Official Classe SSP-800 thread. - Page 204 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 20Likes
post #6091 of 6117 Old 07-08-2015, 12:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by green giant View Post
I also heard from a very reliable source yesterday that Classe is anticipating continuing to support the SSP800 with a 4k upgrade available in the future, hopefully the fall.
That is great news!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6092 of 6117 Old 07-10-2015, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
That is great news!
I second that, it is indeed! I am about to jump on the classé SSP 800 wagon, and it would be fantastic if my Investment would be upgradible in the future! Fingers crossed!
Am going to demo a SSP 800/CA5300/2300 combo at my local dealer in about 2 weeks!
post #6093 of 6117 Old 07-10-2015, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallanikkelsen View Post
I second that, it is indeed! I am about to jump on the classé SSP 800 wagon, and it would be fantastic if my Investment would be upgradible in the future! Fingers crossed!
Am going to demo a SSP 800/CA5300/2300 combo at my local dealer in about 2 weeks!

I hope 4K becomes an option for the SSP 800 as well, but until Patrick Butler weighs in I’m not quite taking it to the bank.

As a recent convert to the SSP 800 / CA 5300 family I can tell you sonically and functionally you will not be disappointed.

For me this combo works flawlessly, both in the digital and analog domain, no quirks, hiccups, or frustrations whatsoever.
From a sound perspective for me its magical, the best I have ever heard.

Hope you experience is the same.
post #6094 of 6117 Old 07-16-2015, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

So it is not official that the SSP-800 has a 4k pass through in HDMI as of yet?
post #6095 of 6117 Old 07-16-2015, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
No
post #6096 of 6117 Old 07-16-2015, 12:42 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Wink

Quote:
Hello there ..... I am currentlly in the process of deciding what components I want for my new home theater and currently I am trying to calculate what my wishes will set me back moneywise.
One of the things I have all reddy decided apon, is that the final setup should be made up out of Classé amps and B&W speakers in the 800 series. So far, the list comes down to the following:
Classé Delta SSP 800 pre processor and Classé CA 5300 power amplifier.
Setup-speaker wise, I am planning on setting up a 7.1 system, using the following speakers, as my room is not that large.......
Alan, if you room is not that large here is what I would do

- Classe Sigma SSP (http://www.classeaudio.com/products/sigma-ssp.php)
- Classe Sigma AMP5
- Classe Sigma AMP2

- 7 B&W 805Diamond all around
- 4 B&W PV1D Subs or JL Audio E-Sub e110 or 4 ELAC S12EQ

Or if you can do in wall there are a couple of options I can think of

Last edited by wse; 07-16-2015 at 12:46 PM.
post #6097 of 6117 Old 07-16-2015, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
That is great news!
This is really great that Classe will support the 800, if true.

I'm still in love with this unit. I would rather invest in an upgrade than buy something new.

I've had the 800 since HDMI 1.3 to 1.4 upgrade. In fact I ordered right as 1.4 was released for this unit. This unit will compete with many stand alone stereo pre-amps. Just an awesome unit for a combined HT/stereo set-up.

If Classe does offer an upgrade path for this $10k unit they will continue to have me as a customer for a very long time. This is how to look over your Customer base.

Let's see how it plays out as we prepare for the next wave in audio/video.

Rick
post #6098 of 6117 Old 07-16-2015, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
This is really great that Classe will support the 800, if true.

I'm still in love with this unit. I would rather invest in an upgrade than buy something new.

I've had the 800 since HDMI 1.3 to 1.4 upgrade. In fact I ordered right as 1.4 was released for this unit. This unit will compete with many stand alone stereo pre-amps. Just an awesome unit for a combined HT/stereo set-up.

If Classe does offer an upgrade path for this $10k unit they will continue to have me as a customer for a very long time. This is how to look over your Customer base.

Let's see how it plays out as we prepare for the next wave in audio/video.

Rick
Rick we picked the SSP-800 for the same reasons. It has the sound quality of a top two channel preamp and also is a great surround sound processor. I hope they do have an upgrade path so it will pass 4K video. Not in the mood to buy another preamp/processor right at this time!
post #6099 of 6117 Old 07-16-2015, 11:04 PM

Thanks so much for your input also. This will be taken into considderation as well in the coming weeks.

All the best from Allan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Alan, if you room is not that large here is what I would do

- Classe Sigma SSP (http://www.classeaudio.com/products/sigma-ssp.php)
- Classe Sigma AMP5
- Classe Sigma AMP2

- 7 B&W 805Diamond all around
- 4 B&W PV1D Subs or JL Audio E-Sub e110 or 4 ELAC S12EQ

