The "Official" Denon AVR-788/1908 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 592 Old 01-27-2008, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've spent the last couple of weeks reading this board trying to find my new receiver. (And can I just say how awesome this board is?)

Anyway, after trying the Sony 910 (I had convinced myself I wanted 3 HDMI inputs), I returned it yesterday and picked up the Denon 788.

I tried to talk myself into the 888, but didn't know it justified the extra expense. (Any thoughts on this?)

Anyway, I read as much as I could on these boards about the 788 while trying to make my decision, and noticed that there wasn't an "official owner's thread." So, now that I own it, I thought I'd start one off.

So... has anyone translated this manual into English yet? I'd love to get a copy...

Any thoughts from other 788/1908 owners?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 592 Old 01-28-2008, 11:11 AM

I just got the avr-788 and its awesome. Its a perfect balance of Price and Preformance. It will accept the LPCM audio via HDMI and it passes the video along, so its great for watching blu-ray and HD-dvd movies. Ya having 3 hdmi ports would have been nice, but i just have to make due, since its perfect in every other way. A switch can solve this problem, so its not a big deal.

I have one question though. I have 7.1 surround sound, how does that work with PCM 5.1 audio signals. Will this receiver just output 5.1 and not use the back surround speakers, or will it just send some random sounds to them? Hopefully it will not revert to prologic II, will it?
post #3 of 592 Old 01-28-2008, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiredgoon View Post

I have one question though. I have 7.1 surround sound, how does that work with PCM 5.1 audio signals. Will this receiver just output 5.1 and not use the back surround speakers, or will it just send some random sounds to them? Hopefully it will not revert to prologic II, will it?

Sorry, can't help u there... I just have a 5.1 setup and its likely to stay that way.

I do wish the display (not the OSD, but the unit's display) was a little more user-friendly.
post #4 of 592 Old 01-28-2008, 10:53 PM

i think i figured it out. The receiver is playing playing multi channel pcm, all you have to do it select pro Logic II, and it will say multi channel + PLII for 7.1
post #5 of 592 Old 01-29-2008, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Glad to see someone started an official thread for our Denon. Thanks Bobby! I've had my 788 for about 2 months and couldn't be happier with it. After reading some of the horror stories regarding how some other brands handled the HDMI switching, I was more than pleased to see how smoothly this unit does it. I've yet to have an HDMI handshake or video degradation issue. As for it's sound reproduction, I have been very happy with it's performance with every format I have thrown it's way. I have an Oppo HD981 hooked via HDMI and am able to enjoy great multichannel SACD and DVD-A. My PS3 is hooked via HDMI as well and I am thrilled by Bluray's lossless codecs. Now if only Sony will release that most awaited update that will allow the PS3 to decode DTS-MA and send PCM. Then we all can enjoy ALL of the lossless formats available.

"To Live Outside The Law You Must Be Honest"
post #6 of 592 Old 01-29-2008, 05:37 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all,
I'm trying to make a sales pitch (to the finance committee, shot out to the HT Guys) for the AVR-888 over the 788.

Since my current setup doesn't use 1080P (and probably won't for the near future) I can't use that as a selling point, since my projector is 720p.

Is there anything else other then the watts (85 VS 100) that is a big selling point with the 888 over the 788.

I'm driving old energy take 5s, would I notice a huge with the extra 15 watts per channel?

Thanks for any input,
Rob
post #7 of 592 Old 01-31-2008, 08:42 AM

Liked: 15
just wanted to check in. Because I just got one of these. all 'budget' recivers have corners they cut.

this one went with full pcm processing over true-hd & dts-ma. It was a chocie I was willing to live with.

I'm coming from a onkyo 604. Still need to watch a movie to see if I hear the difference, but the ability to just play with pcm sound instantly is nice.

esspically night mode on pcm, now I can watch blu-rays late at night on the ps3 and not wake up people.

One thing I miss is the s-video port on the front of the reciver. I used that on my onkyo for my laptop.
post #8 of 592 Old 01-31-2008, 09:20 PM

ya this receiver is really good, i say one of the best preforming ones that does not empty your bank account. It has the features I want, but it does not have the ones which are not necessary.
post #9 of 592 Old 01-31-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiesullivan View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all,
I'm trying to make a sales pitch (to the finance committee, shot out to the HT Guys) for the AVR-888 over the 788.

