Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K announced! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1743 Old 01-06-2008, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pioneer has announced their new line of non-elite AVRs. It looks like the 1018TXH-K will support HDMI 1.3a and decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA internally. Release for the 1018 is slotted for June 2008 at $599:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...Home%20Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post

New Pioneer A/V Receivers Allows Consumers to Realize High Definition Era of Home Theater
LAS VEGAS, CES Booth #9827 1/6/2008

Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. today debuts four advanced A/V receivers that deliver dynamic high definition video and audio formats for next generation home theater performance. At the Consumer Electronics Show, Pioneer® is showcasing the VSX-518-K, VSX-818V-K, VSX-918V-K and VSX-1018TXH-K A/V receivers, which incorporate new proprietary amplifier technologies that ensure maximum power from multi-channel sound formats while maintaining clean audio with impressive THD specifications. Improved sound tuning and customization options along with an abundance of HD digital connectivity ports make it easy for consumers to usher their home entertainment into the HD era.

The VSX-1018TXH-K takes full advantage of HDMI® 1.3 high definition multimedia interface with the capability to transfer internally decoded Dolby® TrueHD, Dolby® Digital Plus , DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio formats to bring the entertainment experience full circle when viewing HD optical disc feature films.

“As consumers make the transition to HD audio video, improved amplifier design, high power output and highly advanced digital signal processing are now vital features of a receiver. Without these core capabilities, consumers who are rapidly adopting new uncompressed high resolution surround sound formats will miss out on the experience of dynamic high definition multi-channel audio,” said Dave Bales, marketing manager of audio products for the home entertainment division of Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. “The only way to ensure these entertainment junkies “hear the true difference” is with a quality A/V receiver that can process and reproduce the multitude of standard and high definition formats with clean high power output. Our new line of sophisticated Pioneer receivers offer an unprecedented feature set that will truly elevate the seeing and hearing experience for consumers.”

Powerful Amplification Technologies
Direct Energy Amplifier
With the VSX-1018TXH-K A/V receiver, Pioneer features its Advanced Direct Energy power amplifier delivering ultra high power output that defines hearing like never before. Producing an impressive 130 watts x 7 channels, the Direct Energy Amplifier creates a wide range frequency response that makes it ideal for reproducing new high resolution audio formats. With this proprietary amplifier design, Pioneer’s engineers have found the key to managing the wide fluctuations in heat that can significantly alter the overall audio performance of each of the discrete amplified channels. By utilizing a new temperature compensation circuitry of the temperature fluctuations are effectively minimized between channels to maintain high quality audio from all connected devices. The Direct Energy amplifier also features a low impedance, high current and compact circuit design to maximize performance in the critical output stages.
-more-
Pioneer Brings to Market Four New A/V Receivers at CES 2008 / pg. 2

P.H.A.T – Pioneer Hybrid Amplifier technology
With this new line, Pioneer is incorporating its newly developed Pioneer Hybrid Amplifier Technology (P.H.A.T.) power module that improves fundamental audio to a more powerful and accurate performance designed to exceed the capabilities of current comparably priced A/V receivers in the market. Featured in the VSX-518-K, VSX-818V-K, VSX-918V-K A/V receivers, P.H.A.T amplifiers are painstakingly engineered with hand-selected parts and critical listening sound tuning to ensure the entire range of audio from music and soundtracks is delivered.

In addition, the new models will benefit from temperature compensation technology that prevents temperature fluctuations from affecting output that can distort surround sound performance. With P.H.A.T., the new receivers produce a whopping 120 watts x 5 channel power output with an impressive .05% THD specification (1kHz, 8ohm). The new P.H.A.T amplifiers are further improved by utilizing smaller power modules minimizing internal and external electromagnetic interferences.

Customized Digital Sound
Taking full advantage of its audio heritage, Pioneer pushes the limits of its audio expertise with the inclusion of its renowned digital sound processing (DSP) capabilities that maximize surround sound performance. All four models utilize cutting edge sound tuning capabilities that discerning entertainment junkies will appreciate.

 Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration (MCACC) – Continuing to lead the industry with high resolution sound tuning, the VSX-818V-K, VSX-918V-K, and VSX-1018TXH-K receivers give users a customized audio performance from their movies and music. MCACC room calibration takes inventory of a room’s connected speakers then digitally fine tunes each one to balance out any room-induced acoustic inaccuracies. Listeners gain extremely accurate, robust sound that reaches the ear at precisely the right time, sound level and equalization. With the VSX-1018TXH-K, users can make additional subtle adjustments as well as save room tuning settings with the Advanced Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration (MCACC) feature.
 Sound Retriever Technology – The proliferation of portable players and satellite radio devices requires audio files be reduced in size - often at the expense of sound quality. In response, Pioneer’s proprietary Sound Retriever DSP technology is incorporated in all four models. The function works by “filling in” and compensating for the audio data removed from the compressed files (WMA, MP3, MPEG-4 AAC) for music playback that is near CD quality.
 Front Stage Surround Advance – Users limited in space can enjoy the full benefits of surround sound with all five speakers at the front of a room. By taking advantage of the receivers’ DSP technology, reconfiguring all five audio channels to the front right and left speakers is simple.
 Phase Control Bass Management – To ensure a low frequency (bass) sound source arrives at the listener’s ear position in sync with remaining multi-channel audio signals, Phase Control Management technology applies a bass management system that maintains soundtrack synchronization by effectively compensating for the phase lag inherent in 5.1 surround sound systems.

 Auto Level Control - Available in all four models, this brand new feature equalizes volume levels between portable audio tracks (i.e. MP3 player), connected sources as well as television channels and commercials. Analog sources connected to Pioneer’s receivers will maintain consistent sound performance eliminating the need for a user to constantly reach for their remote control and adjust the volume from various content and sources.
 Multi-Zone Audio – With the VSX-1018TXH-K, individuals in two separate rooms can enjoy audio from connected devices through the receiver. For example, while one user is viewing a movie in surround sound the main listening area, a second zone environment can enjoy a music CD, XM® and/or Sirius® satellite radio, iPod as well as any other analog source connected to the receiver. Multi-zone capability is an easy way for “do-it-yourself” multi-zone music distribution and is a key feature for those who wish to have a full custom installation application.

High Definition Centerpiece
Pioneer’s top three models offer robust high definition connectivity options for nearly every home theater component. HDMI video switching allows consumers to realize cutting edge entertainment with quick, smooth toggling between video sources (DVD, Blu-ray Disc®, video game, etc.) without impacting picture or sound performance.

The VSX-918V-K and VSX-1018TXH-K models take complete advantage of HDMI connectivity with a full feature set including, HDMI A/V repeaters to output compressed 5.1, stereo as well as Linear PCM (LPCM) high resolution audio for ultimate surround sound when viewing HD optical discs. With HDMI Lip Sync, both receivers are able to eliminate processing delays of standard and high definition content ensuring audio and video signals are synchronized and delivered at the simultaneously to improve the movie viewing experience. The VSX-1018TXH-K allows consumers to explore the ultimate HD picture with HDMI Deep Color that supports 10-bit, 12-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths, increased from the 8-bit depths in previous versions of the HDMI specification. The VSX-818V-K offers HDMI video switching for uncompromised 1080p connectivity and performance.

Each receiver offers full sound processing of Dolby® Digital, DTS® and Windows Media Audio 9 Professional™ formats for supreme audio playback of movies, home movies, portable music and more.

Entertainment Connected
Recognizing the transition of mobile to in-home listening of satellite radio, Pioneer’s top three receivers offer dedicated connectivity ports for both XM Connect & Play™ and SiriusConnect™ antennas (both sold separately; monthly subscription needed). Once connected, complete access and control of both SIRIUS and XM devices are easy with the receiver’s remote control and full on-screen display (OSD) capability.

Listeners can relax and enjoy the crystal-clear programming from each provider. The top three Pioneer A/V receivers also provide immediate "plug and play" enjoyment of iPod® music content via a front panel digital USB port. With iPod Digital, the receivers are compatible with the iPod’s connector cable eliminating the need for a separate dock while maintaining functionality.
Pioneer Brings to Market Four New A/V Receivers at CES 2008 / pg. 4

The iPod can be fully controlled with the unit’s remote control and OSD capability allowing users to navigate and share their playlists.

The Pioneer VSX-518, VSX-818 and VSX-918 A/V receivers will be available in April 2008 for suggested prices of $199, $249 and $349, respectively. The Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K will begin shipping in June 2008 for a suggested price of $599.

