Official Classe SSP-800 thread. - Page 221 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 102Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6601 of 6629 Old 07-20-2017, 06:05 AM
Member
 
denosya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bdx, France
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post
Well, that didn't fix it, but I may have fixed it nonetheless. After trying to reboot with the RS-232 disconnected, it occurred to me that I have had occasional problems with sync between the Classé and the Lumagen scaler (which feeds audio to it). I disconnected the HDMI cables from the Lumagen and from the Sony 4K player, and now the processor boots.


I will continue to try to isolate the issue.
2 years later... I have the exact same problem.

I've been desperate for the whole day, until I read your post. Then I removed all hdmi cables, did a hard reset, and prayed. And ... it worked !!! Alleluia

This post saved my day... well even my whole summer vacations

I am sooooooooo relieved and happy at the same time. Peace on Earth !

Eternal gratitude to AVS forum and this topic's members who already saved me a couple of times ! <3
Sharp1080 likes this.
denosya is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6602 of 6629 Old 07-20-2017, 08:01 AM
Senior Member
 
arftech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Maryland USA
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 141
There are no reports that I've seen that states Classe has shut their doors other than here. So...

Oppo UDP-203, Anthem AVM50V 3D Pre-Pro, Krell KAV-500 3 Channel Amp, Adcom GFA-535 2 Channel Amp, Cary Audio 306/200 CD Player, Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC, Sony PHA-3 Headphone DAC/Amp, Hifiman HE-500 Headphones, Audeze EL-8 Headphones, Westone W50 in ear monitors, Apple PowerBeats 3, MacBook Pro-Tidal HiFi/Roon, Apple iPad Pro/Roon, Sony XBR65X930C, Sonus faber Luito Towers, Sonus faber Luito Monitors, Sonus faber Smart Center Channel, REL T2 sub, Sony SWF-BR100W Wireless Subwoofer for 930C
arftech is offline  
post #6603 of 6629 Old 07-20-2017, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JustMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 2,273
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by denosya View Post
I've been desperate for the whole day, until I read your post. Then I removed all hdmi cables, did a hard reset, and prayed. And ... it worked !!! Alleluia
Glad that my old post was of assistance. I've had this problem a few times since then, and that fix has always worked.

I certainly hope that the news of Classé's demise is in error. My CT-SSP is working fine, and I hope it continues to do so. I'd hate to have to find a replacement.
denosya likes this.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
JustMike is offline  
 
post #6604 of 6629 Old 07-21-2017, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bigmoviefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,295
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler View Post
No.

Regards,

Patrick Butler
B&W Group North America
They closed Classe instead! 😫😫😱What a bummer Classe is going under !
Bigmoviefan is offline  
post #6605 of 6629 Old 07-21-2017, 03:54 PM
Senior Member
 
arftech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Maryland USA
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
They closed Classe instead! 😫😫😱What a bummer Classe is going under !
Where are you seeing that at?

Oppo UDP-203, Anthem AVM50V 3D Pre-Pro, Krell KAV-500 3 Channel Amp, Adcom GFA-535 2 Channel Amp, Cary Audio 306/200 CD Player, Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC, Sony PHA-3 Headphone DAC/Amp, Hifiman HE-500 Headphones, Audeze EL-8 Headphones, Westone W50 in ear monitors, Apple PowerBeats 3, MacBook Pro-Tidal HiFi/Roon, Apple iPad Pro/Roon, Sony XBR65X930C, Sonus faber Luito Towers, Sonus faber Luito Monitors, Sonus faber Smart Center Channel, REL T2 sub, Sony SWF-BR100W Wireless Subwoofer for 930C
arftech is offline  
post #6606 of 6629 Old 07-21-2017, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bigmoviefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,295
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by arftech View Post
Where are you seeing that at?
FROM a Classe dealer. Has not officially been announced yet! But it will be according to him.
Bigmoviefan is offline  
post #6607 of 6629 Old 07-21-2017, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bigmoviefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,295
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Delete

Last edited by Bigmoviefan; 07-21-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Bigmoviefan is offline  
post #6608 of 6629 Old 07-22-2017, 12:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mr.SoftDome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,260
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Wow is this really true?

