Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K announced! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1743 Old 02-28-2008, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That nice little USB port makes me think of cancelling my 663 preorder and wait for June.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1743 Old 02-28-2008, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelike2 View Post

Did everyone notice that nice little USB port on the front? You have to step up to the Elite 94 for that feature. Sure opens up some interesting possiblities.

Wow! Good eye, I hadn't seen that. That clinches it for me. I had been thinking of getting their dvd player with the usb input on the front, but this takes care of that. Score another one for this receiver.

bg
post #63 of 1743 Old 02-28-2008, 02:52 PM

I'm curious at to what type of interface/control you will have from the USB port. This could be a great feature. The review I read in a magazine raved about this feature on the Elite 94TXH.

Is it June yet?
post #64 of 1743 Old 02-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

As I recall the USB port on the front is labled "ipod Direct" for connecting and controlling an ipod for playback on the AV system.
post #65 of 1743 Old 03-01-2008, 05:41 PM

I sent an email to the Pioneer rep asking for specs and photos of this receiver. If I receive any additional information I will be sure to post. I'm really interested is seeing the back of the unit.
post #66 of 1743 Old 03-04-2008, 07:22 AM

To be upfront, I am a novice, I am planning my first AV system so my knowledge isn't the best but I do understand the technology coming out.

I've put on order the Harman Kardon HKTS18 speaker set, I have the PS3 which I use as a DVD player and now I'm narrowing down a receiver. Up until last week, I was set on the Sony STR-GD910, then I read about the new Yamaha coming out, now I read about this one. Originally, one of my concerns with the Sony and the Yamaha's were that the watts supplied by the receiver don't cover the watts of the speakers (they are 120 watt max), if I turn them up loud, I don't want the receiver to run hot or be damaged. Now would I use them that loud? Probably not, but I don't know where the threshold would be. Now, with the Pioneer 1018, it solves that due to the increased power output. Currently, my 50" TV doesn't support HDMI however the TV is on the way out so I want to build a system for the future.

I don't want to wait longer than required to put it all together but I am willing to wait to get the most bang for the buck and the 1018 looks to be the winner. What are your expert opinions on the Pioneer sound of previous receivers vs those of the Yamahas and the Sonys? I asked this because there are no reviews obviously of the Yamaha and the Pioneer since they're not out yet. Are they minimal difference between the 3? Does one sound more tinnier than the others?

Net: Do you recommend waiting until June for this receiver with the setup I will have? And will it be worthwhile for longevity of the receiver to wait for this new HD decoder technology? I am thinking yes. Thank you for shedding any light on my concerns.
post #67 of 1743 Old 03-04-2008, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
After two miserable failures dealing with Onkyo and two dead 805's, I think I'm going to try and exhibit some patience and wait for this receiver.

Besides having a similar spec sheet and reduced cost, I'm looking for a warmer AVR to pair with my brighter Klipsch speakers. It just seems I must be missing something here when comparing this unit to the Elite 92....A sleek front panel can't be worth $600 can it?!

Avarice
post #68 of 1743 Old 03-04-2008, 08:08 AM

I wouldn't get too worked up about speaker wattage ratings. They are pretty much useless and are used by marketers to sell their products. The key specs for speakers are sensitivity and ohm ratings.

I've never owned a Sony so I have no comment on their receivers. I have owned Yamaha and Elite receivers. Although both are nice products, I personally prefer the Elites. To me, they have a more natural ease of sound to them. The Yamahas are more detailed.

What type of sound do you like? I do not know what to expect with the 1018 as far as how it sounds compared to the Elites. But for the $, it may be worth a try.
post #69 of 1743 Old 03-04-2008, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I'm one of those rare folks who values home theater sound quality over 2-channel music quality.

I've heard many say the same as you, that the Yammy's are more detailed and Pioneer's have a more natural sound to them. I use Klipsch speakers with their tractix horns which can be overly bright, so I'd think that pairing them with the Pioneer would sort of hedge the effect. However, being that home theater is my primary use I'd hate to lose out on any detail in the soundtracks.

The speakers are highly efficient at 91db sensitivity, so the power isn't too big an issue. But it's nice to be overpowered and you never know when the new speaker bug will bite!

