4Likes

post #5881 of 5904 Old 09-17-2014, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Just to clarify, it plays the LR speaker when either LR or RR signals are present. And this is true for the internal test tones and for the test disc?

What test disc are you using? Which track?

Which Config# did you set up for "2 crossed over"?

When you play the test disc, push the Info button at top of remote. Which Config# is shown?

Are you using XLR or phono outputs? Do the other outputs have the same incorrect behavior?

If you swap the RR and RL outputs, what happens?
a) The RR speaker plays for both RL and RR test tones.
b) Something else.

Have you contacted Classe? Maybe they have encountered this problem before. It appears none of us have seen it.

If you can save the backup file, I will be happy to try it in my unit, as it has the same hardware as yours (I use 3.0.2).
turned out to be a bad RCA cable...
didn't flip it at both ends

mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5882 of 5904 Old 09-22-2014, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gentlemen, I guess it was discussed that SSP-800 down sampling 192 to 96K. But is it up sampling from 44.1 to 96? I listen CD from my OPPO 105D through XLR connections. SSP800 Info bar shows: digital PCM sr:96k. Struggling to find the reason... Any thoughts,please?
post #5883 of 5904 Old 09-22-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koresh38 View Post
Gentlemen, I guess it was discussed that SSP-800 down sampling 192 to 96K. But is it up sampling from 44.1 to 96? I listen CD from my OPPO 105D through XLR connections. SSP800 Info bar shows: digital PCM sr:96k. Struggling to find the reason... Any thoughts,please?
The display on the SSP shows the sample rate of the source as it comes into the DSPs. When it is a digital signal, it is that signal's native sample rate. When feeding an analog source, it is showing the sample rate of the SSP's A/D converter, which is 96 kHz.

If you connect the Oppo through a digital connection (S/PDIF or HDMI) the CD will display 44.1 kHz. Then it will be upsampled to 96 kHz but this will not be reported on the display.
post #5884 of 5904 Old 09-22-2014, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you.
post #5885 of 5904 Old 09-24-2014, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Sorry I have not reported back sooner on my SSP start-up failure. Travel schedule has been challenging.

Official Classe SSP-800 thread.

Update: 9/24/2014
Classe wants to send out a new HDMI board to "see if this fixes the issues".
The ridiculous aspect is they want to charge $2,400 up-front and then will credit this amount when the old board is sent back.
So dealing with issues for years, my family no longer using either system, multiple trips in for service this is what they come up with!?
I'm done with Classe

I'm going to ebay them and replace the main room with a Datasat RS20i and the secondary system with an LS10. I''m also going to replace the stacks of Classe Delta amps-which also have issues of inexplicably going into to protection-for Datasat amps.

Please excuse my ranting I'm beyond frustrated.
post #5886 of 5904 Old 09-24-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux View Post
If their previous reply is true: >>Classe's position is that these issues are inherent and not resolvable,<< then it makes no sense to try different hardware.

OTOH, if you want to try a different HDMI board, maybe rolling back to the original 1.3 version is worth a try. I still have the perfectly good HDMI 1.3 board here that I removed when doing the 1.4 upgrade. You are welcome to it. Of course it takes some effort to swap the boards and then upload the correct 2.0.6 firmware. I imagine Classe has a load of those sitting around, too, and might send them free of charge. I sense you are beyond that point in your mind. Understandable.

Short of changing hardware, if what RoubaixPro suggests is true, that the problem is related with latest firmware, you could try rolling back the firmware to 3.0.1 or even 2.9.9. I have these on hand if you want to try them.

Lastly, as I have the same hardware as you, I would be happy to install your settings backup file to see if that tells us anything. It's a long shot as we have different equipment attached. But it's free.

As for me I have added 4 ceiling speakers for Atmos so my affair with the SSP-800 is also winding down.

Quote:
I'm going to ebay them and replace the main room with a Datasat RS20i and the secondary system with an LS10. I''m also going to replace the stacks of Classe Delta amps-which also have issues of inexplicably going into to protection-for Datasat amps.
Be advised the RS20i has an audible cooling fan, just in case the unit would sit within earshot. If not, then no problem. Make sure to hire someone well qualified to do the Dirac tuning.

As for the amps, unless you need the cooling fan and input switching facilities of the Datasat, you can save some money by buying the AT6007 amp (same performance) or even the AT2007 from the OEM maker of the Datasat, ATI. In fact the AT2007 is also sold as the Outlaw 7700 for much less. All solid performers.

