post #5791 of 5819 Old 06-01-2014, 03:38 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View PostSomewhat, yes, due to the mono use of the 2 rear speakers. The preferred way to make 5.1 into 7.1 is PLIIx which has stereo rear outputs. EX should not be used unless there's a 6.1 speaker setup.

Is PLIIx 7.1 better than 5.1 discrete? You can decide for yourself, but to me the answer is yes. My 7.1 speaker layout is not optimal for 5.1 playback mode because the sides are too forward and the rears too far behind.
Yes. Surround processing (EX pr PLIIx) are not able to operate with 7.1 discrete sources.

I love PLIIx!

I wonder what PLIIz with wide sounds like I can't imagine 9 speakers all around :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5792 of 5819 Old 06-02-2014, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thank you for all this great feedback.

I have done some experiments with the different formats.

I prefer also the sound of PLIIx !

By the way i love the fantastic sound of the SSP 800 everything is so clear! :)

Nerver had something better in my home!

At last part i like to measure my room ( not just SPL ). Dose some one here have a good tutorial who to measure the room and configure the EQ ?

post #5793 of 5819 Old 06-08-2014, 03:32 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bao01 View Post

ok - thanks
i knew it was good - am also considering the Bryston which has zero video functions which i kind of like as a philosophy.
yes - WSE is a bit OCD when it comes to replacement rumors

Yes OCD, ADD, ADHD, N, S AND SO ON.....biggrin.gif
post #5794 of 5819 Old 06-09-2014, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Yes OCD, ADD, ADHD, N, S AND SO ON.....biggrin.gif

Recently with my Satellite feed , I changed my PVR from DD5.1 output to PCM and then in Prologic llx Movie mode on the Classe for 2 channel sources ..sound is fuller , bigger, better and just sounds great !
Think I am going to try Post processing incoming Discreet signals for blu ray and see what it sounds like ..any ideas on this ?
post #5795 of 5819 Old 06-10-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsof1 View Post

Recently with my Satellite feed , I changed my PVR from DD5.1 output to PCM and then in Prologic llx Movie mode on the Classe for 2 channel sources ..sound is fuller , bigger, better and just sounds great !
That's likely because a lot of 5.1 TV sound is not up to cinematic standards, rather dry in the surrounds. PLIIx will do something more with the 2-ch presentation, as you've seen.
Quote:
Think I am going to try Post processing incoming Discreet signals for blu ray and see what it sounds like ..any ideas on this ?
If you process 2-ch signals, you'll get similar results. If you are starting with 5.1 into a 7.1 system, it will flesh out the rear surround space, but it will do nothing to the total amount of surround sound being presented.
post #5796 of 5819 Old 06-10-2014, 08:55 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Do you think Classe will do ATMOS or AURO 3D in their new pre/pro?

The DATASAT looks really cool

post #5797 of 5819 Old 06-10-2014, 11:42 PM

Newbie to posting on this forum.  

Recent purchase of SSP 800 ...blown away with sound and video quality, but need some help with audio video tweaks.   I solicited the dealer to send programer to home for set up, but fell below expectations.  Looking for a top Classe programmer that knows the  acoustic details to help assist in  set up various configurations that best utilize my cabling combinations with AV processor. Open to suggestions in the DFW area .

post #5798 of 5819 Old 06-18-2014, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
When listening to music via Jremote or DLNA from my oppo 105 I often switch between analog and hdmi audio to compare tracks. The other week I noticed a decrease in low frequency performance with hdmi audio and went looking for why. Found I had to rechoose subwoofer in my configuration even though it was already selected. The bass cello's returned for a few days. Just had to do this again and hoping someone can chime in on what are likely causes. No other problems with any other menu settings getting lost.

South Florida is my Theater
Listen to live music and recreate it at home.
post #5799 of 5819 Old 06-18-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ Just to start, what version firmware is installed?
post #5800 of 5819 Old 06-19-2014, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeh911 View Post
When listening to music via Jremote or DLNA from my oppo 105 I often switch between analog and hdmi audio to compare tracks. The other week I noticed a decrease in low frequency performance with hdmi audio and went looking for why. Found I had to rechoose subwoofer in my configuration even though it was already selected. The bass cello's returned for a few days. Just had to do this again and hoping someone can chime in on what are likely causes. No other problems with any other menu settings getting lost.

