post #271 of 5844 Old 08-16-2008, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSp View Post

Sure wish it were possible to audition BOTH the Denon and the Classe to be able to "A/B" them, but while I do have a Classe dealer, none of the local Denon dealers will carry the AVP since they know that due to the economy, they cannot sell them.

Not selling them? Making them seems more of a problem for denon than selling them. I just waited more than 3 months for my avp+poa. I am sure not all dealers can/are allowed to sell the A1 line but they are selling trust me. Also the fact they upped the price in the states is not a sign they think selling them is their biggest problem.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 5844 Old 08-18-2008, 11:39 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

Not selling them? Making them seems more of a problem for denon than selling them. I just waited more than 3 months for my avp+poa. I am sure not all dealers can/are allowed to sell the A1 line but they are selling trust me. Also the fact they upped the price in the states is not a sign they think selling them is their biggest problem.Daniel.

Daniel unless you are a Classé follower you are going to ruffle feathers

I am looking forward to the SSP-800 and see if it delivers the goods but I will wait for them to provide the new codecs before I plug down $8K I work too hard to throw my money out the window
post #273 of 5844 Old 08-18-2008, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I am looking forward to the SSP-800 and see if it delivers the goods but I will wait for them to provide the new codecs before I plug down $8K I work too hard to throw my money out the window

I wish all these brands the best of luck. Classe will in the end make a unit that its followers will be happy to buy i am sure. Only pointed out that the avp's are selling not a little but alot. Unlike the 9.8 that is easy to get there is now a rather big waiting list, i know first hand

Infact i am following the sp800 and others simply to see how highend/low volume brands will handle all this new stuff.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #274 of 5844 Old 08-18-2008, 07:49 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

I wish all these brands the best of luck. Classe will in the end make a unit that its followers will be happy to buy i am sure. Only pointed out that the avp's are selling not a little but alot. Unlike the 9.8 that is easy to get there is now a rather big waiting list, i know first hand

Infact i am following the sp800 and others simply to see how highend/low volume brands will handle all this new stuff.

Daniel.

Wait for the Integra DTC 9.9 coming to Cedia in September much much better
post #275 of 5844 Old 08-29-2008, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's official, the SSP-800 is now shipping!

Kal, you can get with John now.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
post #276 of 5844 Old 08-29-2008, 02:56 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelMan View Post

It's official, the SSP-800 is now shipping

Right before CEDIA any news on the dates for hardware upgrades?
post #277 of 5844 Old 09-06-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:

I will throw up my lunch if someone will actually do the following.....

Set up an SSP-800 playing back the core DD or DTS soundtrack from a blu-ray disc and then, in the same system, compare it to a DTC 9.8 or the new spendy Denon playing back bitstream decoded TrueHD or DTS-HD MA from the same blu-ray discs and say which sounds better. Even set up the Audyssey in the Integra & Denon to optimize them but leave the Classe's EQ untouched. I would bet money that the 800 will get 100% of the votes with a report that the contest wasn't particularly close.

You'd think that TrueHD or DTS-HD MA was like discovering vinyl on a Linn LP12 after only ever hearing cassettes in a car your whole life the way it's made out to be the only thing that matters in a surround processor. What about circuit layout (boring!), noise shielding (that's not catchy marketing!), power supply robustness and quality (how do you advertise that as making a big difference!?!)? Yes......BUT DOES IT DECODE TRUE-HD OR DTS-HD MA??? Ayecarumba.

Also, I substituted an Integra DTC 9.8 in a system that had before it an SSP-600 (not 800) and the 600 CRUSHED IT! And that was without decoding TrueHD or DTS-HD MA or as many like to call those formats "the only thing that matters in a surround prepro!!!". And before anyone throws a fit, the DTC 9.8 is a fantastic processor for its price category, and Integra would no doubt say the same thing, and not claim it's even designed to compete with $8,000 processors from high end specialty companies. I like the Integra quite a bit. Wonderfully designed product with an all-world feature set for the price.

