Official Classe SSP-800 thread. - Page 220 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 91Likes
post #6571 of 6595 Old 05-18-2017, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
I'm thinking of shipping my SSP-800 to Classe in Montreal. Classe said that in order for them to ship it back they need my Social Security number (because of US Customs).
Was that the case with you?
Thanks, I appreciate your information
Yes I had the same question asked of me. It was a quick turnaround once the unit was at Classe. They shipped it back to the dealer I purchased it from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6572 of 6595 Old 05-24-2017, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 184
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ian_Currie View Post
    I had to do this recently. They had me ship the unit to Buffalo where they picked it up a week or so later. But yes, I had to supply my SS number.

I had a lightning strike so close to my house that it destroyed my SSP-800 even though it was connected to a surge protector. Unfortunately it is going to cost me just short of $1500.00 to fix as the Mother board and the I/O board was damaged. I did have to call Robert Adams at Classe to give him my Social Security number and I also had to send it to Buffalo. I hadn't decided to go along with the repair, but more than likely will since I doubt that there is anything comparable for $1500.00.

Sony XBR75X940C
Panasonic DMP-UB900
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp
Denon A1UDCI Universal BD player

Last edited by mt14942; 05-24-2017 at 03:38 PM.
post #6573 of 6595 Old 05-24-2017, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post

• I had a lightning strike so close to my house that it destroyed my SSP-800 even though it was connected to a surge protector. Unfortunately it is going to cost me just short of $1500.00 to fix as the Mother board and the I/O board was damaged. I did have to call Robert Adams at Classe to give him my Social Security number and I also had to send it to Buffalo. I hadn't decided to go along with the repair, but more than likely will since I doubt that there is anything comparable for $1500.00.
Try to find you a used Bryston SP3. You won't be sorry.

post #6574 of 6595 Old 05-25-2017, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

I have heard a lot of good things about the Bryston SP3 but since I plan on getting the Oppo 205 and will probably be using the Analog connections so I would be mainly using it as a preamp. Not sure I want to spend the additional money that even a used Bryston SP3 would cost. So I am leaning towards just repairing the SSP800.
wadeh911 likes this.

Sony XBR75X940C
Panasonic DMP-UB900
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro

Last edited by mt14942; 05-25-2017 at 04:27 PM.
post #6575 of 6595 Old 05-25-2017, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I have heard a lot of good things about the Bryston SP3 but since I plan on getting the Oppo 205 and will probably be using the Analog connections so I would be mainly using it as a preamp. Not sure I want to spend the additional money that even a used Bryston SP3 would cost. So I am leaning towards just repairing the SSP800.
I wouldn't think the Bryston would be a good buy at any cost. The Classe is already top notch for sonics and while it doesn't have room correction, it does have EQ which I think is extremely important for proper home theater. The Bryston doesn't have much to offer.
post #6576 of 6595 Old 05-25-2017, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 136
If you can find a used Anthem D2V or AVM 50V you will not be disappointed as they sound exceptional.

Oppo UDP-203, Anthem AVM50V 3D Pre-Pro, Krell KAV-500 3 Channel Amp, Adcom GFA-535 2 Channel Amp, Cary Audio 306/200 CD Player, Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC, Oppo HA-2 DAC/Amp, Hifiman HE-500 Headphones, Audeze EL-8 Headphones, Westone UM 50 Pro in ear monitors, Apple PowerBeats 3, MacBook Pro-Tidal HiFi/Roon, Apple iPad Pro/Roon, Sony XBR65X930C, Sonus faber Luito Towers, Sonus faber Luito Monitors, Sonus faber Smart Center Channel, REL T2 sub, Sony SWF-BR100W Wireless Subwoofer for 930C
post #6577 of 6595 Old 05-25-2017, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arftech View Post
If you can find a used Anthem D2V or AVM 50V you will not be disappointed as they sound exceptional.
This might be true, but the SSP-800 is still an exceptional Pre/Pro, and can hold its own with the best of the rest. My advise, if you're lucky enough to own one, keep it!
post #6578 of 6595 Old 05-26-2017, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arftech View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaw View Post
This might be true, but the SSP-800 is still an exceptional Pre/Pro, and can hold its own with the best of the rest. My advise, if you're lucky enough to own one, keep it!
Quote:
Quote:
I wouldn't think the Bryston would be a good buy at any cost. The Classe is already top notch for sonics and while it doesn't have room correction, it does have EQ which I think is extremely important for proper home theater. The Bryston doesn't have much to offer.

