Another recommendtion / advice post (Onkyo TX-SR605) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-25-2008, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I've decided to upgrade my home theater. I'm looking to get a new receiver and have almost decided on the Onkyo TX-SR605.

My installer recommended a Sherwood R-722, but I don't think I want to spend that much.

I searched through this forum and the net for the past week. I think I read enough to get familiar with many of the receivers out there, but I'm not an audiophile and a lot of this is going over my head. Another leading receiver was the Denon AVR-1908.

I'm having a serious concern about the tendency of the Onkyo to run hot, especially since I'm going to put it in a cabinet.

How frequent/serious is this issue? If anyone has a recommendation I'd really appreciate it.

Two of the features I like that is leading my decision is the HDMI video AND audio processing so I can connect just the HDMI cable and the 2nd zone feature.

I appreciate anyone who will help me out.

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-26-2008, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Take your installer's advice, I'm assuming he said SN R772. It will cost you less in the long run because yes .. heat does kill and shortens electronics life.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-26-2008, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Personally, I think the heat issue with the 605 is way overblown. I have one, and it is no more hot than my Dish ViP 622 sat. receiver. All electronics generate heat and the 605 is no exception, but my experience (and the experience of most 605 owners) says the 605 does not run excessively hot. If you are going to put ANY receiver in an enclosed space with other gear, heat should be a concern. Some people have installed 120mm computer case fans adapted to run off of AC to provide ventilation for enclosed locations, you might want to consider that, too.

While the R-722 looks like a great receiver, and I'm sure there may be lots of reasons to choose it over the 605, worrying about heat shouldn't be one of those reasons, and I'd hate to see you exceed your budget for what is essentially internet forum rumors.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-26-2008, 08:07 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 641
I don't have any meaningful comment about heat. As you know, that depends primarily on the efficiency of the amplifiers. I will say that I was an Onkyo 605 owner and my unit, at least, had a poor digital processor. The Onkyo 605 is famed for features for the money. I think I would go for performance for the money, however.

I don't have any experience with the Sherwood but I do with the Onkyo and would suggest you choose anything else in its price category. A good digital processor can make a lot of difference in your enjoyment of both audio and video.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-26-2008, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

I don't have any meaningful comment about heat. As you know, that depends primarily on the efficiency of the amplifiers. I will say that I was an Onkyo 605 owner and my unit, at least, had a poor digital processor. The Onkyo 605 is famed for features for the money. I think I would go for performance for the money, however.

I don't have any experience with the Sherwood but I do with the Onkyo and would suggest you choose anything else in its price category. A good digital processor can make a lot of difference in your enjoyment of both audio and video.

What problems did you experience? Again, I have a 605 and I see no signs of a "poor digital processor." What kind of digital processor? the audio processor(s) or video processor(s). In what way did the 605 fail to live up to your expectations? I guess if you are going to tell someone to completely avoid a product that the vast majority of owners and reviewers recommend highly, please back it up with something more than "poor digital processor." Saying something like "the Yamaha RX-V661 would be a better choice because it uses Burr-Brown DACs" makes sense; you point out what you consider to be a better option, then back it with factual statement to support your claim.
The OP wants to know if the claims he's heard about the 605 running hot are reason enough for him to instead buy a receiver that exceeds his budget. I say, no, the claims of excessive heat from Onkyo receivers seems to be overstated and not backed up by the experience of most Onkyo owners, including myself. You chime in with some vague statement about poor digital processors, which, to me, doesn't mean anything, other than you probably never got the 605 properly setup.

For a receiver that is commonly available for less than $400, the 605 has the best features and performance for the money. There are plenty of receivers that are better, but not in that price range. By taking steps to ensure adequate ventilation (which you should do no matter what brand AVR you choose), heat should not be an issue.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-26-2008, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Since the O.P. is talking about "upgrading" and then introduces entry level $$ into the equation, I am going to assume that he has a particularly difficult install &/or knows little about this area. There would be no need to pay a professional installer if this was not the case.

The Professional knows what he is working with in terms of room accoustics, speakers, existing electronics plus the customer's needs & wants. No doubt he has been in the house.

