Official Classe SSP-800 thread. - Page 215 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 68Likes
post #6421 of 6449 Unread 06-09-2016, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Let us know how this resolves.
Just a thought on a few fronts trying to get multiple ( in my case 2 B&W Db1s which has plenty leeway for adjustments and tweaks via the Sub App ) subs to possibly work for you .

Not that scientific but worked for me

Firstly as far as the SSP 800 is concerned ,I have tried the Aux outs for the second sub , however in my opinion the bass sounds much better when I use a splitter out of the Sub out and tweak the volumes individually using the subs themselves - just another way of doing things , but to me sounds better .

Nevertheless , I also had a mid bass issue due to my room being far from great and a huge suck out at 52 to 70 hz .
My solution (as I have the amplification power and speakers) is to run my B&W800s, HTM2 centre and 804s full + sub (use eBass) with all below 80Hz also passing through to the subs as well ..brought the mid bass back as well as smoothed out the complete bass response in the room .
Worked for me -maybe you can try this as an experiment .

If you read the Q&A on SP800 support page ,Classe in fact states that this method is used to correct a bass problem ....

Quote :
EBass is a way of directing low frequency information to your sub even when your speakers are set to full range. This can sometimes be useful in achieving smooth bass response at the listening position.
If you have all your speakers set to full range with the sub enabled and have ebass engaged then a full range signal will go to all your speakers but the frequencies below the crossover point will also be duplicated in the sub. If you are playing 5.1 material these frequencies will be added to the discrete .1 track.

Therefore if you have your speakers set to full range, but with the crossover at 80Hz, the frequencies below 80Hz will be sent to the speaker and duplicated in the sub.

Unquote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6422 of 6449 Unread 06-09-2016, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Roger, thanks a bunch for your thoughtful and most knowledgeable advice. I am still trying to figure out what to do with the readings from my UMIK-1 and REW, I know there is a lot of very good information available on how to interpret the graphs I made, just haven't gotten around to it yet. In any event, I will follow your suggestions and get back to this forum with my results. Thanks again, you are a huge asset to this forum.
post #6423 of 6449 Unread 07-08-2016, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I just added a stereo amplifier for the surround back channels in my SSP-800 system.

I also added a configuration to enable all 7.1 speakers.

I enabled the surround back speakers adjusted the distance and levels and selected my new configuration in the set up menu. I then tested the system with The Hunger Games Mocking Jay part 1. (Dolby Atmos but plays in Dolby True HD 7.1 in the Classe SSP)

Everything including the surround back channels worked great.

My question: Having added and configured surround back speakers, I can now select Dolby Digital EX in the mode menu of the SSP for the DirecTV input. (Before DD EX was grayed out and I went with discrete which most of the time played back DD 3.2.1 (mc).
Does this mean I will get derived (matrixed) surround back channels even on straight 5.1 DD 5.1 programing?

Of course I can run my own test and check to see if any audio can be heard from the surround back speakers but just wondered if DD EX is supposed to add the SB channels to a 5.1 source.

Thanks for any input!
post #6424 of 6449 Unread 07-08-2016, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1458 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEATON View Post
just wondered if DD EX is supposed to add the SB channels to a 5.1 source.
Yes. But the derived audio feeding the rear speakers is mono. Since you have full 7.1, I'd suggest using PLIIx Movie, as that maintains a stereo effect in the rears. And it also works with stereo sources to make a 7.1 effect.

Deadwood Atmos theater [HTOM]
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #6425 of 6449 Unread 07-11-2016, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Glad to see this thread is still active, as it seems like I have had my SSP800 for near 8 years and so far still going strong. However lately I have been losing the audio on all my inputs and have had to unplug the unit for a short bit to reset it. I have had to do this more often than in the past as I have always had to do this on occasion. The good news is that it fixes the issue every time. I am always worried that one of these times a reset won't fix it?

Sony XBR75X940C
Samsung UBD K8500
post #6426 of 6449 Unread 07-11-2016, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 296
My unit had a slight hiccup last week when watching a converted 1080P from the 4K signal on DirecTV. Unplugged it and it was normal again. These units do get a bit "buggy" on occasion. The fantastic sound emitted from it is worth any small reboot if it does indeed happen to an owner.
mt14942 likes this.
post #6427 of 6449 Unread 07-12-2016, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
My unit had a slight hiccup last week when watching a converted 1080P from the 4K signal on DirecTV. Unplugged it and it was normal again. These units do get a bit "buggy" on occasion. The fantastic sound emitted from it is worth any small reboot if it does indeed happen to an owner.

