Official Classe SSP-800 thread. - Page 198 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
post #5911 of 5933 Old 11-30-2014, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Thanks guys for the mini feedback. I have spend a lot of this rainy day on the net doing research. I think I will be fine. Just need to dive in and start my learning curve. It will be great when I have ripped my CDs and also have the ability to buy music on demand and controlled thru my iPad. Can't wait to get started.

One additional new topic question please. Don't listen to your weak system link when intoxicated. I do a fair amount of headphone listening late night. My Senheisser phones took a crap and I purchased a stop gap pair of AKG K550 cans last year. I run these thru Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 amp and X-PSU V3. I have my Cambridge Audio Azure running HDMI into the Classe and RCAs into the headphone amp. It's worked fine but I am only able to listen to Blu-Ray and CDs.

I miss the Sennheiser sound and may also upgrade my amp. How can I move the headphone amp into the Classe chain and use headphones/amp to listen to any source i.e TiVo, my Cambridge Audio universal or my up and coming Mac Mini? I would like to be able to listen to any source thru headphones. I think this would work with tape out but that is not an option so how can I move the headphone amp into my Classe arena? I can continue to use RCAs into the amp for the Cambridge and for the mini I could use HDMI and also another digital connection into the headphone amp. Just wondering if there is a way to avoid these dual connections and have one connection to Classe and will get headphone sound no matter the source.

Thanks again

Rick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5912 of 5933 Old 11-30-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
How can I move the headphone amp into the Classe chain and use headphones/amp to listen to any source i.e TiVo, my Cambridge Audio universal or my up and coming Mac Mini?
If you are not currently using the Aux outputs, you can change all the existing Configs to set up the Aux1/2 outputs to Stereo Downmix. Can be fixed if you want to use the volume control on the headphone amp, or can be variable if you want to use the SSP's volume control. Feed those to the headphone amp. Fixed might be better, then you can turn down the SSP's volume so the speakers are quiet while using the headphones.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #5913 of 5933 Old 12-01-2014, 01:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
If you are not currently using the Aux outputs, you can change all the existing Configs to set up the Aux1/2 outputs to Stereo Downmix. Can be fixed if you want to use the volume control on the headphone amp, or can be variable if you want to use the SSP's volume control. Feed those to the headphone amp. Fixed might be better, then you can turn down the SSP's volume so the speakers are quiet while using the headphones.
Hey thanks again Roger. This may work and I can use XLR amp to Classe. Great!

Appreciate the tip. May send you a PM if any questions.

Rick

post #5914 of 5933 Old 01-10-2015, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
CT-SSP will not boot! Help!

Greetings,

I had a friend visit today. He's here from out of the country, and really wanted to see my theater. But, the Classé CT-SSP won't boot!

I have the Classé and other audio gear connected to a UPS that has switched outlets (each piece is on its own outlet), and I turn them off when the theater isn't in use to save power. (The Classé uses 35W in standby...)

Normally what happens is that when power is applied, the blue power button on the Classé blinks blue for a minute or two, then goes solid red to indicate that it has booted and is now in standby.

What's happening today is that the button never stops blinking blue. After about 10 minutes, I cycled the outlet power, but it continued blinking blue. After another 10 minutes, I turned the hard switch on the back of the processor off, counted to 15 and turned it on again. More blinking blue.

Has anybody ever seen this symptom? Is there a way to un-stick it? I have the vague recollection that a constant blue blink is what the processor did when it was having its firmware updated, but I may be wrong about that.

Power quality is good (122-124V according to the UPS), and the UPS will boost/buck or switch to battery if it goes too far out of spec anyway.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
post #5915 of 5933 Old 01-10-2015, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Never heard of that one. There's nothing connected to the USB or RS232, right?

