AVS Forum banner

Where to Demo A/V Equipment in MD/No VA/DC Area?

860 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Cal68 
#1 ·
I am looking for recommendations of small speciality stores in the Maryland/Northern Virginia/Washington DC area where one can demo A/V preamps/processors. The only stores that I can find around here are the big box stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, Myer-Emco, etc., but they don't carry many of the brands that I am interested in demo'ing (e.g., Integra, B&K). I've tried using the manufacturer's websites to find dealers, but many of the so called "dealers" are really installers, and they don't have showrooms where I can listen to the A/V equipment. Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cal68

#2 ·
Go to the sites of well known manufacturers, like NAD, Marantz ( www.marantz.com ), Monitor Audio ( www.monitoraudio.com ), PSB ( www.psbspeakers.com ), Adcom, etc. Go to their dealer finder, punch in your ZC or City, State, select location radius from your location, and it will give you names of authorized dealers. Those dealers are high end audio companies that you can go there for advise and auditioning, besides the brand you looked up in the net they probably have six more brands to choose from.

#3 ·
Check Out soundworks, in kensington maryland. I have bought all of my gear there, and they sell B&K and Integra. They also have parasound, anthem and a few other separate manufactures. Their website is not good (soundworksmd.com) but if you click on contact us, there is a phone number and an address. I would recommend them, I have dealt with both wally and mark (who posts in the projector forums), and both are very knowledgeable.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Audio /forum/post/12682880

Go to the sites of well known manufacturers, like NAD, Marantz ( www.marantz.com ), Monitor Audio ( www.monitoraudio.com ), PSB ( www.psbspeakers.com ), Adcom, etc. Go to their dealer finder, punch in your ZC or City, State, select location radius from your location, and it will give you names of authorized dealers. Those dealers are high end audio companies that you can go there for advise and auditioning, besides the brand you looked up in the net they probably have six more brands to choose from.

Thanks for the tip. As I mentioned in my posting, I tried that but many of the dealers that are listed in the sites of the manufacturers don't seem to actually have soundrooms where one can audition the equipment. They'll order the equipment for you, but you have to get them without checking out what they sound like. That's what concerns me. I don't want to drop a couple of grand on equipment that I may or may not like!

Cal68

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrossebowe8 /forum/post/12684548

Check Out soundworks, in kensington maryland. I have bought all of my gear there, and they sell B&K and Integra. They also have parasound, anthem and a few other separate manufactures. Their website is not good (soundworksmd.com) but if you click on contact us, there is a phone number and an address. I would recommend them, I have dealt with both wally and mark (who posts in the projector forums), and both are very knowledgeable.

I went to Soundworks today before I saw your E-Mail. I agree with you that they seem very knowledgeable and friendly. They've given me a couple of ideas to work with and I'll have to do a little research before I go back to them. Thanks for the tip.

Cal68

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.