I sold my SSP-800 earlier in the year to move to 4K. I went with an Arcam AVR to use as a pre/pro as well as use its amps for height speakers only.

Not a week goes by that I don't think about the 800. I never had a single issue in many years of ownership and the sound quality for an all in one unit was second to none. I can't believe how good stereo was with this unit as shamed many stand alone stereo pre-amps.

The Arcam and Classe are two different animals with the Classe being superior minus 4K support. There of course was a huge price difference but anyone saying they all sound the same is hugely mistaken.

I would grab one of the Classe 4K SSPs while they last but can't afford it at the moment.

What a bummer. Classe made some of the best gear I've ever owned besides Simaudio.

Too bad an 800 replacement will not be on the horizon. It seems Millenials are taking us down the path of portable audio/video. The landscape is changing and world class companies are closing their doors or selling to Asia.

What a bummer.

Rick
arftech likes this.
Mr.SoftDome is offline  
post #6609 of 6629 Old 07-22-2017, 06:52 AM
Senior Member
 
arftech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Maryland USA
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
Wow is this really true?

I sold my SSP-800 earlier in the year to move to 4K. I went with an Arcam AVR to use as a pre/pro as well as use its amps for height speakers only.

Not a week goes by that I don't think about the 800. I never had a single issue in many years of ownership and the sound quality for an all in one unit was second to none. I can't believe how good stereo was with this unit as shamed many stand alone stereo pre-amps.

The Arcam and Classe are two different animals with the Classe being superior minus 4K support. There of course was a huge price difference but anyone saying they all sound the same is hugely mistaken.

I would grab one of the Classe 4K SSPs while they last but can't afford it at the moment.

What a bummer. Classe made some of the best gear I've ever owned besides Simaudio.

Too bad an 800 replacement will not be on the horizon. It seems Millenials are taking us down the path of portable audio/video. The landscape is changing and world class companies are closing their doors or selling to Asia.

What a bummer.

Rick
This is indeed sad! I had the SSP-600 (couldn't afford the 800) and I must say it was quite good in analog 2 channel mode. My unit died about 8 months ago or so and was replaced with the Anthem listed in my signature. Personally, I think it's a tad better than the my old 600 but not by much.

Another top notch audio company bites the dust...sad for both the industry and consumers who appreciates great sounding audio.

Oppo UDP-203, Anthem AVM50V 3D Pre-Pro, Krell KAV-500 3 Channel Amp, Adcom GFA-535 2 Channel Amp, Cary Audio 306/200 CD Player, Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC, Sony PHA-3 Headphone DAC/Amp, Hifiman HE-500 Headphones, Audeze EL-8 Headphones, Westone W50 in ear monitors, Apple PowerBeats 3, MacBook Pro-Tidal HiFi/Roon, Apple iPad Pro/Roon, Sony XBR65X930C, Sonus faber Luito Towers, Sonus faber Luito Monitors, Sonus faber Smart Center Channel, REL T2 sub, Sony SWF-BR100W Wireless Subwoofer for 930C
arftech is offline  
post #6610 of 6629 Old 07-22-2017, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sharp1080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: California and Texas
Posts: 3,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 548
I still own my SSP-800. I use it in my larger dedicated room that is only setup for 5.1 audio. I purchased it for it's superior 2 channel playback capabilities. It still amazes me how good it sounds. Sad that it will now be a boat anchor. No real support form Classe after a strong debut. If I ever replace it it will now be the Theta Casablanca which was more than I wanted to spend when I bought the Classe unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28790918534_a547e1096b_b.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	2252417  

Last edited by Sharp1080; 07-22-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Sharp1080 is offline  
post #6611 of 6629 Old 07-25-2017, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mr.SoftDome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,260
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 382
I sent an email to my dealer yesterday on the news and the reply back today was yes, they believe it to be true.

Very unfortunate.