Deadwood Atmos theater
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #5916 of 5933 Old 01-10-2015, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Nothing connected to USB. I control the processor via serial. I can try booting the processor with that cable disconnected.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
post #5917 of 5933 Old 01-10-2015, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, that didn't fix it, but I may have fixed it nonetheless. After trying to reboot with the RS-232 disconnected, it occurred to me that I have had occasional problems with sync between the Classé and the Lumagen scaler (which feeds audio to it). I disconnected the HDMI cables from the Lumagen and from the Sony 4K player, and now the processor boots.

I will continue to try to isolate the issue.

Mike Kobb
post #5918 of 5933 Old 01-10-2015, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

With all cables reconnected, the processor boots normally now and appears to be working fine. I have to assume that unplugging one of the cables that I pulled allowed a component to get out of a bad state, and cleared whatever condition was preventing the processor from booting up.

Thanks for replying, Roger. Your question led to the solution.

Mike Kobb
post #5919 of 5933 Old 01-10-2015, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad you got it to come back to life. HDMI is funny people.

Deadwood Atmos theater
post #5920 of 5933 Old 01-26-2015, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
question on modes playback. My source is DTS 3/2.1 according to the Classe Info. If favourite multichannel process is set to Dolby pro logic iix and the source is dts 3/2.1 is the Classe steering each discrete channel to each speaker in a 5.1 setup? Also why are the DTS neo modes greyed out?
post #5921 of 5933 Old 01-26-2015, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipp View Post
question on modes playback. My source is DTS 3/2.1 according to the Classe Info. If favourite multichannel process is set to Dolby pro logic iix and the source is dts 3/2.1 is the Classe steering each discrete channel to each speaker in a 5.1 setup? Also why are the DTS neo modes greyed out?
In a 5.1 setup with 5.1 source, the sound is not processed by PLIIx or any other mode. It passes through same as discrete mode. I would think that Neo and PLIIx modes would both be greyed out in the Mode menu, as they cannot do anything.

Deadwood Atmos theater
post #5922 of 5933 Old 01-27-2015, 05:23 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the explanation. The prologic is greyed out altho the dolby pl ii is not. It is interesting that the classe shows the favourite processing when the volume is changed, rather than the actual processing method which as you explained can be affected by the source. However I understand the processing now.
post #5923 of 5933 Old 01-28-2015, 06:47 PM

Liked: 11
I've recently joined the Classe family. I first dipped my toe in Classe waters with an over the Holidays purchase of slightly used CA-5300 amplifier. Today I pulled the trigger on a pre-owned 1.4 version HDMI SSP-800. Can’t wait for it to arrive.

At the moment I’m using the pre-outs of my Arcam AVR600 to feed the CA-5300. It sounds great but expect will be even better when the 800 arrives. If all goes well, the Arcam will soon go up for sale.

I've wanted to own Classe Delta series products from the first moment I viewed the beautiful curved extruded aluminum face plate. (I've been in the aluminum extrusion industry for 37 years now BTW)

This past summer I upgraded my trusty but 18+ year old Def Tech BP10’s and BPX’s to a one prior owner pair of Usher CP-8571’s. (Upgraded with Diamond DMD tweeters) I then added a new Usher Be616 center, and a pair of S-520’s for the surrounds. Other components include an Oppo BDP-105D (anxious to hear two channel through the balanced outputs and my DVD-Audio/SACD multi channel collection through the 7.1 channel analog input.)

Downloads from HDTracks stored on a tiny form factor yet 1 TB Lenovo PC feeding a Meridian Director via USB to stereo analog inputs on the SSP should sound really awesome.

After subscribing to and years and years of reading Stereo Review, Audio, Home Theater, Sound and Vision, The Absolute Sound, The Perfect Vision, Wide Screen Review, and Stereophile and generally being an audio enthusiast for well over 40 years, I have finally joined the high end community.

Having done a bit of reading on the subject it is difficult not to recognize the stature of Roger Dressler. The fact that Roger has been a regular contributor to this thread only serves to reassure me the Classe brand will provide about as good and accurate a sound as can be had today. John Atkinson’s glowing review of the CA-M600 where he states “The Classé CA-M600 and CT-M600 offer superb measured performance. It doesn't get any better than this.” may very well have been the nudge that pushed me over the edge in terms of deciding on Classe.

