Official Classe SSP-800 thread. - Page 207 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 26Likes
post #6181 of 6185 Old 08-25-2015, 04:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
I can stream audio from my MacMini to a variety of prepros via HDMI when I use jRiver.
I have become a big fan of JRiver and JRemote as a means of listening to and controlling my audio only via my SSP-800/CA-5300 combo.

I have a really small form factor Lenovo “desk top PC” (about the size of 3 packs of 100MM cigarettes) with a One TB hard drive, multiple USB ports and an HDMI output. (Any modern PC would work fine)

The little Lenovo now has the Windows 10 operating system. (Think I'm going to like 10 better than 8)

Of course JRiver Media Center 20 (latest version) has been installed.

JRemote controls my HDTracks music download selections and volume if I choose to use the JRiver volume control.

I currently use either an iPhone or an iPad as the “JRemote interface”.

To play back “lossless” (up to 24-bit 192 kHz) 2 channel audio, I am using an ASIO audio driver to feed a Meridian Director DAC (relatively inexpensive) via one on the Lenovo USB outputs.

Of course the Meridian output is 2 channel analog, but the sound is magical. Press play on the re-mastered 24/96 Led Zeppelin II cranked up to -6 and you will be transported to your youth.

My listening preference is (once again) 2 channel with the sub engaged, but one can also apply Dolby PL2 Music or DTS Neo 6 or any number of other surround modes if you so choose.

In my opinion, the SSP-800 does analog really really well.

I have not tried HDMI audio out from the Lenovo, but I have used the HDMI audio out from my Oppo 105D to play back Hi-Rez (HDTracks) streamed from my office PC with good results.

I think my preference is analog audio via the Meridian DAC however.

In any case, I am a big fan of my Classe combo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6182 of 6185 Old 08-25-2015, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikdoc View Post
i should qualify my answer. you can't bitstream the lossless codecs (Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA) from OSX to the Classe and let it work its magic.
Ah. I defer to you since I have never tried to do that.

Quote:
........................... plus, i don't ever want to be on the wrong side of an argument with Kal....
Well, in this case, you were on the right side!

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #6183 of 6185 Old 08-25-2015, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEATON View Post
I have become a big fan of JRiver and JRemote as a means of listening to and controlling my audio only via my SSP-800/CA-5300 combo.

I have a really small form factor Lenovo “desk top PC” (about the size of 3 packs of 100MM cigarettes) with a One TB hard drive, multiple USB ports and an HDMI output. (Any modern PC would work fine)

The little Lenovo now has the Windows 10 operating system. (Think I'm going to like 10 better than 8)

Of course JRiver Media Center 20 (latest version) has been installed.

JRemote controls my HDTracks music download selections and volume if I choose to use the JRiver volume control.

I currently use either an iPhone or an iPad as the “JRemote interface”.

To play back “lossless” (up to 24-bit 192 kHz) 2 channel audio, I am using an ASIO audio driver to feed a Meridian Director DAC (relatively inexpensive) via one on the Lenovo USB outputs.

Of course the Meridian output is 2 channel analog, but the sound is magical. Press play on the re-mastered 24/96 Led Zeppelin II cranked up to -6 and you will be transported to your youth.

My listening preference is (once again) 2 channel with the sub engaged, but one can also apply Dolby PL2 Music or DTS Neo 6 or any number of other surround modes if you so choose.

In my opinion, the SSP-800 does analog really really well.

I have not tried HDMI audio out from the Lenovo, but I have used the HDMI audio out from my Oppo 105D to play back Hi-Rez (HDTracks) streamed from my office PC with good results.

I think my preference is analog audio via the Meridian DAC however.

In any case, I am a big fan of my Classe combo.
i love jriver's audio quality too. you might like to try out the JRiver ID. it's a NUC (tiny computer) with jriver server software built-in and acts as an always on media server for your home. it's super low power and is great when you don't want to turn the computer on just to listen to music. the great thing is that it can bitstream audio out thru usb to a classe CP-800 or over hdmi to the SSP-800 allowing the classe dacs to process the music. it can also stream via DLNA over your home wifi network to any number of devices including the oppo and your computer. the jriver remote app for iOS works nicely too.
post #6184 of 6185 Unread Today, 04:39 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
I always recommend education and DIY as relying on non-professionals means you have to qualify them and relying on professionals means you have to pay them (often more than once). The advantage of DIY is not only saving money but being able to apply yourself until you achieve complete satisfaction without watching the clock.

2. XTZ Room Analyzer II Pro (http://www.xtzsound.us/shop-en/measu...nalyzer-ii-pro) A relatively straight-forward and integrated solution which I have used with the SSP-800.
How did you like that did it really make an improvement!
post #6185 of 6185 Unread Today, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
How did you like that did it really make an improvement!
I would not have recommended it if it did not. See: http://www.stereophile.com/content/m...41a0caDgxmj.97

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Classe

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page