Avr Faq - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 408 Old 07-31-2008, 02:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I'm planning to buy a new home theater NAD 175 or the new NAD master or integra 9.8
NAD master amp. 7.1
My speaker is Aurum Cantus Supreme( very big)
This is the dilemma.

We love tube sound ( thinking buying Caying 150w tube amp.) but 7.1 , odyssey equalizer is great improvement to the sound.
We are not super audiophile but we can see the difference.

1 - can we just use the tube amp for the 2 fronts speakers and connect the rest to the m15?
2 - we need to add an other tube to the center?
I know no one does that, but why? Some say the dynamic will not be the same??? Can the odyssey rebalance or delay??????

MichaelJHuman I red your brief, it was very interesting, do you have the experience.
If someone has any solution or has tried that ???????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 408 Old 07-31-2008, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 74
You can get a receiver with preouts, and connect a two channel tube amp for stereo listening.

The tube amp may reduce your total system power when connected though, as tube amps are usually limited in their total power.

One option is a multiple input speaker level selector. This is different than a multiple input speaker selector, and likely costs more. It would allow you to connect speaker outputs from the receiver and the tube amp, and switch between them when listening to movies. Left and Right speaker cable would go between the box and your receivers.

This is the sort of thing I am thinking of. Look at the Niles amplifier selector

http://www.bizrate.com/audioaccessor...+selector.html

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #153 of 408 Old 08-01-2008, 01:27 AM

with this solution, it would be film with solid preamp, tube for stereo listening. But what would be the sound for 7.1 listening. the idea is to use true HD or other, with the warmness of the tube for the music without having 2 systems.

Is the NILES AUDIO SSVC-2 or 4 would do for your last solution. is this high quality connection?
post #154 of 408 Old 08-01-2008, 09:10 AM

Hi guys - great thread.

I've read the whole thread, and hope this hasn't been covered elsewhere: I'm considering buying a 1080p projector for a HT I'm building now, and was wondering if it upscales all incoming video signals to 1080p the same way a 1080p TV does. I assume so, but just want to be sure before narrowing down my AVR choices.

Also, I'd like to leave my options open for running whole-home audio/video using a matrix switch (probalby 8x4) after I've built the theater. My idea was to use all of the equipment from the HT A/V closet (DVD, PS3, VCR, 2 cable boxes, maybe Apple TV) as the main inputs for the matrix switch. Is there anything I need to be on the lookout for while buying an AVR to make life easier once I have the matrix switch?

Thanks!
post #155 of 408 Old 08-01-2008, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Unless it's a CRT projector, it will scale to it's native resolution.

DPL and LCD projectors have addressable pixel "matrices" just like LCD and DLP TVs

post #156 of 408 Old 08-01-2008, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you prefer connecting audio to your receiver and video to your TV, you may have to buy an HDMI switch or splitter. Ok this is what i have been trying to find out.This is what i prefer.Im looking to get the RX-V1800 and i currenty have my PS3 and 360 Elite connected to 4X1 Enhanced 1.3b Certified HDMI Switch from monoprice.And its hooked up to my sony XBR970 which has 1 hdmi input.In what way should i connect it so my TV displays video and the AVR just does ONLY the audio?thxs.

post #157 of 408 Old 08-01-2008, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I run my XBox 360 and my PS3 into my Yamaha RX-V2700 via HDMI, and a single HDMI out to my TV. I see no reason not to do it this way.

If you REALLY want to split audio and video, you may have to buy a HDMI splitter so you can run cables to your receiver and switchbox separately. Lots of cable clutter, more room for failure.

Running optical for audio from the 360 is fine. But running optical from your PS3 is somewhat limiting. For example, I don't know that the PS3 properly supports listening to TrueHD soundtracks with an optical connection.

