60 for the On Screen Display (OSD) setup. This is in menu 6.2 (Miscellanuous). I think you would want immediate display set to Yes.

My set up screen (OSD) shows up through HDMI. I have not tried it any other way.

Thanks, I think its a little sketchy that one has to enable HDMI in a complex menu before you can see the OSD to run the setup program...HDMI should automatically default to a setting that allows easy connection, IMHO.
post #114 of 203 Old 01-10-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

Thanks, I think its a little sketchy that one has to enable HDMI in a complex menu before you can see the OSD to run the setup program...HDMI should automatically default to a setting that allows easy connection, IMHO.

+1
post #115 of 203 Old 01-11-2008, 10:44 AM

I'm a newbie and new owner of Onkyo TX-SR605 and x-mtm, x-cs, x-subwoofer from AV123. First, I'll try to describe what happened to my previous/initial x-sub.
When I turned the sub (unhooked to Onkyo) red light switched to green; when I increased volume on the sub (still unhooked to my receiver) I heard increasing Uu-hh sound (now after a lot of AV123 forum reading I believe that the sub behaved abnormally). Then I bought a sub cable and hooked x-sub to SUB Pre OUT connector on Onkyo. Surprisingly, even when I turned off both Onkyo and the sub and then plugged the sub cable into Sub Pre out on Onkyo I clearly heard a sound of electric discharge. I turned on Onkyo and sub (now I think I should have not done that!), and the fuse on sub was burnt. I unhooked the sub from Onkyo, changed the fuse, turned it on - the fuse was burnt again.
Yesterday night I got a new sub amp plate and successfully replaced it. So now when I turn on the sub its red light turns on, and then it should switch to green upon incoming signal from my Onkyo. Is my understanding right? However green light never turns on. Moreover, when I go to Speaker Set Up on my receiver: sub - YES; crossover - 80 Hz; then upon Level Calibration I hear kind of P-sss-hh sound from all my 5 speakers. This sound is increasing when I increase volume on the receiver. But I hear NOTHING from my sub; when I increase volume or change crossover, or phase on the sub - still NOTHING. Should I hear the same kind of test sound from my sub?

So now I am worried very much - could my previous bad sub kill my Onkyo sub Pre Out connector? Or it's stupid suggestion given that other Onkyo functions seem to work. On the other hand I can't exclude another unfortunate possibility - an initial defect of Sub Pre out connector in my newly bought Onkyo. In this scenario, I have to hurry up to exchange my Onkyo. How can I check if Sub Pre out connector of my Onkyo functions properly independently on my uncertain x-sub?
Unfortunately, both Onkyo and X-sub are very new to me, before I've used Dn HTiB with unpowered sub with + & -connectors w/o any other regulators on it.
Any suggestions are highly appreciated.
Thanks
Alex
post #116 of 203 Old 01-12-2008, 05:26 PM

great post TX
54Dutch
post #117 of 203 Old 01-12-2008, 05:28 PM

TX kplex great post very helpfull
54Dutch
post #118 of 203 Old 01-13-2008, 01:18 AM

Question about setting the levels on the 605:
When setting your levels to the recommended 75mhz, where should your volume be turned at. Is there a recommended volume, or do you use your own listening volume?
post #119 of 203 Old 01-13-2008, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallow8 View Post

Question about setting the levels on the 605:
When setting your levels to the recommended 75mhz, where should your volume be turned at. Is there a recommended volume, or do you use your own listening volume?

The receiver disables the volume knob when playing test tones so it doesn't matter where it's set. The tones are played at a fixed level which is 30 dB below reference level (105 dB), so 75 dB (105 - 30) is the correct level. This is mentioned in the 805/875 and 905 manuals, but for some reason they left it out of the 605 and 705 manuals.
post #120 of 203 Old 01-13-2008, 05:10 PM

And another dumb question:
How do you access Audyssey in the 605? Do you have to have a mic plugged in? I'm trying to use my Analog meter from Radio shack and have no clue where the one is that came with the receiver.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr525 5 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr727 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr806 Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr505 Receiver , Onkyo Tx 8511 Stereo Receiver , Onkyo Stereo Receiver Tx 8011 Black , Onkyo Tx 8211 Stereo Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr606 Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr705 Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr605 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page