Official Classe SSP-800 thread. - Page 202 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
post #6031 of 6045 Old 03-24-2015, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBones View Post
The issue is even though I suspect I will be able to get the measurements done relatively competently I don't have the foggiest clue about what to do with Center frequency, Q, Or Gain. I don't want the threadjack but it seems SSP related...is this the right place for those future questions?
As Kal mentioned, REW can prescribe filters. But the success depends on how you configure REW after the measurements have been made. Some key steps:

Treat the subwoofer EQ process differently from the main speakers. The goal for mains is to smooth out broad EQ differences among the speakers. The goal for the sub is to kill sharp resonances, and set an overall response curve.

For the mains, measure once for each speaker. Set the REW smoothing to 1 octave. In the EQ mode of REW, tell it you have 5 bands. set the gain for the filter generator near the lower end of the response curve so that it will induce REW to use EQ peak reduction. (The SSP-800 EQ offers 20 dB of cut range but only 3 dB of boost -- as boost is almost never a good idea).

For the sub, measure several locations within a ~2' diameter. Use 1/12th octave smoothing. Average the results. Let REW prescribe filters.

Sorry, have to run, but just wanted to give a thumbnail of the process.

Deadwood Atmos theater [HTOM]
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 6045 Old 03-24-2015, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
As Kal mentioned, REW can prescribe filters. But the success depends on how you configure REW after the measurements have been made. Some key steps:

Treat the subwoofer EQ process differently from the main speakers. The goal for mains is to smooth out broad EQ differences among the speakers. The goal for the sub is to kill sharp resonances, and set an overall response curve.

For the mains, measure once for each speaker. Set the REW smoothing to 1 octave. In the EQ mode of REW, tell it you have 5 bands. set the gain for the filter generator near the lower end of the response curve so that it will induce REW to use EQ peak reduction. (The SSP-800 EQ offers 20 dB of cut range but only 3 dB of boost -- as boost is almost never a good idea).

For the sub, measure several locations within a ~2' diameter. Use 1/12th octave smoothing. Average the results. Let REW prescribe filters.

Sorry, have to run, but just wanted to give a thumbnail of the process.
Roger, appreciate the time and the overview. I am still at the setting REW up stage. Downloading, Installing, Finding the right drivers, getting all the connections etc etc so I have a long way to go.

As advised I will check out Hometheatreshshack. That said, it seems there is plenty of SSP specific expertise right here so I might have to bother you guys again in the future!
post #6033 of 6045 Old 03-24-2015, 03:01 PM

On another note...I was reading about the Sigma-SSP and noticed it is AirPlay enabled. It looked to me if that unit was connected by Ethernet that apple AirPlay products could see it directly. Is this functionality available on the CT-SSP? I can't find it and assume not, but thought I would check here.
post #6034 of 6045 Old 03-24-2015, 08:20 PM

As an update on my sub issue it must have been the terminations. Everything is working correctly now. Thanks for the advice on moving the connections around it was worth a shot.

Just to confirm the manual is right for my set up the subs run from Sub Out and Aux 2.

A question on the noise sequence available under level in configurations. This pink noise cycles through the speakers in a pattern. Is there a way to advance the latter or to pause it on one speaker?
post #6035 of 6045 Old 03-24-2015, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
On another note...I was reading about the Sigma-SSP and noticed it is AirPlay enabled. It looked to me if that unit was connected by Ethernet that apple AirPlay products could see it directly. Is this functionality available on the CT-SSP?
Noop.

Quote:
A question on the noise sequence available under level in configurations. This pink noise cycles through the speakers in a pattern. Is there a way to advance the latter or to pause it on one speaker?
Yes. From the Levels menu, click the speaker of interest. When you touch the increase/decrease controls, the noise starts. But it also changes the gain, so you may not want that to happen -- then just click the opposite button to return it to the original setting.

Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #6036 of 6045 Old 03-28-2015, 10:39 PM

I must be missing something. I can't get the noise just by adjusting level....I have to use noise seq...
post #6037 of 6045 Old 03-28-2015, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I must be missing something. I can't get the noise just by adjusting level....I have to use noise seq...
Sorry. I was not in front of it when I wrote that -- so might have stated it wrong. But perhaps once the noise sequencer is turned on, it will follow whichever channel's level controls you touch.

I happen to like using a test disc for speaker level checks. The Spears&Munsil v2 has easy access to each channel.

post #6038 of 6045 Old 03-29-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Sorry. I was not in front of it when I wrote that -- so might have stated it wrong. But perhaps once the noise sequencer is turned on, it will follow whichever channel's level controls you touch.