Since my current setup doesn't use 1080P (and probably won't for the near future) I can't use that as a selling point, since my projector is 720p.

Is there anything else other then the watts (85 VS 100) that is a big selling point with the 888 over the 788.

I'm driving old energy take 5s, would I notice a huge with the extra 15 watts per channel?

Thanks for any input,
Rob

I got a 788, went out to the car in the parking lot, opened the box, leafed through the manual, put the manual back in the box, took the box back to the store, returned the 788 and got an 888. The timestamps on the purchase/refund receipts are within 13min of each other

The reason: no upscaling of component to HDMI. My HD cable box does not have HDMI and the only way I can even begin to justify the expense of a new receiver is by having it do the source switching for both audio and video.

Disclaimer: I am an ex-Denon owner as I must have had a defective unit or something (the sound seemed muffled, even on Pure) so I got a last year's Marantz 4001 at a close out price.
post #10 of 592 Old 01-31-2008, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought one as well. The only thing I wish it has was preouts for my amplifier. I plan on using it for most of this year and then upgrading to the new ones coming this fall.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #11 of 592 Old 02-01-2008, 10:15 PM

i got this one to holdme over for a few years until all the HD stufff becomes standard like dolby digital.
post #12 of 592 Old 02-11-2008, 01:25 PM

Hello people.
So glad I found that thread... Im about to cry !! Ive bought the AVR 788 2 days ago and I cannot make it work like I want !! I know, I read the book, no really friendly, neither is the remote. When I play a regular DVD ( 5.1 surround ) the sound is MONO all around. It will uses all the speakers, but 1 sound only... If Im using my PS3, im watching a PCM 5.1 movie, the sound will be directed to the center speaker very loud, but almost impossible to hear in the other speaker.. How to I know if it is really PCM ? Is the 788 support PCM at least ?

Last problem, how do I get Onscreen display when Im hooked up with HDMI cable everywhere ?

Please help !!

Thanks !
post #13 of 592 Old 02-11-2008, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manouky View Post

Hello people.
So glad I found that thread... Im about to cry !! Ive bought the AVR 788 2 days ago and I cannot make it work like I want !! I know, I read the book, no really friendly, neither is the remote. When I play a regular DVD ( 5.1 surround ) the sound is MONO all around. It will uses all the speakers, but 1 sound only... If Im using my PS3, im watching a PCM 5.1 movie, the sound will be directed to the center speaker very loud, but almost impossible to hear in the other speaker.. How to I know if it is really PCM ? Is the 788 support PCM at least ?

Last problem, how do I get Onscreen display when Im hooked up with HDMI cable everywhere ?

Please help !!

Thanks !

Well, without knowing how you have everything hooked up, I can't really help your first part. The second part is easy - the On Screen display doesn't work over HDMI. You need to run component to your TV.
post #14 of 592 Old 02-11-2008, 01:36 PM

thats a start ! thanks !

regular Phillips DVD player, connected with HDMI to HDMI 1 on receiver
PS3 connected HDMI to HDMI 2 on receiver, the movie in question is LOST the season 3. It got PCM 5.1 uncompressed. Im not even sure if the 788 support this. If so, when I press the Input Mode Auto, is it supposed to detect it right away ?

From the receiver, Monitor out HDMI to my Samsung 1080I HDMI connector. but this isnt relevant because the problem is the sound.
post #15 of 592 Old 02-12-2008, 06:58 AM

manouky

I had the same problem when I first set up. It took me a few hours before I realized the remote had more buttons on the flip side! When watching Dolby Digital 5.1 source material, open the door on the back of the remote and hit the blue STD button. This will definitely give you 5.1 discrete. For PCM, I either use Pure or Direct(D/ST). Hope this gets you back on track. Once you get it up and running, you won't be disappointed.

