Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 5835 Old 05-25-2008, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy View Post

Just sounds like an expensive stop-gap product to me.

That would stand to reason if didn't have or understand all the facts.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 5835 Old 05-26-2008, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelMan View Post

The HD audio codecs aren't required but are convenient and forthcoming. Video processing technologies change with the weather and serve their purpose better outside an SSP. No automation for room correction but manual PEQ is included for competent calibration. The only people interested in the SSP-800 will be those that put sound quality first and foremost in their list of priorities. While the SSP-600 is a perfect choice for SD content, the SSP-800 takes giant leap forward in support of HD content. Classe' had the everything you could want AVP but it was $25K and it never came to market. Classe' did rethink their position and made the SSP-800 everything that the SSP-900 was in terms of audio but for one third the cost. A prudent move for audio enthusiasts.

What exactly in the SSP-800 will make it sound better than the SSP-600? The higher price tag?

"The truth is out there!"
post #33 of 5835 Old 05-26-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

What exactly in the SSP-800 will make it sound better than the SSP-600? The higher price tag?

I'm guessing its ability to support MPCM over HDMI, as well as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA decoding.
post #34 of 5835 Old 05-26-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPham View Post

I'm guessing its ability to support MPCM over HDMI, as well as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA decoding.

Plus a few other perks. Higher precision and more powerful processing (the SSP-600 is a 32-bit machine, the SSP-800 64-bit machine). Top of the line DACs in fully balanced differentional mode similar to the CDP-202 to ensure exceptional dynamic range and resolution. Significantly improved output stages and buffers using high quality opamps that defy discrete devices. A dedicated linear power supply using a low-noise toroidal transformer for the analog audio circuits. A dedicated dual-output, low-noise, high-current switching supply for the digital and control circuits. Analog and digital circuits and grounds are isolated from each other among and within circuit boards further improving channel separation and noise reduction. And audio circuits are isolated from video and control circuits by optocouplers and low voltage differential signal pathways.

You can read more about it here.

post #35 of 5835 Old 05-29-2008, 10:29 AM

I apologize if this information has been posted somewhere already, but I just noticed that Classe has posted a link on their homepage for SSP-800 "pre-launch information" which includes specifications as well as a photo of the rear of the unit. Based upon the relative lack of older video connections and its strong emphasis on audio quality, it appears that this unit is aimed primarily at persons seeking the the highest quality audio reproduction via its digital and analogue inputs, whether that be via movies or music, while offering 1080p video via its hdmi 1.3a inputs.

Since I personally do not need a processor to do any upscaling of my sources, Classe's choice to omit a video scaler is fine by me, although I am disappointed that they omitted an AES/EBU input.
post #36 of 5835 Old 05-29-2008, 10:48 AM

The SSP-800 has ample support for legacy video inputs but having only HDMI and component video outputs may seem limiting to owners of old equipment. Most if not all newer displays come with both and many in the last ten years come equipped with one or the other type of connection. It shouldn't be a concern for the very large majority that would be interested in a piece such as this.

The loss of the AES/EBU interface isn't a deal breaker but it's inclusion (or better yet BNC) would have made the SSP-800 slightly more appealing as it would have covered most of the audio interfaces one could ask for.

post #37 of 5835 Old 05-29-2008, 01:17 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Thank you RebelMan any news on shipping date I heard July now?
post #38 of 5835 Old 05-30-2008, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

That would stand to reason if didn't have or understand all the facts.

Facts....you care about the facts? It has not been released and you are saying it is better. I use the term "Sounds Like" you say "Facts". I will wait and listen for myself.

And I have listen to the 600 and 300 over and over again. We will see "Factman Or is that Salesman?
post #39 of 5835 Old 05-30-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:

Facts....you care about the facts? It has not been released and you are saying it is better. I use the term "Sounds Like" you say "Facts". I will wait and listen for myself.

And I have listen to the 600 and 300 over and over again. We will see "Factman Or is that Salesman?

It IS better and that IS a fact.

You said and I quote...
Quote:

I agree, should have added the room EQ and Video Processing. For the people who wanted a 3rd party solution, then they could disable the features and and use the 3rd party product.

Just sounds like an expensive stop-gap product to me.

The SSP-800 has room correcting PEQ but it dropped video processing for the specific reason that it would be redundant and become outmoded in years to come. Had you read the posts to the links that I provided (i.e. done your fact finding) you would have been well informed to know that the SSP-800 is not a stop gap measure but rather the processor by which all others will be judged. And for the record the SSP-800, according the man that's also responsible for bringing the 300 and 600 to life, has said to me personally that "it's the best processor you can buy anywhere and at any price". That's a fact!