I agree that the occasional reset is a minor inconvenience when you consider the audio quality it delivers with all my inputs.

Sony XBR75X940C
Samsung UBD K8500
post #6428 of 6449 Unread 07-12-2016, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Just curious. Those of you needing to do the hard reboot. Is your unit powered from a UPS? (Not a power conditioner, but a battery backup.) It may not help all, but it might. At least it removes a variable from the equation.

Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #6429 of 6449 Unread 07-14-2016, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Just curious. Those of you needing to do the hard reboot. Is your unit powered from a UPS? (Not a power conditioner, but a battery backup.) It may not help all, but it might. At least it removes a variable from the equation.
Roger, you may have already addressed this issue, but I am curious to know if you get a better sonic experience from you ATMOS enabled Marantz receiver or you 7.1 Classe SSP-800?
post #6430 of 6449 Unread 07-14-2016, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Roger, you may have already addressed this issue, but I am curious to know if you get a better sonic experience from you ATMOS enabled Marantz receiver or your 7.1 Classe SSP-800?
I have sold the AV7702, and kept the SSP-800.

post #6431 of 6449 Unread 07-15-2016, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
I have sold the AV7702, and kept the SSP-800.
This speaks volumes.
post #6432 of 6449 Unread 07-15-2016, 02:05 PM

I have been enjoying this thread for a couple of years now.

Without being too presumptuous, I thought I would attempt to post a few photos of my basement where my Classe system resides.

Here goes nothing.

jdlynch, gbaby and urskog like this.
post #6433 of 6449 Unread 07-15-2016, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ Hey JDEATON, I'm a big fan of "speakers visible out in the room." Somehow your basement seems to have a full height ceiling and no ductwork running through the theater space. Good stuff.

Really like the easy access to the rear of the equipment rack. Do you keep the doors open most of the time? Gotta keep the SSP from overheating, and it makes heat even in standby. Or maybe the equipment room has some fan ventilation?

I see a sub in the front left corner. Is there another? If not, curious how well it works. I never had much luck getting smooth bass from a single sub, no matter where I dragged it. The SSP is well suited to tuning dual subs.

post #6434 of 6449 Unread 07-16-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
^^ Hey JDEATON, I'm a big fan of "speakers visible out in the room." Somehow your basement seems to have a full height ceiling and no ductwork running through the theater space. Good stuff.

Really like the easy access to the rear of the equipment rack. Do you keep the doors open most of the time? Gotta keep the SSP from overheating, and it makes heat even in standby. Or maybe the equipment room has some fan ventilation?

I see a sub in the front left corner. Is there another? If not, curious how well it works. I never had much luck getting smooth bass from a single sub, no matter where I dragged it. The SSP is well suited to tuning dual subs.
Thanks for the comments Roger!

Just recently, I have been pondering the idea of replacing the old Definitive Technology Powerfield 1500 with a pair of SVS SB13’s but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. (In other words I haven’t convinced my wife we need two rather than one sub… yet)

Now I can tell my wife that Roger Dressler recommends two subs.

You have piqued my interest in terms of cooling the SSP. Regarding leaving the cabinet doors open, the glass doors on the front of the cabinet are always open when the system is on but door to the back of the rack and the door to the media storage closet typically stay closed. I know what you mean about the SSP-800 generating some heat even in standby.

When I go to the “Info “screen and check “sensors”, after 30+ minutes of running, the SSP temp. reads 56 C (about 133 F). I don’t see anything in the manual that gives a temperature operating range.

Interestingly, via CAB-Bus I can view at the AC Temp (I didn’t know there was such a thing a “AC Temp") on the CA-5300 amplifier. That reports a much cooler 39 C (102 F).

I do not have any fan assisted cooling behind the equipment rack. What type of fan might you recommend?

