post #4291 of 5890 Old 08-02-2011, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttecreeker View Post

I have been reading some articles regarding subwoofer integration with regards to "group delay". One of the articles had recommended setting all the distance settings to a nominal 7', and then setting the sub distance to an additional 12' for a total 19' for the sub. Then using the phase adjustment on the sub to fine tune the delay relationship between the mains and the sub. There was much more to the article than just that.

Nonsense. Yes, it is important to compensate for woofer latency as may be caused by signal processing or whatever. But there is no fixed formula. And most subs do not have an variable phase adjustment, only a polarity switch.

Quote:
I would think that a pre/pro, such as Classe and other quality driven products, would already compensate for the delay settings loaded into their setup pages. Can anyone shed some more light/opinions on this matter, with regards to the 800?

All AV processors handle delays the same way. Tell it the distance from the MLP to each speaker. Find the longest distance, and subtract each other from it to find the difference. That difference get translated the delay added to each of those signals.

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4292 of 5890 Old 08-02-2011, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blem View Post

My supplier suggested I unplug the PJ completely and then start the Classe from scratch which I did and *still* no audio ! What's doubly odd is that I get a picture via video preview, so I know the connections are correct, but it refuses to recognise there's any audio (yet it works when the PJ is connected and turned on).

Now that's a piece of new info. So it has nothing to do with the PJ being off.

When the audio is missing, what does the Status screen say about the audio? No audio, or something else?

Quote:
BTW nice Theatre
Never seen 'Deadwood' myself, though have heard good things abut the show

Thanks very much! The show was a little brutal, but I got hooked on the characters.

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4293 of 5890 Old 08-02-2011, 06:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

All AV processors handle delays the same way. Tell it the distance from the MLP to each speaker. Find the longest distance, and subtract each other from it to find the difference. That difference get translated the delay added to each of those signals.

That is common but it fails to take into account any latencies introduced by the active circuitry in the subwoofer.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #4294 of 5890 Old 08-02-2011, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Thanks Dave, that would be appreciated.

However I think there *is* an issue here as I'm not the only one who has experienced this problem, ...

Well I'm sorry to say that I wasn't able to replicate the problem you are having re; no audio with pj off, via HDMI (at least not this time around). I first played a two channel CD from the Oppo 83, via HDMI, and the CD played as expected. I then tried a DTS 5.1 audio DVD, also with no problems. I then tried a DVD-A disc, also with no problems.

I looked at the configuration of the input, for the Oppo 83, and I do have the video set to use the appropriate HDMI video input. So even for two channel listening, the HDMI video input is selected in the 800. Although I never had to turned the pj on, or any other display device, nor did I unplug the HDMI output from the 800.

As Roger stated earlier, might be a good time to get Classe involved, if you haven't already done so.

Dave

Enjoy Listening!
Dave

I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical.
(Arthur C. Clarke)
post #4295 of 5890 Old 08-02-2011, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

That is common but it fails to take into account any latencies introduced by the active circuitry in the subwoofer.

Of course. Is that the real question--how to determine the correct way to use manual speaker setup menus to compensate for external sub EQs?

Roger

post #4296 of 5890 Old 08-03-2011, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

When the audio is missing, what does the Status screen say about the audio? No audio, or something else?

It says 'hdmi audio, hdmi1' followed by 'no audio signal'

Quote:

Well I'm sorry to say that I wasn't able to replicate the problem you are having re; no audio with pj off, via HDMI.

Thanks for taking the time to check. I can live with it for now as I'm now using a separate spdif input from the Oppo for cd playback and of course there *is* audio when watching films (the new Star Trek film sounds ace!), so it's only sacd and dvd-audio that I can't listen to, which I can cope with for the time being...

Quote:

As Roger stated earlier, might be a good time to get Classe involved, if you haven't already done so.

I'm just waiting to hear what email address to use and I'll ask Classe directly.
post #4297 of 5890 Old 08-03-2011, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I'm just waiting to hear what email address to use and I'll ask Classe directly.

http://www.classeaudio.com/support/service.htm
Check there for contact information.
post #4298 of 5890 Old 08-03-2011, 05:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

Quote:

Of course. Is that the real question--how to determine the correct way to use manual speaker setup menus to compensate for external sub EQs?

So I thought. REW and a RS SLM will do the job for that.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #4299 of 5890 Old 08-03-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I thought. REW and a RS SLM will do the job for that.

As long as one knows how to do it, and also has the right external test signal, since it is not included in the AV processor.

Roger

post #4300 of 5890 Old 08-03-2011, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With the projector on the HDMI audio worked. Turn the projector off and it still worked. BUT then change the input to something else and then back again and the audio is gone again.

