HTR-5990 7.1 Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-09-2008, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Experts !

I got this unit for a pretty good price I think. To doorsetp with 3 years warranty for $490. Hopefully that wasn't a fools buy

yamaha.com has excellent detail, but I am not allowed to post link yet apparently.

I am hoping to connecting this via SPDIF with my media center PC. It is my understanding that at this time there is no stand alone sound card that does HDMI out with the exception of some radeon chipsets, and i am not interested in changing video cards

i am very new to this area of home theater. So I have some questions. I think this unit has HDMI, but only HDMI 1.2, not HDMI 1.3, althought I have conflicting information about that. What exactly am I losing for this ?
Also, as my TV signal comes in via Media Center PC I dont have to worry about that and the HTR-5990. What I am concerned about is this mostly. what speaks would be optimum for 20 x 20 room. There is very little possibility that I will be putting in 'drops' for speakers. but I am thinking a couple big speakers on either side and woofer somewhere in the middle

I would like to use some wireless options to have some additional speakers towards the opposit end of room. I have plenty of electrical outlets. As speakers are the last 'peice' of my system I need recommendations for something that will utilize the full 140 watts per speaker and will cost the absolute least possible. Can i just buy any set of speakers in any combination and still get all the benefits of the 7.1 designation. Even if I can pick up some really cheap on craigs list or eBay. What specifically should I be looking for when picking speakers.

I have read as much as I can in here and realize and very uneducated in this area, so all help is appreciated.

I also would like to connect an XBOX 360 or maybe a PS3 to the HTR-5990, but I anticipate any optical media would be played on PC and run through HDMI to LCD TV
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page