While people are worried about the HDMI black and white video clipping thing, I don't see it as a problem. If you are using a calibration disc which does not work properly through the 1800, connect it directly to the TV for calibration, and then reconnect it to the 1800. Only use limited range video. Limited may sound bad; in fact, it's perfectly normal.

post #158 of 408 Old 08-16-2008, 09:59 PM

"In another scenario, say your AVR upconverts to HDMI. You have a VHS player connected (for your old Duke's of Hazard recordings,) a DVD player connected with component video, and your PS3 connected with HDMI. Turn on HDMI upconversion, and all your sources are converted to HDMI. You only need run a single HDMI cable to your TV"

Sorry newbie question..why do people complain about # of HDMI ports on AVR receievers that upconvert to HDMI if this is the case? Reading through threads I always hear "It only has 2 HDMI ports, 3 would have been ideal", or something along those lines..
post #159 of 408 Old 08-16-2008, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

While you can upconvert from component, ideally you would not want to do this for digital video devices. Say you have a DVD player with both HDMI and component video. Using the component video output involves extra conversions. The digital video on the DVD has to be converted to analog. Then the receiver or TV will have to convert this back to the digital domain (assuming you have a non CRT HDTV.)

post #160 of 408 Old 08-28-2008, 06:48 AM

Does anyone have an opinion as to best HDMI arrangement on a AVR vertical or horizontal. Which one has best connection and ability to remain connected?
post #161 of 408 Old 08-28-2008, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I have noticed neither one to be better. I have not had too many problems with my HDMI plugs pulling out. The friction of contact is low though.

I will quote what HDMI.org says on this topic -

Quote:

Q. My HDMI cable sometimes falls out of the HDMI connector. Is anything being done to address this problem?
The combination of vertically-oriented connectors and heavy, thick-gauge cables appears to have the potential of causing the connector to fall out. In some cases, it is due to the usage of a cable with a non-compliant, large connector over-molding that prevents proper connector engagement. The HDMI Founders are actively investigating a locking connector option that would be backward compatible with existing Standard (Type A) connectors.

We have seen a few connectors that are out of spec (e.g., not the right size, too much over-molding, etc.), which led to compatibility issues and, in some cases, connector damage. However, in December 2005, we implemented a connector certification program to help ensure that all Adopters use compliant connectors.

Several manufacturers are now selling “port savers” – short, flexible sections of HDMI cable that easily bend at a right angle for applications where the HDMI cable requires a 90 degree bend directly out of the connector. Without these “port savers,” heavier cables can put undue pressure on the connector and the connectors can dislodge.

post #162 of 408 Old 08-29-2008, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Michael: great thread, thanks for taking time and explaining everything to us newbies.. I probably will go with the PS3, according to S&V, the best blu ray player out there..Whats a good "does it all" receiver? Leaning to the new Onkyo 806..

post #163 of 408 Old 08-29-2008, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I have the PS3 too, and am fully satisfied with it. It's deinterlacing could be a bit better for DVD players. Unfortunately, the PS3 only sends 480p over HDMI. That means you are stuck with it's deinterlacer when using it as a DVD player. I am hoping this RX-V3900 with PRep, can improve on this because it can supposedly correct poor deinterlacing (not that the PS3 is poor.)

Onkyo is about the most affordable thing going. Denon has a three HDMI input receiver in the $600 range which looks nice (the 1909 I think.) The Yamaha RX-V663 is popular, just make sure you set the PS3 to limited range because the RX-V663 clips levels above and below digital black. Full range won't work right. All of this is covered in various PS3 threads, the 663 thread and another thread about BTB/WTW clipping.

post #164 of 408 Old 10-03-2008, 09:22 PM

I have a denon avr-3806 I don't hear any audio in the dts mode?
I do here sound in pcm mode.
I have my dvd hooked up via optical and my cable via coax.
Where is the best place to post this ??
Terry ,
I have lots of questions re: avr-3806 where should I go?
post #165 of 408 Old 10-04-2008, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmcisp View Post

I have a denon avr-3806 I don't hear any audio in the dts mode?
I do here sound in pcm mode.
I have my dvd hooked up via optical and my cable via coax.
Where is the best place to post this ??
Terry ,
I have lots of questions re: avr-3806 where should I go?

