Official Classe SSP-800 thread. - Page 16 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #451 of 6010 Old 11-13-2008, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"Widescreen Review" has announced an upcoming review of the ssp-800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 6010 Old 11-14-2008, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheerLuck Holmes View Post

I've been reading "Widescreen Review" for years and they do a very thorough and detailed job IMO of reviewing a product. Looking forward to all of the reviews, including any posted by forum members.

Jeff.
post #453 of 6010 Old 11-14-2008, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I didn't know WSR was still publishing. Are they in print or just on the web?

"The truth is out there!"
post #454 of 6010 Old 11-14-2008, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post

Going direct would be the death of the high end manufacturers IMO. These items need to be "sold" to customers with the deep pockets, including the display and demonstrations.

Yeah, that works best for snake oil, too.

"The truth is out there!"
post #455 of 6010 Old 11-14-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

I didn't know WSR was still publishing. Are they in print or just on the web?

They are most certainly in print AND on the web with access to all backissues, reviews of dvd's, equipment etc. Its one of the most informative homecinema magazines.
post #456 of 6010 Old 11-14-2008, 01:33 PM

Exactly, dsmith901!
post #457 of 6010 Old 11-14-2008, 04:13 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheerLuck Holmes View Post

Cool let us know when it is published they usually do great reviews
post #458 of 6010 Old 11-15-2008, 11:59 AM

For 10 years the Proceed PAV/PDSD has served my homecinema marvelously, but now I just can't wait any longer to hear the new soundformats. And hopefully the ssp-800 will land in my lounge next week
post #459 of 6010 Old 11-15-2008, 02:57 PM

Just a little point of interest for anyone that has McIntosh amps and may be considering getting the SSP-800. I have a MC-205 amp and when I tried to hook the power control trigger cable up from the 800 to the amp to enable me to power them both on/off with the processor's remote, I discovered that the amp would flash on and then the power meters on the McIntosh would go dark. This was a bit disturbing and led me to believe that the amp might be going into its' Power Guard protection mode for some reason.

Long story short, I should have stuck with the McIntosh's cable because it is a stereo cable as opposed to the Classe's cable which is the standard mono. The stereo cable is designed to turn on both the amp and the power meters on the Mc. When I switched back to the Mc's cable it worked fine.
post #460 of 6010 Old 11-18-2008, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think the McIntosh meters can be triggered off. That may be what you experienced.

Silence is overrated!
post #461 of 6010 Old 11-21-2008, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
For those who own the SSP 800 do you notice any degradation in the passed through video signal? Anyone using a video processor fed via the pass thru? Any problems? I don't want to upgrade my video processor to one that can pass bitstream so I'm hoping to run through the ssp 800 then run the video out to the processor. If you're doing this are you having any problems delaying the audio to match the video via the 800?
post #462 of 6010 Old 11-22-2008, 08:44 AM

From the specs it appears that there's a lip sync function. It can even be remote controlled.
post #463 of 6010 Old 11-22-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN View Post

For those who own the SSP 800 do you notice any degradation in the passed through video signal? Anyone using a video processor fed via the pass thru? Any problems? I don't want to upgrade my video processor to one that can pass bitstream so I'm hoping to run through the ssp 800 then run the video out to the processor. If you're doing this are you having any problems delaying the audio to match the video via the 800?

I own the 800, and I don't notice any video degradation. The video has actually improved since I switched from a Rotel 1069 (which was clipping the blacks - even after the scalar bypass was installed).

I don't have a video processor, so I can't offer any info about that.

As Mr. Holmes alluded to, there is an audio delay feature for the 800 which can be configured on a per input basis, and works just fine.
post #464 of 6010 Old 11-23-2008, 10:25 AM

Does the SSP-800 allow for boosting LFE on individual inputs to compensate for the LFE bug. Right now I have my sony blu-ray player set for the LFE +10dB over the other 5 channels via the multichannel analog outputs. Some of the newer receivers allow this such as the Denons, but I can't tell how the Classe deals with this problem.
post #465 of 6010 Old 11-23-2008, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezoar View Post

Does the SSP-800 allow for boosting LFE on individual inputs to compensate for the LFE bug. Right now I have my sony blu-ray player set for the LFE +10dB over the other 5 channels via the multichannel analog outputs. Some of the newer receivers allow this such as the Denons, but I can't tell how the Classe deals with this problem.