Thanks to all for your input. After thinking about this for a few days and seeing what's out there, I have decided to go with having it repaired. I have enjoyed this unit for 8 years now and Robert Adams of Classe has provided me with great support over those years and that is a big reason for my decision not to mention the help Roger from this forum has provided.

Sony XBR75X940C
Panasonic DMP-UB900
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
post #6579 of 6595 Old 05-26-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks to all for your input. After thinking about this for a few days and seeing what's out there, I have decided to go with having it repaired. I have enjoyed this unit for 8 years now and Robert Adams of Classe has provided me with great support over those years and that is a big reason for my decision not to mention the help Roger from this forum has provided.
Good decision!
Best of luck.
post #6580 of 6595 Old 05-30-2017, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 34
As I mentioned I would follow up after adding a Mytek Brooklyn DAC to my system.

My guess is most owners of the Classé SSP-800, like me, were music lovers first and became home theater enthusiasts along the way.

I have found the Classé to not only be a first-class theater processor but also an excellent pre-amp as well. My love for music has lead me to investigate computer audio or more specifically hi-rez digital (24 bit 96 KHz or 24 bit 192 KHz) downloads and outboard Digital to Analog Converters.

My initial DAC purchase was a Meridian Director which when playing hi-rez files, to my ears, sounded far superior to my Oppo or any other player playing 16 bit, 44.1KHz CD’s.

While I would say my hi-rez library is not extensive I would say I have spent a considerable sum on downloads from HDTracks.

These days it’s hard to pick up any audio magazine without seeing an article on MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) digital audio.
I have had My Brooklyn DAC and a subscription to Tidal HiFi for about a week now, and all I can say is wow! MQA audio files are somehow transmitted / streamed at CD resolution and magically unfolded by Tidal software, then fully decoded in hardware by an MQA capable DAC. The result is the unfolded MQA files sound the same (Maybe better due to a temporal deblurring process) as my downloaded and somewhat expensive HDTrack files. Some Tidal MQA files unfold as 24 bit 384K!

Many of the hi-rez albums I purchased from HDTracks are already available on Tidal. Tidal costs 20 bucks a month. An HDTracks download is typically $18 to $24.

BTW, an MQA file downloaded to JRiver will pass bit perfect to an MQA capable DAC for authentication and decoding as long as the JRiver volume control is left at 100%.

I did encounter one issue with the Mytek Brooklyn DAC. On initial playback, it was obvious the Brooklyn was creating overload distortion when connected to the XLR input of the SSP-800 in a 2.1 (DSP engaged) configuration. There are two cures to this problem. One, is to install 4 jumpers in the Brooklyn to reduce output voltage (That’s what I did). The other fix is to simply use only Bypass mode in the SSP. Bypass mode in the Classé accepts up to 12 vrms, enough to accommodate the Brooklyn’s rather high average output of 9+ vrms.

Now my dilemma is so much music (both old favorites and new stuff) to listen to – so little time.
Roger Dressler likes this.

