Official Classe SSP-800 thread. - Page 200 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #5971 of 5984 Old 02-20-2015, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsof1 View Post
I use all 6 Configurations as follows :

Satellite TV with speaker levels to suit source - 1 configuration with speakers crossed over at 80 / 1 configuration with Speakers at Full +sub with E bass ( crossed over is default setting );
Bluray/AppleTV/TV " " - " " "
CD with levels to suit source - 1Configuration with Speaker crossed over Stereo Left /Right + sub only "
Other Speaker levels to reference level 80 db - 1 configuration Speakers crossed over at reference /no tweaking of surrounds /subs etc to suit source to use as reference .

This way I can at a press of a remote button listen to the different configurations/allocate to an input as a default at will .( just cannot decide which sounds better -running speakers full or crossed over - this will remain an ongoing debate , but I have both options dialled in )

Delay settings - this obviously done by adjusting the surround speaker distances ....any calculations/tips on how to do this correctly ??
I just used a physical measurement for speaker distances, except when it came to my sub distance setting. That is a completely different ball of wax! I could explain, in more detail, if you are interested.

Enjoy Listening!
Dave

I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical.
(Arthur C. Clarke)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5972 of 5984 Old 02-22-2015, 03:32 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler View Post
Patrick B&W Group North America
Hello Patrick,

Has Classe evaluated this for the next proessor it might be worth integrating DIRAC Live since companies like

- AP20 (for professional cinema), http://datasatdigital.com/cinema/products/ap20.php

- Datasat RS20i: http://datasatdigital.com/consumer/products/rs20i.php ($20,000)

- Theta Digital Casablanca: http://www.thetadigital.com/casablan...ler_info.shtml ($19,995)

- Emotiva XMC1: https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/xmc-1 ($1,999)

and the

- MiniDSP Dirac series:
http://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/nanoAVR%20DL%20User%20Manual.pdf ($549)
post #5973 of 5984 Old 02-22-2015, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3456 Post(s)
Liked: 1189
Thumbs up Link's access

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Hello Patrick,

There are not too many ATMOS discs to date 18 blu ray. I suspect that many will become more available as time goes by! Here are all the movies released in ATMOS http://www.dolby.com/us/en/experienc...os/movies.html

I suspect that it will be like
DTS MA 7.1 there are 940 movies to date ( http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/search...&action=search )

205 in Dolby TrueHD 7.1( http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/search...&action=search )

AURO 3D has almost no movies mixed http://www.auro-3d.com/consumer/

And yes please play with DIRAC they are used in DATASAT which masters a lot of movies!
♦ Test: To see if I can help make your links accessible.

Yes, they are now.
post #5974 of 5984 Old 02-23-2015, 12:30 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
♦ Test: To see if I can help make your links accessible. Yes, they are now.
Gracias
post #5975 of 5984 Old 02-23-2015, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3456 Post(s)
Liked: 1189
Quote:
Gracias
It is very simple: when you write (type, post) a URL link or IMG link (image, photo, video, ...); you never put a character @ the beginning and @ the end, that is right beside that URL link or IMG picture.

Example: a) ([URL=http://..........[/URL]) = No good
b) ( [URL= http://............[/URL] ) = Good

* In b) nothing is touching the opening and end of that URL address. ...In a) it simply won't work because you didn't leave an empty space @ the beginning, and @ the end too. If you put a character @ either one of the two ends it just won't work, the URL or/and IMG address has to be free of one space @ both ends.

See, very simple. ...And you most likely just forgot.
post #5976 of 5984 Old 02-23-2015, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi WSE,

Unknown. However I do know that Dave Nauber is always looking for ways to make Classé products better, and he was just at ISE where B&W Group was using a Dirac capable processor. I am happy to entertain any new technology that promises (and actually delivers) real performance, and I admit to being jaded by room correction software that I have used that delivers better measured performance (frequency response is flatter) while simultaneously sucking the life out of what it delivers. Clearly the software needs some work, but I think in the fullness of time will get there.

Regards,

Patrick

Quote:
Hello Patrick,

Has Classe evaluated this for the next proessor it might be worth integrating DIRAC Live since companies like

- AP20 (for professional cinema), http://datasatdigital.com/cinema/products/ap20.php

- Datasat RS20i: http://datasatdigital.com/consumer/products/rs20i.php ($20,000)

- Theta Digital Casablanca: http://www.thetadigital.com/casablan...ler_info.shtml ($19,995)

- Emotiva XMC1: https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/xmc-1 ($1,999)

and the

- MiniDSP Dirac series:
http://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/nanoAVR%20DL%20User%20Manual.pdf ($549)
post #5977 of 5984 Old 02-23-2015, 09:06 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler View Post
Hi WSE, Unknown. However I do know that Dave Nauber is always looking for ways to make Classé products better, and he was just at ISE where B&W Group was using a Dirac capable processor. I am happy to entertain any new technology that promises (and actually delivers) real performance, and I admit to being jaded by room correction software that I have used that delivers better measured performance (frequency response is flatter) while simultaneously sucking the life out of what it delivers. Clearly the software needs some work, but I think in the fullness of time will get there. Regards, Patrick
Thank you Patrick, I am glad Classe is experimenting with DIRAC it can't be all that bad if DATASAT is using it

Did you ever get plots for the AM-1 I bought two pairs to add to my B&W collection
post #5978 of 5984 Old 02-26-2015, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Need some advice with configuration and speaker settings. Assuming my input to the ssp-800 is from my oppo 105 analog outs. LF/LR, center,LR and RR, and sub to ssp-800 with RCA cables. Sacd output is DSD and multichannel. Ssp-800 input set to multi-channel bypass. My oppo 105 is playing DSOTM SACD track 1.