I am working with Classe on testing a new beta release dealing with other issues, but I asked them about your situation. They are aware of these issues in general, and they have a beta version of code that might work in your case. I do not know which beta version that is, though. So a question for you would be regarding uploading firmware. As a new user it might be something new for you. If you have a computer nearby, like a laptop, it is not too difficult. A lot easier than getting the dealer to do it I think.

So the good news is that it appears to be a FW issue. The bad news, new FW is needed to be installed. Is this something you'd consider doing yourself?

Roger

post #4301 of 5890 Old 08-03-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:

So the good news is that it appears to be a FW issue. The bad news, new FW is needed to be installed. Is this something you'd consider doing yourself?

Absolutely ! I work in IT, am quite technically savvy, and am also very aware of the Development Cycle and the importance of accurately reporting issues and thorough testing protocols (I myself have just over 200k users to keep happy, though fortunately not personally!)

I have also been a beta tester for other organisations/pieces of kit, probably because I tend to be over-thorough, but in my line of work there's no such thing

So yes, happy to help in any way, including testing any code pre-release
(BTW I'm about to be away for a few days so the first time I could do this is next Tuesday)

Thanks for the update
(and am kinda pleased that it isn't me doing something daft!)
post #4302 of 5890 Old 08-03-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:

If you have a computer nearby, like a laptop, it is not too difficult

BTW what software is used ? I have mainly macs at home, and my laptop is an MB Air so that is the easiest for me, though I do have a couple of Windows 7 pc's for film Editing/FX/Authoring. Or is it done via an executable on usb stick like the Oppo ?
post #4303 of 5890 Old 08-03-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW what software is used ? I have mainly macs at home, and my laptop is an MB Air so that is the easiest for me, though I do have a couple of Windows 7 pc's for film Editing/FX/Authoring. Or is it done via an executable on usb stick like the Oppo ?

Good to hear you're into tech support. This will be very simple for you.

Classe provides a little loader utility called "Downloader" that runs under Windows. I use a MAC but I run their installer under XP in Parallels, via the USB port into the SSP. I also use an old Dell laptop XP with an RS232 serial cable and it works the same. I don't think the downloader runs under Mac.

To get familiar with the process, visit the Operating Software page and read the info and try connecting with the Downloader. If you establish communications, you can save current settings (a nice idea) and that also proves you're ready for F/W. I needed to install an extra MS driver, as mentioned in the info.

You are recommended to directly contact Robert at Classe about this matter.

Roger

post #4304 of 5890 Old 08-03-2011, 05:54 PM

Has any SSP 800 owner heard the new CP800 - an A/B test. I currently have a Marantz AV7005 unit and wanted to upgrade. I auditioned a lot of pre-pros and like the Classe the best.

My choices are to keep the AV7005 for movies and add the CP800 for 2 channel music which will also do the duty of a DAC. Of course I am gonna miss out on SACD and DVD Audio decoding.

The other option is to get the SSP-800. Of course it is a more expensive unit and I am going way overboard my budget here. But the disadvantage of ths route is I lose the DAC capability of the CP 800 - Anyone knows if CLasse has plans of upgrading the SSP800 with a USB input like the CP 800?

No I cannot afford to get both the units which certainly would be the best choice of course.
post #4305 of 5890 Old 08-04-2011, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Could someone with a CT-SSP please let me know if the LED beneath the main display can be turned off while the unit is in use? If one can not turn the LED off, does it change color to match the main display if one selects a color other than blue?

I would also really appreciate some pictures of the CT-SSP from owners here!

Thanks,
s
post #4306 of 5890 Old 08-04-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiznit View Post

Could someone with a CT-SSP please let me know if the LED beneath the main display can be turned off while the unit is in use? If one can not turn the LED off, does it change color to match the main display if one selects a color other than blue?

Thanks,
s

That was discussed on another CT/SSP-800 forum. No off and no changing color. If it's to bright you will have to use a piece of electrical tape to cover it or use a marker to darken it.You don't own the unit obviously?
post #4307 of 5890 Old 08-04-2011, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiznit View Post

Thanks,
s

shiznit- sent you a PM. LEDs are always on (blue or red depending on status). Blue is your only color option of you want to match. I like the blue anyway....

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #4308 of 5890 Old 08-06-2011, 11:49 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
I am working with Classe on testing a new beta release dealing with other issues, but I asked them about your situation. They are aware of these issues in general, and they have a beta version of code that might work in your case. I do not know which beta version that is, though.