I realize I’m late to the party but I’m expecting great things!
post #5924 of 5933 Old 01-28-2015, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Welcome to the Classe cadre. As I sit here basking in the glory of SSP-800 sound, I want to thank you for the kind words. I feel confident you will not be disappointed in the new gear. Let us know!

How do you find the Ushers? I've only heard them once, soon after they had the tweeters upgraded. They struck me as sizzling hot, but I had never heard them before the change. No matter, the SSP has some PEQ that can be used if needed.

Talk about late to the party, I've just received my first media PC. Will soon have access to HD tracks and will also rip some of my favorite test discs and demo clips. Planning to use JRiver Media Center. Or is there something else I should consider?

Deadwood Atmos theater
post #5925 of 5933 Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Welcome to the Classe cadre. As I sit here basking in the glory of SSP-800 sound, I want to thank you for the kind words. I feel confident you will not be disappointed in the new gear. Let us know!

How do you find the Ushers? I've only heard them once, soon after they had the tweeters upgraded. They struck me as sizzling hot, but I had never heard them before the change. No matter, the SSP has some PEQ that can be used if needed.

Talk about late to the party, I've just received my first media PC. Will soon have access to HD tracks and will also rip some of my favorite test discs and demo clips. Planning to use JRiver Media Center. Or is there something else I should consider?

I have all my CD's ripped using dBpoweramp CD Ripper in "uncompressed FLAC" format and use JRiver Media Center for playback and control using my iPad mini with the JRemote iOS app.

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/cd-ripper.htm
http://www.jriver.com/
http://www.jremote.net/

All my music is stored on a remote NAS server (Synology DS412+) using Western Digital 3TB RED drives designed specifically for NAS use.
I have a dedicated music PC running Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit for playback connected to the NAS server.
It works but remember that you have to deal with potential buggy and constant software update issues related to any Windows PC.

I find this maintenance quite irritating so if I had to do it all over again, I would just buy a NAS server (Synology DS412+) and use the upcoming Aurender N100 digital music player with its dedicated iOS control app.
The Aurender N100 would be connected to my Classe CP-800 DAC using a Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 USB 2.0 1m cable. The audio bypasses through my CT-SSP and power comes from CT-5300.

http://www.aurender.com/page/n100
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aure...426081239?mt=8
http://www.wireworldcable.com/hi-res...tml#digitaltop

If you don't want to hassle with a separate NAS server, the other option is to get the Aurender X100 digital music player with built-in hard drive(s) for music storage and playback in one unit.
http://www.aurender.com/page/x100

The nice thing about a NAS server like the one I have is that it can hold up to 4 separate hard drives. I have 2 HD that are mirrored for music only storage/backup and 1 HD for my PC backup so it can cover several uses.

Last edited by RoubaixPro; Yesterday at 07:16 AM.
post #5926 of 5933 Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Roger, if you had to give up a processor, would you give up the Classe processor or the ATMOS processor? In other words, does the great hi fi sound of the Classe trump the latest ATMOS sound of the Marantz or does ATMOS trumps quality sound?
post #5927 of 5933 Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoubaixPro View Post
I have all my CD's ripped using dBpoweramp CD Ripper in "uncompressed FLAC" format and use JRiver Media Center for playback and control using my iPad mini with the JRemote iOS app.

If you don't want to hassle with a separate NAS server, the other option is to get the Aurender X100 digital music player with built-in hard drive(s) for music storage and playback in one unit.
Thanks for all the good info!

All my CD content is ripped to a Gen1 AppleTV internal HDD in AIFF (.wav with cover art), and backed up on a separate NAS which remains powered down until needed. So the venture into the HTPC is mainly for video content. It will be a small collection of test signals and clips needed for product testing and demos. But as JRiver will do HD Tracks, etc, I want to test the waters there, as I do enjoy the great quality of my DVD-A and SACD discs.

