The Yamaha RX-V663 thread. HDMI 1.3 upconversion, TrueHD, DTS MA decoding. - Page 154 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #4591 of 11043 Old 05-31-2008, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_winds View Post

Holy hot wings chicken liver.
6ave sold a Boat Load of V663's this week. I hope everyone who wanted one was able to get there order in.

I think you mean "is able to get their order in". Sale is still good through today. But yes, they must have sold a ton of these during this promotion. It really is a great deal--I hope the receiver lives up to expectations when I get it. I'm curious to see how it compares sound-wise to my current Harman Kardon receiver (AVR-635). If it compares favorably, then this will be a real steal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 11043 Old 05-31-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbateman View Post

Hey Guys,
Just installed my receiver yesterday replacing my HTR-5960. I haven't really played much with it since i installed it late, to be honest so far I don't hear much difference between both but thats probably because obviously my "old" receiver wasn't really "old", but the HDMI in this one makes it worth it.
I had a couple of questions:
1) Do you guys see the On Screen Display for the volume when using HDMI? My old receiver would show me the volume readings on screen when I would increase it or decrease it (non hdmi though) but this one doesn't seem to do it, i actually have to look at the receiver display to make sure its going up/down and what level it is at...also just for reference whats the normal "listening" level you guys use..i kind of have to crank it, but I think all that loud music has taken its toll on me thats why..
2) Im running HDMI from my cable box to the receiver then to the TV. Somehow when i switch channels there's like a pause that wasn't there before almost like the TV loses signal and takes about a second then switches the channel. I am guessing because before i was going directly from the box to the TV, now its going tru the receiver and hence the pause....again just making sure this is normal...
3) I have a relatively crappy HTIB SONY subwoofer and surround speakers. The Center and front speakers are much better. Because of this in YPAO, I chose "FRONT" under Equalizer as suggested in the manual, should I change anything else such as the crossover or just leave things as they are given the crappy woofer and surround speakers..
Thanx!!

Hey guys....any clues on these?....mostly #1
post #4593 of 11043 Old 05-31-2008, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Do you guys see the On Screen Display for the volume when using HDMI?

no
post #4594 of 11043 Old 05-31-2008, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

#1 There is no Screen overlay "You won't see the On Screen Display for the volume"

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #4595 of 11043 Old 05-31-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post

If it compares favorably, then this will be a real steal.

I think you mean "real deal"

post #4596 of 11043 Old 05-31-2008, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cytotech View Post

I'm worried the power will be inadequate compared to what I'm running now

At absolute maximum volume the RX-V2600 is only 0.87dB louder than the RX-V663. The average person cannot detect a difference less than 3dB!

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #4597 of 11043 Old 05-31-2008, 01:20 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cytotech View Post

Hey guys, this is quite the informative thread!
I've always had a love for Yamaha receivers, since I owned the DSP-A1 back in the day. My current receiver is the RX-V2600 which is limited because it won't pass a 1080p signal(much less decode the newest surround formats!). I want to get the 663, but I'm worried the power will be inadequate compared to what I'm running now. I have a fairly large space(20x22 w/ a ceiling that slopes from 12-17 ft), and don't want to overdrive the 663.
Help me out with some reassurance before the coupon code expires for 6ave.com!

I went from a 2500 to the 663. I had the same worries As it turns out the 663 has plenty of power for my listening room. It isn't as large as yours is but to tell the truth I can't tell much if any change volume wise. As long as you were not useing max volume on the 2600 i think you will be fine. A good powered sub will help to lighten the load also.

I would say go for it. It's just too good to pass up at this price.

John
post #4598 of 11043 Old 05-31-2008, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

At absolute maximum volume the RX-V2600 is only 0.87dB louder than the RX-V663. The average person cannot detect a difference less than 3dB!

Not sure I agree with you there, Cavu

My 2700 definitely seems to have more power than my 657 did, and the 657 has a bit more power than the 663 did, at least on paper. It's not a dramatic difference though, and the 2700 and 2600 are not identical.

But I would expect the 2600 owner to lose a bit in total power, especially in 7-channel stereo mode (which he may not use.)

I would not move from my 2700 to the 663 just to gain HD audio. I am holding out for a player which will decode DTS-HD Master Audio (yes, I know the PS3 does this for a great price, but I want a player, not a game console.)

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #4599 of 11043 Old 05-31-2008, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

OK, you tell me what the power difference is. Point out the error of my ways ....

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
" - MLK

post #4600 of 11043 Old 05-31-2008, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbateman View Post

Hey guys....any clues on these?....mostly #1
1) Do you guys see the On Screen Display for the volume

No. This makes it easier to tweak up the volume without the wife noticing.

Quote:

...also just for reference whats the normal "listening" level you guys use.

