Official Classe SSP-800 thread. - Page 203 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 17Likes
post #6061 of 6079 Unread 04-18-2015, 10:54 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 428
The moving target

HDMI Forum, Inc. Releases 2.0a Specification

Enables Transmission of High Dynamic Range (HDR) Formats
SUNNYVALE, Calif., - April 8, 2015 – HDMI Forum, Inc., a non-profit, mutual benefit corporation, today announced the completion and release of Version 2.0a of the HDMI® Specification. It is available to current HDMI 2.0 Adopters via the HDMI Adopter Extranet.

The specification has been updated to enable transmission of HDR formats, which provide enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. The HDR-related updates include references to CEA-861.3, CEA’s recently published update of HDR Static Metadata Extensions.

“We recognized that HDR would be a critical feature as the industry evolves. Our support for HDR enables our 800+ HDMI 2.0 Adopters to develop market-leading products that include HDR and will maintain interoperability across the entire HDMI ecosystem,” said Robert Blanchard, President of the HDMI Forum, Inc.

“Along with the publication of the CEA extensions, the HDMI Forum continues to update the HDMI Specification and remain closely aligned with leading CE standards organizations.”
“By adding HDR, the HDMI Specification continues its history of supporting the latest formats and technologies planned for Hollywood content,” said Arnold Brown, Chairman of the HDMI Forum, Inc. Board of Directors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6062 of 6079 Unread 04-18-2015, 11:01 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler View Post
First off, great posts from everyone. Thank you for the feedback and even more for supporting Classé!
..........I very much like the idea of an automatic setup system. This would make the 3 hours we spent in Boston last week calibrating a new system at B&W Group's North American headquarters a bit easier. But, we also like intervening in the equalization process because humans still make better decisions about what sounds good, and sounding good is the whole point. Regards, Patrick B&W Group North America
Patrick to be honest I don't want to spend $400 every time I want my pre-pro to be calibrated!

I heard "Room Perfect" from Lyngdorf and it sounds great is it perfect no but it is still very very good

http://www.lyngdorf.com/technologies/

http://www.steinwaylyngdorf.com/tech...on/roomperfect

McIntosh MX150 maybe will get ATMOS, DTS:x and AURO 3D soon with HDCP 2.2 and HDMi 2.0a
post #6063 of 6079 Unread 04-19-2015, 02:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
First off, great posts from everyone. Thank you for the feedback and even more for supporting Classé!

HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, 4k 60 switching is something we would like to have tomorrow. Same goes for Atmos and DTS:X. Unfortunately, reality has a way of delaying gratification. Silicon Graphics announced their Sil9777 port processor in January of 2014. The port processor is what is responsible for shuttling HDMI content from a surround processor's HDMI input to the display device of your choice. At this point, they are only now shipping samples to 1st tier customers. Those would exclusively include companies that buy huge quantities of their chips (read: Integra, Sony, Pioneer, etc.) Once you get those chips, you still have to integrate them into your design, test, figure out what it will cost to produce the solution and go into production. All of this takes a bit of time as you can imagine. Add on top of that the nature of HDMI (which is dirisively considered a 4 letter word in the CE industry) and you've got some work to do. This is why big manufacturers have been designing their own solutions in the meantime, which is feasible when you are really big and have economies of scale.

Will there be a 4k solution for the SSP-800? Until we have a sample chip from manufacturer X, it would be impossible (and irresponsible) to give you an answer.

Moving the discussion over to Atmos, the situation is very similar. You can create your own solution (Trinnov, Datasat) but you end up with a consumer product that starts at $19k retail, about double the price of an SSP-800 and you still don't get HDMI 2.0.

I very much like the idea of an automatic setup system. This would make the 3 hours we spent in Boston last week calibrating a new system at B&W Group's North American headquarters a bit easier. But, we also like intervening in the equalization process because humans still make better decisions about what sounds good, and sounding good is the whole point.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

No "LIKE" button on the forum , but thanks for you very pertinent response,Patrick. At least we now all know !

Last edited by Alsof1; 04-19-2015 at 02:50 AM. Reason: spelling error
post #6064 of 6079 Unread 04-19-2015, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
But, we also like intervening in the equalization process because humans still make better decisions about what sounds good, and sounding good is the whole point.
Indeed. Only humans can discern what sounds good.
wadeh911 likes this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #6065 of 6079 Unread 04-28-2015, 10:59 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Any one heard the new Lyngdorf Audio TDAI-2170!

I sold my CP-800
post #6066 of 6079 Unread 04-29-2015, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Patrick Butler,

High End is for me not just a question about sound, it is the service the support for unique products like the SSP-800 how is cutting the edge.

As high end customer i know to pay a much higher price to reach the last 10% of sound and product quality.
4K is nothing new which has was released in the last 3 month and i´m wondering that classe does not announce any upgrade solution for it?

So the question was not clearly answered, can we expect an upgrade kit ( 4K + SSP-800 ) or not?

This are the future options:

a) SSP-1000 or a (different name)
b) Upgrade Kit for SSP-800
c) Both?

