Official Classe SSP-800 thread. - Page 196 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #5851 of 5878 Old 08-24-2014, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks again, Roger. I now have both the Apple TV and PS3 audio going to all five speakers. Now I just need to figure out the video issue. I'll try again tomorrow to see if I can get the video working. By the way, the audio is amazing with this unit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 5878 Old 08-25-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch 101 View Post
Thanks again, Roger. I now have both the Apple TV and PS3 audio going to all five speakers. Now I just need to figure out the video issue. I'll try again tomorrow to see if I can get the video working. By the way, the audio is amazing with this unit!
Assign the chosen configuration a specific HDMI input. Whichever input it is plugged into.
post #5853 of 5878 Old 08-28-2014, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
It was more than time for Classe to present a new Processor, the SSP-800 is dated, way dated...
post #5854 of 5878 Old 09-04-2014, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, there I have some very good news for all SSP-800 Ownser.

Today i have talked to someone of B&W on IFA in Berlin and he told me that Classé has already a 4K update for SSP-800!!!!!

They are working on the worldwide translations to provide this update as soon as possible and we should expect the release in 2-3 month.

I´m very happy to hear this, because i bought my SSP-800 just a few month ago and i don´t like the idea that it can´t updated anymore!
post #5855 of 5878 Old 09-04-2014, 02:24 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrThiel View Post
Hi, there I have some very good news for all SSP-800 Ownser.

Today i have talked to someone of B&W on IFA in Berlin and he told me that Classé has already a 4K update for SSP-800!!!!!

They are working on the worldwide translations to provide this update as soon as possible and we should expect the release in 2-3 month.

I´m very happy to hear this, because i bought my SSP-800 just a few month ago and i don´t like the idea that it can´t updated anymore!
Are you 100% certain of this?
The reason for me asking is that what you write is the complete opposite of what many of us have heard before from Classé, I myself have in an e-mail from Dave Nauber stating "I can tell you that at the moment there are no plans to upgrade the SSP-800’s HDMI capability because there is no audio feature it could perform with newer HDMI hardware that it can’t already do with HDMI 1.4." just to pick one snippet of our mail conversation.

I would be extremely happy if what you write is true and I would order the upgrade right away.
post #5856 of 5878 Old 09-04-2014, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 263
What if the nature of the update were to simply start making the board with the newer HDMI chips in place of the current chips. I have not investigated whether the pinouts support that, but stranger things have happened. So after a certain date, the SSP-800 is shipping with 4k capability. Now there's a board that current users can buy if they want to update.

I'll drop by the Classe booth at CEDIA and see what they say.
markrubin and urskog like this.

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5857 of 5878 Old 09-04-2014, 07:42 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
What if the nature of the update were to simply start making the board with the newer HDMI chips in place of the current chips. I have not investigated whether the pinouts support that, but stranger things have happened. So after a certain date, the SSP-800 is shipping with 4k capability. Now there's a board that current users can buy if they want to update.

Please let us Know I sure hope the will either offer an upgrade or launch a new one with ATMOS, AURO 3D and DTS UHD

My humble Cinema
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5858 of 5878 Old 09-04-2014, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Perhaps it is a software update that extends the capabilities of the HDMI1.4 that we currently have so that the "basic" HDMI2.0 4K modes can be passed through. Like 2160p60 at 4:2:0. That would be very nice already.

post #5859 of 5878 Old 09-05-2014, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Roger-what you are saying makes sense. Let's hope that the rumors are true. It would be a real home run for Classe to provide updates to keep the SSP-800 current!

See Ya,
Steve
post #5860 of 5878 Old 09-05-2014, 08:14 AM

I have been in contact with Dave Nauber and he confirms that this rumor is untrue, there is no such HDMI board in development at the moment and it is unclear if it ever will be.
He doesn't rule out the possibility in the future but at the moment no such board is planned.
The reason for this is the still somewhat floating specifications and lack of complete hardware solutions that can handle all aspects of HDMI 2.0, probably HDCP 2.2, UHD and 4K standards, in the frame rates and color spaces that it needs to be reasonably future proof.
post #5861 of 5878 Old 09-05-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by urskog View Post
I have been in contact with Dave Nauber and he confirms that this rumor is untrue, there is no such HDMI board in development at the moment and it is unclear if it ever will be.
He doesn't rule out the possibility in the future but at the moment no such board is planned.
The reason for this is the still somewhat floating specifications and lack of complete hardware solutions that can handle all aspects of HDMI 2.0, probably HDCP 2.2, UHD and 4K standards, in the frame rates and color spaces that it needs to be reasonably future proof.
until 4K blu-ray is actually finalised as a format and released none of this will be clear, so can't really expect manufacturers to 2nd guess this kind of thing and be putting out or developing solutions now

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

post #5862 of 5878 Old 09-06-2014, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I'm at my wits end and ready to throw in the towel on my SSP-800's.

