The Yamaha RX-V663 thread. HDMI 1.3 upconversion, TrueHD, DTS MA decoding. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 11043 Old 02-17-2008, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...TE&VNM=WORKING

HDMI upconversion of all analog souces. 1080p60hz, 1080p24hz support, Dolby True HD and DTS Master Audio support. Even has a surprise output for 2 subwoofers with possibly seperate level controls!

RX-V663BL 7.2-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver NOTE: The HTR 6160 is the same receiver as the V663!
High-Performance Home Theater Receiver features full support for HD audio formats, HDMI video up-conversion and de-interlacing, iPod and Bluetooth audio compatibility, improved YPAO, Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control), multi-zone custom installation facility, and four SCENE buttons.
MAIN FEATURES
High Sound Quality
HD Audio format support: Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio and DTS-HD Master Audio
7-channel 665W powerful surround sound (95W x 7)
Digital ToP-ART and High Current Amplification
Pure Direct for higher fidelity sound reproduction
Burr-Brown 192kHz/24-bit DACs used in all channels
Assignable amplifiers for bi-amp connection
Advanced Features
4 SCENE buttons offering greater operating ease (with 18 preset SCENE templates)
XM ready with XM HD Surround powered by Neural Surround
SIRIUS Satellite Radio ready
Improved YPAO for automatic speaker setup
iPod compatibility via Yamaha Universal Dock
Bluetooth (A2DP) compatibility with Yamaha Bluetooth® Wireless Audio Receiver (YBA-10)
Superior multi-zone control compatibility
High Picture Quality
1080p-compatible HDMI (2 in/1 out)
Supports Deep Color (up to 36 bit), x.v.Color, a double speed Refresh Rates of 120Hz and 1080p/24Hz transmission, and Auto Lip-Sync compenzation
Analog video to HDMI digital video upconversion and deinterlacing with TBC Surround Realism
• Fine-tuned CINEMA DSP and Adaptive DSP level
Improved Compressed Music Enhancer
Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control)
Other Notable Features
XM Satellite Radio ready with XM HD Surround powered by Neural Surround
SIRIUS Satellite Radio ready
40-station preset tuning / Auto preset tuning
HD Audio LPCM 7.1-channel reception (up to 192kHz)
High dynamic power and Linear Damping
Low Jitter PLL Circuitry
Assignable amplifiers for bi-amp connection
Initial Volume and Maximum Volume Setting
iPod song titles displayed in English and Western European languages ISO 8859-1 (Latin 1) on the front panel and on-screen display
SILENT CINEMA and Virtual CINEMA DSP
Dialogue Lift for dialogue to screen center
Preout terminals for front, center, surround and surround back, and dual mono subwoofer out
9 selectable subwoofer crossover frequencies
Subwoofer phase select
8-channel or 6-channel external input
Speaker A, B, A+B selection
Preset remote unit

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11043 Old 02-17-2008, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpl07 View Post

Yamaha RX-V663 Official Website
Yamaha RX-V663 Manual

The best advice I can give you is to first read the manual, then this FAQ, then ask your question if you still don't understand. In fact, I will label each section of this FAQ with the appropriate pages of the manual so you can do your own research. Almost all of my advice came from reading the manual and testing stuff out. Some members (not including myself actually) are bothered by simple questions, so please show some courtesy and try to figure out your problem first before posting.

INDEX
1. Why buy the 663 over other receivers?
2. Why buy the 663 over the 863?
3. What is the best price I can get?
4. Known issues
5. General Background on HDMI as related to the 663
6. Connection tips
7. Best setup for other devices (TV, DVD, etc.)
8. Yamaha Sound Field Discussion
9. How to optimize your speakers (YPAO)
10. Why is there only (2,5) lights lit up on my receiver when I am using more speakers than that?
11. Should I bi-amp my fronts with the surround back terminals?

1. Why buy the 663 over other receivers?
I will layout why I chose this receiver over the most popular alternatives available when I was shopping. This is really just a summary of what I gathered from reading the respective threads on avsforum.

Onkyo TX-SR605 - This receiver is notorious for speaker popping issues, heat risks, and the inability to matrix 5.1 pcm to 7.1. I was dead set on this before the 663 was announced.