I have also had experience where a bass issue has surfaced ( not same as yours , but nevertheless ) - I am running latest firmware-
It happens sporadically when I adjust the left/right surround channel ......the sub output shuts down .

This is fixed by reverting to another Configuration and back to my normal Configuration .Things then remain normal until I again adjust the surround volumes ands possibly this happens again .

A strange phenomenon also is that when changing the Sub out volume , there is a clicking noise in my left surround .......somehow there is a software glitch that is interconnected here .
I reported this to Classe .
So not same issue as yours ,but there might be a link??
post #5801 of 5819 Old 06-21-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger dressler View Post
^^ just to start, what version firmware is installed?
v2.0.6

post #5802 of 5819 Old 06-21-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsof1 View Post
I have also had experience where a bass issue has surfaced ( not same as yours , but nevertheless ) - I am running latest firmware-
It happens sporadically when I adjust the left/right surround channel ......the sub output shuts down .

This is fixed by reverting to another Configuration and back to my normal Configuration .Things then remain normal until I again adjust the surround volumes ands possibly this happens again .

A strange phenomenon also is that when changing the Sub out volume , there is a clicking noise in my left surround .......somehow there is a software glitch that is interconnected here .
I reported this to Classe .
So not same issue as yours ,but there might be a link??
Maybe coincidental but I will try another configuration and then back. Is there a battery in unit like the CMOS battery in a PC?

post #5803 of 5819 Old 06-21-2014, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ So much for the easy fix.

Does your bass come back if you cycle the Configs as Alsof mentioned?

As a search for a workaround, when you say analog, do you mean 2-ch analog input with DSP processing on, DSP off, or 7.1 analog bypass?

Do you have a specific Config assigned to the analog input? And a different one for the HDMI input? If both are using the same Config file, I'd suggest using a different one for each source to see if that forces a refresh of the sub settings that are being dropped when you go back to HDMI.
post #5804 of 5819 Old 06-26-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
^^ So much for the easy fix.

Does your bass come back if you cycle the Configs as Alsof mentioned?

As a search for a workaround, when you say analog, do you mean 2-ch analog input with DSP processing on, DSP off, or 7.1 analog bypass?

Do you have a specific Config assigned to the analog input? And a different one for the HDMI input? If both are using the same Config file, I'd suggest using a different one for each source to see if that forces a refresh of the sub settings that are being dropped when you go back to HDMI.
Set up config 2 with same settings as config 1. Assigned my input for analog bypass with config 2. So far bass comes back each time.

Odd thought, when using MCH analog outs from oppo 105 to ssp-800 in bypass mode, my bass management is being handled in the oppo but with 5 channel DSD file (no sub channel) playing and no PCM conversion there is no bass management allowed. So do any of the speaker settings mean anything with my config 2 choice?

I changed the oppo 105 setting to output DSD in PCM format, audio from 105 to ssp-800 via hdmi, and the 5 channel file now gets bass mgmt by the classe. Much better low end IMO .

post #5805 of 5819 Old 06-26-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Set up config 2 with same settings as config 1. Assigned my input for analog bypass with config 2. So far bass comes back each time.

Quote:
Odd thought, when using MCH analog outs from oppo 105 to ssp-800 in bypass mode, my bass management is being handled in the oppo but with 5 channel DSD file (no sub channel) playing and no PCM conversion there is no bass management allowed. So do any of the speaker settings mean anything with my config 2 choice?
The config file associated with the 7.1-ch bypass input has no relevance regarding crossovers or delays. Only the channel gains operate.

Quote:
I changed the oppo 105 setting to output DSD in PCM format, audio from 105 to ssp-800 via hdmi, and the 5 channel file now gets bass mgmt by the classe. Much better low end IMO .
That's the way I run my DSD recordings. I guess another option is to use the Oppo in PCM mode so it can provide the bass management, through the 7.1 bypass, but then you still lock out SSP-800 options like EQ or PLIIx, in case that matters.
post #5806 of 5819 Old 07-03-2014, 11:31 AM

All of these talks of the various modes made me start thinking...

When and why should I use Discrete mode? Is that for PCM streams only (already decoded somewhere previously?)

