Avr Faq - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 408 Old 02-29-2008, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Before I do something stupid, like buying unneeded cables, I have a question. I had thought that HDMI connections from my STB to my new receiver to my TV would carry video AND audio. Since I don't get any audio, it appears that I also need audio connections. The receiver instructions seem to indicate that (not very clearly) and reading through the faq seems to indicate that some receivers might not handle audio through HDMI. Am I on the right track here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 408 Old 02-29-2008, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

Before I do something stupid, like buying unneeded cables, I have a question. I had thought that HDMI connections from my STB to my new receiver to my TV would carry video AND audio. Since I don't get any audio, it appears that I also need audio connections. The receiver instructions seem to indicate that (not very clearly) and reading through the faq seems to indicate that some receivers might not handle audio through HDMI. Am I on the right track here?

Correct, not all AVR's do audio over HDMI. But most recent receivers do. Your AVR manual should make it clear, one way or the other. It could also be HDMI settings in your STB, AVR, or tv.

Are you trying to get audio to your tv? Or audio to your surround speakers. If you are trying to get surround to your AVR speakers than you could simply hook up optical or digital coax from STB to your AVR.
post #33 of 408 Old 02-29-2008, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post

Correct, not all AVR's do audio over HDMI. But most recent receivers do. Your AVR manual should make it clear, one way or the other. It could also be HDMI settings in your STB, AVR, or tv.

Are you trying to get audio to your tv? Or audio to your surround speakers. If you are trying to get surround to your AVR speakers than you could simply hook up optical or digital coax from STB to your AVR.

Yeah, trying to get sound to the AVR speakers. Instruction booklet and/or the AVR might be old. It doesn't even show a STB connected via HDMI, but does show a DVD connected by HDMI AND (and this is the clue) it also shows a digital audio cable connection. Oh well, looks like another Monoprice order.
post #34 of 408 Old 02-29-2008, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, trying to get sound to the AVR speakers. Instruction booklet and/or the AVR might be old. It doesn't even show a STB connected via HDMI, but does show a DVD connected by HDMI AND (and this is the clue) it also shows a digital audio cable connection. Oh well, looks like another Monoprice order.

You might just run a simple digital coax (single RCA) for audio before you buy another cable. Digital coax (SPDIF) and optical (toslink) have no real audible difference.
post #35 of 408 Old 02-29-2008, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby10 View Post

You might just run a simple digital coax (single RCA) for audio before you buy another cable. Digital coax (SPDIF) and optical (toslink) have no real audible difference.

Hey, I really appreciate the help. Question: is a simple, old RCA plug, as in the red/white stereo sets the same as a digital coax? I thought that the latter was something special. Got plenty of those around if they're the same.
post #36 of 408 Old 03-01-2008, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey, I really appreciate the help. Question: is a simple, old RCA plug, as in the red/white stereo sets the same as a digital coax? I thought that the latter was something special. Got plenty of those around if they're the same.

Well, they are different, but I think the only difference is the digital coax is a lower gauge wire (thicker) and probably has better shielding.

I'm suggesting you use your old red-white RCA's as a temporary fix to make sure everything is functioning as you expect before you buy more cables. But, yes, if you are getting the DD signal and it sounds good then I would definitely get a true digital coax cable from monoprice (my favorite cable supplier).

Unfortunately, just buying a single digital coax from monoprice, the shipping will probably be more than the cable itself.
post #37 of 408 Old 03-01-2008, 08:16 AM

Liked: 10
I have a PS3 hooked up to my Pioneer Elite tv via HDMI (from the PS3) to DVI (tv).

I want to experience the new audio formats that are displayed on Blu Ray discs. DTS-HD, Dolby True HD etc

I of course need to purchase a receiver that supports these formats. Before I do.

If I plug the PS3 into the audio receiver via HDMI input, then from HDMI output on audio receiver to my tv via HDMI to DVI cable. My question is, will I still be able to get the HDMI audio formats mentioned above with that DVI connection, or does it need to be all HDMI connections?

Thanks,

Tim
post #38 of 408 Old 03-01-2008, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Did you read the OP ?

It explains that you DON't need an AVR which can decode the "new formats." As long as it supports MPCM over HDMI you are in good shape.

As for the other question, I don't understand what you want. Do you want audio to your TV? Or just making sure the DVI connection doesn't disable your AVR audio?

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #39 of 408 Old 03-06-2008, 05:49 PM

I just bought my system the other day, and surprisingly I was able to get everything hooked up and working properly. Everything Except the Remote control that is. I realize that I'll never use half the buttons on the remote, but all I want to do with it is turn the volume up and down without having to go and twist the bad ass "knob" on the receiver itself. Any suggestions? or should i just take my remote back to best buy and make them give me a new one?
post #40 of 408 Old 03-06-2008, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by braden321 View Post

I just bought my system the other day, and surprisingly I was able to get everything hooked up and working properly. Everything Except the Remote control that is. I realize that I'll never use half the buttons on the remote, but all I want to do with it is turn the volume up and down without having to go and twist the bad ass "knob" on the receiver itself. Any suggestions? or should i just take my remote back to best buy and make them give me a new one?

did you check the batteries?

super dirty , super clean , pow
post #41 of 408 Old 03-06-2008, 05:56 PM

yeah, the remote functions perfectly aside from that one little glitch. I can run the OSD from it, turn it off and on, change inputs whatever, it just doesn't seem to like the volume buttons.
post #42 of 408 Old 03-18-2008, 11:16 AM

Great write up!