I believe I have tried everything recommended but continue to get start up errors and loss of audio.
Both units have been back to Classe multiple times with -no problem found. This conclusion and the fact that they billed me every-time was insulting.
They have the 1.4 boards and I believe the latest firmware. -I'm not at home to check the actual version.
Plugged into separate Furman F1500 UPS's

We have also worked on a start-up sequence of turning certain items in the chain in a specific order.
This helped with the no audio issue on occasion but still a problem.

When these issues occur the only resolution is hard power cycle.
My family now avoids using the systems with the SSP-800's and has become a painful joke for me.

Classe's position is that these issues are inherent and not resolvable.
One recent comment that felt like a punch in the face " just like owning a Ferrari you know going in that you are going to have issues"- really!
I find this completely unacceptable for a premium product.

If anyone has any additional recommendations to resolve these issues it would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you in advance
TL
post #5863 of 5878 Old 09-06-2014, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
until 4K blu-ray is actually finalised as a format and released none of this will be clear, so can't really expect manufacturers to 2nd guess this kind of thing and be putting out or developing solutions now
The 4K Blu-ray standard will be finalized in Q3 2015 with actual media being released in Christmas 2015. Based on Classe's typically taking forever to adopt a new standard, I am guessing that they would update the SSP-800 in 2018 if at all. At that point in the future, it might make more economic sense to just come out with a new SSP-4K and have us SSP-800 owners buy new hardware if they want to get 4K.

Cnet 4K Blu-Ray Discs:
http://www.cnet.com/news/4k-blu-ray-...reaming-media/
post #5864 of 5878 Old 09-06-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux View Post
I'm at my wits end and ready to throw in the towel on my SSP-800's.

I believe I have tried everything recommended but continue to get start up errors and loss of audio.
Both units have been back to Classe multiple times with -no problem found. This conclusion and the fact that they billed me every-time was insulting.
They have the 1.4 boards and I believe the latest firmware. -I'm not at home to check the actual version.
Plugged into separate Furman F1500 UPS's

We have also worked on a start-up sequence of turning certain items in the chain in a specific order.
This helped with the no audio issue on occasion but still a problem.

When these issues occur the only resolution is hard power cycle.
My family now avoids using the systems with the SSP-800's and has become a painful joke for me.

Classe's position is that these issues are inherent and not resolvable.
One recent comment that felt like a punch in the face " just like owning a Ferrari you know going in that you are going to have issues"- really!
I find this completely unacceptable for a premium product.

If anyone has any additional recommendations to resolve these issues it would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you in advance
TL

I also get startup error messages on my SSP-800 maybe once every two weeks as shown on the attached images.
I contacted Classe and here is their response:

Please read below for details and solution to your problem.

Numerical Error codes such as 2.0.0.0.0 can be displayed when an initialization error has occurred. These errors may arise when taking the CT/SSP-800 out of standby or when powering up. The first number of the error code describes in which stage the error occurred. There are 5 stages. The description of these stages go beyond the scope of this manual. The four remaining zeros are fixed and will remain zeros. Two scenarios can exist when this type of error is produced.

1- When the CT/SSP-800 is brought out of standby, it will want to lock itself onto the last source seen before going into standby. If this source is digital and mainly HDMI, is absent or off the CT-SSP may find itself trying to lock onto an absent clock. This in turn will cause the DSP board to be overwhelmed within a process where finally a timeout is reached and an error code X.0.0.0.0 is given.

2- When the CT/SSP-800 is powered on, it will want to lock itself onto the source configured for input #1. If this source is digital and mainly HDMI, is absent or off the CT-SSP may find itself trying to lock onto an absent clock. This in turn will cause the DSP board to be overwhelmed within a process where finally a timeout is reached and an error code X.0.0.0.0 is given.

Solutions to these errors are often solved by the power on sequence of the components within a system. Essentially, the sources and TV/Projectors must be turned on first before the CT/SSP-800. In this way, the CT-SSP-800 will always be able to lock itself to the initial source without problems.

