Avr Faq - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 408 Old 10-22-2008, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 99
The speaker setup is automatically set by the receiver's auto setup program (if it has one.)

If not, you need to manually go into the receiver's setup and select no rear surround speakers.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 408 Old 10-22-2008, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

The speaker setup is automatically set by the receiver's auto setup program (if it has one.)

If not, you need to manually go into the receiver's setup and select no rear surround speakers.

Thank you for your response. Btw..which receiver would you choose? the Onkyo 606 or the Sony 802? If none of those which do you recommend for under $400?
post #183 of 408 Old 10-22-2008, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It's probably most helpful to seek an answer to that question outside of this thread; more people will see the question that way.

post #184 of 408 Old 10-27-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:

Will I loose the ability to hear any of the benefits of True HD and DTS-HD MA since they are 7.1 if I do switch the receiver to pass the audio to plain old 5.1?

The reason I ask is as mentioned before I only have a 5.1 speaker setup. I dont know if and when I will upgrade the speaker set up to 7.1. Do not know if I should just buy an advanced 5.1 or future proof to 7.1. Decisions decisons. Please advise. Thanks!!!
post #185 of 408 Old 10-27-2008, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

They are capable of UP to 7.1. The fact that you would have 5.1 should be communciated to the source device via the HDMI EDID information. The source device will send 5.1 as 5.1. For 6.1 or 7.1, it should apply some sort of downconversion to 5.1.

post #186 of 408 Old 10-27-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:

They are capable of UP to 7.1. The fact that you would have 5.1 should be communciated to the source device via the HDMI EDID information. The source device will send 5.1 as 5.1. For 6.1 or 7.1, it should apply some sort of downconversion to 5.1.

Thank you again!!
post #187 of 408 Old 10-31-2008, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Happy Halloween everyone! (No need to respond )

post #188 of 408 Old 11-01-2008, 09:56 PM
pjr

I am afraid I have been out of the loop for a couple of years. My scaler bit the dust. I am not sure that I need one now. The main benefits were SD, which I don't watch much now and DVD, where I plan to get a blue-ray. My main concern is lyp sync issues. I used my scaler for that and it worked great. I was thinking a new amp could solve that problem. I have been looking at the specs for amps and can not find any mention of adjustment for lip sync. Do all of them have it now and therefore does not need to be mentioned or am I missing something?
post #189 of 408 Old 11-01-2008, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

My receiver has an audio delay setting. I believe it's a common feature. With the advent of HDMI 1.3, there's an auto lip synch feature. I believe your TV has to implement it as well as your receiver.

When in doubt, download manuals for any AVR you are thinking of buying and look at it's lip synch (audio delay) settings.

post #190 of 408 Old 11-01-2008, 10:33 PM
pjr

Thanks. I am trying to figure out where to even start. The guy who does my TV calibration does not really have an amp to recommend, so I trying to look at everything. I am hoping to wait until I go to CES.
post #191 of 408 Old 11-01-2008, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Figure out a budget, and narrow your choices down a bit based on budget and mandatory features, then look at the threads dedicated to those models in this forum. Onkyo, HK and Yamaha seem to be the most popular models for buyers on a budget (I have no idea what your budget is though.)

You could post a thread explaining your needs, but there's a few of those daily - and I think you are best served by doing some research on your own.

post #192 of 408 Old 11-03-2008, 08:08 AM

I have a Samsung LNxx650 Tv and a Denon 2309 AV Receiver. Problem is how to hook up receiver to TV via Cable box from Cox. I have inputs for HDMI on the reeiver for TV but not for the cable box. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I need to do? Thanks
post #193 of 408 Old 11-03-2008, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Post this to the AVR forum as this is thread is primarily for the FAQ, and not everyone reads this thread.

post #194 of 408 Old 11-03-2008, 12:53 PM

I am looking into pulling the trigger on a Pio Pioneer VSX-1018AH. According to Pioneer website this unit is rated at 130 watts x 7. So here is a big time NOOB question:

I have speakers that are rated at 10 Min – 100 watts Max...Will I blow out my speakers with this Receiver? I suspect that this is too much firepower but I needed confirmation. Please advise.

thanks in advance.
post #195 of 408 Old 11-03-2008, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Probably not (blowing your speakers,) but it depends on the speakers and your receiver. Some seem to feel those power handling numbers don't mean much.