Pioneer’s Home Entertainment and Business Solutions Group develops high definition home theater equipment for discerning entertainment junkies. Its flat panel televisions, Blu-ray Disc players, A/V receivers and speakers bring a new level of emotion to the HD experience. The company brands include Pioneer and Elite®. When purchased from an authorized retailer, consumers receive a limited warranty for one year with Pioneer products and two years with Pioneer Elite products. More details can be located at www.pioneerelectronics.com.

PIONEER, the PIONEER logo, the ELITE logo and PureVision are registered trademarks of the Pioneer Corporation.
HDMI, the HDMI logo and High-Definition Multimedia Interface are trademarks or registered trademarks of HDMI Licensing LLC.
DOLBY and the double-D symbol are registered trademarks of Dolby Laboratories.
DTS and DTS Digital Surround are registered trademarks of DTS, Inc.
iPod is a trademark of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
XM is a registered trademark of XM Satellite Radio Inc.

VSX-1018TXH-K Specifications:

Direct Energy Amplifier
130 watts x 7 amplification
Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration w/ microphone
Dolby Digital
Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby TrueHD
DTS
DTS 96/24
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
DTS-HD Master Audio
WMA9 Pro
Video Conversion to HDMI
1080p HDMI 1.3 inputs - 3 in
1080p Component inputs - 3 in, 1 out
Digital inputs/outputs - 6/1
iPod Digital
Auto Level Control (ALC)
XM Satellite Radio
Sirrius Satellite Radio
Suggested Price - $599 US
Availability - June 2008

Live GT: Destructorbot PSN: BassTek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1743 Old 01-06-2008, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Basstek,

Thanks for the post. I have a 1015 and have been looking at upgrading for 1.3 audio. Love it for its price point. Will now look at the 1018. I'm searching for a picture. Have you found one? I can not.

Edit: Just found one.

http://ces.cnet.com/8300-13855_1-67-...=VSX-1018TXH-K

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #3 of 1743 Old 01-06-2008, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the link to the image, I added it to the main post. Interesting there's no mention of THX anywhere, I guess they dropped it to keep the cost down. It's nice to finally see HDMI audio support in their non-elite receivers, the pass-through HDMI of the last few years kept me from going with 1016 and 1017 models.

post #4 of 1743 Old 01-06-2008, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Basstek....

I am having a hard time moving away from my 1015. Sounds great, looks great with the fold down flap, etc. One of the reasons I'm looking at the Yamaha 1800/3800 is the appearance of the units. The 1018 looks pretty sharp. Has all the advanced audio features I will need. Only problem is June release date. Going to be awhile for them to come out and for their price to drop.

I wonder if it has phono? Yes, I have vinyl.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #5 of 1743 Old 01-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Nice Time to upgrade my old Elite AVR!

-The Dave
----Check my QUAD 18" Fi IB Build Thread!! (DONE) King of the 400 lb Gorilla
post #6 of 1743 Old 01-06-2008, 05:11 PM

Liked: 11
Looks like it's finally time to upgrade the 1015. I'm not happy about the missing front door also but it the convenience of HDMI switching & new audio format decoding is to hard to pass up.
post #7 of 1743 Old 01-06-2008, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
these new receivers are PHAT lol
post #8 of 1743 Old 01-06-2008, 05:59 PM

Any word on when we will be hearing about any ELITE changes for 08?

I Golf
post #9 of 1743 Old 01-06-2008, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Finally, a possible worthy update to my 1014. I have been waiting for hdmi 1.3 so this is great news
post #10 of 1743 Old 01-06-2008, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
well the current elite has a problem decoding 7.1 dts-hd, its only gettting 5.1. Hopefully they fix that problem then this should be worth buying.
post #11 of 1743 Old 01-06-2008, 10:01 PM

maybe you guys will know, do you believe the 918 will carry hdmi audio?
post #12 of 1743 Old 01-07-2008, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member

I wonder what the audio will sound like.
post #13 of 1743 Old 01-07-2008, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRonMexico View Post

maybe you guys will know, do you believe the 918 will carry hdmi audio?

Doesn't look like it:

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-13855_1-984....html?tag=head
post #14 of 1743 Old 01-07-2008, 12:35 PM

Can Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K pass 1080p (including 1080p/24)?