There is a "trims" option that you could do a db +/- on any of the active speakers.

Why would you use the analog inputs over HDMI?

ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you.
post #466 of 6010 Old 11-23-2008, 01:24 PM

I won't for the Blu-Ray player once I get the SSP-800. I'm doing that now as I don't have an HDMI receiver. Is it a non issue if you use the HDMI inputs, ie does the processor decode DTS-MA and True HD with the appropriate 10db boost to the LFE as all processors do with DTS and DD now? I've never had an HDMI receiver so I've never been able to check. Is the LFE bug an analog input only problem? My HTPC will still be analog output to the SSP-800 however as there is still not a very good HDMI solution yet.
post #467 of 6010 Old 11-23-2008, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I won't for the Blu-Ray player once I get the SSP-800. I'm doing that now as I don't have an HDMI receiver. Is it a non issue if you use the HDMI inputs, ie does the processor decode DTS-MA and True HD with the appropriate 10db boost to the LFE as all processors do with DTS and DD now? I've never had an HDMI receiver so I've never been able to check. Is the LFE bug an analog input only problem? My HTPC will still be analog output to the SSP-800 however as there is still not a very good HDMI solution yet.

actually, there is...

http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonhd4800/index.html

fully hdmi 1.3

post #468 of 6010 Old 11-23-2008, 06:39 PM

True, but the lossless codecs are still being downsampled by the software players even via HDMI on the 4800 series cards. I'm waiting for the azuntech home theater hd card to come out to see how that works out. I've read too many problems to pull the trigger on the asus xonar. For now I plan to stick with my x-meridian. Plus my Marantz SACD/DVD-A player is analog only (although that will be upgraded to an Oppo player soon.) So at least for now the LFE bug still presents a problem for me and I'm considering buying the SSP-800 this weekend.
post #469 of 6010 Old 11-24-2008, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

True, but the lossless codecs are still being downsampled by the software players even via HDMI on the 4800 series cards. I'm waiting for the azuntech home theater hd card to come out to see how that works out. I've read too many problems to pull the trigger on the asus xonar. For now I plan to stick with my x-meridian.

I just helped my father-in-law get an HTPC. It has been a royal PITA getting the cable cards setup and working. It generally worked for one card, but whenever attempting to use the second card, it would break. Uninstalled A/V and disabled the firewall and that seemed to help a bit. We also made the cable company run a new line to the TV.

Hopefully the software will catch up soon and quit down-sampling.

Quote:
Plus my Marantz SACD/DVD-A player is analog only (although that will be upgraded to an Oppo player soon.) So at least for now the LFE bug still presents a problem for me and I'm considering buying the SSP-800 this weekend.

You won't regret getting the SSP-800. I was one of the first to receive one and I couldn't be happier. Be sure and give it time to break in. You might have some adjusting to do as well. Its different. It is transparent beyond anything I've ever heard before. Brothers in Arms SACD sounds phenomenal. Its like you are in the vocal booth when he is laying down the VOX track.

There is a paradigm shift that some people are unwilling to accept that the DACs in the SSP are better than those in most players.

post #470 of 6010 Old 11-24-2008, 05:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Be sure and give it time to break in.

Still going with that?

Quote:

There is a paradigm shift that some people are unwilling to accept that the DACs in the SSP are better than those in most players.

You mean just on the front channels.
post #471 of 6010 Old 11-24-2008, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougWinsor View Post

Still going with that?

You mean just on the front channels.

shoo fly! don't bother me!

post #472 of 6010 Old 11-29-2008, 05:54 PM

For those of you who have the SSP 800, can you tell me how difficult it is to set up without room correction. I am very close to getting one, but I dont have any experience with room setup in a processor.

