Top 10 Onkyo Receiver Setup Mistakes - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 203 Old 03-04-2008, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It was a DOA, and I received a replacement today; it does 1080p60 just fine!!! where the 805 only showed a 1080i60.

This is completely different from 805!!! picturewise at least.

But how do I check firmware version?

I have now connected my PS2 PAL through component cable and the amplifier displays nothing at all :-( the signal is 576p, the PS3 connected through HDMI works 100%
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 203 Old 06-16-2008, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mletzmann View Post

Hello, sorry to bother you.

I was doing some research about video problems with the Onkyo 805 and the PS3, and stumbled across your post in the Top 10 Onkyo Receiver Setup Mistakes thread and found that we have (or in your case hopefully, had) similar problems. I am unable to consistently receive a video signal from my PS3 to the 805, whereas all my other components, HDMI or component, function fine.

I was wondering if you ever found a fix for the problem, and if so, could you possibly point me in the direction of said fix? Thanks in advance for any help you may provide!

-Marc

I'm sorry but its been so long since I had the problems I don't remember specifically which problem you're referring to. I know its crucial that you have your HDMI Monitor set correctly...read the first few posts in this thread and note that when you do have the HDMI Monitor out set correctly for video passthrough that you will always have to power up your TV to get sound through the receiver (like you can't just turn on the PS3 and listen to a CD w/o turning on your TV). Also, be sure to correctly assign your HDMI inputs (and select HDMI as the medium under the correct receiver mode, Game, DVD, Cable/SAT, etc.) I renamed my Game button to Blu-ray/PS3 so I'd know when that was showing on the display I should be getting a PS3 picture on my TV. Also, be sure and give the receiver enough time (it should click a few times) when you change video passthrough modes (like from DVD to PS3), mine takes a full 2-3 seconds to reconfigure and reacquire a signal.

I'm going to repost all of this in the main thread, maybe someone else will benefit.

Hope this helps...
post #183 of 203 Old 06-25-2008, 11:44 AM

I have the TX-SR705 taking a signal from the DirecTV HR20-700 satellite receiver via HDMI, and feeding a Panasonic TH46PZ800U plasma, also thru HDMI. I have no external speakers attached, and want to use the TV speakers. The image is fine, but I get no sound from the TV. The sound is reaching the receiver, because I can hear it through headphones. What do you think is going on, and what do I need to do?
post #184 of 203 Old 06-25-2008, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly1948 View Post

I have the TX-SR705 taking a signal from the DirecTV HR20-700 satellite receiver via HDMI, and feeding a Panasonic TH46PZ800U plasma, also thru HDMI. I have no external speakers attached, and want to use the TV speakers. The image is fine, but I get no sound from the TV. The sound is reaching the receiver, because I can hear it through headphones. What do you think is going on, and what do I need to do?

Post 1, #1.
post #185 of 203 Old 06-25-2008, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry - I should have mentioned that I set the HDMI Monitor to YES, and I labelled the input HDMI connections, as per the manual. Can you think of anything else I might have missed? Anyone?
post #186 of 203 Old 06-25-2008, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly1948 View Post

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry - I should have mentioned that I set the HDMI Monitor to YES, and I labelled the input HDMI connections, as per the manual. Can you think of anything else I might have missed? Anyone?

You need to set HDMI Audio Out=YES, menu 7-5.
post #187 of 203 Old 06-25-2008, 02:43 PM

On second thought, I know I set the monitor to YES, but I may not have set the HDMI Audio to ON; I'll check when I get home, and let you know tomorrow. Either way, thanks again for this thread, everyone, and for your response, Pugnax555.
post #188 of 203 Old 06-25-2008, 02:45 PM

Thanks, Kplex. I'll check and confirm tomorrow; I don't want to leave a problem out there which isn't a problem.
post #189 of 203 Old 06-26-2008, 10:48 AM

You guys were exactly right - I hadn't set HDMI Audio Out =Yes. I did, and the sound flowed! Thanks, Pugnax555 and kplex. Maybe at some point I'll learn something to share. One thing I did determine, which may be common knowledge, is that when you are outputing your sound through the HDMI output, you can keep your headphones plugged in - they don't short out audio through HDMI.

