Advertisement

post #182 of 3466 Old 04-05-2008, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchenry View Post

What type of Transceiver? Is it a communication signal riding on a fixed frequency?

If the current swing is from 2A - 32A then this is a constant range, as compared to an Audio Amp which must reproduce an ever variable frequency into a reactive load.

Apples to Oranges.

It's not AM signal with constant amplitude, it's a Single Side Band - current change with signal wave change. But my point was that usually I use this PS up to 20-22A, when PS supply rated as 32A. So, I have a plenty spare. When you design PS for any current you should have some extra.
And Power Supply doesn't care what variable frequency you supply to your speakers, it does care about current (pay attention - you're talking about Amp, I am talking about PS).
post #183 of 3466 Old 04-05-2008, 07:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
One encouraging thing about the DACs is that the product page lists "DSD-SACD" on the front page, so it will decode DSD internally, ie compatible with my Oppo980 DSD transport. The same is not to be found on the SR8002 page so i doubt they will share the same DACs. Now remind me where in China is their labor camp located?

I hope it will get Wolfsons

My system:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #184 of 3466 Old 04-05-2008, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule View Post

One encouraging thing about the DACs is that the product page lists "DSD-SACD" on the front page, so it will decode DSD internally, ie compatible with my Oppo980 DSD transport. The same is not to be found on the SR8002 page so i doubt they will share the same DACs. Now remind me where in China is their labor camp located?

Well, it could use the same DACs, since as I understand it the 8002 uses Cirrus CS4382A DACs, which already do have DSD decoding capability according to the data sheet. Seems like a really good chip - fast, low noise, low jitter.
post #185 of 3466 Old 04-06-2008, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule View Post

Be careful what you ask for - does Wolfson make a DAC that does DSD natively - not too long ago I thought they didn't?

Dave
post #186 of 3466 Old 04-06-2008, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scervin View Post

Agree, but street difference is about $1000. I just want a little more info on the scaler being used. I am expecting this unit to sound great for both 2 channel and multi.

Now will Marantz offer a BD transport like the Denon 2500? Staill waiting on the scaler to determine if I will get the BD8002 with the AV8003.

SC

I was at FSI2008 in Montreal. They had the AV and MM in Shell Case only and they had their Blu-ray Player, only shell too. The rep told my friend that they all going to be released in about 90 days... The combo Amp + Pro will come to about 6000$CAD MSRP... the Bluray player is supposed to be around 1800$CAD... (it decode all codecs and is Profile 1.1)

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
post #187 of 3466 Old 04-06-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoohki View Post

I was at FSI2008 in Montreal. They had the AV and MM in Shell Case only and they had their Blu-ray Player, only shell too. The rep told my friend that they all going to be released in about 90 days... The combo Amp + Pro will come to about 6000$CAD MSRP... the Bluray player is supposed to be around 1800$CAD... (it decode all codecs and is Profile 1.1)

If those prices are right, the AV/MM Combo is more expencive in Canada, but the BD player are about 300 dollar cheeper.

I hope the AV/MM price is wrong, and the BD price is right for both Canada and the US.

EDIT: Do Marantz products normally let us dim down the display all the way off? Some does and some don't from other manufacturers

My Home Cinema:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #188 of 3466 Old 04-07-2008, 12:29 PM

My contact is in Japan overseeing some of the pre-production for these and their new products so answers may be forthcoming but slower than usual.

Richard
post #189 of 3466 Old 04-07-2008, 01:14 PM

Anyone know if HDCD is included in the AV8003?

Steven
post #190 of 3466 Old 04-08-2008, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Im very interested im the AV8003 and MM8003 combo!!!! How do you think this will compare to Denons 5308ci in terms of sound quality. Will it out perform in that area? Are the DACs better? the Denon 5308ci uses Burr-brown PCM1796 123db SNR DACs.

- Independent Dreams - IDStudios
post #191 of 3466 Old 04-08-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddgsx View Post

Im very interested im the AV8003 and MM8003 combo!!!! How do you think this will compare to Denons 5308ci in terms of sound quality. Will it out perform in that area? Are the DACs better? the Denon 5308ci uses Burr-brown PCM1796 123db SNR DACs.

That's an interesting question as they pretty much the same MSRP.
We just waiting more deailed SPEC from 8003 combo.
post #192 of 3466 Old 04-08-2008, 01:25 PM

i would give my opinion but half of everyone on the forum would hate me.