Onkyo TX-SR705 - More expensive, power increase negligible, noticeable hdmi syncing issues, slight heat issue.

Yamaha RX-V661 - No transcoding to hdmi, no internal decoding of TrueHD and DTS-MA

Pioneer 1018 - This receiver isn't out yet, so comparing them is really trivial at this point. Many have opted to wait for this instead, though.

2. Why buy the 663 over the 863?
Price. Why spend $400 more for one extra hdmi input, a negligible amount of power, a phono input, and upconversion to 1080p? It just isn't worth it, especially at this price point. See this thread for why upconversion/upscaling is generally a joke. Long story short: regular DVD content is 480i, your TV most likely already scales the signal anyway, everything else is just making up info where it wasn't before.

3. What is the best price I can get?
When this receiver was announced, it was discussed in great detail how to get this receiver for $400 shipped from J&R. You can still do this to this day. Simply phone in your order (price not available online) and request the receiver for $400.

Recently, someone reported purchasing the receiver for $350 shipped from 6ave.com. This may or may not be available, you'll have to check.

It has also been reported that the Best Buy employee discount price is $320, so if you know someone who works in an electronic store...

If you find a price lower than $350 shipped, please check the Yamaha website (link above) to ensure that the seller is an authorized dealer. If not, potential headaches await you if your receiver is faulty. Yamaha only honors their warranty if you bought it from an authorized dealer. Is the warranty really worth $20? I think so, you may disagree.

4. Known Issues
If this receiver decodes a bitstream HD audio source, it cannot matrix it from 5.1 to 7.1 (Edit Oct 08: Several users are reporting that True HD can be matrixed to 7.1, but not DTS MA). If the source is 7.1, there is no issue. If the player decodes the audio and sends it as PCM, there is no issue. The 5.1 to 7.1 issue only happens when you try to make the receiver decode and matrix. This should only affect you in the future if/when players stop decoding audio and can only send them as bitstream.

When you switch from an analog video source, such as the on screen display (OSD), to a digital source, such as HDMI, your picture may be green or generally discolored. This is an hdcp handshake issue and can easily be resolved by switching to another digital source and back. This problem does not occur every time; in fact, I only see this issue with my 25ft PC DVI->HDMI connection. Others have reported the problem with older cable boxes.

The remote control has 2 power buttons, one for turning on the unit, and one for turning off the unit. This can be troublesome when programming universal remotes. My dish network remote can only turn on the receiver; I can't find a way to program it to turn off the receiver. Harmony remotes can easily be programmed to control both power buttons, so it's not really a big issue, just something to be aware of.

This receiver has been reported to not pass Blacker Than Black. The HDMI standard says that video should use level 16 for black and level 235 for white, but most other receivers do full BTB. This one doesn't.

5. General Background on HDMI as related to the 663
A lot of people ask questions about converting to hdmi, transcoding hdmi, etc. so I thought I'd put my most common answers here.

(19 manual, 23 pdf) You can transcode every possible input except 1080p component (xbox360) to hdmi. You cannot convert hdmi to anything else. This is not a receiver thing, it's an hdmi rule.

(18 manual, 22 pdf) This receiver can upconvert 480i analog to 480p, but it doesn't do any other kind of scaling/upconverting. See thread above about why upscaling is usually a joke anyways.

If you want to have HD audio, such as TrueHD or DTS-MA, you must use hdmi. Optical and coaxial digital do not have the bandwidth to allow hd audio.

Don't worry about buying $80 monster hdmi cables. $6 monoprice cables work just fine.

6. Connection Tips
(93 manual, 97 pdf) Many people are puzzled by the labels on the back of the unit. Every input can actually be renamed and relabelled, so the words on the back are really just guidelines for quick setup. This is not true for analog audio (red/white or Left/Right) and composite sources however; when you call the VCR source, you can only call the vcr analog audio or composite. In other words, You can call any component or digital audio input for the vcr source, but you can only call the vcr analog input. There is no way to reassign analog audio/video sources.
Example: I have a nintendo wii, which has component video and analog audio. I connect the audio to the vcr analog input and renamed the vcr input as "WII". I then assigned Component C to the vcr (WII) source. When I hit the vcr button on my remote, it calls Component C for video and whatever is hooked up to the vcr analog input for audio.