Rick
Mr.SoftDome is offline  
post #6612 of 6629 Old 07-26-2017, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
Patrick Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Contrary to rumors, Classé has not closed. I'm not sure how they started, and I apologize for any confusion they may have caused.
We have stopped development on the Delta Series to ensure that the products deliver the experience people have come to expect from Classé Audio and Bowers & Wilkins. We will continue to sell Sigma Series products, and our customer service and support have not been effected. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Patrick Butler
B&W Group North America
Patrick Butler is offline  
post #6613 of 6629 Old 07-26-2017, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Ian_Currie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Holliston, MA
Posts: 1,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler View Post
Contrary to rumors, Classé has not closed. I'm not sure how they started, and I apologize for any confusion they may have caused.
We have stopped development on the Delta Series to ensure that the products deliver the experience people have come to expect from Classé Audio and Bowers & Wilkins. We will continue to sell Sigma Series products, and our customer service and support have not been effected. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Patrick Butler
B&W Group North America
WHOHOO! FANTASTIC NEWS!

Thank you so much for setting the record straight!
arftech likes this.
Ian_Currie is offline  
post #6614 of 6629 Old 07-26-2017, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bigmoviefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,295
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler View Post
Contrary to rumors, Classé has not closed. I'm not sure how they started, and I apologize for any confusion they may have caused.
We have stopped development on the Delta Series to ensure that the products deliver the experience people have come to expect from Classé Audio and Bowers & Wilkins. We will continue to sell Sigma Series products, and our customer service and support have not been effected. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Patrick Butler
B&W Group North America
Thank You for getting that all straight ! Was told multiple times Classe was closing ! If when I said many not, was told I was wrong !
arftech likes this.
Bigmoviefan is offline  
post #6615 of 6629 Old 07-26-2017, 06:40 PM
Senior Member
 
arftech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Maryland USA
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
Thank You for getting that all straight ! Was told multiple times Classe was closing ! If when I said many not, was told I was wrong !
It's all good bruh. Thankfully, they're not shuttering their doors because Classe make fantastic sounding products and the industry is better because of it. I continue to have fond memories of my SSP-600 processor due to how it made 2 channel analog audio sound.
Patrick Butler likes this.

Oppo UDP-203, Anthem AVM50V 3D Pre-Pro, Krell KAV-500 3 Channel Amp, Adcom GFA-535 2 Channel Amp, Cary Audio 306/200 CD Player, Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC, Sony PHA-3 Headphone DAC/Amp, Hifiman HE-500 Headphones, Audeze EL-8 Headphones, Westone W50 in ear monitors, Apple PowerBeats 3, MacBook Pro-Tidal HiFi/Roon, Apple iPad Pro/Roon, Sony XBR65X930C, Sonus faber Luito Towers, Sonus faber Luito Monitors, Sonus faber Smart Center Channel, REL T2 sub, Sony SWF-BR100W Wireless Subwoofer for 930C
arftech is offline  
post #6616 of 6629 Old 07-26-2017, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mr.SoftDome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,260
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 382
This is really good news and maybe a 4K pre will find its way home.

But seriously I was told the same when I asked. Hope not just a delay.

But for now good to hear.

Rick
Mr.SoftDome is offline  
post #6617 of 6629 Old 07-27-2017, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,102
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked: 978
Just a note for those who have updated firmware from 3.0.2 to 3.10.0. I noticed two steps backward.

1) If you use PLIIx Movie or PLIIx Music with Center Width less than 4, strong mono material can overload the center output channel. Very noticeable clipping. This was a problem seen in 3.0.1, and fixed in 3.0.2. I heard such distortion yesterday.

2) If you use an RTA (e.g. Room EQ Wizard) to measure frequency response and adjust PEQ, the internally generated wideband pink noise has reverted to narrow-band noise (same as used for channel calibrations). If you have REW on a PC with HDMI output, you can hit the channels directly via REW, so not an issue. I do not have that facility.

If neither of the above apply to you, or you otherwise benefit from the other changes implemented in 3.10.0, then by all means no need to worry. 3.10.0 is otherwise solid.

I reverted back to 3.0.2 and it also seems to work fine, as it has for the last 5 years.

Current: Deadwood II Theater
Previous: Deadwood Atmos theater [HTOM]
SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4, MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, KEF Ci200QS surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve 115"W x 49"H 2.35 screen
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #6618 of 6629 Old 07-27-2017, 03:29 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 9,503
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Exclamation

http://www.cepro.com/article/intervi..._geeky_audioph

An other venture capital firm !!!!!