So I suggest to the O.P. that he asks these questions directly to the installer regarding other flavors of receivers. I know some installers who use SN 772 + 800 series products whenever possible, all other factors being equal. This is because they can lock their setup into memory. If the user unkowingly changes something and gets unsatisfactory results which they cannot reverse; a simple system reboot will restore the installers setup.

Installers have a family life too and many have received many calls in off hours to solve problems that are strictly the result of customer lack of operational knowledge. Often a trip to the customer's home is necessary - at the installer's expense of course. Pros who want to stay in business have to deliver solutions that meet the customers' needs with minimal maintenance and without the installer going broke.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-26-2008, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all who responded so far. I would like to make it clear that my installer is just a professional that my company has had dealings with. I'm getting a new LCD and since I'm going HD, I want to get a receiver with HDMI. I currently have a Yamaha RX-V659. there has been no analyzing of my room to determine what would work best.

I don't need the installer for the receiver, but since I'm getting a new TV and will be mounting it on the wall, I'm having him take care of the entire installation.

The Sherwood R-772 will cost me ~$250 more than the Onkyo. I don't know what I get for the extra $250.

I'm pretty sure that the Sherwood doesn't up-convert lesser signals to HDMI, only up to component.

I'd like to hook up just HDMI, since my new Sat. receiver and DVD player will have HDMI outputs.

I feel I won't be able to hear the difference between any of the receivers, my ears are just not that "in tune"

If the Onkyo's heat issue really isn't that big of a deal, I feel that would be fine for my novice ears.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-26-2008, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

I think you should be fine with the 605, just be sure to spend some time in the official 605 thread (and http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post12388685) to get it optimally configured. Make sure things are well ventilated and you should be fine. Oh... just for that extra peace of mind, be sure to buy from an authorized retailer to avoid warranty hassles.

The Sherwood is a nice receiver, but the 605 does seem a better fit for your budget. Also, I found that the Audyssey auto-calibration system did a great job for my room. It isn't perfect, but with a little help from this forum, I'm quite happy with the results.

enjoy the new toys!
post #9 of 9 Old 01-27-2008, 06:48 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz_fan View Post

What problems did you experience? Again, I have a 605 and I see no signs of a "poor digital processor." What kind of digital processor? the audio processor(s) or video processor(s). In what way did the 605 fail to live up to your expectations? I guess if you are going to tell someone to completely avoid a product that the vast majority of owners and reviewers recommend highly, please back it up with something more than "poor digital processor." Saying something like "the Yamaha RX-V661 would be a better choice because it uses Burr-Brown DACs" makes sense; you point out what you consider to be a better option, then back it with factual statement to support your claim.
The OP wants to know if the claims he's heard about the 605 running hot are reason enough for him to instead buy a receiver that exceeds his budget. I say, no, the claims of excessive heat from Onkyo receivers seems to be overstated and not backed up by the experience of most Onkyo owners, including myself. You chime in with some vague statement about poor digital processors, which, to me, doesn't mean anything, other than you probably never got the 605 properly setup.

For a receiver that is commonly available for less than $400, the 605 has the best features and performance for the money. There are plenty of receivers that are better, but not in that price range. By taking steps to ensure adequate ventilation (which you should do no matter what brand AVR you choose), heat should not be an issue.

I don't consider the brand of DAC chips to be very meaningful.

The audio processor in my unit had two problems. The first was quantization errors that could be heard as little tics and pops, particularly in the surround channels. The other problem it had was surround steering. It had a bad habit of boosting volume in one surround channel over the other when the levels should have been equal. This was a random effect. It could happen in either surround channel. It wasn't huge but it was noticeable and bothersome to me.

The video processor did a poor job of scaling. It did better than the TV but it was still poor. The most obvious situation was DirecTV SD programming. The scaled (to 1080) video appeared splotchy, almost as if it were rendered in a paint by numbers scheme.

There is no doubt that the 605 is a great value in terms of features for the dollar. For me, however, it wasn't a great value in terms of performance for the dollar. I've since replaced it with a better receiver and all of those problems are gone. You asked for details. Now you have them. Take care.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page