Last edited by Roger Dressler; 09-24-2014 at 12:14 PM.
post #5887 of 5904 Old 09-24-2014, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Roger thanks for the info and offer.
I do have a 1.3 board as well but am done with Classe.

The rack for the RS20i and amps are isolated from the room

ATI makes excellent amps. The cost delta between the RA7300 & AT6007 is significant. Something to consider.
I'm also considering Lab Gruppen

I do like the active cooling and back panel layout on the RA7300

It also looks pretty cool from the front

post #5888 of 5904 Old 09-24-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Roger thanks for the info and offer.
I do have a 1.3 board as well but am done with Classe.

Quote:
The rack for the RS20i and amps are isolated from the room.

Quote:
ATI makes excellent amps. The cost delta between the RA7300 & AT6007 is significant. Something to consider.
I'm also considering Lab Gruppen
Before you decide, compare all the specs between the LG and the ATI. Even the Outlaw 7700 beats the particular LG I looked at, as attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LG vs Outlaw.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	278297
post #5889 of 5904 Old 09-25-2014, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Roger
The outlaw looks very impressive and very reasonably priced.

I'm looking at the FP series from LG. Looks like the performance is going in the other direction.
I had a FP-10000 driving my subwoofer-single at the time.
All I can say is wow! I thought I was going to do structural damage.
http://labgruppen.com/view-model/fpseries/fp-10000q

The new D series and PLM have excellent performance.
The integrated Lake DSP is amazing but potentially superfluous in combination with Dirac.
I certainly don't need Dante capabilities.
post #5890 of 5904 Old 09-25-2014, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi Trans_Lux,

Sorry to hear about your unresolved issues. I had reached out to you three weeks ago via a private message to see if I might assist in solving your problem, but haven't heard back. I'm guessing your travel schedule has been very hectic.

Regards,

Patrick Butler
B&W Group USA
Bowers&Wilkins/Classé Audio/Rotel

Quote:
Sorry I have not reported back sooner on my SSP start-up failure. Travel schedule has been challenging.

Official Classe SSP-800 thread.

The ridiculous aspect is they want to charge $2,400 up-front and then will credit this amount when the old board is sent back.
So dealing with issues for years, my family no longer using either system, multiple trips in for service this is what they come up with!?
I'm done with Classe

Please excuse my ranting I'm beyond frustrated.
urskog likes this.
post #5891 of 5904 Old 10-10-2014, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Trans_lux,

I sympathize with your start-up problems with the Classe, I am having the same issues. Mine is a dual DSP with a 1.3 HDMI board (never felt it neccessary upgrading to 1.4 since I was splitting the video off earlier in the chain via a DVDO video processor). I noticed occasional start-up failures (at various stages) after updating with the latest firmware (2.0.6 for the 1.3 boards). This has progressively got worse over the last few months with failures now occuring about 40 - 50% of the time I start up with messages exactly as posted by RoubaixPro. I have recently also now started to experience the loss of audio. This seems to occur when switching inputs or switching sources while on a specific input (such as switching from audio streaming to blu ray on my OPPO 103 attached via HDMI). The Classe seems to get confused with the screen flashing back and forth from 'wait a while' messages to 'receiving PCM'.

Based on my (subjective) impression that this is related to the latest firmware update I have just today loaded up the previous (version 2.0.5) firmware to see how that goes. Will post back in a couple of weeks if the older firmware helps.

Love the concept of the RS20i, its something I have been looking at also.
post #5892 of 5904 Old 10-11-2014, 10:26 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 363
I feel sorry for all the problems you have had with your Classe equipment.

So far I had only one issue the screen on the SSP-800 it needed to be replaced but for the past five years it has worked flawlessly every day of the week!

The CA-52000 and CA-2100 have been working now for over seven years no worries.

The CA-M600 are new less than two years old so far so good.