Last edited by JDEATON; 05-31-2017 at 02:30 PM.
post #6581 of 6595 Old 05-31-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEATON View Post
As I mentioned I would follow up after adding a Mytek Brooklyn DAC to my system.
This DAC has caught my eye too, have you tried it directly driving your amp (not via the SSP-800)? How does it compare? Were the level limiting jumpers included in the box?
post #6582 of 6595 Old 05-31-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaw View Post
This DAC has caught my eye too, have you tried it directly driving your amp (not via the SSP-800)? How does it compare? Were the level limiting jumpers included in the box?
Alaw, I have not tried the Mytek connected to my amp though many if not most Brooklyn owners do use this DAC as a pre-amp.

I considered it, but in order to connect the Brooklyn directly to my Classé CA-5300 5 channel amplifier, I would need to either, connect (Classé recommended) shorting pins between pin 1 and pin 3 on the left and right XLR inputs and use single ended RCA’s, or purchase some kind of XLR gender change adapter and use balanced cables.
Then if I did that I would have to re-do the connections when I wanted to use the system in home theater mode.

The jumpers for the Brooklyn were included, and installing them was actually pretty easy.

Before I installed them, I placed a call to Mytek to discuss my overload distortion problem. The phone was answered immediately and to my surprise it was answered by Michal Jurewicz, the man responsible for designing the Brooklyn and Manhattan DAC’s. Michal told me adding the jumpers would cure my overload problem and he was right. Pretty cool I thought!

BTW, I also I’m also using the Brooklyn as a phono pre-amp for my Pro-Ject turntable and it works fine, perhaps a bit better than my inexpensive Pro-Ject phono pre-amp.

John
post #6583 of 6595 Old 06-01-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Alaw, I have not tried the Mytek connected to my amp though many if not most Brooklyn owners do use this DAC as a pre-amp.

I considered it, but in order to connect the Brooklyn directly to my Classé CA-5300 5 channel amplifier, I would need to either, connect (Classé recommended) shorting pins between pin 1 and pin 3 on the left and right XLR inputs and use single ended RCA’s, or purchase some kind of XLR gender change adapter and use balanced cables.
Then if I did that I would have to re-do the connections when I wanted to use the system in home theater mode.

The jumpers for the Brooklyn were included, and installing them was actually pretty easy.

Before I installed them, I placed a call to Mytek to discuss my overload distortion problem. The phone was answered immediately and to my surprise it was answered by Michal Jurewicz, the man responsible for designing the Brooklyn and Manhattan DAC’s. Michal told me adding the jumpers would cure my overload problem and he was right. Pretty cool I thought!

BTW, I also I’m also using the Brooklyn as a phono pre-amp for my Pro-Ject turntable and it works fine, perhaps a bit better than my inexpensive Pro-Ject phono pre-amp.

John
I know it's not cool to quote one's self, but I have discovered I am guilty of disseminating "fake news". Sorry.
As it turns out I could easily connect the Brooklyn to my amp with regular male/female XLR cables with no need for any sex change adapters or even hormone therapy.

I may just give it a try and report back.
post #6584 of 6595 Old 06-01-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I know it's not cool to quote one's self, but I have discovered I am guilty of disseminating "fake news". Sorry.
As it turns out I could easily connect the Brooklyn to my amp with regular male/female XLR cables with no need for any sex change adapters or even hormone therapy.

I may just give it a try and report back.
Please do
post #6585 of 6595 Old 06-08-2017, 04:26 PM

The combination of some pretty fine Classé amplification along with my prized Usher CP-8571 speakers when fed by what seems like an endless library of hi-rez music supplied by Tidal, MQA, and the Mytek Brooklyn has proved to be a revelation for me.

This week to tie everything together, I have added Roon. Roon takes all one’s digital music files whether they be HDTrack downloads, ripped CD’s or any of Tidal’s 30 million and growing list of songs and puts them in one searchable place for playback or streaming.

Considering 30,000 plus Tidal songs are streamed in very high quality MQA, and at worst, Tidal resolution is CD quality it’s as if all the sudden I have expanded my music collection to infinity.

For 20 bucks a month for Tidal and a $500 lifetime subscription to Roon is seems as if I have made virtually anything I would ever want to listen to available to me. Kind of like the Netflix of music.