You can reassign more than one video/audio input for each source button, but the higher quality source will always take precedent. Therefore, if you want to use one source button for more than one input, make sure the higher quality unit is turned off when you want to use the lower quality input.
Example: I have my Wii and PS2 hooked up to vcr (PS2 analog (yellow) video to vcr analog video, ps2 optical to optical 3, wii video to component C, wii audio to vcr audio). If both are on at the same time, I will get PS2 optical audio and wii component video.

(100 manual, 104 pdf) Here are my connections for all my devices, which enables me to use the yamaha remote as a universal remote for everything except the PS3.
PS2: Analog VCR Video, Optical 1 Audio. I use the VCR Button on the remote to call this input.
Wii: Component C Video, Analog VCR Audio. I use the VCR Button on the remote to call this input.
PS3: HDMI 1. I use the DVD Button on the remote to call this input.
HTPC: HDMI 2 Video, Coaxial 1 Audio. I use the DTV/CBL* Button on the remote to call this input.
Dish Network DVR: Component B Video, Optical 2 Audio. I use the DVR Button on the remote to call this input.
*I use the DTV/CBL for my HTPC because the remote can only control one unit per source and this is supposed to be set to control your tv. I have nothing to control on the pc with the remote anyways, so it works.
If I had an xbox360, I would connect the video directly to my tv via component to get 1080p, and coaxial to the receiver for audio.

I prefer the source buttons (DVD, DVR, VCR, etc.) to the scene buttons (1,2,3,4). The scene buttons were incredibly frustrating, but you may disagree.

7. Best setup for other devices (TV, DVD, etc.)
For your tv, search avsforum for the best settings for hdmi on your tv. The settings for my Sony KDL-40V3000 are amazing.

For your dvd player (normal, blu-ray, and hddvd), if bitstream is available, use this. Make sure dolby digital and/or DTS are turned on, or you won't get digital audio. This ensures that the audio decoder you are using shows up on the front of the diplay, which a lot of people are worried about. If you use pcm, it won't tell you the decoder you're using because you won't be using a decoder.
One caveat: If your hd audio source is 5.1, but you want 7.1, you must use the player to decode the audio so the receiver can matrix it to 7.1. Switch to pcm to do this.

For your ps3, set it to pcm. The ps3 cannot output truehd as bitstream, so it must do the decoding for you. You cannot get the receiver to show TrueHD on the front panel with the ps3 (it will show the tiny graphic, but not the big letter display).

For your wii, make sure you have the tv type set to 480p and 16:9. The games still look good when transcoded to hdmi, unlike other receivers I've heard of which stretch the video. Also, set the audio to dolby digital PLIIx

For your ps2, I use analog video because the receiver can convert 480i to 480p, so component progressive scan with the ps2 is not necessary. By using analog video, I am able to combine the ps2 and wii in to one source button (vcr in my case). The yamaha remote can control the ps2, in case you were wondering.

8. Yamaha Sound Field Discussion
(72 manual, 76 pdf, yamaha article) The yamaha sound fields use the data collected during YPAO along with the appropriate digital decoder to optimize the sound for your room. I would suggest trying each out for it's respective situation, but if you aren't satisfied, switch to straight or surround decode. I currently have a 5.0 setup but for a few weeks I had a 3.0 setup. I found the sound fields useful when I only had 3 speakers, but now that I have surround speakers I stick almost exclusively to surround decode. I try to minimize as much as possible the amount of processing done to the audio.

If you have 2 channel sources but want more than 2 speakers running them, try surround decode PLIIx. Use Movie for movies/tv and Music for music sources. You don't really lose much by not having speakers for the extra data, but if you want to try to use the extra data try one of the sound fields.

9. How to optimize your speakers (YPAO)
(32 manual, 36 pdf)
Yup, that's all I'm gonna tell you. Completely described in the manual.