BTW, what do you care one way or the other? Is it Scrappyguy?

post #40 of 5835 Old 05-31-2008, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

And for the record the SSP-800, according the man that's also responsible for bringing the 300 and 600 to life, has said to me personally that "it's the best processor you can buy anywhere and at any price". That's a fact!

No, that's an opinion from a less than unbiased source.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #41 of 5835 Old 05-31-2008, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW, I doubt a B&W700guy could afford the 800 anyway so what do you care one way or the other? Or is it Scrappyguy?

Yes...I like the name Scrappyguy After your comments I think you went from Salesman to BadSalesMan.

I am not ready to pay 7 to 10k for a first gen, 1.3 HDMI, Prepro, especialy when I have not heard it yet.

I am going to buy a McIntosh C2300 tube preamp with HT bypass. If or when I see a prepro that makes since then I may spend the money. For now I look at prepros as a deposable item after 2 years. I care more about my 2 channel.

Hey, I love Classe...I just hate Bad sales people I can tell you are the type of salesmen that will tell a customer "Hey are you going to believe me or your Lyin Ears"
post #42 of 5835 Old 05-31-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

No, that's an opinion from a less than unbiased source.

You have to read it carefully. That's strategically emphasised the spoken (quoted) statement.

post #43 of 5835 Old 05-31-2008, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You have to read it carefully. That's strategically emphasised the spoken statement.

"Thats a Fact" please...
post #44 of 5835 Old 05-31-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:

Yes...I like the name Scrappyguy After your comments I think you went from Salesman to BadSalesMan.

I am not ready to pay 7 to 10k for a first gen, 1.3 HDMI, Prepro, especially when I have not heard it yet.

I am going to buy a McIntosh C2300 tube preamp with HT bypass. If or when I see a prepro that makes since then I may spend the money. For now I look at prepros as a deposable item after 2 years. I care more about my 2 channel.

Hey, I love Classe...I just hate Bad sales people I can tell you are the type of salesmen that will tell a customer "Hey are you going to believe me or your Lyin Ears"

I think your line of work is blinding you! LOL I am a systems engineer, albeit passionate!

I disapprove of people that have nothing constructive to add but would rather argue a point for the sake of arguing. If you have something meaningfully to add then by all means. Otherwise your momma should have told you if you don't have anything nice to say then don't, especially when you have no leg to stand on.

Glad to hear you like Classe' though. Perhaps after you audition the SSP-800 you'll have something usefull to say. Until then learn to appreciate the info (but you don't have to accept it).

FWIW, the SSP-800 was built to deliver 2CH and MCH with equal aplomb.

post #45 of 5835 Old 05-31-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:

"Thats a Fact" please...

Did I studder?

post #46 of 5835 Old 05-31-2008, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Wow! right of that bat I come in here ducking lol...

Oh Lordy..

Djoel
post #47 of 5835 Old 05-31-2008, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think your line of work is blinding you! LOL I am a systems engineer, albeit passionate!

I disapprove of people that have nothing constructive to add but would rather argue a point for the sake of arguing. If you have something meaningfully to add then by all means. Otherwise your momma should have told you if you don't have anything nice to say then don't, especially when you have no leg to stand on.

Glad to hear you like Classe' though. Perhaps after you audition the SSP-800 you'll have something usefull to say. Until then learn to appreciate the info (but you don't have to accept it).

FWIW, the SSP-800 was built to deliver 2CH and MCH with equal aplomb.

Ouch...you told me. You are BadSalesMan, you are trying to sell us on the product that has not been released. I read posts from guys like you all the time. You may be an engineer, but to me you are just BadSalesMan.

You wouldn't know what a fact was if it hit you in the face. By the way, you did studder.
post #48 of 5835 Old 05-31-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Ouch...you told me. You are BadSalesMan, you are trying to sell us on the product that has not been released. I read posts from guys like you all the time. You may be an engineer, but to me you are just BadSalesMan.

You wouldn’t know what a fact was if it hit you in the face. By the way, you did studder.

I did tell you. You are Scrappyguy and that's a fact. LOL (In case you are unaware scrappy means one that's futilely fond of arguing.) I've read posts from guy's like you that take too much satisfaction in being argumentative just for the sake of it. It got personal when it shouldn't have and it's completely off topic.

My only purpose here is to inform on the technical merits of the SSP-800. Any remarks based on performance that I pass on are indicative of the SSP-800's technical abilities. Given Classe's track record and my affinity for their current equipment as an owner the odds are heavily in their favor that the SSP-800 will not disappoint. I accept what I have been told performance wise but I will reserve final judgement come June.

post #49 of 5835 Old 05-31-2008, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did tell you. You are Scrappyguy and that's a fact. LOL (In case you are unaware scrappy means one that's futilely fond of arguing.) I've read posts from guy's like you that take too much satisfaction in being argumentative just for the sake of it. It got personal when it shouldn't have and it's completely off topic.

again... ouch. LOL
post #50 of 5835 Old 05-31-2008, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You have to read it carefully. That's strategically emphasised the spoken (quoted) statement.