Denon 3806 thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=denon+3806
post #166 of 408 Old 10-14-2008, 09:24 PM

is there a big difference between mpcm over hdmi and using multi-channel analog inputs?

i guess in the case of the analog inputs you're only getting the core track .. is that right?

I'm thinking about buying an older Denon unit like 5800 or 5803 that only has analog inputs.

I'm not dieing for HDMI or "full" HD audio as long as i can get the core DD and DTS tracks over analog transfer and there's no big deal with using the BD players DACs etc...
post #167 of 408 Old 10-14-2008, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malicious View Post

is there a big difference between mpcm over hdmi and using multi-channel analog inputs?

I'm thinking about buying an older Denon unit like 5800 or 5803 that only has analog inputs.

I'm not dieing for HDMI or "full" HD audio as long as i can get the core DD and DTS tracks over analog transfer and there's no big deal with using the BD players DACs etc...

There could be a difference obviously. As you say DACs is one possible difference. Bass management is another (with analog, you have to rely on the player's bass management.) It's definitely a viable option though.

I would personally buy something with HDMI audio even if you are buying an older model. After all, last years models are often half the price. But you know best what you want.

If you just want DD or DTS, just run an optical output. For DTS-HD Master Audio, I believe the player will bitstream core DTS which works for you. For TrueHD discs, people are saying the discs all have a DD track in case your setup can't support TrueHD. I cannot confirm this. Not sure what happens if the disc has a multi-channel PCM track. You would have to check into that for the player you plan on buying.

post #168 of 408 Old 10-15-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I would personally buy something with HDMI audio even if you are buying an older model. After all, last years models are often half the price. But you know best what you want.

so i would get the BD core tracks and bass management with digital-in/toslink from BD player?

wow i think that's the answer for me....

I tend to wait for top level resolutions and save money vs. buying 1080p or TRUE-HD etc....

My 08 panasonic plasma (50px80u) is only 720p but from 12 feet away it looks fantastic with HD cable channels like NBC ABC etc....

I haven't tried the panny with a BD player yet but i'm sure i'll be very happy with it's 720p with BD.

I kind of feel the same way about the HBR codecs .... I want an overbuilt, maybe even flagship, receiver but I only want to pay 500-600 bucks....

With the core transfer via optical it will still sound very very good and maybe even indistinguishable from TRUE-HD or DTS-MA. Especially since i will have no point of reference other than DD and regular DTS.

I'm looking to make the move to a better receiver and BD in about 8-12 months when the price of BD players come down further.

At that time i'm hoping flagship Mega-receivers like Denon 5800-5803a, Pioneer VSX-59TXi, Harman 7300, and Yammy RX-Z9 will be in the 500-650 range given they are around 800-1000 now. These are crazy units that were way overbuilt only a few short years ago.

This should give me more value than a new $500-650 mid-fi receiver next year, better dacs, more power, better design/topology, just overbuilt units in general vs. mid-fi. Plus i just get more intrinsic satisfaction from owning something that once cost $4000 and looks like a tank and weighs 60lbs. I'll give up HBR and Dynamic EQ etc.. for that feeling of build quality.

If i'm off base here and would be better off with a new mid-fi receiver next year vs. an older flagship (given that HBR codecs are not a must have for me) let me know.

The other option is to buy separates next year. Something like emotiva MMC-1/UMC-1 and LPA-1/UPA-1. This option would well exceed $650 i'm guessing even used next year.

My real problem is WAF. I was in college i'd be buying the UMC-1 and XPA-5 from emotiva like it was nothing for $1000+

I just spent $1000 on Klipsch RF-5, RC-7, RS-7, RSW-12 system so i have no reserve WAF points at the moment.