I happen to like using a test disc for speaker level checks. The Spears&Munsil v2 has easy access to each channel.
Really weird. My sub is lost again. It won't play the test tone. Disconnect. Reconnect. Try again. Seems to be a randomly occurring issue. Cable short?
post #6039 of 6045 Old 03-29-2015, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ Is the sub also silent with program content (easiest to determine with an LFE test signal such as THX Optimizer, Disney Tune up, Spear&Munsil, etc)? May still be tricky in Dual Mono, as both will be fed the same LFE signal from the test disc.

Which firmware are you running? >Menu>Status>Version Info.

post #6040 of 6045 Old 03-29-2015, 08:54 AM

Firmware 3.0.2 build 102

Nothing to the sub connected to Aux2 at anytime. Either through test gone or run from content. Must be something wrong with the cable or the sub. I just swapped the connection points on the back of the SSP and the other output works now.

Sorry for wasting your time
post #6041 of 6045 Old 03-29-2015, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Roger, Have you noticed much difference in calibration levels when comparing the Spears & Munsil to the SSP's internal noise generator? I have used the AIX cal disc and noticed that my center and right front speakers were 2-3 dB down as compared to the internal gen. Conversely, my sub was a couple of dB hotter.

Enjoy Listening!
Dave

I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical.
(Arthur C. Clarke)
post #6042 of 6045 Old 03-29-2015, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttecreeker View Post
Roger, Have you noticed much difference in calibration levels when comparing the Spears & Munsil to the SSP's internal noise generator? I have used the AIX cal disc and noticed that my center and right front speakers were 2-3 dB down as compared to the internal gen. Conversely, my sub was a couple of dB hotter.
The AIX disc is wideband pink noise, whereas the S&M is bandlimited 500 Hz - 2 kHz. The SSP-800 noise is also bandlimited (in the calibration section -- wideband in the PEQ section), but has a slightly different spectrum than the S&M or other THX-compliant discs. I get pretty good correlation across the discs, but the speakers have all been EQ'd. If they are not well matched, the AIX disc will read differently. The narrow band noise is focused on the more important frequencies, so set the levels with them, not AIX.

post #6043 of 6045 Old 03-29-2015, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Firmware 3.0.2 build 102

Nothing to the sub connected to Aux2 at anytime. Either through test gone or run from content. Must be something wrong with the cable or the sub. I just swapped the connection points on the back of the SSP and the other output works now.

Sorry for wasting your time
Had/till have the same sub issue .I am running latest firmware .
When adjustments are made to levels and happened both when changing levels of Left rear as well as subs , the sub output periodically shuts down for some or other reason .
To get this back , you have to on the fly switch to another configuration and back again to your chosen configuration - this fixes it . Must be a software bug !!

Also , on Noise sequence , as Roger advises you highlight this and then move to your speaker of choice which actives the Noise sequence once you highlight either the + or - of the speaker in question ...to get the noise sequence to remain on your speaker of choice without cycling , you double click on the Noise sequence label and then move to speaker of choice .
post #6044 of 6045 Old 03-30-2015, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
The AIX disc is wideband pink noise, whereas the S&M is bandlimited 500 Hz - 2 kHz. The SSP-800 noise is also bandlimited (in the calibration section -- wideband in the PEQ section), but has a slightly different spectrum than the S&M or other THX-compliant discs. I get pretty good correlation across the discs, but the speakers have all been EQ'd. If they are not well matched, the AIX disc will read differently. The narrow band noise is focused on the more important frequencies, so set the levels with them, not AIX.
Thanks for the clarification. I was unaware of the bandwidth differences.

Enjoy Listening!
Dave

I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical.
(Arthur C. Clarke)
post #6045 of 6045 Unread Today, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsof1 View Post
Had/till have the same sub issue .I am running latest firmware .
When adjustments are made to levels and happened both when changing levels of Left rear as well as subs , the sub output periodically shuts down for some or other reason .
To get this back , you have to on the fly switch to another configuration and back again to your chosen configuration - this fixes it . Must be a software bug !!

Also , on Noise sequence , as Roger advises you highlight this and then move to your speaker of choice which actives the Noise sequence once you highlight either the + or - of the speaker in question ...to get the noise sequence to remain on your speaker of choice without cycling , you double click on the Noise sequence label and then move to speaker of choice .
Thanks for the info. I tried that last night and no go. But I this did:

Power off sub. Disconnect line in. Disconnect power. Connect power. Connect line in. Power on.

Back in operation.

Now to wait for a failure and just try one of those things at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Classe

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page