"To be sure, Yu and his start-up Eva have broad-market aspirations but he promises, “You won’t see any changes whatsoever in audio quality. All the audiophiles out there have nothing to worry about.” Silicon Valley start-up Eva Automation, co-founded by 49ers president Gideon Yu, acquires leading audio firm Bowers & Wilkins.

Leadership packed with Harvard MBAs, venture capitalists, digital gurus and audiophiles.!!!!!

Last edited by wse; 07-28-2017 at 01:15 PM.
wse is offline  
post #6619 of 6629 Old 07-28-2017, 04:46 PM
Member
 
JDEATON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newnan GA
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I am relieved that Patrick Butler has weighed in on the topic of whether Classé Audio has or is about to fail.

However, I’m not quite clear on how to interpret this statement:

“We have stopped development on the Delta Series to ensure that the products deliver the experience people have come to expect from Classé...”

I have always viewed the Delta series as the flagship products within the Classé lineup. Thus, stopping development on Delta does not sound encouraging.

If Classé is struggling in the high-end home theater segment, one must wonder how well others like Bryston, Krell, Theta, Cary and Anthem are faring.

I fear as passionate as we are about our hobby, our numbers are just too small to make high-end home theater equipment production a viable business long term.
Hope I’m wrong!
JDEATON is offline  
post #6620 of 6629 Old 07-28-2017, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,102
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEATON View Post
However, I’m not quite clear on how to interpret this statement:

“We have stopped development on the Delta Series to ensure that the products deliver the experience people have come to expect from Classé...”
One interpretation would be that they are diverting efforts to getting the Sigma SSP sorted out. It is still exhibiting teething pains, based on what I see at the Sigma thread.

Current: Deadwood II Theater
Previous: Deadwood Atmos theater [HTOM]
SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4, MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, KEF Ci200QS surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve 115"W x 49"H 2.35 screen
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #6621 of 6629 Old 07-28-2017, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
Patrick Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Hi wse,

Eva Automation was a technology company- not a venture capital firm. I think you understand the difference. For those of you who may not, one brings new technology to market, while the other provides the capital for the former to do so. Eva was the former, and not the later. I say "former", because everyone who worked for that company is now a Bowers & Wilkins employee.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America



Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
http://www.cepro.com/article/intervi..._geeky_audioph

An other venture capital firm !!!!!

"To be sure, Yu and his start-up Eva have broad-market aspirations but he promises, “You won’t see any changes whatsoever in audio quality. All the audiophiles out there have nothing to worry about.” Silicon Valley start-up Eva Automation, co-founded by 49ers president Gideon Yu, acquires leading audio firm Bowers & Wilkins.

Leadership packed with Harvard MBAs, venture capitalists, digital gurus and audiophiles.!!!!!
Patrick Butler is offline  
post #6622 of 6629 Old 08-06-2017, 04:59 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: GCC
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
2.0 versus 5.1 (mixdown)

Hi - my first post here, so please excuse if I'm not following correct protocol, and I welcome any/all feedback. I'm using my SSP-800 as a pre-amp for 2-channel/stereo audio and hdmi switching capabilities. I've recently added a sacd player (arcam dv137) to my system so that I can listen to the dual layer of a number of sacds I have. I’ve connected the arcam to the SSP-800 using hdmi for audio (and video). With the arcam set to output 2-channels of the sacd layer – all sounds good! However, when the arcam is set to output 5.1 surround through the same input I seem to get the surround mix in stereo – the 5.1 mix is very obviously different from the 2-channel stereo mix. Is this correct or does/should the ssp-800 downmix the 5.1 mix to 2-channel stereo? And if it is why are the results so very different? Shouldn’t the downmixed 5.1 sound the same as the 2.0 stereo mix? BTW sacd discs used are Steely Dan – Gaucho (dual layer hybrid) and The Police – The Classics (dual layer hybrid).
Conrad65 is offline  
post #6623 of 6629 Old 08-06-2017, 06:04 AM
Member
 