Please keep in mind that if i would sell my SSP-800 it brings on market 4000€-6000€ at the moment.
If there will be no upgrade available in future the price will fall down under 2000€!!! This is a minus of 50%!!!
The same price fall where as the Classe SSP-600 was replaced with the SSP-800.

I´m afraid to loose a lot money, so i like to get a clear statement.

Thanks
post #6067 of 6079 Unread 04-29-2015, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 72
So you are actually concerned about resale value? I bought this unit for it's audio playback capabilities for both 2 channel and multi-channel recordings. If you all are so worried about having an obsolete unit sell them now and buy a Denon, or Marantz, or whatever unit has all the latest "gimmicks" added to it. 4K is dependent on source material and software, how much is available right now and do any of you own it?
post #6068 of 6079 Unread 04-29-2015, 09:42 AM

So you are actually concerned about resale value? I bought this unit for it's audio playback capabilities for both 2 channel and multi-channel recordings.
--> Well if i sell it i can buy for example a Krell AV with 4K. And i´m sorry but i bought the classé not just for 2 channel audio! I use it also for my home cinema.

If you all are so worried about having an obsolete unit sell them now and buy a Denon, or Marantz, or whatever unit has all the latest "gimmicks" added to it. 4K is dependent on source material and software, how much is available right now and do any of you own it?
--> Yes i have a 4K projector as well as a 4K TV, so i like to know if classé is working on a 4K upgrade for the SSP-800 or not.

When it is not important for you to upgrade to 4K, for me it is important! I it would be more than fair to know if there is a upgrade coming for an unit which cost more than 10K!
post #6069 of 6079 Unread 04-29-2015, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrThiel View Post
So you are actually concerned about resale value? I bought this unit for it's audio playback capabilities for both 2 channel and multi-channel recordings.
--> Well if i sell it i can buy for example a Krell AV with 4K. And i´m sorry but i bought the classé not just for 2 channel audio! I use it also for my home cinema.

If you all are so worried about having an obsolete unit sell them now and buy a Denon, or Marantz, or whatever unit has all the latest "gimmicks" added to it. 4K is dependent on source material and software, how much is available right now and do any of you own it?
--> Yes i have a 4K projector as well as a 4K TV, so i like to know if classé is working on a 4K upgrade for the SSP-800 or not.

When it is not important for you to upgrade to 4K, for me it is important! I it would be more than fair to know if there is a upgrade coming for an unit which cost more than 10K!
Mr Thiel,

I will definitely upgrade eventually to 4K. I split my HDMI signals, one from my Oppo BDP-105 straight to the projector the other into the SSP-800 for audio. I don't need switching as it is a dedicated movie room for Blu-ray discs and occasional TV shows. When the 4K sources come available, I will connect them the same way, separately. I just don't early adopt anymore, and wait now. Reason is, I at one time owned a nice Pioneer Elite 510HD RPTV that was expensive for that time period (2001) Probably in the trash bin today!
post #6070 of 6079 Unread 04-29-2015, 10:46 AM

Hi,

I will definitely upgrade eventually to 4K.
--> This sounds great!

I split my HDMI signals, one from my Oppo BDP-105 straight to the projector the other into the SSP-800 for audio.
--> This is a workaround and i do it right now. But for 2 4K units it´s no solution. I like to switch the 4K with my SSP-800 directly.

I don't need switching as it is a dedicated movie room for Blu-ray discs and occasional TV shows. When the 4K sources come available, I will connect them the same way, separately. I just don't early adopt anymore, and wait now. Reason is, I at one time owned a nice Pioneer Elite 510HD RPTV that was expensive for that time period (2001) Probably in the trash bin today!
--> I´m sorry to hear this and you are right 2001 i a long time ago.... ( Probably in the trash bin today! ) -->yes
post #6071 of 6079 Unread 04-29-2015, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Hello Patrick Butler,
So the question was not clearly answered, can we expect an upgrade kit ( 4K + SSP-800 ) or not?
A few posts back :
Quote:
Will there be a 4k solution for the SSP-800? Until we have a sample chip from manufacturer X, it would be impossible (and irresponsible) to give you an answer.
Also take a few minutes to read the point of view of Dave Nauber CEO of Classe (as of last summer) :
http://www.hi-endaudio.com/wp-conten...nd-HDMI-20.pdf
Sharp1080 likes this.

Last edited by riwi; 04-29-2015 at 11:38 AM.
post #6072 of 6079 Unread 04-29-2015, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Unit Startup Failure

Greetings,

This evening, I was doing some setup work in my theater, so I had things powered up, including my Classé CT-SSP.

I finished my setup and shut things down, which puts the Classé into standby. I then realized that I wasn't sure if I had saved settings in another component (my Lumagen Radiance) so I needed to turn things on again. I waited a couple of minutes, until the projector had cooled off and fully shut down, and then I started things up again.

I ended up with the following message on my Classé screen:

Error
unit startup failure. unplug unit
from outlet and try again in a
few minutes.

error code: stage 1, 0, 0, 0, 0

I did as instructed, and after restoring power the processor booted up normally.