Tom

post #16 of 592 Old 02-12-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbuick6 View Post

manouky

I had the same problem when I first set up. It took me a few hours before I realized the remote had more buttons on the flip side! When watching Dolby Digital 5.1 source material, open the door on the back of the remote and hit the blue STD button. This will definitely give you 5.1 discrete. For PCM, I either use Pure or Direct(D/ST). Hope this gets you back on track. Once you get it up and running, you won't be disappointed.

Tom

Thats awesome. Ill try this.. Yes, I did know about the back remote already, but didnt really adventure into it ! Also, I realised that by pressing AUDIO AUTO button, the sound gets better and detect the sound being input, but the 5.1 is still not discret but all blended in. I will defenetly try the STD button tonight !
Also, did you do the Audissey setup ? Coz I didnt, you think this would help ?
post #17 of 592 Old 02-12-2008, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

I have been a little puzzled by the STD, Direct, and Pure Direct modes as well. I started by using Pure Direct, since the manual says something about it being the best, but (and this sounds dumb), the display shuts off in Pure Direct, and I didn't like that.

So I switched to Direct. But after spending what seemed like an eternity running the Audyssey, I noticed that the nice little red light on the front indicating Audyssey wouldn't light during Direct, but did light up when I put it in STD mode.

So that's what I use now.

Does anyone know if that sounds right to them? Are we supposed to choose between Audyssey and "Pure Direct"? Also, why have "Direct" and "Pure Direct"?
post #18 of 592 Old 02-12-2008, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Zee View Post

I have been a little puzzled by the STD, Direct, and Pure Direct modes as well. I started by using Pure Direct, since the manual says something about it being the best, but (and this sounds dumb), the display shuts off in Pure Direct, and I didn't like that.

So I switched to Direct. But after spending what seemed like an eternity running the Audyssey, I noticed that the nice little red light on the front indicating Audyssey wouldn't light during Direct, but did light up when I put it in STD mode.

So that's what I use now.

Does anyone know if that sounds right to them? Are we supposed to choose between Audyssey and "Pure Direct"? Also, why have "Direct" and "Pure Direct"?

I'm guessing Direct is applying little processing to the sound, whereas Pure doesn't at all. So if you must have your display on, and don't want to sacrifice tone then direct it is. STD also reroutes your bass to the sub. Direct and Pure don't do that/.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #19 of 592 Old 02-12-2008, 12:23 PM

Hmmm things are getting better with the system.. but yet, so complecated.

The manual is "talking" about a AFDM "On-Off" function.. How do you get there ? Anybody tried that ? Does it make a big different ? I dont find where to get that function !

Thanks
post #20 of 592 Old 02-12-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post

I'm guessing Direct is applying little processing to the sound, whereas Pure doesn't at all. So if you must have your display on, and don't want to sacrifice tone then direct it is. STD also reroutes your bass to the sub. Direct and Pure don't do that/.

So, if DIrect and Pure doesnt direct the bass to the sub, how do you get the Sub to work ?!
post #21 of 592 Old 02-12-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manouky View Post

So, if DIrect and Pure doesnt direct the bass to the sub, how do you get the Sub to work ?!

In pure and pure direct, only the .1 sub channel is sent directly to the sub with no enhancements. In Standard, crossover low frequency signals from your other speakers are also directed to your sub.

post #22 of 592 Old 02-12-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post

So if you use direct, does the receiver treat each speaker as large?

-Vic
post #23 of 592 Old 02-12-2008, 10:51 PM

Hey guys! I'm looking to build an entry-level home theatre for the first time, and I'm looking for a budget receiver. I was previously looking at the Sony STRDG-910 but now I'm interested in the Denon-788. Please don't ask why I'm only considering these two. It's a long long story. Anywhere, there are a few aspects here and there that I don't quite understand. Here is my understanding of this AV receiver. Can someone please correct me on anything I have wrong and/or misunderstood? Thanks.

Hopefully, I'll buy one this weekend and will be able to contribute to the thread in the near future with my opinions on the receiver.