Right now I’m listening to Grace Slick singing White Rabbit at 16 bit 44.1KHz on Airplane's Surrealistic Pillow album and I didn’t even have to go look for the LP or CD.

I have not yet searched for an album that wasn’t readily available via the Tidal/Roon combo.

Sure hope Tidal and Roon don’t go out of business.
arftech and alaw like this.

Last edited by JDEATON; 06-09-2017 at 06:01 AM.
post #6586 of 6595 Old 06-08-2017, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
The combination of some pretty fine Classé amplification along with my prized Usher CP-8571 speakers when feed by what seems like an endless library of hi-rez music supplied by Tidal, MQA, and the Mytek Brooklyn has proved to be a revelation for me.

This week to tie everything together, I have added Roon. Roon takes all one’s digital music files whether they be HDTrack downloads, ripped CD’s or any of Tidal’s 30 million and growing list of songs and puts them in one searchable place for playback or streaming.

Considering 30,000 plus Tidal songs are streamed in very high quality MQA, and at worst, Tidal resolution is CD quality it’s as if all the sudden I have expanded my music collection to infinity.

For 20 bucks a month for Tidal and a $500 lifetime subscription to Roon is seems as if I have made virtually anything I would ever want to listen to available to me. Kind of like the Netflix of music.

Right now I’m listening to Grace Slick singing White Rabbit at 16 bit 44.1KHz on Airplane's Surrealistic Pillow album and I didn’t even have to go look for the LP or CD.

I have not yet searched for an album that wasn’t readily available via the Tidal/Roon combo.

Sure hope Tidal and Roon don’t go out of business.
Me too because Tidal/Roon has been great!

Oppo UDP-203, Anthem AVM50V 3D Pre-Pro, Krell KAV-500 3 Channel Amp, Adcom GFA-535 2 Channel Amp, Cary Audio 306/200 CD Player, Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC, Oppo HA-2 DAC/Amp, Hifiman HE-500 Headphones, Audeze EL-8 Headphones, Westone UM 50 Pro in ear monitors, Apple PowerBeats 3, MacBook Pro-Tidal HiFi/Roon, Apple iPad Pro/Roon, Sony XBR65X930C, Sonus faber Luito Towers, Sonus faber Luito Monitors, Sonus faber Smart Center Channel, REL T2 sub, Sony SWF-BR100W Wireless Subwoofer for 930C
post #6587 of 6595 Old 06-08-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
The combination of some pretty fine Classé amplification along with my prized Usher CP-8571 speakers when feed by what seems like an endless library of hi-rez music supplied by Tidal, MQA, and the Mytek Brooklyn has proved to be a revelation for me.
Driving your Classe amp directly with the Mytek, or via SSP-800 analog in?

Great post, thanks.
post #6588 of 6595 Unread 06-10-2017, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Question for owners: Is there a way to extend a 5.1 uncompressed PCM soundtrack to 7.1? I'm not getting anything in my rear channels when playing this type of soundtrack (e.g. Black Hawk Down) and under the Classe's Mode menu nothing is available except Discrete.

Thanks in advance.
post #6589 of 6595 Unread 06-10-2017, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Question for owners: Is there a way to extend a 5.1 uncompressed PCM soundtrack to 7.1? I'm not getting anything in my rear channels when playing this type of soundtrack (e.g. Black Hawk Down) and under the Classe's Mode menu nothing is available except Discrete.
Executive Summary: Yes.

Details:
1) Make sure the Configuration in use for that input is set to support 7 main speakers, both surrounds and rears.
2) Go to Mode, then select Pro Logic IIx Movie. Rear outputs should become active if the source material has surround contents.
3) If you want this to happen automatically with any 5.1 source, do the following:
>Menu >Input >Next (if input 2 or higher)
>Audio >Fav Processing >Multichannel >PLIIx Movie (or PLIIx Music)

PLIIx Movie/Music are the only upmix options that create independent rear outputs from 5.1.

