Dolby Pro Logic II Movie mode good for music? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-26-2001, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi! I've been reading a lot about Dolby Pro Logic II..... technical info and listening reviews.

I understand the difference between Pro Logic II Movie and Pro Logic II Music modes, however I'm wondering if Pro Logic II Movie does almost as good of a job with music (2 channel CD listening) as the Music mode does?

I ask this because the new Onkyo TX-DS696 (and probably the Integra 6.2) only has the Movie mode. Onkyo decided not to offer the Music mode.

thanks,
Paul

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-26-2001, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Yes, Paul, the PL II movie mode does a very good job with music, the main difference being that the soundstage is set back a little farther in the movie mode than in the music mode. I use both of them while listening to music, as I find different uses for each one. I prefer the music mode for rock and other electric music, as it puts you more towards the center of the action, while I prefer the movie mode for classical, as it gives a more natural presentation in my ears. Even if you only have the movie mode, I think you will be very happy with it anyway.

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP/5C/DFAST!
post #3 of 6 Old 04-27-2001, 03:04 AM

The TX-DS696 DOES INDEED have DPLII Music mode. I own one.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-27-2001, 03:41 AM

The PL2 movie mode is a sub-set of the music mode. PL2 music has 3 parameters which can be adjusted: center width, depth (front to back balance) and panorama. In music mode center width and depth have 7 positions, panorama can be toggled on or off, in movie mode these settings are fixed and cannot be adjusted. It is possible to make the music and movie modes identical by changing the parameters for the music mode. AFAIK all Prologic II implementations will be basically equivalent and will have the same parameters, but perhaps with different names - this is to avoid the huge variablity that Prologic decoding had between different products.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-27-2001, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Bob, thanks for the info.
---

blueline, that's great news! Apparently Onkyo product support doesn't know their product as well as you...

Thank You for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support
1. you can use the DPL-2 for playing movies or music
2. dose not have (Dimension, Panorama,)
3. we do not have any info on that model at this time
try back in 2-3 weeks
Again, thank you for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support,
if you need further Assistance feel free to call us at 800-229-1687.

They wrote the above to me just yesterday. Note that #3 refers to the soon to be released Integra 6.2.

You know what... now that I reread the answer to #1 I think I MISUNDERSTOOD the reply. I don't have my original question as it was on a web form.... but I think I asked "does the new 696 receiver have both the DPL2 Movie and DPL2 Music modes"? He seems to be answering that it does have both. Great. And you've confirmed this.

---
cskates, from what I read at the dolby site, I don't agree that the Movie mode can be adjusted to be IDENTICAL to the Music mode. The Music mode has autobalance turned OFF, and the surrounds have a mild shelf filter in Music mode.

[This message has been edited by filmosound (edited 04-27-2001).]
post #6 of 6 Old 04-27-2001, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Just to clarify, there is certainly a lot of commonality between Movie and Music modes, as they both use the same core matrix decoder. The differences are that Music mode has the option to provide the C Width, Dimension and Panorama modes, while Movie does not. However, no settings of these controls gives the Movie mode exactly. There are other small differences, such as a mild shelf filter applied to the surrounds in Music that is off in Movie, and there is a difference in coherence between the 2 surround outputs as well. The idea was to ensure that panned surround effects would sound coherent in Movie mode for best localization, but since such hard surround effects are not present in music, the Music mode does not apply this coherence to the surrounds. Also, the Haas effect (time delay) is removed during Music, but is not in Movie.

The Onkyo offers Movie and Music, but no adjustments in Music. It has the standard recommended settings as default.

[This message has been edited by Roger Dressler (edited 04-27-2001).]

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page