-I'll mainly be using my HT for movies and video games. My main source will be a PS3.
-I'm certain that I don't need a receiver that can do Dolby TrueHD, since my PS3 can do it, and I'm willing to bank on the rumor that the PS3 will eventually be able to decode DTS-HDMA. If not, I'll live.
-I also don't need my receiver to upconvert analog video signals. Again, my PS3 fulfills all of my upconverting needs.
-I'll have a 5.1 surround output, but I'm hoping my receiver will last me for quite a few years until I'm rich enough to buy the big guns, so I want a receiver that can accept a 7.1 PCM signal.
-I'll be using Klipsch Quintet III and a Bic H-100 Subwoofer. Definitely nowhere close to high end, but I got the speakers brand new for free. I don't need my receiver to be be powerful enough to DJ a high-school dance.
-I want my receiver to support the video benefits of HDMI 1.3a, namely Deep Color and xvYCC. As far as I know, the Denon doesn't do any video processing but the passthrough will allow my display to receive these signals, whereas the other receiver I was looking at (Sony STRDG-910) does not.

PSN: bokchoykn
post #24 of 592 Old 02-13-2008, 08:41 AM

Well, the PURE button doesnt do good for me....... even though Im watchin a PCM 5.1 movie, the PURE button will only gets me a poor 2.1 stereo sound.... which blows.... So I have to go back to STD, which defeats the purpose of the quality... ARRRGGHHHH
post #25 of 592 Old 02-13-2008, 08:56 AM

Manouky, make sure you have your PS3 set to PCM (Not Bitsream) when you are playing a PCM soundtrack. Press the triangle button on your PS3 controller when the bluray disc is playing. This will bring up the menu to change the setting from bitstream to PCM. Also, make sure you have your PS3 set to output audio via HDMI. You may have it set to optical. If you have the following settings correct, you should be getting great uncompressed 5.1 audio.

PS3
Audio Output HDMI via PCM
Denon 788
Pure Direct

post #26 of 592 Old 02-13-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbuick6 View Post

Manouky, make sure you have your PS3 set to PCM (Not Bitsream) when you are playing a PCM soundtrack. Press the triangle button on your PS3 controller when the bluray disc is playing. This will bring up the menu to change the setting from bitstream to PCM. Also, make sure you have your PS3 set to output audio via HDMI. You may have it set to optical. If you have the following settings correct, you should be getting great uncompressed 5.1 audio.

PS3
Audio Output HDMI via PCM
Denon 788
Pure Direct

Thanks ! Ill defenetly try that.. I know for a fact that the PS3 is routed to HDMI and PCM already.. But I didnt know I had to do it too while im watchin the movie... So what happen if I dont watch a PCM movie ?! Do I need to reverse back to Bitstream in the setup ?
post #27 of 592 Old 02-13-2008, 09:13 AM

PCM out from PS3 means it is decoding the soundtrack internally
Bitstream out means you are letting your receiver decode the track.
post #28 of 592 Old 02-13-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaniix View Post

PCM out from PS3 means it is decoding the soundtrack internally
Bitstream out means you are letting your receiver decode the track.

I see.....

So I should always leave it to PCM regardless of the soundtrack ? (Even with regular DVD 5.1 ? )

Thanks for you help by the way.

This receiver rocks, but DAMN is it hard to setup !
post #29 of 592 Old 02-13-2008, 09:34 AM

The PCM setting should only effect new HD sound formats, so yes it is my understanding that you leave it to PCM for everything.

I do not have a PS3, but that is my understanding. If I am wrong I am sure someone will flame me any minute =)
post #30 of 592 Old 02-13-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaniix View Post

The PCM setting should only effect new HD sound formats, so yes it is my understanding that you leave it to PCM for everything.

I do not have a PS3, but that is my understanding. If I am wrong I am sure someone will flame me any minute =)

lol... well, at least, I know a bit better.

I just called Denon Canada too and the guy was great. He told me that if I use a normal DVD player that it is important to leave it to Bitstream but I need to flip the AFDM function to ON on my received than use the AUTO sound mode button.. gheeee.. can it be more confusing ?

However, on the PS3, I was testing with LOST, season 3. which is 5.1 dolby and 5.1 PCM uncompressed. THe difference is day/night when I switch back and forth, however, the PCM is concentrated to the middle speaker which is too loud and will overpower the rest of my speaker... strange... I need to find a way to turn down my middle only
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 788 Dolby Digital Surround Receiver , Denon Avr 1908 Dolby Digital Surround Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page