I did a quick Google on amp cooling fans and thought this one looked like a possibility. https://www.amazon.com/Receiver-Mega...er+cooling+fan

I wonder if Patrick Butler could weigh in on what the safe operating temperature range for the SSP-800 is?
post #6435 of 6449 Unread 07-16-2016, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just recently, I have been pondering the idea of replacing the old Definitive Technology Powerfield 1500 with a pair of SVS SB13’s but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. (In other words I haven’t convinced my wife we need two rather than one sub… yet)
If you've got the bass dialed in the way you like, no need to tinker with it.

When I moved my gear from an open family room into an enclosed theater, the bass was quite degraded -- just could not get that smooth response back. I started using XTZ Room Analyzer and then REW (Room EQ Wizard) software and those showed what I was up against with room modes. Adding a 2nd sub (one in front, one in back, in my case) helped immensely. The nice thing about either of those tools is they assist in creating PEQ filters to address the response peaks, which you then simply dial in to the SSP's EQ section. It is more complex when running two subs, though. It is a process of many steps, but one with potentially great rewards. Have you used either of these tools, or OmniMic? There's a bit of a learning curve there, too, on top of how to use them for dual sub tuning. For a taste of the process as done by a pro with 4 subs, read Mark Seaton's p
osts 18-28 in this thread.

Quote:
I wonder if Patrick Butler could weigh in on what the safe operating temperature range for the SSP-800 is?
Did a search of this thread and found 4 reports of "long term" operating temp of 45, 47, 50, 50. Yours at 56 is at least 10°F warmer, which could be a combination of being inside the cabinet and sitting above a heat source. I do not know if that's bad, but for $14 you could try one of these single fans from Amazon just to see if it makes a difference, hoping the slowest speed is inaudible.

Last edited by Roger Dressler; 07-16-2016 at 01:02 PM.
post #6436 of 6449 Unread 07-16-2016, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Hi JDEATON,

I don't know the recommended temperature range off the top of my head, but will check in with tech support and see what they have to say.

We always recommended good thermal management for digital components. Installing fans in the back of your equipment rack so that you have adequate cross ventilation is a wise investment. I would also suggest that the back of the IC Tunnel cooling system on your CA-5300 be free on any obstructions behind the amplifier. As you are probably away, cool air is sucked into the front of your amplifier, and hot exhaust blows out the rear. When used properly, this helps to keep the equipment placed above it cooler than a traditional heat sink.

Regards,

Patrick Butler
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Thanks for the comments Roger!

Now I can tell my wife that Roger Dressler recommends two subs.

You have piqued my interest in terms of cooling the SSP. Regarding leaving the cabinet doors open, the glass doors on the front of the cabinet are always open when the system is on but door to the back of the rack and the door to the media storage closet typically stay closed. I know what you mean about the SSP-800 generating some heat even in standby.

When I go to the “Info “screen and check “sensors”, after 30+ minutes of running, the SSP temp. reads 56 C (about 133 F). I don’t see anything in the manual that gives a temperature operating range.

Interestingly, via CAB-Bus I can view at the AC Temp (I didn’t know there was such a thing a “AC Temp") on the CA-5300 amplifier. That reports a much cooler 39 C (102 F).

I do not have any fan assisted cooling behind the equipment rack. What type of fan might you recommend?

I did a quick Google on amp cooling fans and thought this one looked like a possibility. https://www.amazon.com/Receiver-Mega...er+cooling+fan

Last edited by Patrick Butler; 07-16-2016 at 04:04 PM.
post #6437 of 6449 Unread 07-17-2016, 04:30 PM

Thanks Roger and Patrick for your input.

I look forward to hearing back from Patrick regarding the safe temp range. Nonetheless I intend to add some type of active cooling assistance to my rack.

I have ordered the AC Infinity USB Multi Fan. My cabinet is quite deep, about 2 feet, (to accommodate the plus size depth of the CA-5300 amp) so I have plenty of room behind the SSP to place the fan.

