The Yamaha RX-V663 thread. HDMI 1.3 upconversion, TrueHD, DTS MA decoding. - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #181 of 11037 Old 02-25-2008, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

Yes I am , we are placing orders for more units. Thank you for the kind words about Rick, he's one of our audio experts. For specific questions about your order please PM me.

Larone Stevens

Thank you very much.

Sits with big grin on face counting the days till his new toy arrives!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 11037 Old 02-25-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

You haven't ordered it yet? Why not? It will work well with the speakers you have chosen, especially if you ever upgrade to an external amp. I use my current Yamaha HTR-5790 with a Rotel amp and some ERA speakers(Close competitor to Monitor Audio). I think my system sounds great but Your mileage may vary.

I would say buy the Yammie and if it doesn't sound right to you then flip it on Ebay, Craiglist, or AudioGon. At that price I guarantee you won't loose much money if any selling it used!

I placed my order at JR, the rep (Dan) was extremely helpful, Id have to say one of the friendlyest sales reps Ive spoke with in quite some time, he said I may be placed on the second shippment of the Yamaha RX-633 and it still shouldnt be more than a couple of weeks before my order ships, Iam now trying to figure out on how to scape-up 600+ for the Monitor Audio BR6's Iam wanting, Ill use the Yamaha to run my Onkyo speakers for now in place of the Onkyo HT-R520 Reciever driving them now, should be okay, Ill just have to becareful of the extra power of the Yamaha and not turn it up too loud HEHE, righttt LOL.

Living Large in the Town of GOLD http://flashlightsngear.com/
post #183 of 11037 Old 02-25-2008, 01:54 PM

those of you who have pre-ordered... what are your thoughts on the extended warranty? I've had my denon for 8 yrs flawless. My general thought is that yamaha makes quality products and if it was going to break, it would be flakey from the start in which I could just return it. I'm assuming there is a standard 1 yr warranty from the manufacturer anyways.
post #184 of 11037 Old 02-25-2008, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by substance12 View Post

if it was going to break, it would be flakey from the start in which I could just return it.

After owning all sorts of electronics equipment and brands over the years, this is also my opinion. I have never had equipment that turned out to be defective or have issues past the expiration of it normal warranty. This is why I never purchases extended warranty's, even on refurbs.

Although, this is just my experience and opinion. To some, I'm sure the extra $ that insures them peace of mind is worth it.
post #185 of 11037 Old 02-25-2008, 02:07 PM

Crutchfield shows 2 year warranty for the Yamaha
post #186 of 11037 Old 02-25-2008, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

If you can already pre order this for as low as 399.00, wouldn't it stand to reason that you could buy it this low when it comes out? I'm really interested in buying this but I'm holding out till I at least hear something on how well it works first.

Damnit! I couldn't help it. just got off the phone and pre ordered mine also. Too good to pass up! I've been holding off on a new receiver for the last year or so trying to get as "future proof" as I could get and for this price it's just to good to pass up. I personally prefer to order online but the over the phone went smooth and fast! Great guy by the name of Alex hooked me up Only took a few minutes.

My current receiver is a Yamaha RXV-2500 which has been great, looking forward to this new 1 to pair up with an amp that I am planning on buying soon Hopefully I can get the amp and the new receiver right around the same time so that I can get it all up and running. Thanks to you know who on the GREAT DEAL!

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #187 of 11037 Old 02-25-2008, 02:50 PM

I also ordered my RX-V663 from Alex on Saturday. Very helpful and recieved the confirmation e-mail almost immediately.
post #188 of 11037 Old 02-25-2008, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulims View Post

The RX-v3800 has only 7 amps. Presence works only if your source has surround back signals, it does not work on 5.1 signals. RX-v1800 presence and surround back can also be activated at the same time and you dont need 9 channels to have them working it is DSP based. I suspect, the 663 does this too.

Wrong. DSP works before amplification, it doesn't somehow "split" a channel after amplification. Each active channel needs its own amplifier. Simple. The RX-V1800 manual specifically states on p. 15 that "You can connect both surround back and presence speakers to this unit, but they do not output sound simultaneously." (Same wording in the 3800 manual, btw, although I never mentioned that one.)

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/...U_bookmark.pdf

It also states on p.15 that "the presence speakers supplement the sound from the front speakers with extra ambient effects produced by the sound field programs." Not only don't the "presence" signals not require surround back signals in the source, they're actually mutually-exclusive and you can set the unit to prioritize one or the other.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #189 of 11037 Old 02-25-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post

Wrong. DSP works before amplification, it doesn't somehow "split" a channel after amplification. Each active channel needs its own amplifier. Simple. The RX-V1800 manual specifically states on p. 15 that "You can connect both surround back and presence speakers to this unit, but they do not output sound simultaneously." (Same wording in the 3800 manual, btw, although I never mentioned that one.)

It also states on p.15 that "the presence speakers supplement the sound from the front speakers with extra ambient effects produced by the sound field programs." Not only don't the "presence" signals not require surround back signals in the source, they're actually mutually-exclusive and you can set the unit to prioritize one or the other.