Best regards,
Carl Bastien
Technical Support
cbastien@classeaudio.com

I use a Logitech Ultimate remote to control my HT system, so I programmed it with the Blu-ray player (source) turning on first followed by a really really long delay then the Classe SSP-800 powering on in the hopes that it will be able to find then lock on to the source signal so as not to immediately time out and go into this start-up error mode where it freaks out because it cannot immediately find a source signal. Doing this helped, but I still periodically get startup errors and have to power down and unplug the SSP-800.

BTW, I started to have this start up problem only after getting back my SSP-800 from Classe because the volume control board burned out under warranty. They replaced the bad board and upgraded to the latest firmware. I think that it is the latest firmware that is causing these startup error messages because I was not having this problem with the older firmware.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Error Message_20140220.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	667.3 KB
ID:	249570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Error Message_20131027.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	621.0 KB
ID:	249578  
post #5865 of 5878 Old 09-06-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux View Post
Hi TL,

That's very frustrating. I have no direct advice as I cannot recall ever seeing that particular error message. Maybe it happened once in 4 years. Been running latest FW 3.0.2 for 2 years (with updated HDMI 1.4 board).

My 2 HDMI sources (DirecTV box and Oppo BDP-93) are always off until after the SSP is turned on. DirecTV feeds HDMI1 so I can see it pass through with SSP asleep on occasion.

I have had problems getting the Oppo to handshake initially if I have first selected that source, then power up the Oppo. To fix that I select the DirecTV then go back to Oppo (switching to an S/PDIF source does not clear it). In some cases I have needed to reboot the Oppo. That's rare. I have not had to reboot the SSP.

Have you defined any of the Remote Keys? >Menu >Remote Keys. For example, I set F1 to call Input 1. F2 calls Input 2. F3 calls input 3. When I want to start the system playing S/PDIF music on Input 2, I touch F2 on the remote. That powers up the system and selects Input 2 with one command. Maybe that has hidden the issue for me?? Dunno. Worth a try.

I hope you find some sort of solution.

One thing I'd be willing to do is to load your config file and see if I can duplicate the problem here. If you are conversant with the downloader tool, it has a backup feature that creates the file. Instructions are in an earlier post in this thread.

Roger

post #5866 of 5878 Old 09-06-2014, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs down Blown second CM5300 AMP

Last Night while watching a recorded episode of Cops in Stereo Mode on my Classe sp800 there was a loud noise form the left side speakers and my CM5300 amp went into protective mode (red light flashing on the front). After waiting a few minutes I held the button in until it reset and proceeded to watch another show also in stereo mode and the same noise and shut down again, but this time it would not reset so I unplugged the Amp and plugged it back in hooray blue light, then darn red light and I still could not reset it, then the light went out entirely so I assume I have blown the main fuse? Any ideas what could cause this? this same thing happened a week after my system was installed last year and the amp was replaced and has lasted about 7 months.
I was listening at -17 when this happened so not to loud.
the amp is fed from my classe sp 800 and runs the center, 2 sides and 2 rears. the center is a Wilson and the four surrounds are Revels about 10 years old.
thanks for any suggestions, while I wait for the dealer and Classe to get back to me, would like to get a lot more life out of this Amp next go around. except for two blu rays a week the system usually is in descreet mode and is in stereo mode 60% of the time.
My two cm600 drive my Two front Wilson speakers with no problems.
thanks
Mike
post #5867 of 5878 Old 09-06-2014, 11:29 PM

I also get the startup sequence errors from time to time.
It isn't very often but it isn't really rare either, maybe every 2nd month or so.
post #5868 of 5878 Old 09-06-2014, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoubaixPro View Post
The 4K Blu-ray standard will be finalized in Q3 2015 with actual media being released in Christmas 2015. Based on Classe's typically taking forever to adopt a new standard, I am guessing that they would update the SSP-800 in 2018 if at all. At that point in the future, it might make more economic sense to just come out with a new SSP-4K and have us SSP-800 owners buy new hardware if they want to get 4K.