I have a Pioneer Plasma 5070 and I would need that.
post #15 of 1743 Old 01-07-2008, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What about pre outs.

post #16 of 1743 Old 01-07-2008, 12:44 PM

It should since it's HDMI 1.3 and upscales to 1080p. I'm curious as to why you need 1080p when you have a 720p panel? Your 5070 is just going to downscale it to it's 720p native resolution.
post #17 of 1743 Old 01-07-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haevolution View Post

It should since it's HDMI 1.3 and upscales to 1080p. I'm curious as to why you need 1080p when you have a 720p panel? Your 5070 is just going to downscale it to it's 720p native resolution.

Well my TV accepts the 1080p/24 singal.

Example when I play a Blu-Ray movie on my PS3 the TV says 1080P in the display.
post #18 of 1743 Old 01-07-2008, 01:12 PM

My guess is still yes, maybe Pio's press release covers it - maybe not:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...f+Home+Theater
post #19 of 1743 Old 01-07-2008, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
As someone who wanted a Pioneer, but couldn't spring for an Elite model, this is very exciting. The 1018 looks to fix all of the 1017 drawbacks (namely the no audio via HDMI). We probably won't know for awhile, but I wonder if the 1018 can matrix 5.1 PCM to 7.1? I can only hope!
post #20 of 1743 Old 01-07-2008, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gate1975mlm View Post

Can Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K pass 1080p (including 1080p/24)?

I have a Pioneer Plasma 5070 and I would need that.

The fact that it supports HDMI 1.3 means it will support 1080p. As to 1080p/24 that is a good question. I would guess the answer is yes but I cannot say for sure. I imagine if the source supports it the receiver will pass it.

post #21 of 1743 Old 01-07-2008, 01:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Nice price point. Anyone know if it has S-Video input? I know, old fashioned. I have a buttload of DirecTiVos and they output on S-Video.

Jerry the HT Nut
post #22 of 1743 Old 01-10-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Nut View Post

Nice price point. Anyone know if it has S-Video input? I know, old fashioned. I have a buttload of DirecTiVos and they output on S-Video.

from c/net

Quote:

UPDATE: We have confirmed with Pioneer that these receivers do not have S-Video inputs.

post #23 of 1743 Old 01-11-2008, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Odd that they would cut all the S-Video inputs. They could have at least kept 1 or 2 around just in case.

post #24 of 1743 Old 01-11-2008, 07:01 AM

Man I really want this. I have 1 1015 and 1 1016. I really want this though. Not sure I can wait till June. I'm wanting some of the newer featrues sooner.
post #25 of 1743 Old 01-11-2008, 10:21 AM

Nice. I was considering the VSX-92TXH but this has pretty much what I want (3 HDMI 1.3 ins, new audio decoding, and decent power). Hopefully it has at least 3 optical ins (preferrably 4), sounds good, and has no bugs. I wonder if it has 7.1 analog? I saw no mention of 5.1 analog but I would guess that it has at least that.
post #26 of 1743 Old 01-11-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Attachment 98737

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #27 of 1743 Old 01-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezagenius View Post

Nice. I was considering the VSX-92TXH but this has pretty much what I want (3 HDMI 1.3 ins, new audio decoding, and decent power). Hopefully it has at least 3 optical ins (preferrably 4), sounds good, and has no bugs. I wonder if it has 7.1 analog? I saw no mention of 5.1 analog but I would guess that it has at least that.

I was looking at the 92 as well. This is what I have been waiting for! I believe it does have 7.1 input.

-The Dave
----Check my QUAD 18" Fi IB Build Thread!! (DONE) King of the 400 lb Gorilla
post #28 of 1743 Old 01-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

They currently have the VSX-9120TXH in their lineup that already decodes the lossless sound formats over HDMI (though only a meager two in). But I haven't seen any user comments about it. The VSX-1018TXH-K looks nice, and less expensive too!

XBOX Live / PSN: Choocheroo
post #29 of 1743 Old 01-11-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haevolution View Post

I doubt it upscales/converts to 1080. That would mean its video is as good or better then the Elite 92/94.

Unless someone can point to specs that say it does, I don't believe it.
post #30 of 1743 Old 01-11-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso9001 View Post

I doubt it upscales/converts to 1080. That would mean its video is as good or better then the Elite 92/94.

Unless someone can point to specs that say it does, I don't believe it.

The tech sheet says "HDMI 1080p Video Scaler - HDMI 1.3 x 3". Sort of ambiguous. I personally don't need the upscaling but if it does a better job than my TV for non-1080p sources, that would be great.

It also doesn't appear to have any THX technology so that is a big difference in cost from the 92/94.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page