Thanks!
post #473 of 6010 Old 11-29-2008, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrna View Post

For those of you who have the SSP 800, can you tell me how difficult it is to set up without room correction. I am very close to getting one, but I dont have any experience with room setup in a processor.

Thanks!

It's pretty intuitive really. The only thing that is different about it is that you assign 1 of 6 "configurations" to each input. This allows you to set-up one config for 2ch and another for multichannel if you like. You can keep it simple though and just use one config for everything.

The room EQ should be left to a professional unless you have the equipment for and know how to measure your in-room response and set parametric EQ filters.
post #474 of 6010 Old 11-29-2008, 07:22 PM

I am not sure that there is anyone near my town that can do this. Guess I need to look at another solution.

Thanks!
post #475 of 6010 Old 11-30-2008, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump2 View Post

Just a little point of interest for anyone that has McIntosh amps and may be considering getting the SSP-800. I have a MC-205 amp and when I tried to hook the power control trigger cable up from the 800 to the amp to enable me to power them both on/off with the processor's remote, I discovered that the amp would flash on and then the power meters on the McIntosh would go dark. This was a bit disturbing and led me to believe that the amp might be going into its' Power Guard protection mode for some reason.

Long story short, I should have stuck with the McIntosh's cable because it is a stereo cable as opposed to the Classe's cable which is the standard mono. The stereo cable is designed to turn on both the amp and the power meters on the Mc. When I switched back to the Mc's cable it worked fine.

So the SSP 800 can trigger the MC to turn off? I've had a bear of a time attempting to get this to work with my current interim pro the Pio elite 94txh. Going to pick up an 800 as soon as they support all the bitstreamed lossless codecs. I got my Mc207 seconhand and there is no control cable. Any places to sort a stereo trigger cable you suggest? Can't wait to hear the 800 on this system.
post #476 of 6010 Old 11-30-2008, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I just realized I didn't ask the right question. Can the ssp 800 pass thru the video without it being touched by the video portion. I noticed in the specs it has a video "decoder". But I assume this does nothing more than pass video through. BUT it will convert analog to digital HDMI out if you want. No scaler. Correct? This is what I'd want.
post #477 of 6010 Old 11-30-2008, 03:06 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can the SSP-800 pass thru the video without it being touched by the video portion

That is correct the video is unaffected there are no scaler of any sort in this processor. With Blu Ray you don't need any video processing 1080p/24fps

And with good DVD player

- Oppo DV-983H
1080p Up-Converting Universal DVD Player for ( $399) or

for ten times more?

- Denon DVD-5910CI A/V
Progressive Scan DVD Audio/SACD Player with Realta T2 HQV ($3999)
post #478 of 6010 Old 11-30-2008, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

That is correct the video is unaffected there are no scaler of any sort in this processor. With Blu Ray you don't need any video processing 1080p/24fps

($3999)

Thanks wse.

Actually are the 2 HDMI outs video only? Or are they both audio and video? From the HTGuide forums I believe it's a true repeater so audio and video on the HDMI's right?

Now all I have to do is find one locally. Both shops don't have one to audition. I'm trying to time everything to get the Denon AVP and the ssp800 in the house at the same time.
post #479 of 6010 Old 11-30-2008, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks wse.

Actually are the 2 HDMI outs video only? Or are they both audio and video? From the HTGuide forums I believe it's a true repeater so audio and video on the HDMI's right?

Now all I have to do is find one locally. Both shops don't have one to audition. I'm trying to time everything to get the Denon AVP and the ssp800 in the house at the same time.

The HDMI out outs on the SSP-800 do carry audio as well as video.
post #480 of 6010 Old 11-30-2008, 07:17 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks wse. Actually are the 2 HDMI outs video only? Or are they both audio and video? From the HTGuide forums I believe it's a true repeater so audio and video on the HDMI's right? Now all I have to do is find one locally. Both shops don't have one to audition. I'm trying to time everything to get the Denon AVP and the ssp800 in the house at the same time.

Welcome, the HDMi carry everything audio and video. Let us know if you canb get both at the same time I don't think any one has been able to compare them at the same time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Classe

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page