It's mainly about heat. The voice coils in speakers can only handle so much heat. Exceed the thermal limits on your speakers and they will eventually fail.

Normal spikes, as when watching movies are likely not a problem. Listening to music at or near the speakers limits will blow the speakers.

Another factor is clipping. Clipping can result in excessive power being sent to the tweeter. That's never a good thing.

You could also exceed the mechanical limits of your woofer. Nice thing about that, is that it's likely audible. I used to be able to create terrible sounds by playing Dark Side of the Moon to my small ACI Emerald bookshelf speakers. I was almost certainly exceeding the small woofer's excursion limits. This was not a subtle sound, believe me.

I have blown one speaker in my home system in my life, and one car speaker. I believe both were the result of very loud music played into them.

Odds are good that avoiding loud music will keep your speakers working perfectly for many years. By loud music, I am talking at least 90 dB at your listening position. If you DO plan on playing loud music a lot, try 5 or 7 channel modes to distribute the load. Or buy bigger speakers. Or just take your chances, it's hard to tell.

post #196 of 408 Old 11-03-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:

Probably not (blowing your speakers,) but it depends on the speakers and your receiver. Some seem to feel those power handling numbers don't mean much.

It's mainly about heat. The voice coils in speakers can only handle so much heat. Exceed the thermal limits on your speakers and they will eventually fail.

Normal spikes, as when watching movies are likely not a problem. Listening to music at or near the speakers limits will blow the speakers.

Another factor is clipping. Clipping can result in excessive power being sent to the tweeter. That's never a good thing.

You could also exceed the mechanical limits of your woofer. Nice thing about that, is that it's likely audible. I used to be able to create terrible sounds by playing Dark Side of the Moon to my small ACI Emerald bookshelf speakers. I was almost certainly exceeding the small woofer's excursion limits. This was not a subtle sound, believe me.

I have blown one speaker in my home system in my life, and one car speaker. I believe both were the result of very loud music played into them.

Odds are good that avoiding loud music will keep your speakers working perfectly for many years. By loud music, I am talking at least 90 dB at your listening position. If you DO plan on playing loud music a lot, try 5 or 7 channel modes to distribute the load. Or buy bigger speakers. Or just take your chances, it's hard to tell.

My living room limit that I hardly ever pass is -30db with 5 channel distribution. My Yammy is rated at 95 watts x 5. With two channel (Stereo mode) distro I can go more than that.

So I guess I should not crank it up all the way right?
post #197 of 408 Old 11-03-2008, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The only thing I can tell you is that prudence may be suggested by using speakers with lower power handling specs.

No one can reliably tell you what your actual limits are IMHO. Hearing organizations suggest not subjecting your ears to continuous levels over 85 dB in any case. I find that 85 dB to 90 dB is about the loudest I want to listen to music anyway, but I am not in my 20's anymore (In my 20s, there was really no such thing as too loud.)

post #198 of 408 Old 11-11-2008, 11:25 AM

I'm fairly new at this, especially with HD sound. Hopefully my question won't be stupid. I have the following components.

Sony LCD
Sony Blu-ray BDP-S350
Sony STR-V555ES (Does not decode HD audio)

HDMI cables connected to TV from DVD. And since the receiver does not decode HD audio I send the sound via Optical cable to my receiver. The situation is that while playing Blu-ray DVDs, I hear surround sound, but I don't get the "Multi Channel Decoding" or the "Dolby Digital" light indicator on my AVR. But when I play non Blu-ray DVDs with Dolby Digital 5.1 surround I get the light indicators on the AVR.

Is this because my AVR does not decode HD Audio? And if that's true, I'm I getting Dolby Digital 5.1 instead eventhough the indicators do not light on?

Thanks
post #199 of 408 Old 11-11-2008, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I would ask this in the main sub forum and not in this thread as you will get more answers. I would see if the player allows you to connect optical for audio while still using HDMI for video. If that works, the downside is that you will lose TV audio (audio from your TV's speakers.)

post #200 of 408 Old 11-11-2008, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 380hpSC@12 View Post

I'm fairly new at this, especially with HD sound. Hopefully my question won't be stupid. I have the following components.