So Jack, help me out for a sec. I will be running a 3.0 system off the 663. If you were me, would you bi-amp the l/r off the backs or set-up the presence option. My speakers are jbl studio L880 pair, and a LC1 center.
post #190 of 11037 Old 02-25-2008, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I don't think the pseudo "bi-amping" will really do anything you can hear, so I'd at least try the presence (which I haven't tried myself).

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #191 of 11037 Old 02-25-2008, 06:21 PM

Just placed my pre-order. No issues. They said should be shipping 2-3 weeks. Replacing an older Yamaha HTR-5250. Never had an issue with that one and do not expect one with this one.
post #192 of 11037 Old 02-25-2008, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So has anyone been able to ascertain with any amount of certainty whether thr RX-V663 can simultaneously output sound through all 7 channels PLUS the presence outputs as well for a total of up to 9 channels? I looked through the manual a couple of times and it doesn't state from what I saw whether or not it could. In some of the other manuals I've read for other yamaha receivers it clearly states that it could not. But this is the first time in any manual I've found it didn't state any releveant info at all. The thought of running all 9 channels would be AWESOME (I hope) With this new receiver which I already ordered, it would be nice to know for sure due to the fact that I am ordering some amps and it would be really nice to know whether I'd need power for 9 channels or 7. I could buy 2 nice 5 channel amps, or just 1 7 channel amp :/

From what little has been mentioned on this subject in this thread so far, there seems to be a couple of opinions going both ways.

2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #193 of 11037 Old 02-25-2008, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But this is the first time in any manual I've found it didn't state any releveant info at all.

See page 24 of the manual for the relevant info on the pre-outs. There are 7 pre-outs as well as two subs. The "SUR.BACK PRE OUT" jacks can be assigned the "presence" channel, but one sets of jacks can't be both at the same time, obviously.
So, again, we have 7.1 channels active simultaneously.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #194 of 11037 Old 02-25-2008, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

See page 24 of the manual for the relevant info on the pre-outs. There are 7 pre-outs as well as two subs. The "SUR.BACK PRE OUT" jacks can be assigned the "presence" channel, but one sets of jacks can't be both at the same time, obviously.
So, again, we have 7.1 channels active simultaneously.

Ok yea I see that now, but what about the possibility of using the receiver's built in amp for the presence speakers? And hooking up the 7 channel amp to the preouts for the standard 7 channels.

2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #195 of 11037 Old 02-25-2008, 09:16 PM

I just ordered the onyko 605 from amazon 2 days ago, can anyone tell me how this unit compare to 605?? Both unit are on the same price range,Should I cancel the 605 and go for this Yammy?? ........ I need advices pls....thanks!!!
post #196 of 11037 Old 02-25-2008, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethbennet View Post

I just ordered the onyko 605 from amazon 2 days ago, can anyone tell me how this unit compare to 605?? Both unit are on the same price range,Should I cancel the 605 and go for this Yammy?? ........ I need advices pls....thanks!!!

When comparing SQ of the 661 and considering the 663 should be similar, I'd recommend the 663 over the 605.
post #197 of 11037 Old 02-25-2008, 09:46 PM

Alright, so I am a little confused about this receiver, its sibling (863), and the v1800. My concerns are about upscaling video. From reading all 7 pages here, I understand that the 663 does not improve the resolution of any analog source (it simply sends it via HDMI). But, does the 863 scale up the resolution at all then? I had settled on the v1800 over the 861 until this morning when I saw the new 863. I have athena technology speakers with a Panasonic Plasma, PS3, PS2, and an Xbox, and am running with a htr-5960. Teach a newbie...pleeeeease?
post #198 of 11037 Old 02-25-2008, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTension View Post

Alright, so I am a little confused about this receiver, its sibling (863), and the v1800. My concerns are about upscaling video. From reading all 7 pages here, I understand that the 663 does not improve the resolution of any analog source (it simply sends it via HDMI). But, does the 863 scale up the resolution at all then? I had settled on the v1800 over the 861 until this morning when I saw the new 863. I have athena technology speakers with a Panasonic Plasma, PS3, PS2, and an Xbox, and am running with a htr-5960. Teach a newbie...pleeeeease?

Yes, the 863 will scale all analog signals over HDMI up to 1080p.
post #199 of 11037 Old 02-26-2008, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

Ok yea I see that now, but what about the possibility of using the receiver's built in amp for the presence speakers? And hooking up the 7 channel amp to the preouts for the standard 7 channels.

In order to get the "Presence" channel at the "Extra Sp" posts, you've got to assign it to them (p. 33). When you do that, though, the "Presence" channel replaces the "Surround back" channel at the "SUR.BACK PRE OUT" jacks (p. 24).
As noted above, they are mutually-exclusive.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #200 of 11037 Old 02-26-2008, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTension View Post

Up scaling is a nice to have feature. I don't think it is worth the extra several hundred dollars though. Remember your TV up scales everything anyway. Unless it does a very poor job at that I would just go for a non-upscaling receiver.
post #201 of 11037 Old 02-26-2008, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Up scaling is a nice to have feature. I don't think it is worth the extra several hundred dollars though. Remember your TV up scales everything anyway. Unless it does a very poor job at that I would just go for a non-upscaling receiver.

