HDMI In - Component Out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-09-2008, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've tried to research inexpensive receivers that will allow me to input HDMI from multiple devices (DirecTV stb and HD-DVD player specifically) and then output the video through either a component or DVI connection to my display. I am not having much luck.

Can anybody give any suggestions for if there is anything out there that does this? Unfortunately, my display does not have an HDMI input and my experiences with HDMI->DVI cables have been less than favorable (read: they didn't work with either the stb or the hd-dvd player). I'm pulling my hair out here as I'm limited to only two component inputs and one dvi on the television.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-09-2008, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 114
It's not a commonly desired feature, which means if anyone implements it, it's going to be at the high end of the scale. It's a non trivial feature, requiring an digital to analog video output stage. I wonder if you ran both HDMI and component video, and got an AVR with analog video downconversion if that would work.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 10 Old 01-09-2008, 11:16 AM

Adding to what Michael mentioned, HDMI is HDCP compliant, finding a device that will break this chain and output video content over an unprotected analogue interface is going to be very difficult. Why not consider an AVR with HDMI in and out and try a HDMI to DVI cable from blue jeans to your display?
post #4 of 10 Old 01-09-2008, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Yeah, that's right, I always forget about that factoid. Are there allowed scenarios such as 720p -> 480p or 480i?

Some people have reported issues with HDMI -> DVI, I don't know exactly what they were/are.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #5 of 10 Old 01-09-2008, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The long-ago-announced-but-yet-to-be-seen Sherwood Newcastle R-972 is supposed to have this feature but it won't be "inexpensive".
post #6 of 10 Old 01-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by DravenGSX View Post

I've tried to research inexpensive receivers that will allow me to input HDMI from multiple devices (DirecTV stb and HD-DVD player specifically) and then output the video through either a component or DVI connection to my display. I am not having much luck.

Can anybody give any suggestions for if there is anything out there that does this? Unfortunately, my display does not have an HDMI input and my experiences with HDMI->DVI cables have been less than favorable (read: they didn't work with either the stb or the hd-dvd player). I'm pulling my hair out here as I'm limited to only two component inputs and one dvi on the television.

DVI inputs on televisions were originally included as a way to connect PCs to TVs. As such, you MAY run into some issues.

First and foremost, you need to check your TV owner's manual and confirm that its DVI input is "HDCP" (i.e., copy protection) compliant. If it is, then you are likely good to go. Your receiver that sends out HDMI will require copy protection (HDCP compliance) on the TV it connects to. HDCP is part of HDMI, but is optional in DVI implementations.

You may also need to adjust the video setup a bit in the output of your receiver and in the input of your TV. DVI, by default, wants RGB data format for the video instead of YCbCr which is the default for HDMI. In addition, the DVI input on your TV should have a setting for whether you are using it to connect a computer or PC, or to connect a DVD player or set top box. You want the DVD player or set top box setting to make sure that the TV is expecting the gray scale encoding that your HDMI receiver will be sending out.

There is an automatic handshake when HDMI connects to DVI and the HDMI source device (your receiver) should do the right thing. But this automatic handshake doesn't work with some DVI TVs. So you may need to make the settings manually. Failure to get the RGB setting right will result in "shocking pink" video. Failure to get the Blacks setting right (DVD or set top box vs. PC) will result in bad gray scale ramps, usually seen as washed out dark portions of the image or loss of detail in the dark portions of the image.

In addition, DVI devices are not as tolerant of marginal cabling as HDMI devices. So you may need to get a better quality HDMI to DVI cable and also keep it short.

But with those provisos, you should be good to go with any of the modern receivers that output HDMI.

----------------------------------------------

It is a violation of the HDCP licensing terms for a manufacturer to make an HDMI product which converts copy protected HDMI input into Component (or any other analog video) output.

There are some black market products out there which will do this of course, but you won't find it in a name brand product.

Essentially all HDMI input of interest is copy protected.

So if your TV's DVI input is HDCP compliant, then using an HDMI to DVI cable from an HDMI output receiver is likely your best bet.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #7 of 10 Old 01-09-2008, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. That's what I was afraid of. My set's DVI input is HDCP compliant and the owners manual specifically states that I cannot connect a PC. Sounds like I should be good to go, but unfortunately the Tripp Lite HDMI-DVI cable that I tested didn't work. I have another high quality DVI cable that I can try an HDMI converter on. It just doesn't sound like it's worth the headache. Guess I'll have to settle with a receiver that splits component inputs until I can upgrade to one of those fancy flat panel jobbies.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by DravenGSX View Post

Thanks for the replies. That's what I was afraid of. My set's DVI input is HDCP compliant and the owners manual specifically states that I cannot connect a PC. Sounds like I should be good to go, but unfortunately the Tripp Lite HDMI-DVI cable that I tested didn't work. I have another high quality DVI cable that I can try an HDMI converter on. It just doesn't sound like it's worth the headache. Guess I'll have to settle with a receiver that splits component inputs until I can upgrade to one of those fancy flat panel jobbies.

Don't give up on HDMI to DVI so soon. There are PLENTY of people using setups just like that right now. It could be something as simple as that the HDMI side of the cable was not fully plugged in due to the weight of the cable pulling on it.

Also, some source devices need a special setting turned on to activate their HDMI output.

Check to make sure the resolution you are sending from the source device is one your TV will accept over HDMI (for example 480i input into a DVI TV is almost always a problem -- use 480p instead), and also turn off audio over HDMI output since the DVI input on your TV does not handle audio input.

It is almost always best to use an HDMI to DVI cable instead of an HDMI to HDMI cable with an HDMI/DVI adapter added at the DVI end.

The fact that your TV says its DVI input is NOT intended for computer connections is a GOOD THING. The odds go way up that HDMI to DVI should work fine into your TV once you find the combination of source and TV settings necessary to turn it on.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #9 of 10 Old 01-09-2008, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I've been running HDMI-DVI on my Mits CRT for 2 years now....no problems. Right now, I'm switching HDMI devices and then HDMI-DVI (Blue Jeans cable) from the switch to the CRT.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-14-2008, 12:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Somewhere on this site, there was mention of a HDMI to some other HD format (analog or maybe even digital firewire) and the speculation was that the manufacturer had obtained keys because that was the only way the unit could work. I'm trying to find that thread as I type this....

happy hunting
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page