I think this will depend on your speakers and room, but FWIW -35 to -30 is pretty good on my setup, -20 is too loud even for me, and the wife will leave the room at ~-25 dB on the volume display.

Quote:

2) Somehow when i switch channels there's like a pause that wasn't there before almost like the TV loses signal and takes about a second then switches the channel...again just making sure this is normal...

Not sure how "normal" it is. I don't see any problem between channels most of the time, but perhaps when switching between channels that are at different resolutions. Even then I can't swear that having the 663 in the chain makes a difference. Some of us have had minor issues with a "green screen" when switching video from analog to digital sources.

Quote:

3) I have a relatively crappy HTIB SONY subwoofer and surround speakers. The Center and front speakers are much better. Because of this in YPAO, I chose "FRONT" under Equalizer as suggested in the manual, should I change anything else such as the crossover or just leave things as they are given the crappy woofer and surround speakers..

I'd let the YPAO make the decisions, just as you already have. I think few of us have the tools or know-how to make better choices than the YPAO.
post #4601 of 11043 Old 05-31-2008, 02:10 PM

I'm starting to get cold feet. I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger on this one, wait until the new Pioneer, Denon, and HK's to come out. I know today is the last day to get it for $359, and not sure if it's going to be at this price point in a couple of months when everybody will have their 2008 lineup out. Also, I may be thinking that this may be too much avr for me. I currently have a 5.1 setup and will never have a 7.2 setup, my room will not allow it. Currently own PS3 and HD-A3 HDDVD player, soon to be hooked up to Samsung 40A550.
What to do?
post #4602 of 11043 Old 05-31-2008, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycincy85 View Post

What to do?

Quit wallowing. Make a decision?

" - MLK

post #4603 of 11043 Old 05-31-2008, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycincy85 View Post

I'm starting to get cold feet. I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger on this one, wait until the new Pioneer, Denon, and HK's to come out. I know today is the last day to get it for $359, and not sure if it's going to be at this price point in a couple of months when everybody will have their 2008 lineup out. Also, I may be thinking that this may be too much avr for me. I currently have a 5.1 setup and will never have a 7.2 setup, my room will not allow it. Currently own PS3 and HD-A3 HDDVD player, soon to be hooked up to Samsung 40A550.
What to do?

pull the trigger

post #4604 of 11043 Old 05-31-2008, 02:41 PM

On the 663 is it easy to switch back and forth between sending sound to the surround back speakers for 7.1 operation and sending sound to the Zone 2 speakers?

FWIW - this site says the 6th Ave coupon expires in June 9. I certainly wouldn't count on that: http://www.dealigg.com/story-6th-ave...om-coupon-code
post #4605 of 11043 Old 05-31-2008, 02:56 PM

Liked: 11
pbateman,

I do notice a delay, blink, of the screen when changing channels on my direct tv DVR. It also brings up the HDMI box in the corner of the screen everytime also. It's like it has to re-handshake everytime with HDMI.

I have a panny ae900 projector hooked up via HDMI to the 663, DVR to the 663 via HDMI. When I used component on my old 2500 this did not happen. It isn't a BIG deal to me but it does get old when channel surfing.

John
post #4606 of 11043 Old 05-31-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realmiggy View Post

Jeffrey,

After reading back through this thread on others' experiences with 6ave, I won't bother to call them. I do have the order confirmation e-mail stating the correct sales price. As far as processing, it appears that they are just nowhere near as fast as the sites I'm used to ordering from. I'm used to the order being shipped 5 minutes after I click the final Submit Order button.

Oh well, with the great price I'm getting I can wait a little longer, but I hope it doesn't take too long. I'm moving at the end of June!

Miggy, the Thief

Not touting 6ave necessarily, but they have always shipped quickly for me. I ordered a 663 today, I expect to see it by Wednesday if not sooner (Friday worst case). I'm on the east coast though, so that probably helps.
post #4607 of 11043 Old 05-31-2008, 03:30 PM

Okay,
Just so I'm clear. I am currently in the process of hooking up my gear. My question to anyone with the same set up. I have both the Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD and the Panasonic BD-30K.
To clarify it for me is the following set up correct?

HD A1 > PCM via HDMI to 663 will give me True HD right?
Is it better or worse to use HDMI for True HD or Analog out? The HD A1 only has 5.1 analog out so there is no way to get 7.1 with this player,Correct?

Either way is fine with me but I guess I am asking if someone has already verified this and knows the optimal audio set up.

In regards to the Panny BD-30K I would set everything to bitstream and leave the 663 set on straight and I'm there . Is this right?

I'm sure this has been answered in one form or another but if you guys would help me here it would save me some grey matter for tonight.

Thanks

Bakeman
post #4608 of 11043 Old 05-31-2008, 04:22 PM

dferr,

I'm on the east coast, too (NC). If you would, keep me informed of your progress. My order from yesterday is still in status "New Order" and my card hasn't been charged, yet.