Hi roger reading of these hdmi issues parallels what happens with the cary 11a 1.4 upgrade to a tee;including a firmware upgrade Good to see classe move so quickly on this. Was wondering if the 800 had a cec comms disable option; the cary doesnt at the moment

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post20652048
post #4309 of 5890 Old 08-06-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2k2000 View Post

Has any SSP 800 owner heard the new CP800 - an A/B test. I currently have a Marantz AV7005 unit and wanted to upgrade. I auditioned a lot of pre-pros and like the Classe the best.

My choices are to keep the AV7005 for movies and add the CP800 for 2 channel music which will also do the duty of a DAC. Of course I am gonna miss out on SACD and DVD Audio decoding.

The other option is to get the SSP-800. Of course it is a more expensive unit and I am going way overboard my budget here. But the disadvantage of ths route is I lose the DAC capability of the CP 800 - Anyone knows if CLasse has plans of upgrading the SSP800 with a USB input like the CP 800?

No I cannot afford to get both the units which certainly would be the best choice of course.

The SSP has a great DAC built in, just no USB input, but that is easily solved. what source are you wishing to use? I use a Mac mini as a music server and output it via HDMI...works great!

post #4310 of 5890 Old 08-06-2011, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

If you need USB out, just add this. Works very well.

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/produ...INK/v-link.asp

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #4311 of 5890 Old 08-06-2011, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt View Post

Hi roger reading of these hdmi issues parallels what happens with the cary 11a 1.4 upgrade to a tee;including a firmware upgrade Good to see classe move so quickly on this. Was wondering if the 800 had a cec comms disable option

I have never seen any evidence of CEC.

Roger

post #4312 of 5890 Old 08-06-2011, 11:07 PM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I have never seen any evidence of CEC.

Good to know Roger ; these repeater avr /pre pro comms functions seem to be done in the background and are switchable in the source or display/sink as a rule it looks like . Gotta love these new hdmi implementations as they change the rules
post #4313 of 5890 Old 08-08-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post

The SSP has a great DAC built in, just no USB input, but that is easily solved. what source are you wishing to use? I use a Mac mini as a music server and output it via HDMI...works great!

I was planning to use a MAc Mini. Or the other option was a Synology Diskstation DS211 NAS server which has an ITunes server built in. If it can output sound via the USB then I might be able to use the Apple Remote software on my IPad or IPhone and avoid either turning on the plasma to browse the music list or buy another small screen for which there is no space.
post #4314 of 5890 Old 08-13-2011, 10:35 AM

hey everyone,

it seems the IR code for switching to discrete is missing from the database on the harmony website. the class website has the IR codes on their website, but I don't see how to enter it into the remote since there is no separate button for the discrete mode function. anyone know how to do this?
post #4315 of 5890 Old 08-13-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Classe uses two names for Discrete, the other being Multi-channel. I have that and other modes collected on a Profile page, like PLIIx, etc. Maybe that will work?

Roger

post #4316 of 5890 Old 08-13-2011, 03:36 PM

I have the Dolby and DTS modes on a profile page as well, but I wanted a way to turn the processing off and listen to stereo. Is there a simple way to so that? Thanks for your reply
post #4317 of 5890 Old 08-13-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikdoc View Post

I have the Dolby and DTS modes on a profile page as well, but I wanted a way to turn the processing off and listen to stereo. Is there a simple way to so that? Thanks for your reply

Stereo? Push Stereo. To hear 5.1 sources with no added processing, use multi-channel or discrete.

To add the "multi-channel" command to your Harmony, you will need to use the Harmony setup software to get into the learn new command mode. Access the SSP Menu, select "teach IR" and scroll down to the "multi-channel" command. Hold the Harmony remote sensor near the SSP-800 IR window (just right of the Mute button), and activate when the Harmony is ready to receive. It will transmit the desired IR code into the Harmony.

Roger

post #4318 of 5890 Old 08-13-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:

Stereo? Push Stereo. To hear 5.1 sources with no added processing, use multi-channel or discrete.

To add the "multi-channel" command to your Harmony, you will need to use the Harmony setup software to get into the learn new command mode. Access the SSP Menu, select "teach IR" and scroll down to the "multi-channel" command. Hold the Harmony remote sensor near the SSP-800 IR window (just right of the Mute button), and activate when the Harmony is ready to receive. It will transmit the desired IR code into the Harmony.

wow, thx roger, awesome and clear explanation
post #4319 of 5890 Old 08-14-2011, 09:33 AM

Hello All,

I would like to upgade my SSP800 with the new HDMI 1.4 kit, as I need the extra HDMI input. I did the upgrade of the dual DSP myself last year. Currently living in NJ.
Where can I purchase the upgrade Kit?

Thanks in advance

Lucabratsi
post #4320 of 5890 Old 08-14-2011, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I had mine upgraded at Talk of the Town in NJ.

Owner, AudioXtream.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Classe

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page