Deadwood Atmos theater
post #5928 of 5933 Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Roger, if you had to give up a processor, would you give up the Classe processor or the ATMOS processor? In other words, does the great hi fi sound of the Classe trump the latest ATMOS sound of the Marantz or does ATMOS trumps quality sound?
The sound quality issue I have with the 7702 is twofold. First, it dropped PLIIx, and the alleged replacements, Dolby Surround, Auromatic, or Neo:X, are not my cuppa tea by a country mile.

Second, the XT32 is way off the mark, it rolls off my subs <30 Hz, and tries to fix SBIR dips with boost and makes a mess of the midbass. Everything sounds like it comes out of a box . I refuse to $pend more on Audyssey Pro in an attempt to fix those issues, as I'm not confident it could even do so with the crude target curve tweaks.

With the 7702 EQ and surround modes bypassed, i.e. straight stereo, it compares very well with the SSP-800 in stereo (I have hardwire A/B switching). They sound identically muddy in my room. So it is very hard to really drill down into more subtle aspects of any sonic nuances that may distinguish these units, as they are obscured by the generally unattractive sound of my uncorrected room. I can say that the noise floor of the SSP is cleaner -- absolutely no hum/buzz artifacts whereas the 7702 has some way down in the noise (confirmed by other users). It takes some effort to detect that difference, though, and the noise can be mitigated.

As for height effects, in my room the surrounds are at 20 deg elevation to MLP, and the walls are covered with diffusors, not absorbers. I get an excellent sense of height (in the MLP), apparently so good that the difference with Atmos and Auro content is not overwhelming, as others report. I like the effect, but it does not transform the experience thus far. Looking forward to more Atmos movies.

The recommendation is to lower the surrounds closer to ear level to help the heights shine better. When they lower the surrounds in cinemas, I will consider that.

Back to your question. >>if you had to give up a processor, would you give up the Classe processor or the ATMOS processor?<< The AV7702 would go, in a heartbeat. When someone makes an Atmos processor with PLIIx and PEQ (or some equally acceptable EQ), then I'll consider retiring the Classe.
gbaby likes this.

Deadwood Atmos theater

Last edited by Roger Dressler; Yesterday at 06:37 PM.
post #5929 of 5933 Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thank you Roger, Actually I’m quite enjoying my Usher 8571 Dancers. I purchased them with their originally installed Beryllium tweeters, then after a few months ordered the DMD Diamond tweets as they matched the tweeter in the BE-718 center I purchased new. I think I prefer the Diamonds over the Berylliums.

The Usher Dancer series uses common drivers across most of the range of the Dancer line, including DMD tweeters and 7” mid-woofers. My CP-8571’s share the same driver compliment as the center but with an additional larger woofer and a much bigger enclosure. Neither Beryllium nor Diamond sounded excessively hot to me but then again my ears are 60 years old.

To quote John Atkinson once more: in a review of the Beryllium Be-718 stereo pair “The cumulative spectral-decay plot is impressively clean, especially in the region covered by the tweeter. The Be-718's midrange and treble are overall impressively flat, though a slight energy excess centered on 1kHz might—might—correlate with WP's noting an occasional upper-midrange hardness to the speaker's sound. As I have come to expect from Joe D'Appolito designs, the Usher Be-718 offers excellent measured performance."

No doubt putting the SSP-800 in the mix will make the Dancers sound even better. UPS Tracking is saying Monday.

I have become quite a fan of the HDTracks JRiver combo. (I think there may be some kind of business relationship between HDTracks and JRiver) I found Media Monkey a too confusing, then again I’m not a JR expert either. Using raw ASIO data from JRiver to a high quality DAC (a Meridian Director in my case) via USB for the first time made digital music sound real, almost LP like.

I think the true authority in this matter is RoubaixPro. No doubt my DAC is entry level compared to his Classe CP-800.