Avarice
post #70 of 1743 Old 03-04-2008, 09:28 AM

These are the kinds of things I'm not the most knowledgable. The specs of the speakers are:

Impedance: 8 ohms nominal
Sensitivity: 86dB @ 1 watt/1 meter

In terms of what kind of sound I want, I'd like crisp clear sound with a fair bit of bass. However, I'm sure I'm not as picky as a lot of "audiophiles" here. I'm coming from never owning surround sound or a system at all to this. So either way I'm sure I'll be very pleased.

My concern is having the latest technology within budget to be compatible for later purchases, which is why I'm looking at 1.3 hdmi and the new decoders. I'm not the type that would be able to hear the VERY subtle differences. However, I do care if I start hearing crackling or tinny sounds. If they're crisp and clear (and when explosions go off, some shaking), I'm going to be happy. I know HK makes solid equipment and I'm getting a deal on these speakers, it's a matter of finding the best matched receiver for me. In terms of specs, I'm leaning towards the Pioneer 1018, I just wanted to know if their previous ones are solid.

Thanks.
post #71 of 1743 Old 03-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

I have been using Pioneer receivers for many years and have had no problem of any kind with any of them. I really am very happy with my present one and the sound and function is great but would like the HDMI for the HD audios now available so will be going to the 1018 as soon as it comes out. The other nice thing about Pioneer the resale is very good and even after 5 years I still have gotten about 50% of my original investment when I sold them.
post #72 of 1743 Old 03-04-2008, 10:28 AM

The impedance rating is pretty easy on an amp but that sensitivity rating is on the low side. The lower the sensitivity the harder the amp works. I still think you will be fine with a decent quality receiver. You may want to take a look at the new Yamaha RX-V663 that is releasing soon. It may be more to your liking.
post #73 of 1743 Old 03-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Location: Living among the children of the corn in Oxford, (S.E.), PA.
I've been waiting on the 1018 in order to upgrade my 912D for the new HD sound modes. But recently saw the Yamie 663 which looks comparable, and it had dual sub outlets, which is a feature I want. I don't mind giving up a little power as I drive front 3 speakers with an Acurus A200x3 amp. anyway.

Does anyone know if the 1018 has dual sub capability?

The link in the 1st post no longer works.

"The Bundys' proud name was built on a philosophy of lying. Well, lying, owing money and perhaps beer. Yes, lying, owing money and beer. The only thing that separates us from the Kennedys is that they have money." - Al Bundy
post #74 of 1743 Old 03-04-2008, 11:46 AM

I didn't see anything in the preliminary specs about dual sub outs. I use a Y adapter for that purpose. I also use a 5ch Rotel amp and will only use the back surround amps in the 1018 if I decide to purchase. I'm also torn between the 1018 and the 663. I really would like the 92TXH but it's out of my price range and the 1018 looks to be very close.
post #75 of 1743 Old 03-04-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:

The impedance rating is pretty easy on an amp but that sensitivity rating is on the low side. The lower the sensitivity the harder the amp works. I still think you will be fine with a decent quality receiver. You may want to take a look at the new Yamaha RX-V663 that is releasing soon. It may be more to your liking.

Isn't there more power in the new Pioneer 1018 than the Yamaha 663? If it's lower on the sensitivity and thus harder on the amp, wouldn't it more sense to get the 1018 since it's output is 130 w/ch vs only the 95 w/ch of the Yamaha?
post #76 of 1743 Old 03-04-2008, 12:20 PM

Don't forget the Elite 92 has been out for awhile and with the likes of Onkyo already unloading their current line, Pioneer has to try and stay competitive, obviously the 1018TXH is one way of doing that.
post #77 of 1743 Old 03-04-2008, 02:59 PM

On paper, it looks like the Pioneer has more power than the Yamaha. On Yamaha's web site, they do not provide much detail on how they measure the amps. There is little information on the Pioneer as well. If you feel your speakers will be underpowered, then go with the Pioneer for sure.