10. Why is there only (2,5) lights lit up on my receiver when I am using more speakers than that?
The lights indicate the input channels, not what's being output. This let's you know if you're getting the dolby digital or truehd you want, not whether you are using them effectively.

11. Should I bi-amp my fronts with the surround back terminals?
Read this article to see if it is practical for you to do it. I didn't feel like doing internal surgery on my speakers, so I left it alone.

Some more info added. Might want to check it out if you have questions.

ADDED ON JUNE 26 08

Quote:

The ATI stand alone video cards(2600, 3850, 4850....etc) will not see the Yamaha RX-V663 and RX-V863 as HDMI devices. Therefore, you CAN NOT currently get "ANY" kind of audio to pass through an HDMI connection from an ATI video card to these Yamaha receivers.

For more information on this issue visit the link below.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post14164779

post #3 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am surprised that Yamaha didn't add another HDMI in to this model.
Even more surprised they subtracted an optical in from the previous model(661).
post #4 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Some discussion of it here a few days ago:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=992866

I like the HDMI conversion (which I'm assuming implies OSD over HDMI).

Edit: Found the manual here:

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/.../RX-V663_U.pdf

I didn't read the whole thing in detail, but I can't tell if it'll apply Dolby ProLogic IIx to LPCM or bitstreamed TrueHD/DTS-HD MA, it only states that it's for DD/DTS signals (p. 92, or p. 96 in my reader window). It does accept DSD like the 661.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post

RX-V663BL 7.2-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver NOTE: The HTR 6160 is the same receiver as the V663!

Not sure if there was a type-O or not but I was able to spot some differences in the specs for those two receivers.

Bring both of the following links up side by side. This will show the differences between the new v663, v683, HTR-6160, and HTR-6180. It looks like the 683 and 6180 are identical. However, the HTR-6160 is actually rated at 10 watts more than the v663 and the 6160 has an HD radio tuner.

Apparently, the newer HTR series are now slightly better than their v series counter part. Both series have the same msrp.

V-series
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/compare/De...p_items=567571
HTR series
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/compare/De...p_items=567572
post #6 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Links dead for me.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 06:38 AM

when is it available?
post #8 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

The single coolest feature of this receiver is the new adaptive dynamic range control. If it works as advertised then this receiver will be a keeper!

It basically says that if the volume is low then the dynamic range will be narrow. If the volume is high then the dynamic range will be greater. So if you turn the volume down then it will make all of the really faint sounds a little bit louder and all of the loud explosions will be a lot quieter.

However, as you turn the volume up the dynamic range affect will be reduced. Therefore, the quiet sounds will be quiet and the loud explosions will be just that, “loud”.

I believe it does all of this without regard to frequency which is great. I want to hear all of the sounds I just don’t want any of them to get too loud. See page 89 of the manual for more details.

This receiver also has a really cool new “initial volume” and “maximum volume” setting. Basically, the initial volume setting controls what volume the receiver is set to when it is turned on. That is perfect for my house where I listen to movies at -6 to -8 Db from reference and my wife and kids listen at about -36 Db from reference. Now I don’t have to remember to lower the volume when I have finished the movie. I can just set the initial volume back to -36 Db and then turn the receiver off. When my wife turns it back on then it will automatically return to -36 Db.

The maximum volume setting just limits the receiver setting from going over the set value. It does limit the output level from going over a certain level like I had originally thought it would. The dynamic range control is actually what is used for volume leveling.

At an MSRP of $549 this receiver is a steal!
post #9 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post

Links dead for me.

Wow they have removed the new receivers from the US site!!!!!!

Maybe someone let the cat out of the bag!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like they're still there, maybe just the comparisons didn't work.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #11 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

Not sure if there was a type-O or not but I was able to spot some differences in the specs for those two receivers.

Bring both of the following links up side by side. This will show the differences between the new v663, v683, HTR-6160, and HTR-6180. It looks like the 683 and 6180 are identical. However, the HTR-6160 is actually rated at 10 watts more than the v663 and the 6160 has an HD radio tuner.

Apparently, the newer HTR series are now slightly better than their v series counter part. Both series have the same msrp.