Just DO the comparison like I did. It does no good to hear from the 'hate the high end' crowd that just declares things as fact without actually LISTENING. My claim is no more subjective than in saying that a 3-series BMW is a superior vehicle directly compared to a Geo Metro. And Geo is not advertising their own car as being superior to a spendy German engineered vehicle. They advertise it as a good value and product for the money.
post #278 of 5844 Old 09-07-2008, 08:29 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wallace View Post

Set up an SSP-800 playing back the core DD or DTS soundtrack from a blu-ray disc and then, in the same system, compare it to a DTC 9.8 or the new spendy Denon playing back bitstream decoded TrueHD or DTS-HD MA from the same blu-ray discs and say which sounds better. Even set up the Audyssey in the Integra & Denon to optimize them but leave the Classe's EQ untouched. I would bet money that the 800 will get 100% of the votes with a report that the contest wasn't particularly close.

Now that the Classé SSP-800 is on the market and finally launched I am sure that some one out there is going to do just that. I am sure we will read a few reviews in the months to come so let' see what happens.

I am going to audition the SSP-800 this week at my dealer and will make my own opinion and keep you posted!
post #279 of 5844 Old 09-12-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Now that the Classé SSP-800 is on the market and finally launched I am sure that some one out there is going to do just that. I am sure we will read a few reviews in the months to come so let' see what happens.

I am going to audition the SSP-800 this week at my dealer and will make my own opinion and keep you posted!

WSE - were you able to audition the SSP-800? Also, please let us know if you were able to compare its sound to any other prepro you are familiar with. Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Jeff.
post #280 of 5844 Old 09-12-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes please!
post #281 of 5844 Old 09-12-2008, 02:32 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alembicjeff View Post

WSE - were you able to audition the SSP-800? Also, please let us know if you were able to compare its sound to any other prepro you are familiar with. Looking forward to hearing your impressions. Jeff.

I went to my dealer today and he had sold the demo unit after having it on the floor for one day. He told me that he should get additional units mid October hopefully. He also was saying that the reason Classé didn't incorporate DD true HD and DTS Master HD is because it doesn't work very well!!! I found this comment appalling and asked him if he ever heard these formats! He went down in my book, and I was fairly disappointed about his bashing!

I have heard both new format at a friend of mine with a Denon unit driving Sonus Faber and it sounded fantastic!! Much better than regular Dolby or DTS.

I am now looking for an other dealer for Classé who is a bit more honest.
post #282 of 5844 Old 09-16-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:

I went to my dealer today and he had sold the demo unit after having it on the floor for one day. He told me that he should get additional units mid October hopefully. He also was saying that the reason Classé didn't incorporate DD true HD and DTS Master HD is because it doesn't work very well!!! I found this comment appalling and asked him if he ever heard these formats! He went down in my book, and I was fairly disappointed about his bashing!

I have heard both new format at a friend of mine with a Denon unit driving Sonus Faber and it sounded fantastic!! Much better than regular Dolby or DTS.

I am now looking for an other dealer for Classé who is a bit more honest.

It's shocking to hear that an authorized Classe dealer would make such a statement when the company itself (via its website) has made statements to the contrary! Classe is cleary committed to incorporating Dolby True HD and DTS Master Audio into the SSP-800 by designing the SSP-800 with a replaceable board that will handle the advanced audio codecs. A company simply would not commit its time and financial resources to something they thought "doesn't work very well."

If that dealer gets in an SSP-800 for you to listen to, you could still do that, but I would advise ignoring anything else this person has to say.

Jeff.
post #283 of 5844 Old 09-16-2008, 03:13 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alembicjeff View Post

It's shocking to hear that an authorized Classe dealer would make such a statement when the company itself (via its website) has made statements to the contrary! Classe is clearly committed to incorporating Dolby True HD and DTS Master Audio into the SSP-800 by designing the SSP-800 with a replaceable board that will handle the advanced audio codecs. A company simply would not commit its time and financial resources to something they thought "doesn't work very well."

If that dealer gets in an SSP-800 for you to listen to, you could still do that, but I would advise ignoring anything else this person has to say.

Jeff.