I'm wondering if this is just a fluke, or if it portends more serious problems. I have two movie nights scheduled for this weekend, and without the Classé, well, no movie.

Thanks!

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
post #6073 of 6079 Unread 04-29-2015, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post

Error
few minutes.

I did as instructed, and after restoring power the processor booted up normally.

I'm wondering if this is just a fluke, or if it portends more serious problems. I have two movie nights scheduled for this weekend, and without the Classé, well, no movie.
Fluke. I had the same thing happen when I was into heavy testing of code bug fixes, and the DSP person told me:
Quote:
There are times when the DSP gets into a state and it 'spam's' its host controller, rare but it can happen. If the communications is down for too long you run into a timeout and get the error x.0.0.0 message. The x just tells me where in the boot process the timeout occurred.
Hey Mike, how's the room sounding?

Deadwood Atmos theater [HTOM]
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #6074 of 6079 Unread Yesterday, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Roger,

Just to add to this post, my unit read that same error message but for some reason it would not reset. It ended up going back to Canada for repair. I haven't had an issue since then. My priority was always stereo playback and I'm telling you this unit still sounds as good as ever on 2 channel and definitely multi channel discs. My dealer is trying to talk me into a Theta Casablanca.
post #6075 of 6079 Unread Yesterday, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Fluke. I had the same thing happen when I was into heavy testing of code bug fixes
Phew. I hope that's all it is. Thanks.

Quote:
Hey Mike, how's the room sounding?
Pretty much exactly as it was when you came to visit, although I did just discover that one of the Velodyne amplifiers somehow managed to reset itself to its default volume level, which is lower than what it was supposed to be. Not sure if that happened before or after your visit, and I haven't had a chance to revisit the same clips.

We're still trying to get the Trinnov folks to check out the EQ stuff you suggested. Haven't gotten everybody synced up yet but hopefully that'll happen soon!

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
post #6076 of 6079 Unread Yesterday, 09:55 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Thank you Classe for not upgrading the SSP-800 every other year and waiting for the dust to settle so that you can incorporate the latest and we don't have to buy a new processor every year!!

Chasing the latest and greatest is often a losing battle from your wallet's perspective. If you can afford it, great. But most of us can't afford to keep replacing equipment every year or every other year.
post #6077 of 6079 Unread Yesterday, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post

Error
few minutes.

I too, run into the same error code probably once a month. I power everything down, then all is o.k. I'm happy the 800 reliably fires back up to normal status, thus far.

Enjoy Listening!
Dave

I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical.
(Arthur C. Clarke)
post #6078 of 6079 Unread Today, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hi Mr. Thiel,

I apologize for not being able to give you an answer beyond "we don't know" on the topic of whether or not there will be a 4K upgrade for the SSP800. Until we have a chipset to work with, there is simply no way of knowing how it will integrate into the present architecture of the SSP800.

If what you need right now is 4k switching, by all means you should buy a product that does that for you. You are correct that 4k is not new. 4k displays have been shipping for well over a year. That said, the transmission line to deliver 4k content to a 4k display device (HDMI 2.0, HDCP2.2, 4K/60) is very new. Those of us in the industry who have dealt with new HDMI standards (protocols actually) know what every time a new HDMI standard comes to market, a pile of headaches comes with the deal. The smart money always waits for the issues to be solved before jumping onboard.

Good Luck.

Quote:
Hello Patrick Butler,

High End is for me not just a question about sound, it is the service the support for unique products like the SSP-800 how is cutting the edge.

As high end customer i know to pay a much higher price to reach the last 10% of sound and product quality.
4K is nothing new which has was released in the last 3 month and i´m wondering that classe does not announce any upgrade solution for it?

This are the future options:

a) SSP-1000 or a (different name)
b) Upgrade Kit for SSP-800
c) Both?

Please keep in mind that if i would sell my SSP-800 it brings on market 4000€-6000€ at the moment.
If there will be no upgrade available in future the price will fall down under 2000€!!! This is a minus of 50%!!!
The same price fall where as the Classe SSP-600 was replaced with the SSP-800.

I´m afraid to loose a lot money, so i like to get a clear statement.

Thanks

Last edited by Patrick Butler; Today at 01:39 PM.
post #6079 of 6079 Unread Today, 10:19 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi Mr. Thiel,

I apologize for not being able to give you an answer beyond "we don't know" on the topic of whether or not there will be a 4K upgrade for the SSP800. Until we have a chipset to work with, there is simply no way of knowing how it will integrate into the present architecture of the SSP800.

If what you need right now is 4k switching, by all means you should buy a product that does that for you. You are correct that 4k is not new. 4k displays have been shipping for well over a year. That said, the transmission line to deliver 4k content to a 4k display device (HDMI 2.0, HDCP2.2, 4K/60) is very new. Those of us in the industry who have dealt with new HDMI standards (protocols actually) know what every time a new HDMI standard comes to market, a pile of headaches comes with the deal. The smart money always waits for the issues to be solved before jumping onboard.

Good Luck.
I am waiting patiently until the dust settles plus there are no BLU RAY 4K movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Classe