Anyone know of a good "AVR vs amp/processor" type of faq or write up?

I've always used AVRs (and have been happy with them), but wondering if the new speaker setup I have in mind warrants an amp/processor setup.
post #43 of 408 Old 03-18-2008, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You can always use a receiver as an affordable preprocessor if it has appropriate pre amp outputs.

post #44 of 408 Old 03-20-2008, 01:04 PM

I am in the market for a receiver for under 400. I am going to be hooking up a PS3, 360, and either a HD Cable or Sat box. Honestly i am nub when it comes to A/V equipment so any advice would be excellent! Thanks.
post #45 of 408 Old 03-20-2008, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Your question is best asked outside this thread, H.

post #46 of 408 Old 03-21-2008, 11:07 PM

let me make sure i got this right my avr is hdmi 1.2 i have the panny bd 10/a it does all the decoding can i get the new audio this way

Monitor audio gs60's
Monitor audio lcr center
Monitor audio gs fx surrounds
Oppo bdp83
Kuro pro 101fd
Direct tv hr22
Integra dhc 40.1 processor
post #47 of 408 Old 03-22-2008, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I am not familiar with that player. Most players lack a DTS-HD decoder though, and no HDMI 1.2 receiver has a DTS-HD decoder.

Except for that, your player likely decodes everything else, and can transmit the decoded audio via HDMI.

post #48 of 408 Old 03-23-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Your question is best asked outside this thread, H.

Ok so were do I post masta.
post #49 of 408 Old 03-23-2008, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Lol. Post a question by starting a new thread in this (AMPs, Receivers, and Processors) sub-forum.
post #50 of 408 Old 04-03-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:

General AVR FAQ

Digital Audio

* Optical or COAX terminated S/PDIF connection
- This common digital connector comes in two flavors - optical or coax (RCA terminated.) While the merits of these connections have been debated, pratically speaking they perform the same job. This cable can be used for CD players, DVD players or high definition players to send stereo, Dolby Digital or DTS. It does not support the newer high defintion audio formats sush as TrueHD.

Based on this...is there any way to get HD audio (or anything truely 5.1 or greater from the tv to the AVR?
Is getting the 5.1 broadcast from OTA or anything else connected directly to the tv then having the audio directed to an AVR going lose the full HD audio?

Thank you!
post #51 of 408 Old 04-03-2008, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I am not 100% sure what you want to do. Making some assumptions, let's say you are using your TV as a tuner, and want DD out. You may be able to do that using the TVs audio out. That's one reason to worry about the TVs optical output I can think of.

In general, I would run all audio through your AVR, and skip the TVs audio as much as possible.

Most TVs have limitations on audio that AVRs don't have. I would not expect get Dolby Digital out from a TVs optical out when fed HDMI audio, but you really have to check your TVs manual and experiment. If you hook up your AVR in the usual way, that should not matter much.

Some people want their TV's to have all the same audio their receivers do - for wives, children, whatever, who want to be able to turn on the TV and have it work. That may be what you are getting at. There's some challenges to that though. For example, trying to use your TV to switch and route the proper HDMI audio back to your AVR. Odds are good you won't be able to do that without making some compromises.

post #52 of 408 Old 04-04-2008, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd8653 View Post

Based on this...is there any way to get HD audio (or anything truely 5.1 or greater from the tv to the AVR?
Is getting the 5.1 broadcast from OTA or anything else connected directly to the tv then having the audio directed to an AVR going lose the full HD audio?

Thank you!

Some tv's do have digital audio outs (optical and/or coax) which you could then run to your AVR.

But there is no HD audio OTA, nor will there be anytime in the foreseeable future. Dolby 5.1 or 2.0 is all that is broadcast. This holds true for cable and sat as well, DD 5.1 is the best you can get without an HDM source like HD-DVD or Blu-ray.
post #53 of 408 Old 04-06-2008, 01:01 PM

Thank you, that answers my question
post #54 of 408 Old 04-10-2008, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I rewrote the section on amplifier power, because I know how important power is to many buyers. I tried to objectively explain the ins and outs of specs. Any feedback on that section.

post #55 of 408 Old 04-10-2008, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I rewrote the section on amplifier power, because I know how important power is to many buyers. I tried to objectively explain the ins and outs of specs. Any feedback on that section.

Looks like a good writeup, just a couple of nitpick points:
1. It's 'dB' not 'Db' for decibels.
2. Speaking of, you might want to write a bit more about what dB means.
3. I don't think anyone uses white noise as a test signal for THD, since the distortion products would mix right in with the test signal. Usually the wide band tests are done with swept or stepped sine waves.
post #56 of 408 Old 04-10-2008, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I will make those corrections, thanks. Kinda sad I mistyped dB I feel foolish.

post #57 of 408 Old 04-10-2008, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I feel that the power section is a whole article in itself now. It is an important topic for a lot of people. I am trying to fix the table, so forgive me for that at the moment.

post #58 of 408 Old 04-10-2008, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
PS3 gets DTS-HS MA decoding:

http://www.dts.com/company/press/pre...cID=1&yID=2008

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #59 of 408 Old 04-10-2008, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Hey Jack, why the post in this thread? Do I need to correct something?

post #60 of 408 Old 04-11-2008, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Nahh, just an FYI...it's your thread.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List