Is that what purchasers are hoping with an upscaling AVR, that its performance is better than what would happen anyway in the display (perhaps akin to an "upconverting" DVD player?) Are there other benefits? If it's set at 1080p, wouldn't it just be scaled down again for non-1080p displays?

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #202 of 11037 Old 02-26-2008, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

From what I have seen most novice consumers hear the Buzz Word “Upscaling” and they immediately think it will turn their Standard Def content into “Near HD Quality”. It all comes from Best Buy and Circuit City advertising the “Near HD Quality” up scaling DVD players.

Personally I think that up scaling can do wonders for 480p content(Like in Film DVDs). However, I really don’t see the benefit of it for any resolutions lower or higher than that. 480i content is just useless.

No matter what you do you have to deinterlace interlaced content to display it on a progressive display. You are going to loose quality whenever you deinterlace it by nature. Now you have to deinterlace 1080i also. However, 1080i actually has more resolution than all of the all 720p can display anyway. Deinterlacing just really does not degrade at 1080i picture as much as a 480i picture.

Bottom line: When I buy a receiver I want the following things for the lowest amount possible. Nothing more nothing less.

1. At least one HDMI 1.3 input. I actually do need HDMI 1.3 contrary to popular belief! I will be using a computer which outputs audio over HDMI from an Auzentech HDMI audio card. The problem is that the software I play the movies with does not display the audio codec on the screen when I switch from one source to another. If I use PCM to the receiver then I won’t be able to tell if it is DD, DTS, DD+, DD True-HD, or DTS-MA. If I can bit-stream it then my receiver will tell me. Now the other problem is that the Auzentech card is not out yet and no-one knows if it will actually support bit-streaming.

I don’t need anymore than one input because my $40 monoprice 4 port switch works just fine.

2. I need good pre-outs. I just bought a $330 used Rotel amp instead of trying to find a decent amp in a receiver. This is the single best way to reduce to the cost of your home theatre. There is no better bang for your buck than $330 for 5x100 watts of Rotel goodness.

3. I need a GOOD night mode. I have two young children and they wake up instantly if they hear the TV on at night. I need a night mode that does not mess with specific frequencies. I just want it to do heavy volume leveling when I set the receiver to a low volume and then reduce the volume leveling as I increase the volume on the receiver. That is exactly what Yamaha’s new Dynamic Range Compression advertises.

4. I need the OSD to display on the screen over HDMI. My receiver is too far away to read the display on the front panel.

5. I need 2 optical and 2 co-axial audio inputs.

It looks like the RX-V663 fits everyone of those requirements and it is just about the cheapest brand new HDMI receiver I could find. Purchase made!
post #203 of 11037 Old 02-26-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:

2. I need good pre-outs. I just bought a $330 used Rotel amp instead of trying to find a decent amp in a receiver. This is the single best way to reduce to the cost of your home theatre. There is no better bang for your buck than $330 for 5x100 watts of Rotel goodness.

It looks like the RX-V663 fits everyone of those requirements and it is just about the cheapest brand new HDMI receiver I could find. Purchase made!

The V1800 is about the price of the used Rotel amp + the V663, which do you think would sound better?
post #204 of 11037 Old 02-26-2008, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg90 View Post

The V1800 is about the price of the used Rotel amp + the V663, which do you think would sound better?

I absolutely love my Rotel. I would take it over anything but the Z11 from Yamaha!
post #205 of 11037 Old 02-26-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:

I absolutely love my Rotel. I would take it over anything but the Z11 from Yamaha!

But would you lose any SQ by having a lower-end receiver sending the output?
post #206 of 11037 Old 02-26-2008, 08:27 AM

Just got off the phone with Leo at JR, placed my order. Can't wait.
post #207 of 11037 Old 02-26-2008, 08:55 AM

My first post here. Placed my order yesterday. Received confirmation e-mail already.
post #208 of 11037 Old 02-26-2008, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg90 View Post

But would you lose any SQ by having a lower-end receiver sending the output?

That is debatable. I still do not know of any specs that tell me how to measure whether a pre-out on one receiver is better than another. You have wattage, distortion, weight, and total power to tell how good of an amp is in a certain receiver. That doesn't matter for the pre-outs though and I don't think they list any specs for it.

I tried turning my receiver up to reference level with the optical input muted. I stuck my ear against the speaker and I didn't hear any hiss or any static. I tried the same thing but I used my analog inputs as the source instead. If I go past reference level -8db then the static is quite prevalent.

My guess is that the pre-out stages on receivers are actually pretty good. My experience is that the analog inputs are not so good. I have no way of knowing how that would compare to high end equipment though.
post #209 of 11037 Old 02-26-2008, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Can the RX-V663 and 661 both display the OSD on a TV? How can I do this with mine? I sorta hate looking at my receiver everytime I change the volume on it.
post #210 of 11037 Old 02-26-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteriouskk View Post

Can the RX-V663 and 661 both display the OSD on a TV? How can I do this with mine? I sorta hate looking at my receiver everytime I change the volume on it.

It is my understanding they both have this function but only the 663 allows you to do it via HDMI.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page