HDMI and pre/pros (AVRs) and switching vs *splitting* and audio and video - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-07-2008, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but this just occurred to me.

I plan to get one of the new HDMI pre/pros. It has 4 HDMI in, 1 out. So it works as a switcher. But I don't think that I want a switcher, I want an *optional* switcher: 4 in, 4 out. And then the ability to switch or not switch between ins and outs in the config software.

I don't want to use the pre/pro as a switcher because then I am stuck using one HDMI input on my display, so if I get it ISF'ed, the calibrator would have to calibrate for everything I have hooked up to that one input, rather than for each source independently.

OK, so I could just go direct from each source (DVD, BD, HD DVD, satellite) to the display. But then ... no HDMI audio.

So now I am going to have to go out from each player, *split* the HDMI line to the pre/pro for audio, and display for video. (Monoprice among other places have these splitters, luckily. They aren't too expensive either, and the people who know what they are doing don't seem to have many problems with them, i.e., handshake issues.)

Am I missing something? Maybe the next wave of pre/pros will have this ability? Or is everyone just using one HDMI input on their display and not worrying about any calibration differences between the sources?

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ... Something old and something new :-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-08-2008, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
A 4 in/4 out HDMI switch is called a matrix switch. AVRs do not usually provide that function. If you really need that, you should consider a seperate Gefen matrix switch or other high end HDMI equipment manufacturer. Matrix switches are usually expensive. Are you sure you really need 4 in/4 out? How many display devices do you have?

I use the Lumagen Radiance XD for video switching and video processing. It is many HDMI in and 2 out, but not a matrix switch, just two outputs with the same selected input. Much of the calibration is done in the XD.

Be very very careful of cheap HDMI splitters. Most often you will not get the results you want from them due to issues of how the HDMI protocol is specified.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-09-2008, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
4 in 4 out is just the example. HDMI is a different beast than what we are used to dealing with. Component is just video. S-video is just video. But HDMI is video *and* audio. For the best calibration, I've always held that each source needs its own input on the display so you can calibrate the display for each source individually. So I've always gone direct from each source to the display. But with HDMI we now *have* to go to the pre/pro for audio. But *switching* in the pre/pro negates being able to have a dedicated input for each source on the display. So, I believe that the pre/pro should give you the *option* to switch or not switch. But alas , none of them do now, so that's a where a splitter comes in.

So for people who use the HDMI switching in AVRs and pre/pros, they must somehow be calibrating for *all* the sources hooked up to the single input, which I believe is not the best way to do it.

For $20 it's an easy call to try a cheap splitter. I do plan to compare direct vs routing through the pre/pro vs with the splitter. Because HDMI is digital, I expect no difference in the picture ... as long as I can *get* a picture with HDCP and handshake issues.

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ... Something old and something new :-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page