Best wireless bridge for the Denon 3808-CI? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-26-2007, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a Denon 3808-CI today and am looking for recommendations for a wireless bridge that works well with it. I have a D-Link DCM-202 wireless router, so the bridge would need to work with that, too. I'm not very familiar with the concept of "bridging." How easy is it to set up and configure? And how well does the 3808-CI operate once the bridge is installed? Are there many hiccups?

Thanks for any and all help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-29-2007, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Any recommendations?

Correction to previous post: my router is a D-Link DI-624.

I've been looking at the D-Link DAP-1555, which is kind of pricey, but supposedly will stream HD video and has 5 Ethernet inputs, so I could hook up more HT components to it. Any views on that?

Since I'm such a newbie when it comes to streaming and wireless HT connectivity, I really need some advice.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-30-2007, 07:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan View Post

I just purchased a Denon 3808-CI today and am looking for recommendations for a wireless bridge that works well with it. I have a D-Link DCM-202 wireless router, so the bridge would need to work with that, too. I'm not very familiar with the concept of "bridging." How easy is it to set up and configure? And how well does the 3808-CI operate once the bridge is installed? Are there many hiccups?

Thanks for any and all help!

Hello:

While I don't have your AVR, I have a Denon 4306.

I didn't connect the bridge to my Denon. Rather, I purchased this bridge:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=9743339789B07

And then I connected it to an 8 port switch:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=8881522279B10

With that setup I could use 1 bridge in my equipment area to connect my PS3, XBOX and Denon. It also gives me the option to connect my laptop to the switch and have a wired connection to all the equipment.

Works fine. I have the same setup in my HT room for the equipment there.

Good luck,
Splotto
post #4 of 9 Old 12-30-2007, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Splotto,

Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate the input.

However, I just want to clarify how everything is connected, so I'm sure I understand it. Are you connecting your Denon, PS3 and XBox to the 8-port switch -- as well as the bridge? And then the bridge -- via the switch -- services all three devices?

And the switch itself is not connected via cabling to a PC, because the bridge makes it wireless. Is that right?

And then the switch allows you also to connect your laptop, which, I assume, makes it easier to download firmware updates. (Is your laptop Internet connection wireless, too, or is it connected via cable to your router? My laptop connects to the Internet wirelessly, but if I'm understnading your post correctly, I'm assuming if I hook the laptop up to the switcher, the Internet connection would pretty much resemble a wired connection?)

Thanks for clarifying all this for me. I'm a bit more savvy when it comes to HT equipment than I am with computers.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-30-2007, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Splotto,

Would this product combine the two Linksys products that you are using?

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Duo-Hig...9039206&sr=1-1
post #6 of 9 Old 12-30-2007, 05:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Splotto,

Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate the input.

However, I just want to clarify how everything is connected, so I'm sure I understand it. Are you connecting your Denon, PS3 and XBox to the 8-port switch -- as well as the bridge? And then the bridge -- via the switch -- services all three devices?

And the switch itself is not connected via cabling to a PC, because the bridge makes it wireless. Is that right?

And then the switch allows you also to connect your laptop, which, I assume, makes it easier to download firmware updates. (Is your laptop Internet connection wireless, too, or is it connected via cable to your router? My laptop connects to the Internet wirelessly, but if I'm understnading your post correctly, I'm assuming if I hook the laptop up to the switcher, the Internet connection would pretty much resemble a wired connection?)

Thanks for clarifying all this for me. I'm a bit more savvy when it comes to HT equipment than I am with computers.

Hello:

You are correct. Everything is connected to the switch. The switch and the devices simply see the bridge at the connection. The bridge is wireless to my router.

It's ends up turning the switch into a local wired access point ultimately connected wirelessly.

I do plug my laptop into the switch when I need to along with any other Ethernet capable device I might need to use. The laptop then can either connect through the switch/bridge via a wire or with it's own wireless connection.

I have the same setup in my HT equipment area with my home server and HTPC on the switch as well with my HT devices.

I am happy to help. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Splotto
post #7 of 9 Old 12-30-2007, 05:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Splotto,

Would this product combine the two Linksys products that you are using?

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Duo-Hig...9039206&sr=1-1

Link isn't working but you are pointing to this:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=570

Looks like it does the same thing.

Splotto
post #8 of 9 Old 01-02-2008, 08:06 AM

For what it is worth, I use a Buffalo wireless router (I have bellsouth dsl and a twowire combo modem thingy) that I set up last summer for use with my directv hd-dvr hr20-700. So, I just plugged in my new denon to one of the other three available ports and was able to hear internet music and ultimately download the firmware update. I'm not sure that the buffalo firmware and such is still available (for a while it was up and down for some reason), however. If interested, here is the model number and you may wish to do a search of the avs forums to research first: WLI TX4-G54HP. (Buffalo Turbo G High Power Wireless Ethernet Converter WLI-TX4-G54HP).
post #9 of 9 Old 01-06-2008, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You could also use the Slingbox Turbo with 4 ports. I am using this with my Pioneer vsx-94txh and it works great. I also have the pioneer elite 1540pro hd plasma which has networking capabilities and this setup allows me to stream DVD's wirelessly from my laptop.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page