I guess for now i've got to kick it with my Onk TX-SR601 and DVD player toslink (which, with the Klipsch, is the best HT i've ever had).
post #169 of 408 Old 10-15-2008, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If i'm off base here and would be better off with a new mid-fi receiver next year vs. an older flagship (given that HBR codecs are not a must have for me) let me know.

I don't think so. As long as a receiver has the features you need, I see no reason to get the newest models.

I have posted a review of lossless sound a few times. The article's conclusion is that lossy DD and DTS are very good. Also note, that on Blu-ray, you will typically get 448 khz Dolby Digital rather than the lower rate on DVD. And you will get 1.5 Mbs DTS for the most part.

I see no reason for you to jump on the lossless bandwagon based on what you have said.

I personally love features, so I am buying the Yamaha RX-V3900. That does not mean I think it's the right choice for everyone.

post #170 of 408 Old 10-15-2008, 09:08 AM

that's a nice unit...made for ipod, bluetooth etc...

ok then it's settled .... I've got a year to decide and watch prices and wait for WAF to build back up

may god bless you for helping me with this.... lol now i can move on with my life.... if you don't watch it this stuff can consume your mind..
post #171 of 408 Old 10-15-2008, 09:15 AM

that being said are there any other mega-receivers that are not listed here that were built a few years ago and should be on this list but aren't?

Denon 5800-5803a, Pioneer VSX-59TXi, Harman 7300, and Yammy RX-Z9

Those are the only ones i know of that i would classify as Mega-Receivers (50-60lbs) and the Harman barely makes it. It's probably out of consideration anyway because of the fan inside it that runs 100% of the time.

edit: I know it's somewhat naive but I like the idea of owning a previous Flagship.
post #172 of 408 Old 10-16-2008, 07:09 AM

I'm really leaning towards the Pio since the Denon doesn't have auto-setup, the harman has a fan, and the Yammys are said to be bright with Klipsch + i'm not in love with the plain jane looks of it....

any other mega-receiver 60lbs+ brands?
post #173 of 408 Old 10-16-2008, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You will probably get better responses outside this post which is mainly meant for the AVR Faq.

post #174 of 408 Old 10-16-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:

You will probably get better responses outside this post which is mainly meant for the AVR Faq.

oh ok... i got a little addicted to you helpfulness... i'll do my own homework..

thanks
post #175 of 408 Old 10-16-2008, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I don't mind helping. But if you post here you will mainly get mine and Toby's help who also seems to read this thread.

post #176 of 408 Old 10-16-2008, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

I don't mind helping. But if you post here you will mainly get mine and Toby's help who also seems to read this thread.

Who??
post #177 of 408 Old 10-17-2008, 08:53 PM

i've been trying to distinguish the difference between the Denon AVC-A1HD and the AVR-1909. Other than price, format-support, speaker configurations and general physical differences, where in the entire audio/video setup would both of these models differ?

I tried searching around in AVS, but came up empty. So could someone please help clarify the difference this greenhorn? Thanks.
post #178 of 408 Old 10-17-2008, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You will likely get better answers by posting a new thread. This thread's primary purpose is to support the FAQ, and is not generally read.

post #179 of 408 Old 10-21-2008, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I added a section on clipping and another on external amplifiers. I tried to improve the section on amplifier power. I added some of my own conclusions on per channel power needs (based on testing scene one in the movie Sahara). And I added some more information on video processing limitations early on in the section.

As always, I appreciate feedback.

post #180 of 408 Old 10-22-2008, 12:38 PM

I am planning to buy a 7.1 receiver. Either a Onkyo 606 or a Sony 802. My current speaker set up is for a 5.1 system. Can I switch the 7.1 to a 5.1 so that I wont lose any audio in the process? There must be a setting within an advanced receiver to do this. Please advise.

thanks!!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page