JDEATON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newnan GA
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad65 View Post
Hi - my first post here, so please excuse if I'm not following correct protocol, and I welcome any/all feedback. I'm using my SSP-800 as a pre-amp for 2-channel/stereo audio and hdmi switching capabilities. I've recently added a sacd player (arcam dv137) to my system so that I can listen to the dual layer of a number of sacds I have. I’ve connected the arcam to the SSP-800 using hdmi for audio (and video). With the arcam set to output 2-channels of the sacd layer – all sounds good! However, when the arcam is set to output 5.1 surround through the same input I seem to get the surround mix in stereo – the 5.1 mix is very obviously different from the 2-channel stereo mix. Is this correct or does/should the ssp-800 downmix the 5.1 mix to 2-channel stereo? And if it is why are the results so very different? Shouldn’t the downmixed 5.1 sound the same as the 2.0 stereo mix? BTW sacd discs used are Steely Dan – Gaucho (dual layer hybrid) and The Police – The Classics (dual layer hybrid).
Welcome to the SSP-800 thread. If the SSP is a new device for you spending some time with the manual may be helpful. I know it was and still is for me.

Regarding your issue I think you may want to investigate “Speaker Configuration” within setup. After you have your speakers configured for both stereo and multi-channel, go to setup for the appropriate input, select Audio > Multi-Channel > “fav-processing” and look at your options. I would select “Discrete” to get 5.1 surround via HDMI from a Multi-channel SACD.

You may also need to look at the settings in you Arcam player.

Then again I may not understand your question. Do you have 5.1 speakers or just a stereo pair?

Good luck!

Last edited by JDEATON; 08-06-2017 at 06:08 AM.
JDEATON is offline  
post #6624 of 6629 Old 08-06-2017, 08:18 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: GCC
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
2.0 vs. 5.1 on hybrid sacd

Thanks for the welcome! I think I've managed to confuse myself with what I am listening to! I'm only using stereo (i.e. one pair of speakers) with the SSP-800. The Arcam can output either the cd layer - which I'm not interested in, or the sacd layer in either 2.0 or 5.1. I tried both sacd mixes of Gaucho and they were very different, so this had me wondering why. I think the obvious answer is they are different mixes! I was just wondering whether the SSP should be downmixing the 5.1 mix to stereo with the end result being the same mix - and therefore sounding identical. I've now realised that this is not the case!
Conrad65 is offline  
post #6625 of 6629 Old 08-29-2017, 05:56 PM
Member
 
leeshanok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 34
First, I love Classe amps, been my favorite among all the amps that I've owned in the past several years except for one (Pass Labs XA30.5, which is just unbelievably awesome sweet sounding amp). In my main setup, I've had the CA5200 for a while, then about six months ago purchased a pair of CA-M600 for the front speakers, keeping the CA5200 for the center and surround speakers.

My SSP for a long time was the Anthem D2, then the D2V; have been very pleased with the Anthem SSP, no complaints here. I mostly listen to music, 2-ch analog direct 80% of the time (movies 20%). Some folks say they sound digital or analytical, but I think a big part of it depends on implementation, equipment matching/synergy, and cabling. I had not been thinking about replacing it, although the SSP800 had been in the back of my mine a few times over the years. When Classe came out that they are rethinking their business model and no longer coming out with a new SSP and sticking only to their Sigma line, it sort of triggered a desire to try out the SSP800 before they are no longer available. It also helped that some dealers were selling their demos at an good price, so I purchase a fairly new demo from a dealer.

I've been reading this thread over time and a bunch of reviews online (both professional reviewers and individual's anecdotal impression), and the large majority of these folks give high praises for the SSP800 and overwhelmingly prefer it over the Anthem D2/D2v. So, that also got me the itch to get one. At least, it will look nice (uniform) in my rack with all Classe units (and my Marantz SA11-S2 CD player).