Richard
post #193 of 3466 Old 04-08-2008, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

id like to hear your opinion , PM me if you want. Or drop a post and see what happens , lol

post #194 of 3466 Old 04-08-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:

id like to hear your opinion , PM me if you want. Or drop a post and see what happens , lol

Common Richard, me too
Nothing wrong with personal preferences, either based on the facts or not.
For me 5308 is a flagship Receiver right now for 5200$ MSRP, if you add cost of the XLR cables to 8003 combo it's the same price. Should we see the SPEC of the 8003 close to 5308? Will AV8003 have The same Realta HQV processing? Time will tell. I see some bugs there as well,hope they will be fixed.
Right now , 5308 probably wins with 6 HDMI, 10w/ch more (but not big deal),USB,other things in SPEC are unkown. If you need more HDMI inputs you will spend another ~300$ on 8003. But cosmetically Marantz looks better than Denon (for me) and it fit my HTPC case Silverstone CW02B. I wouldn't buy 8003 just because it has a nice case , but if SPECs about the same I'd prefer Marantz.
Richard - your turn - 2 options: register here with name "ImnotRichard" or send PM
post #195 of 3466 Old 04-08-2008, 06:33 PM

I'll PM people, but for me, and this goes for both Marantz and Denon, it's all about the sound. I don't care about features (save for the latest codecs) it needs to sound great and enveloping. Wrap me up in surround and I'm happy.

Richard
post #196 of 3466 Old 04-08-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSRichard View Post

I'll PM people, but for me, and this goes for both Marantz and Denon, it's all about the sound. I don't care about features (save for the latest codecs) it needs to sound great and enveloping. Wrap me up in surround and I'm happy.

Richard

Well, this is politically correct answer
Probably for most people features will be equal to money spend, otherwise we can get good sound receiver (put your AVR favorite name here) for less than 2K.
post #197 of 3466 Old 04-09-2008, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Richard

I feel the same way Rich , If the Marantz has really good DACs than im in with purchasing this combo. I think it would be a huge difference in sound quality from my denon 4306. My speakers a definitive technology BP7002 , clr2500 and studio monitor 350s. I think the def techs will perform better! be more enveloping. I do alot more movie watching.

What are good XLR cables to go with this combo. I dont want to spend more on cables than the unit. Impact acoustics has some for 30 dollars each. and audio quest has some for 1500.00 a pair. Im new to the XLR cables, whats the best bang for the buck cables? is it like hdmi where it doesnt matter?

post #198 of 3466 Old 04-09-2008, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

What are good XLR cables to go with this combo. I dont want to spend more on cables than the unit. Impact acoustics has some for 30 dollars each. and audio quest has some for 1500.00 a pair. Im new to the XLR cables, whats the best bang for the buck cables? is it like hdmi where it doesnt matter?

I use "Dayton Audio" balanced cables (Parts Express) between my Sunfire Pre/Pro and Sunfire Amp, and have been very happy with them. They aren't much to look at, but give good results and are an incredible value. They can be found Here.

I have also considered these as an upgrade because of the Gold plated connectors and better cable. AND because I'm curious if I will hear a difference.

I should add that I have not had any esoteric cables in my system (All from Parts Express), FWIW.

Regards,
Karl
post #199 of 3466 Old 04-09-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchenry View Post

I use "Dayton Audio" balanced cables (Parts Express) between my Sunfire Pre/Pro and Sunfire Amp, and have been very happy with them. They aren't much to look at, but give good results and are an incredible value. They can be found Here.

I have also considered these as an upgrade because of the Gold plated connectors and better cable. AND because I'm curious if I will hear a difference.

I should add that I have not had any esoteric cables in my system (All from Parts Express), FWIW.

I never used XLR cables as well, but it looks 27$ x7 (or 8) = 189$ or 216$.
Not sure if those better, but 8 channels available for 40$:
http://www.lenexpo-electronics.com/8...p-1-c-354.html
post #200 of 3466 Old 04-09-2008, 12:35 PM

I use Ethereal for XLR.

Richard
post #201 of 3466 Old 04-09-2008, 01:06 PM

I keep getting asked to quantify my opinion, which is fine. Let me tell you where I get my preference for what sounds right to me, and this doesn't really have anything to do with brand name (aside from surround format at times).

My grandfather served in WWII in the Pacific and has oak clusters for his bravery in action. I'm also a guy so I like war movies.

Well when Saving Private Ryan came out, I went to see it for a few reasons. I'd heard it was the closest thing to "being in the Theater" in terms of conveying the horrific brutality of it all, and it was a thank you for Speilberg's father and all who served. I also loved war movies.

Nothing could prepare me for that movie. My brother in law and I were scheduled to tee off for 9 holes a bit after the movie ended and it was going to be the perfect day. Movies and golf with the brother in law.

The first time I saw the movie it was in Dolby Digital, trailer and all. I didn't speak for two days. I was horrified, sad, angry and out-of-sorts. The only words my brother in law said were "Do you want to cancel golf?" I just nodded. That movie crushed me. And while I relaize there is NO comparison to being there then or now, I'm a better person for having seen it.