Deadwood Atmos theater [HTOM]
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #6590 of 6595 Unread Yesterday, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Executive Summary: Yes.

Details:
1) Make sure the Configuration in use for that input is set to support 7 main speakers, both surrounds and rears.
2) Go to Mode, then select Pro Logic IIx Movie. Rear outputs should become active if the source material has surround contents.
3) If you want this to happen automatically with any 5.1 source, do the following:
>Menu >Input >Next (if input 2 or higher)
>Audio >Fav Processing >Multichannel >PLIIx Movie (or PLIIx Music)

PLIIx Movie/Music are the only upmix options that create independent rear outputs from 5.1.
Thanks for the quick reply, Roger.

Well the plot thickens as this my Fav Processing for multichannel is PLIIx Movie and it's not working for PCM 5.1 content. It is working for DTS 5.1. Either the SSP-800 cannot do this for PCM or there's a software bug.

Thanks again.
post #6591 of 6595 Unread Yesterday, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well the plot thickens as this my Fav Processing for multichannel is PLIIx Movie and it's not working for PCM 5.1 content. It is working for DTS 5.1.
That is strange. The SSP does indeed support post-processing PCM. If you care to probe deeper...

1) What code version is running in the SSP? Not that it should matter, this has been supported "for ever." Just want to confirm.
2) Does the display show "Pro Logic IIx" at the bottom? (May have to tweak the volume control to bring up the processing status.)
3) What is the source unit? BD player, HTPC? Connected via HDMI?
4) What is the content?
5) Are you using the same source for both tests, DTS and PCM? Might be good to do so to reduce variables. Does your BD player happen to support internal 5.1 decoding? (Oppos do, but others may not.) If so, while playing the DTS 5.1 track, change the BD output from bitstream to PCM.

Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #6592 of 6595 Unread Yesterday, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Answers:

1) 3.10 build 0114
2) Volume display shows Dolby PLIIx
3) Source is a HTPC running Plex. Connected via HDMI.
4) Content is .MKV files where the uncompressed PCM is in FLAC format (lossless compression). Examples I've used are Black Hawk Down & Casino Royale (note that the collector's edition of the latter has Dolby True HD soundtrack and if I play that version the 5.1 is indeed expanded to 7.1).
5) Yes, using the same source (HTPC) for all testing. I do have a bluray player and could try spinning the actual Black Hawk Down bluray...
post #6593 of 6595 Unread Yesterday, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Answers:

4) Content is .MKV files where the uncompressed PCM is in FLAC format (lossless compression). Examples I've used are Black Hawk Down & Casino Royale (note that the collector's edition of the latter has Dolby True HD soundtrack and if I play that version the 5.1 is indeed expanded to 7.1).
5) Yes, using the same source (HTPC) for all testing. I do have a bluray player and could try spinning the actual Black Hawk Down bluray...
OK, so I just tried spinning the Black Hawk Down bluray (source is Panasonic bluray player) and with the 5.1 Uncompressed PCM track, the SSP-800 *is* expanding to 7.1.

Weird.
post #6594 of 6595 Unread Today, 12:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, so I just tried spinning the Black Hawk Down bluray (source is Panasonic bluray player) and with the 5.1 Uncompressed PCM track, the SSP-800 *is* expanding to 7.1.

Weird.
Yes, I think the HTPC is packing the 5.1 PCM into a 7.1 HDMI container, and thus even though the rear channels are silent, the SSP does not think it can do any further surround upmixing as it is seeing 7.1. The issue is with the HTPC, not the SSP.

post #6595 of 6595 Unread Today, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Yes, I think the HTPC is packing the 5.1 PCM into a 7.1 HDMI container, and thus even though the rear channels are silent, the SSP does not think it can do any further surround upmixing as it is seeing 7.1. The issue is with the HTPC, not the SSP.
Makes sense to me. Thanks, Roger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Classe