I've had the SSP800 for about 5 days now and spent about 20 hours of play time (boy that unit gets very warm even in stand-by). Having a somewhat high expectation it will be a marked improvement (sound-wise) over my Anthem D2v, I can say, so far, in all honesty, it is NOT a night and day difference. They sound more alike than different. This is in 2-ch analog-bypass. The SSP800 may sound slightly better but not to the degree I was expecting. It does have slightly better defined and controlled bass, a tinge of warmness in the mids/highs and smooth sounding, a bit textured and more laid back than the D2, with placement of instruments a slither better than the D2. The D2 is no slouch though. It does sound more lively/open (not bright at all), musical sounding, excellent soundstage, although not as textured as the SSP800, but not lean as some may describe it. Both sound natural to me, just depends on taste. I could easily live with the D2 if I did not have the SSP800. I do find the SSP800 mates better with the more dynamic, highly transparent sounding CA-M600 I have as compared to the warm sounding CA5200 which goes well with the D2/D2v.

Time will tell if the SSP800 gets better, since Classe manual says 300 hours of break-in time. I hope it does. I would think that on standby alone, with the unit really warm to the touch (unlike the D2/D2v), will account for break-in time period.

By the way, in case you are wondering, my speakers are Paradigm Signature S8v3,C5v3,ADPv3,Sub25. Speaker and XLR Cabling all Audioquest with 72 volt DBS. Power cables are all Triode Wire Labs. PS Audio MK DACII and Marantz SA11-S2 CD player.
leeshanok is offline  
post #6626 of 6629 Old 08-30-2017, 11:37 AM
Member
 
Alsof1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Johannesburg South Africa.
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeshanok View Post
First, I love Classe amps, been my favorite among all the amps that I've owned in the past several years except for one (Pass Labs XA30.5, which is just unbelievably awesome sweet sounding amp). In my main setup, I've had the CA5200 for a while, then about six months ago purchased a pair of CA-M600 for the front speakers, keeping the CA5200 for the center and surround speakers.

My SSP for a long time was the Anthem D2, then the D2V; have been very pleased with the Anthem SSP, no complaints here. I mostly listen to music, 2-ch analog direct 80% of the time (movies 20%). Some folks say they sound digital or analytical, but I think a big part of it depends on implementation, equipment matching/synergy, and cabling. I had not been thinking about replacing it, although the SSP800 had been in the back of my mine a few times over the years. When Classe came out that they are rethinking their business model and no longer coming out with a new SSP and sticking only to their Sigma line, it sort of triggered a desire to try out the SSP800 before they are no longer available. It also helped that some dealers were selling their demos at an good price, so I purchase a fairly new demo from a dealer.

I've been reading this thread over time and a bunch of reviews online (both professional reviewers and individual's anecdotal impression), and the large majority of these folks give high praises for the SSP800 and overwhelmingly prefer it over the Anthem D2/D2v. So, that also got me the itch to get one. At least, it will look nice (uniform) in my rack with all Classe units (and my Marantz SA11-S2 CD player).

I've had the SSP800 for about 5 days now and spent about 20 hours of play time (boy that unit gets very warm even in stand-by). Having a somewhat high expectation it will be a marked improvement (sound-wise) over my Anthem D2v, I can say, so far, in all honesty, it is NOT a night and day difference. They sound more alike than different. This is in 2-ch analog-bypass. The SSP800 may sound slightly better but not to the degree I was expecting. It does have slightly better defined and controlled bass, a tinge of warmness in the mids/highs and smooth sounding, a bit textured and more laid back than the D2, with placement of instruments a slither better than the D2. The D2 is no slouch though. It does sound more lively/open (not bright at all), musical sounding, excellent soundstage, although not as textured as the SSP800, but not lean as some may describe it. Both sound natural to me, just depends on taste. I could easily live with the D2 if I did not have the SSP800. I do find the SSP800 mates better with the more dynamic, highly transparent sounding CA-M600 I have as compared to the warm sounding CA5200 which goes well with the D2/D2v.

Time will tell if the SSP800 gets better, since Classe manual says 300 hours of break-in time. I hope it does. I would think that on standby alone, with the unit really warm to the touch (unlike the D2/D2v), will account for break-in time period.