I figure I have four options:

1. Set the fan flat on top of the SSP blowing up to extract air out of the top vents. (Not desirable as this would be unsightly)
2. Set the fan upright behind the SSP blowing out the back of the Hi Fi rack into the unfinished area behind. (Preferred method) This unfinished area is 4’ x 4’ x 9’ or 36 cubic feet and is not air conditioned.
3. Set the fan behind the SSP blowing toward the pre-pro in an attempt to cool it with a breeze.
4. One final option (least desirable from an esthetic stand point but possibly most effective from a performance perspective) would be the Megabase extractor fan. (See photos below)

I would like to get the temp of my SSP down to 50 C or lower. I'll let you know how the experiment progresses.
post #6438 of 6449 Unread 07-18-2016, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Hi JDEATON,

Per Classé Audio, anything cooler than 60°C does not require additional cooling. Adding fans can't hurt anything, and you'll want to mount them towards the top of the bay where your SSP-800 resides.

Best Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Thanks Roger and Patrick for your input.

I look forward to hearing back from Patrick regarding the safe temp range. Nonetheless I intend to add some type of active cooling assistance to my rack.

I have ordered the AC Infinity USB Multi Fan. My cabinet is quite deep, about 2 feet, (to accommodate the plus size depth of the CA-5300 amp) so I have plenty of room behind the SSP to place the fan.

I figure I have four options:

1. Set the fan flat on top of the SSP blowing up to extract air out of the top vents. (Not desirable as this would be unsightly)
2. Set the fan upright behind the SSP blowing out the back of the Hi Fi rack into the unfinished area behind. (Preferred method) This unfinished area is 4’ x 4’ x 9’ or 36 cubic feet and is not air conditioned.
3. Set the fan behind the SSP blowing toward the pre-pro in an attempt to cool it with a breeze.
4. One final option (least desirable from an esthetic stand point but possibly most effective from a performance perspective) would be the Megabase extractor fan. (See photos below)

I would like to get the temp of my SSP down to 50 C or lower. I'll let you know how the experiment progresses.
post #6439 of 6449 Unread 07-18-2016, 04:13 PM

^^^^^^

Thanks Patrick! That's good news; I really didn't want to put that big old ugly thing on top of my SSP-800!

Adding a small, quiet fan or two placed out of sight behind my processor is the plan now.

John

Last edited by JDEATON; 07-19-2016 at 06:01 AM.
post #6440 of 6449 Unread 07-21-2016, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the hard reboot hiccup now and again... I also have something else, wanted to see if others have this.

I have 4 main sources configured, TV, HTPC, Chromecast and my PS4. Video switching seems to be fine to/from all of them, except for when I switch to the PS4 input. Often it switches but is blocky and pixelated, and I need to switch back and forth between the other inputs to give it a chance to try again. Sometimes one switch back and forth works, sometimes multiple times doesn't work, the SSP freezes, and requires a hard reboot. During the switch back and forth, often the OSD turns all Pink (instead of my normal blue). I've noticed if i turn on the PS4 before the SSP800, it has a better chance of hand shaking right the first time, but it isn't always working that way either.

Anyone have any experience like this?
post #6441 of 6449 Unread 07-21-2016, 02:55 PM

Regarding my heat concerns, my USB powered fans arrived today.

I'm happy to report the fans appear to do a great job of cooling the SSP.

Shortly after placing two of the smaller 80mm by AC Infinity fans behind my SSP (blowing away) and while playing music the temp. read 49 C.

This is 6 C cooler than my pre-pro ever read even right out of standby. (feels cooler to the touch too.)

BTW, the air conditioning is not on at the moment and its a warm and muggy 78 F in my basement today.
Roger Dressler likes this.
post #6442 of 6449 Unread 08-09-2016, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Since it seems unlikely that Classé will release an upgraded HDMI board with 4k/UHD support I need to look for other ways to solve my 4k-switching.
Currently have both a 4K projector and 4K TV connected to the SSP-800, but still no 4K-sources, however this will soon change with probably a UHDBD player and/or PS4 Neo.
Anyone have any nice ideas on how to solve this without having to hassle with unplugging/replugging/moving HDMI cables all the time?
post #6443 of 6449 Unread 08-09-2016, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Hi urskog,

