Bi-wire Stereo Speakers on a Marantz AVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-05-2008, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
RequiemX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have two speakers that are made for bi-wiring. Each as a woofer, tweeter, and "super woofer". There are four wires on each.

I'm planning on picking up a Marantz SR5002 and am wondering if I can use these speakers on it if I flip that "Speaker C" switch.

Is that possible?

(It would only be temporary until I can save up for better speakers: my main need right now is to have multiple audio inputs...)
RequiemX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 04-05-2008, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,402
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Don't. Just connect a jumper between the speaker's + terminals and another between the - terminals. Then one set of speaker cables will do fine.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 04-05-2008, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sivadselim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 16,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by RequiemX View Post

..................... am wondering if I can use these speakers on it if I flip that "Speaker C" switch.

Could you explain a little bit more how you plan to wire things at both the receiver end and the speaker end of things?

What speakers, btw?

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
sivadselim is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 04-05-2008, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
RequiemX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Marantz SR5002 seems to have a switch you can flip on the back called "Speaker C" [why it's called that, who knows...], that uses what are usually spare outputs for a pseudo bi-amp setup.

I was planning on using it with some Panasonic speakers that are designed for a Panasonic stereo that had a bi-amp setup. There are four wires attatched to each speaker. One pair is for highs and the other for lows.

I know they're hardly ideal speakers, but I desperately need multiple inputs right now and would just like to start with a good receiver so I can solve that problem and then pick up some good speakers in a month or two.

I guess I just wanted to make sure it was okay to use these speakers since they came paired with a stereo. The specs seem okay, though (6
Ω, but the Marantz should support that).
RequiemX is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 04-06-2008, 05:04 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member
 
FMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 646
There is no benefit from doing what you propose to do. None. Zero. Follow Kal's advice.
FMW is online now  
post #6 of 9 Old 04-06-2008, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
whoaru99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by RequiemX View Post

The Marantz SR5002 seems to have a switch you can flip on the back called "Speaker C" [why it's called that, who knows...], that uses what are usually spare outputs for a pseudo bi-amp setup.

I was planning on using it with some Panasonic speakers that are designed for a Panasonic stereo that had a bi-amp setup. There are four wires attatched to each speaker. One pair is for highs and the other for lows.

I know they're hardly ideal speakers, but I desperately need multiple inputs right now and would just like to start with a good receiver so I can solve that problem and then pick up some good speakers in a month or two.

I guess I just wanted to make sure it was okay to use these speakers since they came paired with a stereo. The specs seem okay, though (6
Ω, but the Marantz should support that).

Might work, or it might not.

If the Panasonic speakers don't have crossovers and relied on the Panasonic stereo for real bi-amp setup (split high and low frequencies fed to the speakers), you'll probably blow the tweeters doing what you propose.

If not, then it'll work. But, if that's the case, it would work just as well with the high/low pair of wires from each speaker (connected in parallel) to just one set of speaker outputs.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
whoaru99 is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 04-06-2008, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,402
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by RequiemX View Post

The Marantz SR5002 seems to have a switch you can flip on the back called "Speaker C" [why it's called that, who knows...], that uses what are usually spare outputs for a pseudo bi-amp setup.

I was planning on using it with some Panasonic speakers that are designed for a Panasonic stereo that had a bi-amp setup. There are four wires attatched to each speaker. One pair is for highs and the other for lows.

I know they're hardly ideal speakers, but I desperately need multiple inputs right now and would just like to start with a good receiver so I can solve that problem and then pick up some good speakers in a month or two.

I guess I just wanted to make sure it was okay to use these speakers since they came paired with a stereo. The specs seem okay, though (6
Ω, but the Marantz should support that).

Hold on. You didn't tell us that these were the infamous Panasonic biamp speakers!

These are simply unusable since they do not have any built-in crossovers and require an external one. You do not have one and the speakers are not worth the effort/cost to add one. Chuck 'em.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 04-06-2008, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
RequiemX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all the advice. I guess it's off to the speaker-collecting father in-law to see if he might be okay with a couple loaners…

Edit: Oh, and I didn't realize they were infamous! I'm amazed that anybody even knew these things existed.
RequiemX is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 04-06-2008, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,402
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by RequiemX View Post

Thanks for all the advice. I guess it's off to the speaker-collecting father in-law to see if he might be okay with a couple loaners

Edit: Oh, and I didn't realize they were infamous! I'm amazed that anybody even knew these things existed.

You are not the first who has wanted to use these with a real AVR.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off