I ended up going four times in the theater, one to take my wife so she understood why I didn't speak for two days and other friends the other times because I told him it would change his outlook on war. DTS was used the other two times and Dolby the last.

*****DISCLAIMER****** this is just MY opinion.

This is perhaps the best soundtrack I've ever heard including music and effects. Same applies tot he DTS DVD.

My experience in the theater was that Dolby put me in teh movie, but the DTS soundtrack was palpable. It was if there wasn't just sound in my ears, but sound against me. As if it was a tangible, physical presence. And while I do not wish to shortchange the movie for what it is and was for me, I did notice the surround each time as I had grown into the hobby and sound matters. Bullets left a vapor trail of sound and when they waded through the water, I felt the sound waves crash against me. It wasn't just bass. It was the complete presentation.

To say Kaminski's cinematography let me see the horrors unfold before mine own eyes, is to say the surround mix put me with them.

To this day I am hesitant to watch the movie. Sadly because it's a great movie and has one of the best surround tracks in existence. But I do watch in honor of my Grandfather and everyone else who fought, served both then and now. This is not a political statement, just one from my heart.

The DTS encode surpassed any other commercial theater experience and set the bar for me in terms of sound reproduction in my home. That experience, whether it comes from a Dolby or DTS soundtrack is what I try to replicate at home. Do I have my dream system? No. But my benchmark is the same. If the magic of sound at the movies can wrap around me and become my blanket, no matter what the genre and subject matter then that is what I will pay money for.

Some companies just happen to hit it more often than others. Pre-pros and amp combos more often than receivers.

For me.

Richard
post #202 of 3466 Old 04-09-2008, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I get that enveloping sometimes with my Denon 4306 and DEF TECH speakers. But i keep asking myself if i go PRE/PRO AMP combo will it be even better!! Marantz Reputation , Marantz 5000.00 compared to denons 12,000.00 seperates. Slick styling. My opinion , who cares about upconvert technology. My DVDO VP50 is overated, i cant tell that much from my Tivo series 3 upconverting DVR.

Marantz has me sold , i just hope they use better DACs than the denon 5308ci

post #203 of 3466 Old 04-09-2008, 03:28 PM

Richard, I think I know exactly how you feel. When you hear the words that "War is Hell", that film puts you in the middle of that Hell. I salute your grandfather and all those that served in combat. The visual and especially the audio effort that went into the making of that film was exceptional. I personally, strive to get the best componets that I can afford (and sometimes can't afford). And as a musician I try to get that live band in the room sound, or the movie engages you and sucks you in sound. To me, that's what this hobby is about, trying to get the best synergy between your componets, interconnects and speaker cables. They all have to work in harmony, or you are just spinning your wheels in the snow. That said, I am hoping that the new Marantz units don't disappoint. I have an older model Marantz SR-18EX receiver that I'm totally happy with, but willing to upgrade if there is a sonic improvement. It's an addictive downfall of mine, thinking that there is always room for improvement. But then again, I've been told I need help :-)

Cheers,
Elisha
post #204 of 3466 Old 04-09-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1sy View Post

I never used XLR cables as well, but it looks 27$ x7 (or 8) = 189$ or 216$.
Not sure if those better, but 8 channels available for 40$:
http://www.lenexpo-electronics.com/8...p-1-c-354.html

Those look interesting and a good value.

When I have some disposable income I may buy and audition some higher priced cables to see if they improve my system. BUT, I am a skeptic when it comes to cables

Regards,
Karl
post #205 of 3466 Old 04-09-2008, 06:35 PM

Well said, Richard. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Karl
post #206 of 3466 Old 04-10-2008, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Any release dates on this combo?

post #207 of 3466 Old 04-10-2008, 06:14 AM

Still June, though I'll have a more accurate picture for you when my contact gets back.

Richard
post #208 of 3466 Old 04-10-2008, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Still June, though I'll have a more accurate picture for you when my contact gets back.

Richard

Thanx for the quick reply , Wheres the best place to purchase it at a fair price? Ive never purchased a Marantz product before. And im sure they dont blow them out on ebay like the Denons do. On ebay , you can save over 1200.00 if you buy a Denon 5308. Thats alot off retail. Whats the info on buying Marantz products? Thanks

post #209 of 3466 Old 04-10-2008, 06:40 AM

You've got a PM.

Richard
post #210 of 3466 Old 04-10-2008, 01:17 PM

Dealers can now place orders for this with Marantz. If you need information let me know and I'll try to help you out.

Those who have the info, you're all clear to go.

Richard
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av8003 Networking Preamplifier , Marantz Mm8003 Power Amplifier
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page