I run XBMC through HDMI to the SSP, and want to know what should my "prefered mode" be based on playing 2 ch, 5 ch music, and movies with all types of streams, from 2ch to dts-ma and truehd. I've always set it to discrete, so that if XBMC is sending a TrueHD signal, it can be decoded by the SSP via passthrough, or 2ch flac, or 5 ch flac, without manipulation. What happens if I am streaming a TrueHD signal and I have it set to PLII Movie for example?

Thanks for the help!
post #5807 of 5819 Old 07-03-2014, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I recently purchased an SSP 800 and it will be delivered next week. It will be my first foray into the separates world. I have been dreaming of the Classe SSP since it came out in 2008. I didn't want to get a lesser product so I waited until the opportunity presented itself, which happened a few days ago. Anyway, I have a question. I also recently purchased a Sony 65X900B 4K TV and am wondering if there will be any issues using the SSP 800 with the new 4K TV?
post #5808 of 5819 Old 07-03-2014, 10:10 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch 101 View Post
I also recently purchased a Sony 65X900B 4K TV and am wondering if there will be any issues using the SSP 800 with the new 4K TV?
It should work perfectly as long as you don't try to pass through 4K via the SSP.
post #5809 of 5819 Old 07-04-2014, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhesse View Post
When and why should I use Discrete mode? Is that for PCM streams only (already decoded somewhere previously?)
It is used when you want to hear a multichannel source (either PCM or bitstream) with no other surround processing added (such as PLIIx).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhesse View Post
I run XBMC through HDMI to the SSP, and want to know what should my "prefered mode" be based on playing 2 ch, 5 ch music, and movies with all types of streams, from 2ch to dts-ma and truehd. I've always set it to discrete, so that if XBMC is sending a TrueHD signal, it can be decoded by the SSP via passthrough, or 2ch flac, or 5 ch flac, without manipulation. What happens if I am streaming a TrueHD signal and I have it set to PLII Movie for example?
PLIIx (Movie or Music) converts 2-ch sound to surround sound, using all 5.1 or 7.1 speakers as may be connected. If the source is 5.1, it will do nothing in a 5.1 system, but will convert the 2 surrounds into 4 in a 7.1 system. You can decide which modes to use based on your personal preference. See Mode Selection on p.32 of the manual for all the options.

Last edited by Roger Dressler; 07-04-2014 at 03:02 AM.
post #5810 of 5819 Old 07-09-2014, 06:12 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Are the new classe design available yet?
post #5811 of 5819 Old 07-09-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
It is used when you want to hear a multichannel source (either PCM or bitstream) with no other surround processing added (such as PLIIx).

PLIIx (Movie or Music) converts 2-ch sound to surround sound, using all 5.1 or 7.1 speakers as may be connected. If the source is 5.1, it will do nothing in a 5.1 system, but will convert the 2 surrounds into 4 in a 7.1 system. You can decide which modes to use based on your personal preference. See Mode Selection on p.32 of the manual for all the options.
Hi Roger,
In a 5.1 system, what does PLIIx do to the signals if the source material is 7.1 or 9.1? What about Discrete mode in a 5.1 system when the source material is 7.1 or 9.1?

Enjoy Listening!
Dave

I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical.
(Arthur C. Clarke)
post #5812 of 5819 Old 07-09-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttecreeker View Post
In a 5.1 system, what does PLIIx do to the signals if the source material is 7.1 or 9.1? What about Discrete mode in a 5.1 system when the source material is 7.1 or 9.1?
In a 5.1 system, PLIIx does nothing with 5.1, 7.1 or 9.1 sources. Result is same as Discrete. In a 7.1 system, PLIIx does nothing with 7.1 or 9.1 sources. (I am leaving 9.1 in my answer even though there is no such thing as 9.1 content.)

Discrete mode in a 5.1 system will present 7.1 content as 5.1. If the source is TrueHD or DTS-HD MA, it plays the embedded 5.1 mix (which includes all the surround channels). If the source is 7.1 PCM, it will downmix it to 5.1.

Last edited by Roger Dressler; Yesterday at 04:24 AM.
post #5813 of 5819 Old 07-09-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
In a 5.1 system, PLIIx does nothing with 5.1, 7.1 or 9.1 sources. Result is same as Discrete. In a 7.1 system, PLIIx does nothing with 7.1 or 9.1 sources. (I am leaving 9.1 in my answer even though there is no such thing as 9.1 content.)