Every brand has it's problem the key question is how good is their customer service and all I can say is that for me at least CLASSE has been top notch, same with B&W
post #5893 of 5904 Old 10-15-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know this off topic, but I am starting to get into computer music more these days and have been downloading my cd's to my computer. I am using windows media for this and for the Rip settings under Format it is giving me 6 choices; Windows Media Audio, Windows Media Pro Audio, Windows Media Audio (variable bit rate), Windows Media Lossless, MP3 & lastly WAV(lossless). Which one of these choices should I be using to rip my cd's? Obviously I would think that I wouldn't use the "MP3" setting.
post #5894 of 5904 Old 10-15-2014, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
I know this off topic, but I am starting to get into computer music more these days and have been downloading my cd's to my computer. I am using windows media for this and for the Rip settings under Format it is giving me 6 choices; Windows Media Audio, Windows Media Pro Audio, Windows Media Audio (variable bit rate), Windows Media Lossless, MP3 & lastly WAV(lossless). Which one of these choices should I be using to rip my cd's? Obviously I would think that I wouldn't use the "MP3" setting.
I would say store them as FLAC instead.
Completely lossless and an open format, works on a lot of hardware players as well.
post #5895 of 5904 Old 10-15-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urskog View Post
I would say store them as FLAC instead.
Completely lossless and an open format, works on a lot of hardware players as well.

Unfortunately Windows Media doesn't give me that format choice. I should have added that I am syncing my music that I downloaded to my computer to my Galaxy S5 android phone for listening on some decent headphones I just bought. I was told for cd's the best format is AIFF but Windows Media doesn't even offer that. What software should I get that offers these formats?
post #5896 of 5904 Old 10-15-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately Windows Media doesn't give me that format choice. I should have added that I am syncing my music that I downloaded to my computer to my Galaxy S5 android phone for listening on some decent headphones I just bought. I was told for cd's the best format is AIFF but Windows Media doesn't even offer that. What software should I get that offers these formats?
No idea I'm sorry
I use http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ to rip CDs to FLAC, then play them on computers, BluRay player and more.
post #5897 of 5904 Old 10-15-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

iTunes supports AIFF. It makes it easy to include the album cover art. But it is same as wave in quality/size as it's not compressed. I like it because of the quality and I can edit in Adobe Audition if need be (EQ tweaks in some cases).

Windows Lossless will maintain same quality as FLAC, but as it's only 2:1 compression (like FLAC or Apple Lossless) it does not save much space for your phone.
post #5898 of 5904 Old 10-15-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
iTunes supports AIFF. It makes it easy to include the album cover art. But it is same as wave in quality/size as it's not compressed. I like it because of the quality and I can edit in Adobe Audition if need be (EQ tweaks in some cases).

Windows Lossless will maintain same quality as FLAC, but as it's only 2:1 compression (like FLAC or Apple Lossless) it does not save much space for your phone.
Thanks Roger for that. I actually tried I tunes but for some reason after I would sign in it would ask me for credit info to have on file but before I can take that next step, I get an error message say that I-Tunes quick working and I lose it. Maybe it would not work because I don't have an I-phone but an android? I thought I would be able to use the I-tunes app and do just what you said. At least windows is letting me choose Windows Media Lossless which from what you say will give me the best quality and better quality than just choosing Windows Media Audio, but it will take up more storage space on my phone. So the AIFF format that I-tunes allows will take up less space on my phone? I am not planning on downloading any Hi Rez music files as yet but never say never at which time I will need something like J River or exactaudiocopy.de as urscog suggested ,
post #5899 of 5904 Old 10-15-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No idea I'm sorry
I use http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ to rip CDs to FLAC, then play them on computers, BluRay player and more.

Thanks, I need to check that out. Once I rip it to FLAC would I be able to sync the music to my Galaxy S5 phone? However it seems like it doesn't matter as far as for my phone goes and what Roger commented about, since FLAC and Windows Lossless will result in the same audio quality from my cd's and they also take the same space on my phone
post #5900 of 5904 Old 10-15-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So the AIFF format that I-tunes allows will take up less space on my phone?
No. AIFF is same as WAV files. Uncompressed.
post #5901 of 5904 Old 10-15-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I need to check that out. Once I rip it to FLAC would I be able to sync the music to my Galaxy S5 phone?
According to http://www.samsung.com/global/micros...ys5/specs.html it should support FLAC.
A "normal" album takes up about 250-400 megs.
post #5902 of 5904 Old 10-15-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No. AIFF is same as WAV files. Uncompressed.

Sorry Roger, I went back and reread your post My bad.
post #5903 of 5904 Old 10-15-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
According to http://www.samsung.com/global/micros...ys5/specs.html it should support FLAC.
A "normal" album takes up about 250-400 megs.
Thanks, never thought about making sure it's compatible with my phone.
post #5904 of 5904 Old 10-18-2014, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Has anyone heard whether Classe will upgrade the SSP-800 to pass a 4K picture through HDMI?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Classe

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page