Cnet 4K Blu-Ray Discs:
http://www.cnet.com/news/4k-blu-ray-...reaming-media/
reality is you cant expect a manufacturer to continue updating a platform forever and ever going on years on end. the classe 800 came out what 2008 so as a platform would be 10 years old in 2018, probably likely classe has an easier job at that stage for a new ground up model rather than compromise the whole thing with a 10 year old basis trying to make it do all sorts of new audio and video formats.

myself have a denon avp, which also came out circa 2007-8 and has had one major update already with audyssey and for 3D, denon has so far for last 3 generations brought out a new gen flagship A range avp every ten years. so be expecting in around 2007 - 8 also a new model probably also capable to support new gen 4k blu-ray and the like. dont expect them to be bringing out any update for the current avp

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

post #5869 of 5878 Old 09-07-2014, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
In order to implement full HDMI 2.0 new hardware would be needed. As indicated above there will be no new HDMI board upgrade for the SSP800.

However if you look at current HDMI 2.0 4K projectors like the Sony VW300 and VW500 you see that these also do not support the full HDMI 2.0 features (like the high 18 Gbps bandwidth). But they do support 2160p60 with 4:2:0 8 bit color. This is a video mode that is not supported under HDMI 1.4. HDMI 1.4 maxes out at 2160p30. By introducing this 2160p60 4:2:0 8 bit color mode on top of HDMI 1.4 Classe could enable passthrough of this signal.

I think there would be no hardware change needed to do this. It would enable people with 4K netflix players and a current 4K TV and Projector to keep using the SSP800 to pass through the HDMI signal. So I am still hoping (and expecting) that the rumour about the update is true.
I see the term "upgrade" as hardware change and the term "update" as software.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_2.0

4K resolution support at 30 fps (already in HDMI 1.4)
4K resolution support at 60 fps (fits in 10.2 Gbps as long as it is 8 bits and coded in 4:2:0 compression)

This feature could be implemented (as passthrough) with just software in the SSP800

post #5870 of 5878 Old 09-08-2014, 05:31 AM

i have been programming a Crestron system with 1 of these
i am having trouble with the rear speakers
using the test tones, i only get sound out of the left rear for both right/left test tones
have been through the manual & the settings (set for 7.1), but can't seem to fix it
hopefully it is just me

mark

Classe amp for the F/C/R/LS/RS
Anthem amp for RR/LR
flipped Anthem inputs and sound moved to the RR
post #5871 of 5878 Old 09-08-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaye View Post
i have been programming a Crestron system with 1 of these
i am having trouble with the rear speakers
using the test tones, i only get sound out of the left rear for both right/left test tones
have been through the manual & the settings (set for 7.1), but can't seem to fix it
hopefully it is just me
It is acting like the "rear speaker size" is set for 1 instead of 2.

Let's walk thru each step in the configuration just t make sure.
>menu
>system setup
>configuration 1 (I assume it is among those you use, "in use" is highlighted)
>speakers
>speaker config
>rear
>size
>2 crossed over (is the most common choice)

Is that what you have? If so, just make sure when you activate the noise, it is for the same Config #.

What firmware is it using?
>menu
>status
>version (what does it say for firmware: ?) Is it 2.0.6 or 3.0.2?

Have you tried a power-cycle via the rear power switch?

Roger

post #5872 of 5878 Old 09-08-2014, 12:51 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Very good point! Did you see Steinway Lyngdorf is launching an $18,000 pre pro with ATMOS, AURO 3D and Rommel Perfect

My humble Cinema
post #5873 of 5878 Old 09-08-2014, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Very good point! Did you see Steinway Lyngdorf is launching an $18,000 pre pro with ATMOS, AURO 3D and Rommel Perfect
Why did I know that was coming from WSE....

South Florida is my Theater
Listen to live music and recreate it at home.
post #5874 of 5878 Old 09-09-2014, 10:11 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Done, so it will be 2016 before we see anything new from Classe!

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1410250969

My humble Cinema
post #5875 of 5878 Old 09-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeh911 View Post
He seems pretty excited about ATMOS.
post #5876 of 5878 Old 09-09-2014, 07:48 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeh911 View Post
Glad I didn't disappoint I am not buying it thanks it will be obsolete in three years!

My humble Cinema
post #5877 of 5878 Old 09-09-2014, 07:49 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post
He seems pretty excited about ATMOS.
Tank_PD likes this.

My humble Cinema
post #5878 of 5878 Old 09-12-2014, 04:54 AM

Classe Launches Sigma Series

The prices seem better, but I am not sure of the Class D amp...
I do like the design better with the flush control knobs.
The current SSP design is so 2000ish.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...-sigma-series/

http://videos.abt.com/v/1121087352/c...ma-series-ces/

http://goodwin-hartshorn.co.uk/sigma-series/

Last edited by RoubaixPro; 09-12-2014 at 05:01 AM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Classe

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page