I will do exactly that and I will wait until Classé releases the SSP-800 with the new chip that supports all the new Codec, Hopefully soon and no later than Q1 09?
post #284 of 5844 Old 09-16-2008, 07:06 PM

Problem is that most dealers will not have a clue about what DSP board is used. I went to my dealer to look at the SSP-800 and he sold on already and had one in stock, when I asked him about the DSP board "upgrade" he had no idea.
post #285 of 5844 Old 09-16-2008, 07:22 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougWinsor View Post

Problem is that most dealers will not have a clue about what DSP board is used. I went to my dealer to look at the SSP-800 and he sold on already and had one in stock, when I asked him about the DSP board "upgrade" he had no idea.

That is unbelievable,, sometime ago an acquaintance of mine wanted to become a Classé dealer, and he was refused because he didn't want to commit to intensive training!! I thought Classé required it's dealer to know the products inside out. That is what you would expect from Best Buy or Circuit City, they have no clue!!

Dealers like this should not remain in business especially in this environement
post #286 of 5844 Old 09-17-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:

My dealer told me it was because the chipsets to decode DD true HD and DTS Master HD that were available at the time were not up to Classe's standards. Its the same chipsets used in the cheap receivers at the time, so they were going to wait for a better chipset to come out to implement into the SSP-800.
post #287 of 5844 Old 09-18-2008, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I am shore that the HD lossles decoding chips used in the Denon AVP-A1HD would of been more than adequate for Classe to use at the time.. Its more than likely that Classe had not developed A product that could implement this new HD surround sound technology at the time...
As with most High End Audio companies they are slower and less hesitant to adopt the newer tech such as HDMI 1.3 and HD codec decoding because of the big bucks they need to invest in the development of such technology's....
post #288 of 5844 Old 09-18-2008, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post

I am shore that the HD lossles decoding chips used in the Denon AVP-A1HD would of been more than adequate for Classe to use at the time.. Its more than likely that Classe had not developed A product that could implement this new HD surround sound technology at the time...
As with most High End Audio companies they are slower and less hesitant to adopt the newer tech such as HDMI 1.3 and HD codec decoding because of the big bucks they need to invest in the development of such technology's....

To my understanding, Classe customized the TI chip that will be used to decode HiRes formats. The issue was that TI was not able to produce the volume Classe needed soon enough. Keep in mind that it is a dual 64-bit architecture.

ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you.
post #289 of 5844 Old 09-18-2008, 01:40 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikoniko View Post

To my understanding, Classe customized the TI chip that will be used to decode HiRes formats. The issue was that TI was not able to produce the volume Classe needed soon enough. Keep in mind that it is a dual 64-bit architecture.

Yes all the other are using 32-bit architectures, pre/pro=computers.

on an other note

If you are a dealer this is where you go shopping

"Pioneer and Electrograph are please to offer you an incredible $500 instant rebate on each PDP-5020FD* purchased September 15, 2008 through October 31, 2008, pending restrictions listed below. The $500 instant rebate applies to A-stock and is valid only while supplies last. We encourage you to place your orders immediately and take advantage of this offer before the promotion ends.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD
50-Inch Class 1080p KURO Flat Panel HDTV
MSRP: $4,000
Reseller Price: $2,169
After $500 Instant Rebate

o High-Definition 1080p Resolution (1920x1080p)
o 5x Deeper Black for Unmatched Contrast*
o Home Media Gallery Network Connectivity
o 4 Independent HDMI® 1.3 Inputs
post #290 of 5844 Old 09-18-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:

No, they are buying it from MDS.

http://www.mds.com/
post #291 of 5844 Old 09-18-2008, 08:25 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougWinsor View Post

No, they are buying it from MDS.

http://www.mds.com/

Interesting as they have TI chips that they must upgrade or something?

http://www.mds.com/products/prodcat....xasInstruments
post #292 of 5844 Old 09-19-2008, 01:51 AM
Advanced Member

Here is some info from RebelMan seems from CES 08, posted other forum:
Quote:

The DSP will be an upgradeable MDS DAE-7 module which is based on the TI Aureus processor chip. Unlike other DAE kits all of the DSP support architecture and circuitry including power supplies, ADCs and DACs are engineered by Classe'. The DAE-7 will not support the decoding of the high-definition audio codecs like Dolby Digital Plus and TrueHD and DTS-HD HRA and MA but it will support all the standard audio codecs and multi-channel LPCM. HDMI 1.3a is included as is support for Deep Color video.