Discrete mode in a 5.1 system will present 7.1 content as 5.1. If the source is TrueHD or DTS-HD MA, it plays the embedded 5.1 mix (which includes the all the surround channels). If the source is 7.1 PCM, it will downmix it to 5.1.
Thanks Roger, for the clarification. It's nice to know I'm not losing any content when playing a 7.1 mix on my 5.1 system .

Enjoy Listening!
Dave

I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical.
(Arthur C. Clarke)
post #5814 of 5819 Old 07-09-2014, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Are the new classe design available yet?
I called Classe and I was told that the Sigma SSP will be on demo at CEDIA in September. It wont be available before then.
post #5815 of 5819 Old 07-09-2014, 05:01 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post
I called Classe and I was told that the Sigma SSP will be on demo at CEDIA in September. It wont be available before then.
So only a year late
post #5816 of 5819 Old Yesterday, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
In a 5.1 system, PLIIx does nothing with 5.1, 7.1 or 9.1 sources. Result is same as Discrete.
Are you sure about that? I use a 5.1 speaker setup and use prologixIIx music mode for 5.1 source material. I believe it widens the center image. Also the FL and FR channels are widened into the rears.
In PLIIx music mode you can specify center channel width too. (or am I mistaken here? my Lexicon MC4 had that option for sure with logic7 working on 5.1 sources).
I use XLR balanced stereo for stereo sources (with Oppo BDP95) with no post processing (2.0) or with sub (2.1).

Anyway I prefer 5.1 source with PLIIx-music over 5.1 source with discrete with the SSP800.
(I have older B&W N803 fronts and rears with a htm1 center and DD15 velodyne sub.)
Regards Richard
post #5817 of 5819 Old Yesterday, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riwi View Post
Are you sure about that?
Quite. I worked with Jim Fosgate on the program launch.

Quote:
I use a 5.1 speaker setup and use prologixIIx music mode for 5.1 source material. I believe it widens the center image. Also the FL and FR channels are widened into the rears.
In PLIIx music mode you can specify center channel width too. (or am I mistaken here? my Lexicon MC4 had that option for sure with logic7 working on 5.1 sources).
The things you describe do indeed happen when PLIIx decodes 2-ch sources. But not 5.1 -- the fronts are never touched.

Quote:
Anyway I prefer 5.1 source with PLIIx-music over 5.1 source with discrete with the SSP800.
(I have older B&W N803 fronts and rears with a htm1 center and DD15 velodyne sub.)
If they do not sound the same, something must be wrong. Are you sure your 5.1 sources are coming through as 5.1 into the SSP?
post #5818 of 5819 Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM

Quote:
If they do not sound the same, something must be wrong. Are you sure your 5.1 sources are coming through as 5.1 into the SSP?
Yes I am sure I get 5.1 channel from the source (Dune and Oppo via HDMI) in TrueHD, DTSHD or simple DTS en DD formats. Also hooked up via coax spdif for comparison.
My pronto remote runs javascript and reads from the serial port of the SSP800 which also confirms the 5.1 source received by the SSP800.

Anyway I will re evaluate the effect of PLIIx on 5.1 sources. If you say it doesn't do anything I believe you. I'll be home Saturday so I can re test it.
Maybe I just assumed the PLIIx worked on 5.1 sources like my MC4 Lexicon did with Logic7.

One of the things I miss from the Lexicon is that the SSP800 does not report in any info screen the exact input it receives. The MC4 would report DD 3/2/.1 448kbps or whatever bitrate it saw. The SSP800 does not disclose this. And even when you apply PLIIx you don't get to see the received format in the info screen (eventhough it is still reported via the serial link). Same goes for receiving PCM in various 16/20/24 bit sample size and rates. The Lex would report exactly what it received on the spdif.

Thanks for the feedback.
post #5819 of 5819 Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM

Does anybody know if Classe are planning a HDMI2.0 board for the SSP800? It would be nice to be able to upgrade the SSP800 if needed.

Will 4k video pass through the SSP800 as long as it adheres to the HDMI1.4 standard? Using the current HDMI1.4 board ofcourse.
Or is the 1080p60 the highest that will pass through the SSP800? I read the post above that 4k cannot be passed through. But 2160p30 still fits via HDMI1.4.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Classe

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page