Question- is the sub output from the 105 to the ssp-800 -10dB down from the other channels and if yes, in bypass mode can I raise sub level in the Classe?

I'm having problems with my LFE when listening to sacd in this setup, very low levels. Looking for possible causes and solutions.

South Florida is my Theater
Listen to live music and recreate it at home.
post #5979 of 5984 Old Yesterday, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeh911 View Post
Question- is the sub output from the 105 to the ssp-800 -10dB down from the other channels and if yes, in bypass mode can I raise sub level in the Classe?
Build a new Config (>System Setup >Configuration >pick an unused one to activate). Set the Levels of the 5.1 speakers as needed. Probably can copy the same values used for other Configs for the main 5 speakers. For the Sub, add as much boost as you like.

Define a new input. just for this 5.1 analog source. The audio input connector is "7.1 bypass" and assign the new configuration to it. Now every time you select this input, the bass is elevated as needed. Select any other input with other configs, and the bass is back to normal.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #5980 of 5984 Old Yesterday, 01:50 AM

Liked: 0
Hi Roger- I just purchased a used Classe CT-SSP to go along with my 2 Classe Ct-5300 and was planning on using it simultaneously with my Marantz 7702 for Atmos and it sounds like you have an A/B switcher for this? Can you tell me what you use? It seems like you notice very little sound degradation if any?
post #5981 of 5984 Old Yesterday, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ If you are using one sub, as in 7.1, and XLR connections, you can use a single DB-25 switch box, like this:

I am using DB-25 to XLR cables from Seismic Audio, and they handle 8 channels each. You'll need 2 of the female cables for input from each unit, and one male for output to the amps.

Re sound quality -- I am unable to detect any degradation. I am using 2 such boxes, one for XLR connections to main 7-ch amps, and another for RCA connections to 4 height speakers and subs. The RCA switch is noiseless. The XLR switch makes a sharp snat (one sharp click) when I change it. I guess there's more of a DC difference between the XLRs in the 7702 and SSP0-800 than the RCAs. If the music/movie is a decent loudness, it is not bad. Under quiet audio, it's annoying. But it is not harmful, and can be avoided by switching when the amps are off or muted (IIRC the Classe amps can be muted).

If for some reason you want better switch contacts, or want remote control. this option will drop right in to replace the data switch and can use the same wires. Can either cut off the DB-25 connectors and wire them into the Pheonix connectors, or get 3 of the breakout boards shown below. It will still make the audible snat, though.

Deadwood Atmos theater
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #5982 of 5984 Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM

Liked: 0
SSP/Marantz Switching

Hey Roger,
Thanks again for the quick reply. That was very generous of you to show me all the ins and outs of how you set everything up. It's good to know I am not crazy in having both of these pre/pro's! I think I am going to try your solution so that I can compare them easily, but then I am also thinking of getting some higher end cables such as the Audioquest Yukon XLR's to connect directly from my CT-5300's to my CT-SSP. Using your switching situation it doesn't appear you would be able to run higher end cables. Are you not a believer in these or is this your solution for comparison?

I am torn on spending big dollars on XLR Cables and RCA's but it appears that most people that have higher end gear all swear by it. I guess if I made such a large investment in equipment it makes sense to get great cables too but darn those prices hurt! Do you or anyone have experience with Audioquest vs. say Kimber Kable or others? It all seems so daunting.
post #5983 of 5984 Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagledog View Post
Hey Roger,
Thanks again for the quick reply. That was very generous of you to show me all the ins and outs of how you set everything up. It's good to know I am not crazy in having both of these pre/pro's! I think I am going to try your solution so that I can compare them easily, but then I am also thinking of getting some higher end cables such as the Audioquest Yukon XLR's to connect directly from my CT-5300's to my CT-SSP. Using your switching situation it doesn't appear you would be able to run higher end cables. Are you not a believer in these or is this your solution for comparison?
You can get better cables with DB-25 for 5x the cost from Mogami. Link

I suspect the cable would not be the limiting factor, but the switchbox, if anything.

Quote:
I am torn on spending big dollars on XLR Cables and RCA's but it appears that most people that have higher end gear all swear by it. I guess if I made such a large investment in equipment it makes sense to get great cables too but darn those prices hurt! Do you or anyone have experience with Audioquest vs. say Kimber Kable or others? It all seems so daunting.
I have never bought in to the cable jewelry thing. To me, the final system quality is based on what's inside the boxes, not what connects them. I buy my amp cables from Blue Jeans.

Deadwood Atmos theater
post #5984 of 5984 Old Today, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
You can get better cables with DB-25 for 5x the cost from Mogami. Link

I suspect the cable would not be the limiting factor, but the switchbox, if anything.

I have never bought in to the cable jewelry thing. To me, the final system quality is based on what's inside the boxes, not what connects them. I buy my amp cables from Blue Jeans.
I agree with Roger. I recall an article where the renowned Julian Hirsch of Stereo Review a man who wrote more than 4000 equipment test reports, once used the term “pure snake oil” regarding the merits of overpriced “hi end interconnects and speaker cables”. The Blue Jeans Cable website has a lot of good solid common sense information regarding interconnects.
I also use Blue Jeans cables. Their RCA interconnects fit just so, (think Goldilocks and the Three Bears, but not too tight, not too loose, just so)
Once I get my Hi-Fi rack re-fitted to accommodate all of my gear (SSP-800, CA-5300, Oppo BDP-105 and a DirecTV Genie etc. I plan on ordering Blue Jeans XLR interconnects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Classe