Classe's supplier of the DSP's could not make a solid commitment to produce a high-definition compatible module in time for the SSP's launch. Later when MDS makes an upgrade available that supports the new codecs Classe' may offer it to their customer's for no extra charge. Classe' is expecting something later this year, perhaps in the fall sometime but it's still up in the air.

Cheers
DT
post #293 of 5844 Old 09-19-2008, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
What is the point of having HDMI 1.3 if the SSP cant even decode the HD codecs, seems pointless in Classe offering an upgrading for the SSP to me ....
post #294 of 5844 Old 09-19-2008, 09:52 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post

What is the point of having HDMI 1.3 if the SSP cant even decode the HD codecs, seems pointless in Classe offering an upgrading for the SSP to me ....

The new chip will decode DD True HD and DTS Master HD when it is released of course the question is when?

Let's hope that it wont' be like the SSP-900 that was never released
post #295 of 5844 Old 09-19-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wallace View Post

I will throw up my lunch if someone will actually do the following.....

You'd think that TrueHD or DTS-HD MA was like discovering vinyl on a Linn LP12 after only ever hearing cassettes in a car your whole life the way it's made out to be the only thing that matters in a surround processor. What about circuit layout (boring!), noise shielding (that's not catchy marketing!), power supply robustness and quality (how do you advertise that as making a big difference!?!)? Yes......BUT DOES IT DECODE TRUE-HD OR DTS-HD MA??? Ayecarumba.

Also, I substituted an Integra DTC 9.8 in a system that had before it an SSP-600 (not 800) and the 600 CRUSHED IT! And that was without decoding TrueHD or DTS-HD MA or as many like to call those formats "the only thing that matters in a surround prepro!!!". And before anyone throws a fit, the DTC 9.8 is a fantastic processor for its price category, and Integra would no doubt say the same thing, and not claim it's even designed to compete with $8,000 processors from high end specialty companies. I like the Integra quite a bit. Wonderfully designed product with an all-world feature set for the price.

I swear I have heard nonsense like this before. It was from a salesman who sold a product that didn't have lossless decoding. Should I be surprised?

Let me ask you this, if the 800 sounds so good with DTS and DD, what do you suppose it would sound like with the lossless codecs?

The best part is, you have never heard the Denon or the Classe' but you "would bet money that the 800 will get 100% of the votes with a report that the contest wasn't particularly close."

And then you say this

Quote:

What about circuit layout (boring!), noise shielding (that's not catchy marketing!), power supply robustness and quality (how do you advertise that as making a big difference!?!)?

Have you bothered to look at the layout of the new Denon piece? Does the PS not have enough "robustness" or "quality", or does it not do enough "noise shielding"? And since the Denon doesn't have a as good a "circuit layout", what makes the Classe' 800's better?

I actually like Classe' as a product, but give me a break.

Say what you want about the lossless codecs, but anyone buying a NEW pre should expect the ability to decode them, ESPECIALLY at $8k.
post #296 of 5844 Old 09-19-2008, 11:13 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodshed View Post

I swear I have heard nonsense like this before. It was from a salesman who sold a product that didn't have lossless decoding. Should I be surprised? I actually like Classe' as a product, but give me a break.....Say what you want about the lossless codecs, but anyone buying a NEW pre should expect the ability to decode them, ESPECIALLY at $8k.

Very well said Woodshed, I really like Classé as well and especially the design. As they say, if you don't have it you can criticize it.

Classé higher up was telling me that " The blu ray player should be doing the decoding", also on that same note that same individual said "Audyssey MultiEQ Pro is crap and it doesn't work. Same with Silicon Optix Realta and Classé's customers don't need THX Ultra 2 Plus it's useless"!!

I am waiting for Classé to release their new chip that decodes DD tru HD and DTS Master Audio to go give it a listen. Until, then I will read about the brave pathfinders who bet their money on an unfinished product. But maybe I should just go and buy the new Onkyo PR-SC886 Pro.