Thanks again.
post #190 of 203 Old 01-01-2009, 06:12 PM

This thread may be old, but god bless it.

HDMI Audio OUT = NO, solved my hours of confusion on setting up my PS3 to play properly.
post #191 of 203 Old 01-01-2009, 07:39 PM

Anyone know what's going on? I got a Onkyo TX SR706. This is the second one I have because the first I had to replace because it was showing blue "snow" in areas of the monitor.

For some reason the HDMI input 1 isn't working. It worked properly for a day or two. For reference my PC is hooked up to HDMI 1 and my PS3 is hooked up to HDMI 2. Now when I boot up the computer, my monitor isn't getting a signal!!!!!!! The only way to get a signal is to switch to HDMI 2 (PS3), then boot up my PS3. I get a signal just fine from the PS3. Then I have to turn off the PS3, then switch back to HDMI 1 (PC) and walla my PC's signal comes through.
post #192 of 203 Old 06-19-2009, 09:00 AM

I have a very simple setup, Motorola HD DVR connected to Onkyo 607 via HDMI. I ran the Audessy Setup sucessfully.

Most channels sound great. However, certain programs, on certain channels, have very low "dialogue" type volume. Even if I increase the overall volume, it sounds terrible/distorted.

When the cable channel guide on the TV says "5.1" the sound always sounds great. When its missing, thats when the problem can occur (not always, and agian, one program on CBS HD might sound fine, and then when a new show starts, it can sound afwul).

Any ideas??
post #193 of 203 Old 08-19-2009, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I have an Onkyo HT-R330 in my bedroom and it works great except for one issue. It does the clicking described here:

'Not setting Listening Modes for 2 channel sources
This is mostly an issue for your cable TV input. If you don't set a listening mode for 2 channel sources, you'll occasionally hear loud relay clicks when a program goes to a commercial or when changing channels. When that happens while switching to a program or commercial with a 2 channel soundtrack, just press the Surr button or THX button on your remote to select a 5.1 or 7.1 surround mode. Your receiver should remember that Listening Mode and the clicks should go away. For cable boxes that always transmit Dolby Digital, you should only have to do this once for DD 2.0. For DirecTV receivers that can send DD 2.0 and also 2 channel PCM, you'll have to do it a couple times.'

The problem is that none of the 'fixes' seem to work for this particular theater in a box type setup. I push the Surround button on the remote repeatedly and nothing seems to change. I attempted to find the 'Last known' or 'direct' in the menu but am not able to find where it is. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #194 of 203 Old 08-19-2009, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm not familiar with an HT-330. Do you have a link to the user's manual?
post #195 of 203 Old 08-19-2009, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

I'm not familiar with an HT-330. Do you have a link to the user's manual?

HT-R330 and I can't seem to find a link to the user's manual. It's an older model that's probably why but it's not ages old. Might be time to Craig's List it and get the newer version. I need some HDMI anyway because I'm tired of running a switcher.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #196 of 203 Old 08-19-2009, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post

HT-R330 and I can't seem to find a link to the user's manual. It's an older model that's probably why but it's not ages old. Might be time to Craig's List it and get the newer version. I need some HDMI anyway because I'm tired of running a switcher.

I've got a user manual for it in PDF format. PM me an email address and I'll send it to you. Loved that receiver. Best sounding receiver I've had to date although featureless and with limited connection options which is why I sold it. BTW it's the receiver that came with the HTS-580 HTIB system.

The clicking is normal if that's what your concerned about between switching sources in between normal programming and commercials. It's the receiver searching for the different audio format.
post #197 of 203 Old 08-19-2009, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

I've got a user manual for it in PDF format. PM me an email address and I'll send it to you. Loved that receiver. Best sounding receiver I've had to date although featureless and with limited connection options which is why I sold it. BTW it's the receiver that came with the HTS-580 HTIB system.

The clicking is normal if that's what your concerned about between switching sources in between normal programming and commercials. It's the receiver searching for the different audio format.