I also agree dBpoweramp (odd name for a ripping program) for creating FLAC files from CD’s is the way to go.

Last edited by JDEATON; Yesterday at 06:16 PM.
post #5930 of 5933 Old Today, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I am very happy with my processor!

I have to admit after inserting a Transparent power isolator reference, reference power cords, Super interconnects, and Super speaker cables I have a totally new system! I finally "voiced" my system with just one brand of cable designed to work together. The SSP-800 has never sounded as detailed, spacious, and open on both stereo and multi-channel recordings. It was assisted by buying a new pair of Maxx 3 loudspeakers, and a Wilson Mezzo center channel and treating the room with Vicoustics products. The point is I can now hear and appreciate all of the effort put into building the SSP-800 unit to make it such a pleasure to listen to now. It does make a difference. I never knew how bad my room was even when I had previously treated it with Sonex trying to tame reflections.
Roger Dressler likes this.
post #5931 of 5933 Old Today, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
The sound quality issue I have with the 7702 is twofold. First, it dropped PLIIx, and the alleged replacements, Dolby Surround, Auromatic, or Neo:X, are not my cuppa tea by a country mile.

Second, the XT32 is way off the mark, it rolls off my subs <30 Hz, and tries to fix SBIR dips with boost and makes a mess of the midbass. Everything sounds like it comes out of a box . I refuse to $pend more on Audyssey Pro in an attempt to fix those issues, as I'm not confident it could even do so with the crude target curve tweaks.

With the 7702 EQ and surround modes bypassed, i.e. straight stereo, it compares very well with the SSP-800 in stereo (I have hardwire A/B switching). They sound identically muddy in my room. So it is very hard to really drill down into more subtle aspects of any sonic nuances that may distinguish these units, as they are obscured by the generally unattractive sound of my uncorrected room. I can say that the noise floor of the SSP is cleaner -- absolutely no hum/buzz artifacts whereas the 7702 has some way down in the noise (confirmed by other users). It takes some effort to detect that difference, though, and the noise can be mitigated.

As for height effects, in my room the surrounds are at 20 deg elevation to MLP, and the walls are covered with diffusors, not absorbers. I get an excellent sense of height (in the MLP), apparently so good that the difference with Atmos and Auro content is not overwhelming, as others report. I like the effect, but it does not transform the experience thus far. Looking forward to more Atmos movies.

The recommendation is to lower the surrounds closer to ear level to help the heights shine better. When they lower the surrounds in cinemas, I will consider that.

Back to your question. >>if you had to give up a processor, would you give up the Classe processor or the ATMOS processor?<< The AV7702 would go, in a heartbeat. When someone makes an Atmos processor with PLIIx and PEQ (or some equally acceptable EQ), then I'll consider retiring the Classe.
Wow! This was an outstanding response.
post #5932 of 5933 Unread Today, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Wow! This was an outstanding response.
I have a Classe SSP 800 which has been upgraded with the 3D Board.
I plan on buying a 4K projector once the 4K blu ray player comes out this summer. My question is will I be able to use my Classe with the 4K projector and Blu Ray player. Classe would need to be able to pass through the 4K video feed from the 4K player. Also, I think that the Classe may need to be able to use HDMI 2.2 pass through. Can anybody help me with this problem answer the question. I really like the Classe but need to know if I have to replace it

Arnie
post #5933 of 5933 Unread Today, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ I do not know for sure. But I think it is as has been discussed in other threads around AVS Forum, possibly the Denon or Marantz, but some searches may turn them up.

I believe there will be some degree of 4k support thru the SP, but it depends on frame rates and bit depths. If the content is 24p (movies), it may not be an issue for frame rate.

Another oft mentioned solution is to use a 4k BD player with dual HDMI outputs. Feed the 4k output to the display, and feed the other to the SSP. This is the same solution many already use for 3D discs. Unless you need to see the SSP's OSD, that would work perfectly.

Deadwood Atmos theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Classe

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page