V-series
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/compare/De...p_items=567570

HTR series
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/compare/De...p_items=567422

The power is the same for both. It's how they're marketed in Big Box stores. As far as the HD tuner, I couldn't find any info on it, but I doubt the RXV model wouldn't have it. One plus is that Yamaha has decided to include 12v trigger on the HTR model. They didn't do it the past few years.

post #12 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:

The single coolest feature of this receiver is the new adaptive dynamic range control. If it works as advertised then this receiver will be a keeper!

This would explain the elimination of the "Night Mode".

The initial volume and max volume features are not new.
post #13 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

This would explain the elimination of the "Night Mode".

The initial volume and max volume features are not new.

Didn't know the max volume and init volume were not new. When did they add them?
post #14 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Didn't know the max volume and init volume were not knew. When did they add them?

Don't know, but I have my 6060 set to -35dbls. And max -8dbl.

post #15 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Two HDMI inputs would kill this for me. Yes, I know they have switches, but I wouldn't want to deal with them.

Three HDMI inputs would be my minimum. One for Tivo, one for a game console and one for a video player.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #16 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Two HDMI inputs would kill this for me. Yes, I know they have switches, but I wouldn't want to deal with them.

Three HDMI inputs would be my minimum. One for Tivo, one for a game console and one for a video player.

I just had my monoprice.com 4 port HDMI 1.3b switch shipped to me for $50 in anticipation of this receiver. Really a simple Harmony remote makes the setup of an external switch a no brainer. Just think what the extra $500, that a single HDMI port costs, could buy you?

Personally, I would rather have a nice new shiny Emotiva 7 Channel amp than one lousy extra HDMI input. Heck my TV only has one HDMI input anyway. That extra input on the receiver does me no good(video wise) because I still can only calibrate the single HDMI input on my TV.

Heck for $1500(3X the price of the receiver but still less than the Yamaha 3800) I could pick up a nice 60 Sony 1080p SXRD! Now that would be a good buy!
post #17 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 11:25 AM

This is great news for me. I was going to blow my budget and and get a RX-V1800. Glad I waited.

I'm a little confused with the specs listed on the website though. Both the RX-V663 and HTR-6160 are listed at the same price, but the HTR has more wattage and has the HD radio tuner.

Do you guys think the HTR is listed wrong?
(hope the link works)

So, these can be pre-ordered?
I'm hot to dump my Sony HTIB receiver.

If it sounds good, it is good. ~ Duke Ellington

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." ~ Peter Clemenza

post #18 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1966 View Post

This is great news for me. I was going to blow my budget and and get a RX-V1800. Glad I waited.

I'm a little confused with the specs listed on the website though. Both the RX-V663 and HTR-6160 are listed at the same price, but the HTR has more wattage and has the HD radio tuner.

Do you guys think the HTR is listed wrong?
(hope the link works)

So, these can be pre-ordered?
I'm hot to dump my Sony HTIB receiver.

One question, how did you get the site to compare a V receiver to an HTR receiver? I have been trying to do that forever.

If you check the HTR-6160 features it says it is 95 Watts per channel. I bet it is a type-O.
post #19 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Figured it out! Here is the HTR-6160, HTR-6180, and V663 comparison!

Just click the comparison link in stead of going into either the V-series page or the htr page first.
post #20 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

It's odd that the HTR counterpart lists HD radio while the 663 does not. That and the extra watts. Its very early and this could be a typo.
post #21 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:

One question, how did you get the site to compare a V receiver to an HTR receiver? I have been trying to do that forever.

If you check the HTR-6160 features it says it is 95 Watts per channel. I bet it is a type-O.

Yeah, I though it was more likely a typo too. Wishful thinking I guess.
Quote:

Figured it out! Here is the HTR-6160, HTR-6180, and V663 comparison!

Just click the comparison link in stead of going into either the V-series page or the htr page first.

I just noticed the 663/6160 doesn't have HD radio. That would be a plus for me if it did. The 863/6180 also has 3 HDMI inputs as well.

Man, I got a $50.00 best buy gift card burning a hole in my pocket.

Do you guys think Best Buy will give the usual $100.00 of MSRP with a pre-oreder?

