Small receiver w/ 3-4 HDMI inputs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-31-2008, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a small form receiver with at least 3 HDMI inputs. I was looking at Panasonic and JVC as they have some sleek looking Receivers but even their most expensive models only had 2 HDMI inputs.

I'd also like video upconversion of analog inputs but I only need 1-2 component and 1-2 regular inputs as I only want 1 cable going to my TV and most of my stuff is switching to HDMI. The only things left will be the Wii and the XBox (though this might go away as well being replaced by a PS3).

I'm looking in the $1000 or less range but would be willing to compromise "slightly" for the perfect box. I just don't have need for a huge receiver with a bazillion unused inputs that takes up space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-31-2008, 09:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Any receiver with the sort of HDMI input you want even in quantity one, is a multi HDMI input receiver with the addition of a small, inexpensive, remote controlled 5X1 HDMI switcher/repeater from Monoprice. I would suggest you look at a refurb Denon 2307CI. Very reasonable for an analog converting, HDMI with audio in receiver. And at least the one I have is HDMI handshake bulletproof.

I am sure the Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo and other parties can chime in here. Just remember that Monoprice switch.

Jerry the HT Nut
post #3 of 12 Old 01-31-2008, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
onkyo 605 upconverts analog to hdmi.

didn't know there was such a thing as a "small" receiver.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-01-2008, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Nut View Post

Any receiver with the sort of HDMI input you want even in quantity one, is a multi HDMI input receiver with the addition of a small, inexpensive, remote controlled 5X1 HDMI switcher/repeater from Monoprice. I would suggest you look at a refurb Denon 2307CI. Very reasonable for an analog converting, HDMI with audio in receiver. And at least the one I have is HDMI handshake bulletproof.

I am sure the Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo and other parties can chime in here. Just remember that Monoprice switch.

2 things.

1. The Panasonics and JVC's look smaller than that Denon and most Denon's I've seen. I haven't seen them in person but from pictures, they look almost half the size.

2. I definitely don't want to go with an independent switcher. The whole point of wanting all of those inputs in 1 receiver is so I can just use the receiver remote to control basically everything.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-03-2008, 08:06 AM

I've been looking for a receiver with this configuration too. So far the only potential option I've seen is the receiver that Sony will be including in a soon-to-be released HTIB system. According to the press release, it should have 3 HDMI inputs and the form-factor is slim like that of the panasonic and jvc models.

Cut directly from the release about Sony HT-SS2300:

The HT-SS2300 and HT-CT100 component systems are designed for Blu-rayDisc players and other high-definition components using three 1080p-capable HDMI inputs, in addition to optical and coaxial digital inputs.

The 5.1 channel HT-SS2300 system, with 1,000 watts (RMS) of power,features a slim AV receiver designed to match Sony's line of 2008 Blu-rayDisc players. It will be available this summer for about $400.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-03-2008, 12:34 PM

personally I wouldn't waste $400 on an HTIB setup like that. The speaker quality will suffer from paying so little for such a system. Spend you money on one of the new Sony receivers with pass through switching, or use the switcher and a harmony remote. Everyone I know loves their universal remote no matter what the brand. Then save up for some decent speakers. There are lots of recommendation you can find in the speaker forum.

"What is truth?" - Pontius Pilate
"I am the way and the truth and the light" - Jesus Christ
post #7 of 12 Old 03-03-2008, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by siege911 View Post

I'm looking for a small form receiver with at least 3 HDMI inputs. I was looking at Panasonic and JVC as they have some sleek looking Receivers but even their most expensive models only had 2 HDMI inputs.

I'd also like video upconversion of analog inputs but I only need 1-2 component and 1-2 regular inputs as I only want 1 cable going to my TV and most of my stuff is switching to HDMI. The only things left will be the Wii and the XBox (though this might go away as well being replaced by a PS3).

I'm looking in the $1000 or less range but would be willing to compromise "slightly" for the perfect box. I just don't have need for a huge receiver with a bazillion unused inputs that takes up space.

Take a look at the Sony STR-DG910. It's relatively small, has 3 HDMI inputs, transcodes analog video signals to HDMI, has component and composite inputs (no s-video) and sell for <$500. If you can wait until May/June, STR-DG820/920 will do the same with 4 HDMI inputs and HBR bitstream decoding of high def lossless audio.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-03-2008, 04:19 PM

True, but I think you're both missing the crux of the question.

Yes, a $400 HTIB will have worthless speakers...you'll have to plan on throwing them away.

Yes, Sony makes much better receivers and compared to some other brands, they're relatively 'slim' (~6 inches high), but this guy wants something like the JVC or panasonic (i.e., 3.5 to 4 inches high) with 3 HDMI inputs.

Obviously if a 6+ inch high receiver will do, there are many great choices, but if it has to be 4, the HT-SS2300 looks like the only choice. Hopefully JVC or Panasonic will wake up soon and start making 'digital' (switchable-amp) receivers with a reasonable number of HDMI inputs.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-17-2009, 07:03 PM

Bringing up an old thread (since this was the only search-engine hit along the same lines), I'm curious if any 'small' receiver exists that is less than 16" wide. I was able to stick a PS3 in *perfectly* inside one of the boxes of an IKEA Expedit bookcase (which has an opening of about 32cm). This is a shot in the dark, but I was hoping there existed a receiver that was equivalent. All of the base receiver units I've been looking at (Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, Harman Kardon) aren't even close.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-19-2010, 04:25 AM

Looking for the same!

Want a receiver that is physically small, has 3/4 hdmi and at least one optical.
Its for a bedroom, so i don't need something powerful or over the top, just need something to accommodate for my xbox 360 (optical), HD set top box (HDMI) and appletv (HDMI).

Don't really wanna break the bank, just a decent 5.1 setup, looked at the option of soundbar and HTIB but cant find anything with enough inputs.

Also, to make the equation even harder, I'm in Australia, so not a lot of equipment is so readily available
post #11 of 12 Old 07-19-2010, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefivesxx View Post

Looking for the same!

Want a receiver that is physically small, has 3/4 hdmi and at least one optical.
Its for a bedroom, so i don't need something powerful or over the top, just need something to accommodate for my xbox 360 (optical), HD set top box (HDMI) and appletv (HDMI).

Don't really wanna break the bank, just a decent 5.1 setup, looked at the option of soundbar and HTIB but cant find anything with enough inputs.

Also, to make the equation even harder, I'm in Australia, so not a lot of equipment is so readily available

Marantz 1501........
post #12 of 12 Old 08-29-2010, 07:39 AM

Hi. I need something similar except shallowness is more important than short height. I want one cable going to my wall-mounted TV. I am a foster mom not an audiophile and don't want to spend a lot of money. HDMI switching is essential. I also want to pass video and audio from my computer, but I want to use the computer interface to control it, i.e. I am thinking can use the VGA output, convert it to HDMI (using a cable converter?) to the receiver, and simultaneously output analog audio from the computer soundcard (external card which also has SPDIF output if I need it) to the receiver.

I would even be happy with something that includes a DVD player. My main criteria are shallowness and pass-through.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page