post #1 of 6 Old 12-29-2007, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Receiver: Yammy RX-V461
TV: Samsung LNS-3251D
DVD: Philips DVP-5982/37

DVD player is connected for video to the TV via HDMI.
Then have a digital coaxial cable running from the DVD player to receiver.

I have looked over the receiver, as well as DVD player. Even actually had the DVD player looked over while under warranty and it came back determined to be fine.
While watching DVDs (only DVDs), it intermittently cuts out for a brief second every few minutes, however gets worse as the movie continues to play... Completely lost for this, looking for some guidance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-29-2007, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Are you using original or recorded disc? Some players even though they specify the format have trouble reading recorded disc and it generally gets worse further into the movie.

Have you tried using the dvd player straight to the tv, bypassing the receiver just for trouble shooting? I know you said you sent it off and it was deemed ok but it still sounds like a problem with the player.

By hooking it up to the tv and watching a few movies (yeah I know with tv sound ewww) you'll know if the player is at fault.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-30-2007, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, brand new dvd straight out of the package.

When using the audio straight from the DVD player to the TV through the HDMI cable, the audio was perfectly fine. Switch it to use the receiver, and right away it starts dropping out.

Now have a new DVD player hooked up (brand new), old one was a DVP-5960, now using a DVP-5982 - Still the same issues.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-30-2007, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Philips DVP-5982 DVD player. Using a digital coaxial cable from the dvd player to receiver. This causes the issues. Yet if I turn the HDMI audio on - it disabled the digital audio, however the digital coaxial out still works. This does not cause the drop out issues. Any ideas as to why the dvd player, set on digital audio - causes drop outs?

**nevermind, still dropping out.
Arg
post #5 of 6 Old 12-30-2007, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Ladies and gentlemen. A friend seemed to have figured out the situation.
I had a shop fan plugged in across the room, and whenever I turned it on and off, the drop outs occurred.
Recently the girlfriend was put on oxygen. Realized they started happening as soon as she came home with it. We have it plugged in in our office next to the living room. Have concluded this has been causing the power surges. Question is, would just a power conditioner smooth this out for the entertainment center?

***edit***
Even with the Oxygen machine turned off, the receiver is still dropping out for some reason. Nothing has changed with it, just one day it was fine and the next it started dropping out. Really wish anyone with some insight would help me look into solving this. Would be greatly appreciated.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-31-2007, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, trying something out here. I have a digital fiber optic cable connected from the TV to the receiver. Since HDMI carries both the video and audio, it still has a high quality run. If it doesn't drop out with the fiber optic cable, then there has to be an issue between the digital coaxial out to the receivers in.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page