Maybe I should wait??? I feel so week.
Quick, somebody hide my wallet!

post #22 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I just read through the entire V663 manual. Here are a couple of things I have surmised from it.

1. The OSD should work on any output type even HDMI. It does not have any disclaimers that it doesn’t work over HDMI. Either it works over HDMI or Yamaha is just asking for a lot of returns with this one!
2. There is an error code for “Too many HDMI devices connected”. That one scares me. I can only guess that there is a limit to the number of devices that can be connected to a switch that is connected to this unit. I don’t know how the receiver would know that information though? However, if there is a limit this could seriously hurt the adoption of this receiver.
3. It doesn’t look like there are separate controls for each sub woofer. It just looks like it splits the signal to two subs. Bummer, but not that big a deal.
4. It appears that you can not turn the OSD off. This might be a problem for me. I use HDMI currently but my receiver does not display the OSD over HDMI. Therefore, when I adjust the volume(Always louder) my wife does not see me do it. I can keep creeping the volume up in .5 Db increments and she won’t realize it until I have it about 4-5 Db louder. If the receiver always shows the volume on the screen then I am going to be in trouble.

Can anyone post a picture of what the OSD looks like when you change the volume? Does it display the volume on screen every time you change it?
post #23 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you guys think Best Buy will give the usual $100.00 of MSRP with a pre-oreder?

When have they ever done that before? Where do I sign up?
post #24 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:

When have they ever done that before? Where do I sign up?

I could be wrong and probably are, but I noticed on the Best Buy website the rx-v1800 is selling for $1199.95. The list price is $1299.95. I've noticed this with other similarly priced Yamaha receivers. The $999.95 receivers usually sell for $899.95. It probably doesn't work across the board though.

Ps
Just noticed my typo.

Quote:

"of" should have been "off"

post #25 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 03:05 PM

Forgetting all the format support, is this going to sound any better than the V661? I'm considering V663, V853 and V1800 as replacement for my V793.
post #26 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:

I just read through the entire V663 manual. Here are a couple of things I have surmised from it.

4. It appears that you can not turn the OSD off. This might be a problem for me. I use HDMI currently but my receiver does not display the OSD over HDMI. Therefore, when I adjust the volume(Always louder) my wife does not see me do it. I can keep creeping the volume up in .5 Db increments and she won't realize it until I have it about 4-5 Db louder. If the receiver always shows the volume on the screen then I am going to be in trouble.

Can anyone post a picture of what the OSD looks like when you change the volume? Does it display the volume on screen every time you change it?

If it follows the usual Yamaha trend, including the 661, you can set whether the OSD is present for things like volume change. I forget the exact setting, but it's there.
post #27 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 05:22 PM

*drool*

I'm considering taking my HK-247 back to BB (while still w/in the 30 day return window) and waiting out the release of the yamaha. I've seen "late march" mentioned a couple times on this forum, you guys think thats about right?
post #28 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I wonder if the 663 avoids two well-known LFE/bass management problems.

(1) LFE hole: Does the crossover apply to the LFE channel as well as to the non-LFE channels? If so, then setting a crossover chucks away the upper part (> crossover point) of the LFE channel. As of yet, I can't get an answer from Yamaha support on this with respect to my HTR-5990.

To read up on the LFE-hole issue, look at

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=991439

(2) LFE boost: Does the 663 boost the LFE channel on PCM sent over HDMI? If not, then it is pretty much useless for PCM lossless tracks on HDM (unless your player can boost). According to Yamaha support, my HTR-5990 does not boost.

To read up on the LFE-boost issue, look at

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748147

Moreover, I also would like to know if the 663 can apply PLIIx to 5.1 True-HD/DTS-MA decoded in the receiver.
post #29 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 07:24 PM

This looks pretty darn terrific.

I came here today looking for advice on which model to buy from Future Shop, but I am definitely waiting now.

Mid/Late March is only ~30 days away

Keep the info coming!
post #30 of 11043 Old 02-18-2008, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Outside of the one place that has it available for pre-order is there any info regarding availability? It may be a while before it hits the streets.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page