Remember first blu ray players for $2500 it took ten minutes to start and when it was stuck you had to rip the power cord from the wall!!

I am done being the first one with the new gadget. Finally my Classe dealer told me $8,000 it's a steal! I think he meant yes it's like stealing from my pocket $4000 (Dealer gross profit on each unit).

By the way my dealer lives in a 7000sqft Mansion and drives a Ferrari thanks to suckers like me!
post #297 of 5844 Old 09-19-2008, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodshed View Post

I swear I have heard nonsense like this before. It was from a salesman who sold a product that didn't have lossless decoding. Should I be surprised?

Let me ask you this, if the 800 sounds so good with DTS and DD, what do you suppose it would sound like with the lossless codecs?

re-read what he said. He said the SSP-600 without hi-res formats sounds better than the Onkyo with. It is his opinion and he is entitled to it.

The SSP-800 can play lossless codecs. I have the SSP-800, I can speak about it. It just does not do it internally. For everyone who covets the ability to do conversion internal to the processor, I don't get what the stigma is. If there is a difference in audible quality before and after the DSP, I will bet it isn't because of where the codecs are being decoded. It had to do with the extra power of the DSP.

Quote:
he best part is, you have never heard the Denon or the Classe' but you "would bet money that the 800 will get 100% of the votes with a report that the contest wasn't particularly close."

And then you say this

Have you bothered to look at the layout of the new Denon piece? Does the PS not have enough "robustness" or "quality", or does it not do enough "noise shielding"? And since the Denon doesn't have a as good a "circuit layout", what makes the Classe' 800's better?

I refuse to get into a pissing match with you over which one is better. That is up to you to decide which is better for you.

ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you.
post #298 of 5844 Old 09-19-2008, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikoniko View Post

re-read what he said. He said the SSP-600 without hi-res formats sounds better than the Onkyo with. It is his opinion and he is entitled to it.

The SSP-800 can play lossless codecs. I have the SSP-800, I can speak about it. It just does not do it internally. For everyone who covets the ability to do conversion internal to the processor, I don't get what the stigma is. If there is a difference in audible quality before and after the DSP, I will bet it isn't because of where the codecs are being decoded. It had to do with the extra power of the DSP.

I refuse to get into a pissing match with you over which one is better. That is up to you to decide which is better for you.

I read what he said, he said the 600 SMOKED it playing DD vs the 9.8 playing lossless. Ok, let's just say that is true in his opinion:

1. Are we talking about the Classe' 600 here, or is this an 800 thread?
2. For an $8k processor bought in September of 2008, why should internal decoding not be included? Even Classe' thinks so as they are promising an uprade path.
3. A pissing match?? What on earth are you talking about? I was quoting a different poster, who was commenting on certain aspects of a pre/pro. LOL, I never even said one was better than the other, I was simply asking him to tell me why the Classe's is better. What's wrong with that?
post #299 of 5844 Old 09-19-2008, 06:59 PM

Remember that the SSP-800 without the new DSP boards can still do LPCM over HDMI.

Quote:

I read what he said, he said the 600 SMOKED it playing DD vs the 9.8 playing lossless.

I think Mr. placebo played a part in this and I would like to see him come up with the same conclution in a DBT.
post #300 of 5844 Old 09-25-2008, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I spent a few hours last night and the night before running the Classe SSP-800 prepro through its paces with some compilation CDs I put together for my speaker auditions.

Fresh out the box on day one, the sound was certainly smoother than my Lexicon MC12HD prepro and much of the edgy / grainy quality in the upper mids that I heard on my reference recordings was greatly reduced. However, the overall presentation of the SSP-800, while clean and smooth, was also somewhat lean, and mid forward. Frankly, this was not what I was expecting, nor was it what I really wanted. Prior to the SSP-800, most Classe gear has been regarded as having a smooth, relaxed and slightly warm sound and this was a large part of my reasoning for buying it. The leaner, more mid-forward presentation still sounded good, but it was not the presentation I was after.