The reasons I'm considering upgrading are:

The constant clicking. I've heard that other, newer Onkyo receivers can be set a couple of different ways to decrease or eliminate this all together. I use a quirky tuner that has questionable signal at times and it seems as though this receiver has a hard time with that and will even lose audio and sit and click non stop even when it's NOT switching to a 2ch mode. When he had a name-brand Comcast tuner it didn't do this but at the same time our other receivers seem to handle this better. Being in the master bedroom it's more annoying late at night when the wife is sleeping (even though it's in the closet) than it would be in say the living room.

Lack of HDMI. I have quite the spaghetti mess of wires and switches to make this thing work and have had a blast running countless wires through the walls to make everything work and I can't tell you how much easier a simple receiver w/HDMI out and a couple HDMI inputs would make my life.

Dynamic Volume and Audyssey time/amplitude correction. I would really like to take advantage of something like this as it would make the sound much better than it currently is. There are some channels that have absurdly loud commercials and I seem to watch all of these channels at night while my wife is trying to sleep. I can be watching ESPN at a reasonable volume and get up to use the can and mid stream I hear the walls shaking and someone screaming at my wife to wake up and order their boner pills. We all know I can't stop mid stream so I would really like to utilize the Dynamic Volume adjustment of the newer Onkyo receivers as this is the perfect application for it. Too much information?

Those are the primary reasons. Nothing against the sound of the receiver (other than the stuff just mentioned) as the system has performed very well for me and for the price I can't complain too much.

I'll PM you my email address though because who knows how long it will be before I do actually replace it and if I can fix a majority of the issues I'm having I may keep it longer. Hell, I just last week replaced my Sony Maximum Home Theater system I had in the basement which was 15yrs old and I swore about 10yrs ago I was going to upgrade everything so who knows...

Jer

post #198 of 203 Old 06-14-2011, 02:37 PM

Ok I am going to resurrect this thread. Anybody have any experience with definiteve tech BP-8040ST? I have a pair as my fronts and a CS-8060HD as my center and a pair of SR-8040BP as my surronds. I am driving them with a onkyo 706. Audyssey set the fronts as fullband i guess to get the most out of the powered subs. It also set the sub to -10 db, i have noticed that without dynamic eq on i don't have good good boominess, which is even more apparent with a THX mode selected (no dynamic mode option when using THX). Anybody have any thoughts? I have turned up the db for the sub, but it just doesn't sound right. WIth dynamic eq enabled it sounds amazing, I just want to be sure that I am doing it right. I will probably try mistake 7 but as i said with dynamic eq on everything sounds great.
post #199 of 203 Old 06-27-2011, 06:31 AM

my 509 played a blue ray last night first one all i could get for field was dts field sounded a little funny. thought i would get better sound some time a bullet would sound coming from the back to front speaker just as quick as it came it went away and sounded flat again.But the sound track music comes from all speakers and sounded fine just not special effects . Can someone help.Thanks
One disappointment no switched outlet on back for my sub ac.One more is it bad to leave my sub power on all the time that was the nice thing about having a switched outlet.
post #200 of 203 Old 06-25-2012, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What listening modes do i need to set in order to get HD audio on my fat ps3.

I normally use plx or thx to get 7.1 but thats not hd audio.

How do i let my input decide the audio?
post #201 of 203 Old 06-26-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceX View Post

What listening modes do i need to set in order to get HD audio on my fat ps3.
I normally use plx or thx to get 7.1 but thats not hd audio.
How do i let my input decide the audio?

Set output to PCM via HDMI.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #202 of 203 Old 06-26-2012, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
the THX or Plx will make the 5.1 HD audio 7.1 HD audio right?
post #203 of 203 Old 06-27-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 28
It will send info to the back speakers but keep in mind you need 7.1 discs for true 7.1 sound.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr525 5 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr727 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr806 Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr505 Receiver , Onkyo Tx 8511 Stereo Receiver , Onkyo Stereo Receiver Tx 8011 Black , Onkyo Tx 8211 Stereo Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr606 Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr705 Receiver , Onkyo Tx Sr605 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr605 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page