Samsung's UBD-K8500 UHD Bluray player has two HDMI outputs. One is used for video, and that will go to your 4k display (or 4k switcher if you want both display devices attached simultaneously.) The other HDMI output is for audio only, and that will go to the SSP-800. The UBD-K8500 also has apps for streaming 4K content from Netflix, Youtube and Amazon. You'll want to be careful when purchasing a 4k switcher, since you will need multiple video outputs and potentially HDR support.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by urskog View Post
Since it seems unlikely that Classé will release an upgraded HDMI board with 4k/UHD support I need to look for other ways to solve my 4k-switching.
Currently have both a 4K projector and 4K TV connected to the SSP-800, but still no 4K-sources, however this will soon change with probably a UHDBD player and/or PS4 Neo.
Anyone have any nice ideas on how to solve this without having to hassle with unplugging/replugging/moving HDMI cables all the time?
post #6444 of 6449 Unread 08-09-2016, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler View Post
Hi urskog,

Samsung's UBD-K8500 UHD Bluray player has two HDMI outputs. One is used for video, and that will go to your 4k display (or 4k switcher if you want both display devices attached simultaneously.) The other HDMI output is for audio only, and that will go to the SSP-800. The UBD-K8500 also has apps for streaming 4K content from Netflix, Youtube and Amazon. You'll want to be careful when purchasing a 4k switcher, since you will need multiple video outputs and potentially HDR support.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America
Hi!

Yea I don't really have a super duper history when it comes to HDMI switches, the ones I've tried earlier were less than stable
I realise that many UHDBD units have dual HDMI outputs but this solution is cumbersome when you figure in more than one 4K source, for example the upcoming PS4 Neo which I assume will have 4K support in some fashion.

I guess I'll have to dive into the switching swamp again and try my luck.
Anyone have any personal experience with a unit that handles 4k, HDR etc, with a lot of inputs (5 or more I guess) and at least 2 simultaneous outputs, preferrably 3 that can handle different solutions since 1 would go to the projector (4k), 1 to the TV (4k) and 1 would go to the SSP-800 (not 4k).
post #6445 of 6449 Unread 08-09-2016, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Look into HDMI matrix switchers from DVDO or Extron, and expect to spend north of $1k for the kind of solution that does what you want.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Hi!

Yea I don't really have a super duper history when it comes to HDMI switches, the ones I've tried earlier were less than stable
I realise that many UHDBD units have dual HDMI outputs but this solution is cumbersome when you figure in more than one 4K source, for example the upcoming PS4 Neo which I assume will have 4K support in some fashion.

I guess I'll have to dive into the switching swamp again and try my luck.
Anyone have any personal experience with a unit that handles 4k, HDR etc, with a lot of inputs (5 or more I guess) and at least 2 simultaneous outputs, preferrably 3 that can handle different solutions since 1 would go to the projector (4k), 1 to the TV (4k) and 1 would go to the SSP-800 (not 4k).
post #6446 of 6449 Unread 08-09-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler View Post
Look into HDMI matrix switchers from DVDO or Extron, and expect to spend north of $1k for the kind of solution that does what you want.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America
Thanks for the tip!
I would rather pay Classé eg. $2k for the solution but I don't have that option so north of 1k will have to do hehe.
It's either this and keep the SSP-800 or buy a completely different prepro from an inferior brand which would give me 4k switching but worse sound, which is a really bad tradeoff

Best regards, Robert
post #6447 of 6449 Unread 08-09-2016, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Hdfury, 4K integral tons of people using. $250 ? Can be used as switcher and all sorts of things. Very well supported too..

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #6448 of 6449 Unread 08-09-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
Hdfury, 4K integral tons of people using. $250 ? Can be used as switcher and all sorts of things. Very well supported too..
Interesting! Need to read up on this device.
Seems like I would need the Integral first to input the 4K devices, and then from the 4K output connect to the splitter 4k uhd/pro so I can run dual outputs to the proj and TV, and at the same time use the HDMI 1.4 output on the Integral to the SSP-800.

Thanks a lot for the tip!
post #6449 of 6449 Unread 08-10-2016, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Interesting! Need to read up on this device.
Seems like I would need the Integral first to input the 4K devices, and then from the 4K output connect to the splitter 4k uhd/pro so I can run dual outputs to the proj and TV, and at the same time use the HDMI 1.4 output on the Integral to the SSP-800.

Thanks a lot for the tip!
no problem, its quite a versatile unit not just a splitter but can do host of other things well. a long running thread here if need to ask any questions,
HDfury Integral...

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Classe