Or if you can do in wall there are a couple of options I can think of
post #6100 of 6117 Old 07-16-2015, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I'm hoping that Classe implements the changes soon that will indeed keep our units "up to date". I still enjoy my unit daily and bought it for audio quality first! I have to admit I have started to read up on the Theta Casablanca IV. Just this I've week swapped out my Mark Levinson amps for the new Theta Prometheus monoblocks.
post #6101 of 6117 Old 07-17-2015, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
I'm hoping that Classe implements the changes soon that will indeed keep our units "up to date". I still enjoy my unit daily and bought it for audio quality first! I have to admit I have started to read up on the Theta Casablanca IV. Just this I've week swapped out my Mark Levinson amps for the new Theta Prometheus monoblocks.
I have the new Theta Dreadnaught D with essentially same technology as the Prometheus. You will love those new amps! Amazing sound quality! Yes I have thought about the Casablanca IV also. But right now I am sticking with my Classe SSP-800. I really love the analog bypass for two channel music playback!
post #6102 of 6117 Old 07-17-2015, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have the new Theta Dreadnaught D with essentially same technology as the Prometheus. You will love those new amps! Amazing sound quality! Yes I have thought about the Casablanca IV also. But right now I am sticking with my Classe SSP-800. I really love the analog bypass for two channel music playback!
I agree, sticking with it. The analog bypass was the selling point for me. I seems that we have similar equipment. I have read your posts in the Theta thread now that I once again own Theta gear.
post #6103 of 6117 Old 07-17-2015, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I would love to hear more comments in regards to comparisons between the SSP 800 and the theta CB4. I am preparing to purchase a new pre/pro and these two units are high on my list.

There are a few posts that have mentioned the Ssp 800 is buggy. Is this still an issue with the latest software?

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #6104 of 6117 Old 07-17-2015, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
I would love to hear more comments in regards to comparisons between the SSP 800 and the theta CB4. I am preparing to purchase a new pre/pro and these two units are high on my list.

There are a few posts that have mentioned the Ssp 800 is buggy. Is this still an issue with the latest software?
The SSP-800 is not buggy any longer.
post #6105 of 6117 Old 07-17-2015, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It has been a long time since the SSP-800 has been buggy as far as I know.
post #6106 of 6117 Old 07-17-2015, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

With regard to room correction does the ssp's manual EQ provide good results? I would need to purchase a measuring tool (XTZ, omni-mike) to define the filters. Or, I could purchase an anti mode or a separate Dirac box.

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #6107 of 6117 Old 07-17-2015, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
With regard to room correction does the ssp's manual EQ provide good results? I would need to purchase a measuring tool (XTZ, omni-mike) to define the filters. Or, I could purchase an anti mode or a separate Dirac box.
The EQ section provides 5 bands for each channel. Each band with frequency selection, Q, and gain adjustment. For my room, 5 bands is more than adequate. I have used the XTZ measuring tool, with fairly good success.
Sharp1080 likes this.

Enjoy Listening!
Dave

I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical.
(Arthur C. Clarke)
post #6108 of 6117 Old 07-17-2015, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Guys for the feedback. I am definitely leaning towards the SSP 800; I will be buying used and it appears to be more affordable than the CB units with comparable features.

I used to be a die-hard two channel guy, but my preference has changed to multi-channel music and home theater. I'm 90% home theater as I no longer have the time to just sit and listen to music.

post #6109 of 6117 Old 07-17-2015, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Guys for the feedback. I am definitely leaning towards the SSP 800; I will be buying used and it appears to be more affordable than the CB units with comparable features.

I used to be a die-hard two channel guy, but my preference has changed to multi-channel music and home theater. I'm 90% home theater as I no longer have the time to just sit and listen to music.
Once acquired, I think you might have to change your balance as I have had to. The multi channel side is amazing of course. The cool aspect about the SSP-800 is that it will draw you deep into the music, and the next thing you know you are grinning and enjoying the moment. I agree that the Theta CB has always been upper scale in price. I am waiting for my dealer to get their unit to listen on my own accord. I think the Theta might be a little more dynamic in it's presentation just going off of my past history with them.
post #6110 of 6117 Old 07-19-2015, 07:01 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Exclamation

Quote:
Thanks so much for your input also. This will be taken into consideration as well in the coming weeks. All the best from Allan
You are welcome
post #6111 of 6117 Old 07-25-2015, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
mute function

I have had my CT SSP for several months now and absolutely love it, but there is a minor annoyance I do not think existed earlier and I have been unable to fix it. Press mute button and sure enough no sound press mute again and volume comes back at same volume it was just before pressing mute button the first time--perfect. Press mute button then press volume up or volume down and mute turns off but volume is at minus 85, audible volume will come back but I have to keep pressing volume up for quite a while--annoying, how does one fix this? Thank you.
post #6112 of 6117 Old 07-25-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totallyconfused View Post
I have had my CT SSP for several months now and absolutely love it, but there is a minor annoyance I do not think existed earlier and I have been unable to fix it. Press mute button and sure enough no sound press mute again and volume comes back at same volume it was just before pressing mute button the first time--perfect. Press mute button then press volume up or volume down and mute turns off but volume is at minus 85, audible volume will come back but I have to keep pressing volume up for quite a while--annoying, how does one fix this? Thank you.
My SSP 800 behaves the same way. Guess if we hit mute we have to hit mute again to restore the previous volume level, otherwise when muted, hitting the volume up or down results in - - -.
In other words no volume whatsoever; the first push on volume up is -100 db.