Miggy, the Thief
post #4609 of 11043 Old 05-31-2008, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Firstly let me say I own a YAm 663 myself.
But there is not a lot of reviews / comparisons, despite such a long thread but plenty of "go ahead and buy" suggestions.

The 663 or 863 isn't a cure for cancer and will NOT sound like that 10k hi fi in your system. So go ahead and buy it, but Listen to it first.

Owners tend to like others to join them, and also like to have others agree with their purchase, but lets temper our opinions so the potential buyer understands what they are buying.

At the end of the day, this is a budget AV amp, a cheap ticket into the lossless format, level 6 amp

Just my personal opinion
post #4610 of 11043 Old 05-31-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

My 2700 definitely seems to have more power than my 657 did, and the 657 has a bit more power than the 663 did, at least on paper. It's not a dramatic difference though, and the 2700 and 2600 are not identical.

But I would expect the 2600 owner to lose a bit in total power, especially in 7-channel stereo mode (which he may not use.)

I would not move from my 2700 to the 663 just to gain HD audio. I am holding out for a player which will decode DTS-HD Master Audio (yes, I know the PS3 does this for a great price, but I want a player, not a game console.)

Thanks for the advice, not only from you, but cavu and others. I do not use 7.1, as my room will only allow for appropriate placement of 5.1. I do, however, have a nice powered sub, so no worries there!
Oh, and I placed my order before lunch today. Woohoo!
post #4611 of 11043 Old 05-31-2008, 10:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

OK, you tell me what the power difference is. Point out the error of my ways ....

One possible difference is the power supply. Neither receiver can push out it's channel rated power to all channels continuously, but the 2700 may come closer. That's pure speculation on my part of course.

I certainly won't argue the point, as my conclusion are purely speculative. But the 2700 does seem to have more power based on my personal experience with having owned both the 2700 and the 657.

The prospective buyer should evaluate my opinion with the proper amount of critisizm.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #4612 of 11043 Old 06-01-2008, 04:57 AM

ok, it's the final round now

LCD is here, got the PS3, Sib&Cub² are on their way...now the A/V receiver...

Basically it's Yam 663 vs Onkyo 606 vs Denon 2308.
606 doesn't have very good reputation due to overheat and stuff...

663 is good, but BTW clip annoys me : all my other components support BTW, WTW and deep color so this receiver would hinder my video capabilities

my question is then : why did you choose 663 over 2308 ?
post #4613 of 11043 Old 06-01-2008, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Uhm... maybe because the 2308 is twice the price of the 663?
post #4614 of 11043 Old 06-01-2008, 05:13 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Has anyone used the monoprice 4x2 matrix switcher with any success?

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #4615 of 11043 Old 06-01-2008, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleapman View Post

FWIW - this site says the 6th Ave coupon expires in June 9. I certainly wouldn't count on that: http://www.dealigg.com/story-6th-ave...om-coupon-code

Just tested out the coupon code this morning at 6th Ave., and it is not taking. So it appears the 5/31 expiration was accurate.
post #4616 of 11043 Old 06-01-2008, 07:34 AM
FFF

Quote:

Coz the 2309 is on the way?
post #4617 of 11043 Old 06-01-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post

Just tested out the coupon code this morning at 6th Ave., and it is not taking. So it appears the 5/31 expiration was accurate.

Thanks. I took my own advice and used the coupon yesterday.
post #4618 of 11043 Old 06-01-2008, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubijub View Post

ok, it's the final round now

LCD is here, got the PS3, Sib&Cub² are on their way...now the A/V receiver...

Basically it's Yam 663 vs Onkyo 606 vs Denon 2308.
606 doesn't have very good reputation due to overheat and stuff...

663 is good, but BTW clip annoys me : all my other components support BTW, WTW and deep color so this receiver would hinder my video capabilities

A few good points listed here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post13142666
You have the chance to get the EU version, cool remote and maybe Silver in color

post #4619 of 11043 Old 06-01-2008, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubijub View Post

all my other components support BTW, WTW and deep color so this receiver would hinder my video capabilities

Explain, exactly, how the 663 would "hinder" your video.

" - MLK

post #4620 of 11043 Old 06-01-2008, 02:50 PM

If the 6th ave. coupon doesn't work, which it sounds like it won't, J&R is still offering the 663 for $399 w/ free shipping. I got the deal just over a week ago, and I was listening to it within 3 days. I was helped by John at Ext. #1053, I asked him about the deal I head about on AVS Forum, it only took him 3 min. to get approval to give me the price. $100 off, how could anyone pass it up!?!

Yamaha RX-V663
Paradigm Cinema CT110's 5.1
Samsung 50 in. DLP
Thoshiba A3 HD-DVD
PS3
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page