By the way, in case you are wondering, my speakers are Paradigm Signature S8v3,C5v3,ADPv3,Sub25. Speaker and XLR Cabling all Audioquest with 72 volt DBS. Power cables are all Triode Wire Labs. PS Audio MK DACII and Marantz SA11-S2 CD player.
Give it time ....give it much , much more time!!!- It will just get better and better .........you will not be disappointed !
Alsof1 is offline  
post #6627 of 6629 Old 08-30-2017, 03:40 PM
Newbie
 
pjonall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Remote control Infrared Range

New owner of a used CT-SSP here. My unit does not sense the IR from the remote at distances greater than about 12 feet away.

The batteries of the Classe remote are new, and the remote itself works perfectly, as does the URC MX-900 I have programmed for the CT-SSP - both work equally well at distances up to 12 feet from the unit, ruling out an IR transmission issue.

This does not seem normal to me as every other infrared device I have owned operated perfectly to 25-30ft and beyond in all cases. Also, my CT-SSP appears to not transmit IR data out of the sensor while in Teach Mode. This isn't that big of a deal as I can use the URC library for the codes, but maybe it is part of the same (apparent) problem. But having the remote range limited to the front half of the room is kind of a big deal.

Curious if any other owners have experienced similar IR remote control range limitations with their CT/SSP-800...
pjonall is offline  
post #6628 of 6629 Old 08-31-2017, 05:22 PM
Member
 
JDEATON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newnan GA
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonall View Post
New owner of a used CT-SSP here. My unit does not sense the IR from the remote at distances greater than about 12 feet away.

The batteries of the Classe remote are new, and the remote itself works perfectly, as does the URC MX-900 I have programmed for the CT-SSP - both work equally well at distances up to 12 feet from the unit, ruling out an IR transmission issue.

This does not seem normal to me as every other infrared device I have owned operated perfectly to 25-30ft and beyond in all cases. Also, my CT-SSP appears to not transmit IR data out of the sensor while in Teach Mode. This isn't that big of a deal as I can use the URC library for the codes, but maybe it is part of the same (apparent) problem. But having the remote range limited to the front half of the room is kind of a big deal.

Curious if any other owners have experienced similar IR remote control range limitations with their CT/SSP-800...
Welcome to the Classé fold.

This is not the definitive answer, but my Classé remote seems to work fine in the 15 to 18-foot range. Any further and I would have to go outside and aim through a window.

Then again, I rarely use the Classé remote. I’m currently using a three or four-year-old Harmony Hub based remote. Thus, when I reach for the remote I’m almost always grabbing my iPhone. (or on occasion my iPad)

Harmony communicates through IP, RF, IR and Bluetooth, then sends commands to the IR hub and Blasters with great coverage. I rarely encounter a misfire.

I really like the Harmony Hub products. Harmony continues to improve the user experience with their remotes.

I’m thinking of moving my old Harmony Ultimate Home up to the living room and buying a new Harmony Elite for the media room. It’s then just a matter of switching hubs on my phone. I could then control either system with the same (iPhone) device. Pretty convenient.

Just my 2 cents.
JDEATON is offline  
post #6629 of 6629 Old 09-01-2017, 09:05 AM
Member
 
crtguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEATON View Post
Welcome to the Classé fold.

This is not the definitive answer, but my Classé remote seems to work fine in the 15 to 18-foot range. Any further and I would have to go outside and aim through a window.

Then again, I rarely use the Classé remote. I’m currently using a three or four-year-old Harmony Hub based remote. Thus, when I reach for the remote I’m almost always grabbing my iPhone. (or on occasion my iPad)

Harmony communicates through IP, RF, IR and Bluetooth, then sends commands to the IR hub and Blasters with great coverage. I rarely encounter a misfire.

I really like the Harmony Hub products. Harmony continues to improve the user experience with their remotes.

I’m thinking of moving my old Harmony Ultimate Home up to the living room and buying a new Harmony Elite for the media room. It’s then just a matter of switching hubs on my phone. I could then control either system with the same (iPhone) device. Pretty convenient.

Just my 2 cents.
I have found the teaching function difficult at times but I finally manage to program my universal remote after fiddling with the teach button. I don't remember if one should touch and release or continue to hold. Good luck and let us know if you get it right
crtguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Classe

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off