Consider this a "feature" not a "bug" (I agree hitting volume up or down from mute should restore volume to the previous level)

If this is the only issue, I'm fine with it because I absolutely love how this thing sounds!

Then again there may be a way to program how our SSP's respond from being muted. Your unit comes back at -85 db, mine comes back at zip/nada. Hmmm...

Last edited by JDEATON; 07-25-2015 at 03:01 PM. Reason: further consideration
post #6113 of 6117 Old 07-25-2015, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEATON View Post
My SSP 800 behaves the same way. Guess if we hit mute we have to hit mute again to restore the previous volume level, otherwise when muted, hitting the volume up or down results in - - -.
In other words no volume whatsoever; the first push on volume up is -100 db.

Consider this a "feature" not a "bug" (I agree hitting volume up or down from mute should restore volume to the previous level)

If this is the only issue, I'm fine with it because I absolutely love how this thing sounds!

Then again there may be a way to program how our SSP's respond from being muted. Your unit comes back at -85 db, mine comes back at zip/nada. Hmmm...
Agreed, love the unit, even better than the Anthem D2v 3D I have downstairs, but still it is a PIA, I am thinking it is a programming or setting issue. Nothing else I have had had this "feature" and often I just hit the up volume to get on with business like I do with all of my other electronics and then mine does come back to ____ like yours, before I sent my query to this forum I checked and it said -85 but thought that was because I set max volume at 85, anyway it is zip/nada, I'll bet there is a fix, can't believe you and I are the only two to bring this up. I did do a search on this forum for "mute", lots of hits but nothing about this situation. Hopefully, Roger or one of the other hot shots will come on and straighten out this matter. Thanks for your response, glad I am not the only one to be exasperated by this situation. Then again, how lazy can I be, I know to hit the mute button again, but I usually just hit a volume key like I do on my other systems. Thanks.
post #6114 of 6117 Old 07-26-2015, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 594
^^ I always thought it was intentional. I've just learned to unmute rather than turning the volume as I might do with my TV. But sometimes I still forget...

Deadwood Atmos theater [HTOM]
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #6115 of 6117 Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM

Hello Again

First off, yesterday I was at my local dealer where I had an absolutely terific Classé SSP 800/B&W 800 demo!! Wow, what an amazing soundstage I was precented!!
I both did some star wars demos, a clip from Interstellar as well as my favorite clip from The lion King!

Along with these demos, as well as some great stereo clips also, I was quickly Falling in love with these great unit, at at the end of the session I decided that I had to make a purchase as soon as possible!

However, I have something I'd like to ask inhere, just to be on the safe side. My dealer told me that the SSP 800 cannot be controled by the Classé app found in the app-store for the iPhone. Is this correct? I seem to have read somewhare that an upgrade Card had been produced so that controle of the SSP could indeed be acheved via the Classé app. Am I wrong about this?

All the best from Allan

Last edited by mallanikkelsen; Yesterday at 12:24 PM.
post #6116 of 6117 Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Hello Again

First off, yesterday I was at my local dealer where I had an absolutely terific Classé SSP 800/B&W 800 demo!! Wow, what an amazing soundstage I was precented!!
I both did some star wars demos, a clip from Interstellar as well as my favorite clip from The lion King!

Along with these demos, as well as some great stereo clips also, I was quickly Falling in love with these great unit, at at the end of the session I decided that I had to make a purchase as soon as possible!

However, I have something I'd like to ask inhere, just to be on the safe side. My dealer told me that the SSP 800 cannot be controled by the Classé app found in the app-store for the iPhone. Is this correct? I seem to have read somewhare that an upgrade Card had been produced so that controle of the SSP could indeed be acheved via the Classé app. Am I wrong about this?

All the best from Allan
I downloaded this app on my iPhone and iPad which is actually designed to control for the”CP-800” (The CP-800 is a D/A Processor/ Stereo Preamplifier.)

It is a very cool app with a great feel. Unfortunately it does not control the SSP-800. Whether or not it could some day with an upgrade to the SSP-800 I do not know.

What I am really enjoying is the Harmony Ultimate Home remote. The Ultimate Home has the added benefit of IR, RS, IP, and Bluetooth connectivity as well as controlling all your devices including a PS3, and a fairly slick interface/feel.

From my perspective I would say don’t let the fact this app doesn’t work with the SSP-800 dissuade you from purchasing. My Classe Pre-pro works flawlessly, and sounds amazing. Glad I bought it.
post #6117 of 6117 Unread Today, 05:03 AM

Hi

Thanks so much for your reply. Well, then my dealer was right, just wanted to be completely sure, as I seem to have been reading something else somewhare!

*smiles* dont worry, the fact that the app does not Work will not in any way detract my intrest from the unit! The app function would just had been a very nice fiture to have, however the Classé remote itself has a fantastic great selection of options which I also like very much.

All the best from Allan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Classe

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page