Sony LCD
Sony Blu-ray BDP-S350
Sony STR-V555ES (Does not decode HD audio)

HDMI cables connected to TV from DVD. And since the receiver does not decode HD audio I send the sound via Optical cable to my receiver. The situation is that while playing Blu-ray DVDs, I hear surround sound, but I don't get the "Multi Channel Decoding" or the "Dolby Digital" light indicator on my AVR. But when I play non Blu-ray DVDs with Dolby Digital 5.1 surround I get the light indicators on the AVR.

Is this because my AVR does not decode HD Audio? And if that's true, I'm I getting Dolby Digital 5.1 instead eventhough the indicators do not light on?

Thanks

You may have a player setting limitation, but this is common. Basically most HD players give you a choice to Bitstream or Decode, but not both based on audio selection. These players should give us a little more flexibility like: If HD audio, decode and send as MPCM. If standard DD or DTS then Bitstream.

Sounds like your player can do both (which is nice) without changing the player settings. But seems to limit you to ALL Decode if a Blu-ray source.

As suggested by Michael, you might want to ask this in your player specific forum to double check your settings. But in the end, it matters little where the decoding is taking place.
post #201 of 408 Old 11-12-2008, 06:34 AM

Thank you for the quick response. I will follow your suggestions.
post #202 of 408 Old 11-21-2008, 08:44 AM

This FAQ is by far the most complete, practical and understandable document on the topic I have found so far. It is enormously helpful, thank you for all the work in putting it together!
post #203 of 408 Old 11-21-2008, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You're welcome

post #204 of 408 Old 11-24-2008, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Awesome FAQ...just bought a Yammy 663 and am enjoying it thoroughly...the tuner itself brings back the power of radio. I have been confused by the notion of adding amplifier to the AVR and it was not until I read your FAQ that I think I got a better understanding, mainly not to worry about it.
A quesiton, an old JPL speaker on occasion will sound terrible with a few stations but when I switch to another station, it was back to normal. Is this a function of frequency, as the volume was essential unchanged...

TIA
post #205 of 408 Old 11-24-2008, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Awesome FAQ...just bought a Yammy 663 and am enjoying it thoroughly...the tuner itself brings back the power of radio. I have been confused by the notion of adding amplifier to the AVR and it was not until I read your FAQ that I think I got a better understanding, mainly not to worry about it.
A quesiton, an old JPL speaker on occasion will sound terrible with a few stations but when I switch to another station, it was back to normal. Is this a function of frequency, as the volume was essential unchanged...

TIA
post #206 of 408 Old 11-24-2008, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The speaker might have a bad driver that acts up with certain frequencies. You could try running some test tones through it. That might give you an indication of what's wrong.

You can download various ranges of test tones online for free.

post #207 of 408 Old 11-26-2008, 08:11 AM

Michael,

Thanks so much for this informative and readable thread. I was about to ask my first question on this board a decided to read your FAQ first. I was amazed that you answered many of my questions, some I didn't have until I started read this great FAQ. I really appreciate the time and effort that you spent making the thread so easy to read.

Fifteen years ago I worked on software drivers for audio at Crystal Semiconductor when PCM was king. Six years ago I worked on software drivers for a PC graphics and video adapter. Things have really come a long ways since 6 years ago regards video processing. It will be fun catching up.

Regards,
Scott
post #208 of 408 Old 11-26-2008, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It seems like the number of features in AVRs has been increasing at a non linear rate. HD players and HDMI have especially complicated the AVRs. Good luck with your search.

post #209 of 408 Old 12-04-2008, 06:44 PM

I'm looking for a receiver to meet my video needs as I feel that any of the below receivers will be fine in the audio department... What I want is a receiver that will upscale (hope thats the right term after reading this thread!) my video sources to 1080P or close to it. The sources are:

Scientific Atlanta 4250HD Cable box from Cablevision
Nintendo Wii
Xbox (original used for XBMC)
PS3

And they will be displayed on a Samsung LNT5265.

The only caveat is that it has to be a receiver sold by Amazon as I have ~$500 in gift certificates that I want to use on this purchase.

I have been looking at the following:

Pioneer Elite 94
Denon 3808
Onkyo 906/876
Yamaha 3900

Anyone have any suggestions between those listed? Am I not looking at a unit I should be?
post #210 of 408 Old 12-05-2008, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Post a new thread for this sort of request. This thread is mainly for questions on the FAQ itself

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page