I should note that Classe specifically states in the user’s manual that there is a 300 hour break-in period for the SSP-800. I’m not one that believes in extended break in periods and despite my efforts, I haven’t heard significant differences in front end gear up to this point. However last night was a bit of an eye opener.

Unlike the night before, where I had basically plugged the 800 in and a threw some music at it, last night the 800 and the amp had been running for several hours before I put some music on. I don’t know if it was just that the 800 needs to reach a proper operating temp, or if there was some “settling in” of the prepro due to “break-in”, but the results were much, much better. Make that fantastic!

Over the years I have become rather leery when ever someone refers to a component as sounding “detailed”. In my experience, this can also mean “bright, lean, dry, and analytical”. So when I read some early reports from new owners of the SSP-800 that the sound was detailed and transparent, I was a bit apprehensive. And that first night with it seemed to confirm that the SSP-800 might not be a good fit for me.

What I heard from the SSP-800 last night, however, changed both my opinion of the 800 and what it means for a component to be “detailed”. Frankly, it is a bit hard to comprehend (but much easier to enjoy). The sound of the 800 is smooth, yet at the same time more detailed than I have heard before. It is dynamic, but not peaky or aggressive. It sounds vivid in its presentation, yet everything seems to be in balance. It *is* transparent, it *is* detailed, and it *is* neutral, but not in any negative sense of these terms.

 Smooth yet detailed: Two of my pet peeves have always been grain and sibilance, and I was ready to give up “detail” in favor of a smoother more listenable sound if it meant that the grain would be reduced and sibilance didn’t feel like it was piercing my eardrums. Both of these things had been minimized with the Revel Speakers, but there was still enough grain to the sound that I felt like I was constantly being reminded that I was listening to a recording through a hi-fi system rather than achieving some semblance of reality. With the 800, the grain I used hear in many vocal tracks has been replaced with natural vocal texture. Woot! The detail provided by the 800 actually reminds me a lot of the sound you get from a ribbon tweeter. You can easily hear all of the low level details that were previously obscured—all of the delicate, twinkley sounds come to the surface but without sounding forced or etched. I can only imagine what you would hear with the SSP-800 paired up with a ribbon tweeter. I don’t know how many times I’ve read a review of this or that speaker or component and the reviewer says that they “heard things in their favorite music that they had never heard before”. I think a lot of this simply has to do with that new component’s frequency response being different than the reviewer’s reference system. Where there once was a dip in the response, there is now a hump, so of course the sounds that fall into that range are going to stand out now. But what I hear from the SSP-800 is different than that. It’s an overall improvement in resolution. You don’t just hear things you hadn’t before, you hear more of everything. It is fascinating how much detail and texture there is to the sounds that compose most music that you just don’t realize were there. And those sibilant recordings I had written off as hot recordings, well, they are still sibilant but the somewhat harsh “sssssttt” sound of sibilance is a more pleasant “sssshhhh” sound. No loss of detail, just a smoother more natural sound.

 Dynamic but not peaky or fatiguing: A dynamic sounding system can be a lot of fun, but it can also wear on you as your ears are constantly assaulted by the dynamic peaks. Fun for a short period, but wearing in the long run. I’m not sure how to put this, but one of my first thoughts when listening to the SSP-800 last night was that the sound was very dynamic but that it never sounded aggressive. It just seems to handle transients with more finesse and in a more natural way. All of the dynamic oomph and jump are there, but without the peaky quality I often associate with dynamically voiced systems.

If I had to sum it up, I would say that the SSP-800 sounds balanced, smooth, and natural, yet also vivid, dynamic and detailed. This may still not be everyone’s cup-o-tea, especially if you like a more easy going, euphonic sound, or if your speakers depend on some character in the front-end to bring balance to the sound of your system, but the SSP-800 has shown me that you can have a detailed, transparent sound that is still "musical".

I no longer have the Lex gear to compare to the Classe, but in the near future I want to compare the sound of the SSP-800 to the HK AVR I use in my video game room. When I did this same comparison between the Lex and the HK, there was surprisingly little difference between the two.

I’ll be sure post any addition impressions I have as I get closer to the 300 hour mark.

Before:

After:

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Classe

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page