You may want to check out this thread on amp ratings.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=power+ratings
post #78 of 1743 Old 03-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I didn't see anything in the preliminary specs about dual sub outs. I use a Y adapter for that purpose. I also use a 5ch Rotel amp and will only use the back surround amps in the 1018 if I decide to purchase. I'm also torn between the 1018 and the 663. I really would like the 92TXH but it's out of my price range and the 1018 looks to be very close.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any mention of pre-outs on this model.

If it has them, I will cancel my $400 pre-order for the Yamaha V663 as the pioneer has 3 HDMI inputs.

DOES it have pre outs?
post #79 of 1743 Old 03-05-2008, 09:27 AM

The 1017 it replaces has pre-outs. It better have them!
post #80 of 1743 Old 03-05-2008, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

wouldn't it more sense to get the 1018 since it's output is 130 w/ch vs only the 95 w/ch of the Yamaha?

All else equal, that wattage difference would amount to about a decibel increase. Gotta double just to get 3dB. I wouldn't worry too much about the wattage when choosing.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #81 of 1743 Old 03-05-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etcarroll View Post

The link in the 1st post no longer works.

Still no pics of the rear, but I think this is the same page with updated URL:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...f+Home+Theater
post #82 of 1743 Old 03-05-2008, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
The manuals for the 1017 and 9120 (referenced earlier in this thread) say the following with respect to crossover:

"Crossover Network:
This setting decides the cutoff between bass sounds playing back from the speakers selected as LARGE, or the subwoofer, and bass sounds playing back from those selected as SMALL. It also decides where the cutoff will be for bass sounds in the LFE channel."

The last sentence suggests to me that these receivers suffer from the LFE hole problem, wherein setting a crossover chucks away/rolls off the upper part (> crossover point) of the LFE channel sent to the subwoofer.

For more, see

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=991439

Does anyone know whether these receivers suffer from the problem? If so, I suspect it will be the case for the 1018 as well. I'd like to get a 1.3 receiver that does not have this issue.
post #83 of 1743 Old 03-05-2008, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

So, what we're talking about is missing LFE (not redirected bass) between, say, 80Hz and 120Hz? Is there any way to know how many LFE tracks have stuff that high?

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #84 of 1743 Old 03-05-2008, 01:21 PM

I'm not too worried about LFE above 80Hz. I image there is very little if any LFE in this range. That's not a deal breaker for me.
post #85 of 1743 Old 03-05-2008, 05:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

The major difference I see between this and the 94 Elite is that the elite allows you to use the USB port to play music and also has the ethernet connection to allow you to play music files off any PC on your network. Nice options but not sure if its worth $1300 more just for that and a nicer face plate (I'm not even sure what I'm doing looking at the 94 either my R-965 is still fine but I thought I'd chime in)

Cheers
Calvin
post #86 of 1743 Old 03-05-2008, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post

So, what we're talking about is missing LFE (not redirected bass) between, say, 80Hz and 120Hz?

Yes, if the crossover is set at 80Hz. But see my question below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post

Is there any way to know how many LFE tracks have stuff that high?

We could ask the people in the waterfall thread to do measurements only on the LFE channel.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=755493

Quote:

I'm not too worried about LFE above 80Hz. I image there is very little if any LFE in this range. That's not a deal breaker for me.

What if one wants to set a crossover at 60Hz?
post #87 of 1743 Old 03-06-2008, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any word on release date?

Twitter @ Clefoodandbrews

post #88 of 1743 Old 03-06-2008, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon_templar_32 View Post

Yes, if the crossover is set at 80Hz. But see my question below.

We could ask the people in the waterfall thread to do measurements only on the LFE channel.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=755493

What if one wants to set a crossover at 60Hz?

Just looking to clarify the issue. Let us know if waterfalls reveal anything.
Which receivers are you certain do not do this?

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #89 of 1743 Old 03-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

I emailed JR's this morning as to when they would accept a preorder....no answer yet, I'm ready to pull the trigger. On a side note what Blu-Ray player would you fellow listers recommend to take advantage of the VSX-1018TXH-K .
Thanks
post #90 of 1743 Old 03-06-2008, 11:29 AM

I'm personally looking at the Panny BD-50 when it comes out in the next few months.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page