So what. It's an emphatic opinion.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #51 of 5835 Old 05-31-2008, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

OK guys.. you've had your chance to let it out.. move along, these aren't the droids you are looking for.

Lets move the discussion into something productive...

Anybody want to take guesses on when dealers will start receiving their orders? I'm guessing the third week of June, which will be the week I will be in Seattle.

As close as I've seen Kal following this new proc, I wouldn't be suprised if he (you) isn't (aren't) expecting an order this month too.

Kal, would you verify for me, if you were expecting to receive a demo model to review, you would probably have to wait until pre-orders were met first, correct? So, the only way you could get one early is if you ordered it? Otherwise it would probably be fall before you would be able to review one for Stereophile?

ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you.
post #52 of 5835 Old 05-31-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

So what. It's an emphatic opinion.

The content is obviously but not the statement. I had hoped you would have seen the humor in it after I elaborated.

post #53 of 5835 Old 05-31-2008, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikoniko View Post

Kal, would you verify for me, if you were expecting to receive a demo model to review, you would probably have to wait until pre-orders were met first, correct? So, the only way you could get one early is if you ordered it? Otherwise it would probably be fall before you would be able to review one for Stereophile?

How about Please, Kal?
post #54 of 5835 Old 05-31-2008, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The content is obviously but not the statement. I had hoped you would have seen the humor in it after I elaborated.

BadSalesMan spin?
post #55 of 5835 Old 05-31-2008, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Look, I hope that Classe hits one out of the park with the new prepro. But I want to see the implementation of the firmware and if there are any board level component issues. I do think that they may have missed a few things. But we won't know till they release the product and it is in the hands of a few AVS'ers for a few months. Even better if Kal can get his hands on one And thats a FACT.
post #56 of 5835 Old 05-31-2008, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have asked and been assured that I will get one but not immediately. That's the way it is.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #57 of 5835 Old 05-31-2008, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Look, I hope that Classe hits one out of the park with the new prepro. But I want to see the implementation of the firmware and if there are any board level component issues. I do think that they may have missed a few things. But we won't know till they release the product and it is in the hands of a few AVS'ers for a few months. Even better if Kal can get his hands on one And thats a FACT.

It's naive for an early adopter to not expect "bugs". What is more important is how quickly classe will act to resolve them, and what impact they have on use.

ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you.
post #58 of 5835 Old 05-31-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's naive for an early adopter to not expect "bugs". What is more important is how quickly classe will act to resolve them, and what impact they have on use.

Hey, I think it is great that the early adopters have the balls to go out and buy early first generation product. You state "What is more important is how quickly Classe will act to resolve them, and what impact they have on use" and I agree. As I stated below "But we won't know till they release the product and it is in the hands of a few AVS'ers for a few months" If there are problems with the units and they need to be sent back because of Board level issues, or, Classe is not being responsive on firmware updates because of learning curve, or other issues, then I would not want to be the test subject.

Again, I hope that Classe hits one out of the park. But I think it is silly to state it is the greatest thing since Sliced Bread if we have no application experience with the product.

Quote:

post #59 of 5835 Old 05-31-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:

BadSalesMan spin?

Negative. Just having a little fun at the expense of a few uptights.

post #60 of 5835 Old 05-31-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:

Hey, I think it is great that the early adopters have the balls to go out and buy early first generation product. You state "What is more important is how quickly Classe will act to resolve them, and what impact they have on use" and I agree. As I stated below "But we won't know till they release the product and it is in the hands of a few AVS'ers for a few months" If there are problems with the units and they need to be sent back because of Board level issues, or, Classe is not being responsive on firmware updates because of learning curve, or other issues, then I would not want to be the test subject.

Again, I hope that Classe hits one out of the park. But I think it is silly to state it is the greatest thing since Sliced Bread if we have no application experience with the product.

It's actually a second generation product. The SSP-900 was the prelude to the SSP-800, much of which has been inherited minus the full blown video processing portion. I anticipate a few bumps along the way given the diversity of equipment out in the field but nothing that would stall full production of the unit. It has been under development for more than five years collectively.

Nobody said it was the greatest thing since slice bread but it is one of the best things to happen to high-end audio lately especially for the price and level of engineering. The SSP-800 has been in the hands of several testers, some whom I know, and the results thus far have been very promissing. Time will tell how everything will pan out but I am pretty optimistic given what I have been told at this stage.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Classe

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page